Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I love that the 2 seat version still has cold seat anchors in the back
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

That GR is going to be a collector item like the 1 series M was. Just due to rarity, the track ones at least.

Yeah I dunno. I like the looks and such but the motor does not sound good and I’m kinda over these type of cars anyway. I applaud them for making it but I’m not the target customer I guess. Like I’d probably really enjoy an automatic MK8 really.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:32 pm That GR is going to be a collector item like the 1 series M was. Just due to rarity, the track ones at least.

Yeah I dunno. I like the looks and such but the motor does not sound good and I’m kinda over these type of cars anyway. I applaud them for making it but I’m not the target customer I guess. Like I’d probably really enjoy an automatic MK8 really.
Yep it'll be just like the 103k + bring a fortune fee FJ.

:disgust:
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:18 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:11 pm

My brother bought 3 cars from his H diller which I assume is how he got it for msrp.

All the hate the GTI gets is for the new infotainment. I don't remember hearing any complaints about handling and power. Dynamically both GTI and R seem to be a big upgrade over Mk7.

GTI actually took an N in edmunds u drag videos. Both DCT's. Mk8's are definitely underrated on power.

I also really like the way it looks... compared to the prior. The infotainment is decent... Its not as good as switches I suppose. But for a 1/4 second interaction every drive I hardly see a problem.
Just get rid of the ramz
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:53 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:24 am

You already know if won't fail. There are plenty of rich suckers out there.
If it alienates a lot of us it surely will alienate a lot of others. It destroys the brand also when you fuck with customers like that. People are only willing to put up with so much shit… for example we’re currently witnessing Honda self destruction.

They decided to build way less cars than demand as a case study. I don’t believe for one second that there is any sort of “shortage” at this point. That may have been true in 21 but it is no longer the case in 22.

They are destroying the brand as we speak. Every single dealer in Cali (biggest market in the us) at least is fucking their customers… and they won’t be back anytime soon.
Dealer loyalty across the industry is at record lows, same with brand loyalty. Not only that, but all of these people paying markups are instantly under water, and it's only going to get worse as vehicle depreciation accelerates. Lease mix is decimated because financing is cheaper than leasing right now (thanks to markups in large part), but leasing brought people back to market on a predictable 24-36mo cycle. Now that cycle is gone. And because so many people will be underwater, they won't be able to come back to "upgrade" at the intervals dealers are used to. People will be forced to stay in vehicles for longer.

Dealers are royally screwing themselves in the long run for short term gain. The automotive retail environment will be destroyed for a long time because of the last few years.

What's that mean for us? New car deals are gonna get GOOD in the next few years. Right now is probably the worst time ever to buy a new vehicle as dealers cling to greed despite seeing the writing on the wall. Paying markup for a car has always been dumb, but right now it's :fullretard: with what's on the horizon.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:48 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:53 am

If it alienates a lot of us it surely will alienate a lot of others. It destroys the brand also when you fuck with customers like that. People are only willing to put up with so much shit… for example we’re currently witnessing Honda self destruction.

They decided to build way less cars than demand as a case study. I don’t believe for one second that there is any sort of “shortage” at this point. That may have been true in 21 but it is no longer the case in 22.

They are destroying the brand as we speak. Every single dealer in Cali (biggest market in the us) at least is fucking their customers… and they won’t be back anytime soon.
Dealer loyalty across the industry is at record lows, same with brand loyalty. Not only that, but all of these people paying markups are instantly under water, and it's only going to get worse as vehicle depreciation accelerates. Lease mix is decimated because financing is cheaper than leasing right now (thanks to markups in large part), but leasing brought people back to market on a predictable 24-36mo cycle. Now that cycle is gone. And because so many people will be underwater, they won't be able to come back to "upgrade" at the intervals dealers are used to. People will be forced to stay in vehicles for longer.

Dealers are royally screwing themselves in the long run for short term gain. The automotive retail environment will be destroyed for a long time because of the last few years.

What's that mean for us? New car deals are gonna get GOOD in the next few years. Right now is probably the worst time ever to buy a new vehicle as dealers cling to greed despite seeing the writing on the wall. Paying markup for a car has always been dumb, but right now it's :fullretard: with what's on the horizon.
I feel like I am witnessing a financial crisis far worse than 2006/7... and people are just continuing to double down on debt laden "i need to have x y or z" lifecycle... I have no idea how we all will come out of this...

There is a student loan crisis + a housing crisis + auto loan crisis... at the VERY LEAST at the moment. Vs just a housing crisis prior... insanity.

imagine making 50k a year and financing a 25k car for 35k after markup an taxes... then losing your job... and being upside down on the near lot.

That will be the situation for the vast majority of :derp: s very soon... preaching to the choir but I got fucked hard during the last recession while people got "bailed out". Lets see how this one goes. I fear more of the same... get bailed out for all your wrong decisions by Zaddy gov.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:00 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:48 pm

I feel like I am witnessing a financial crisis far worse than 2006/7... and people are just continuing to double down on debt laden "i need to have x y or z" lifecycle... I have no idea how we all will come out of this...

There is a student loan crisis + a housing crisis + auto loan crisis... at the VERY LEAST at the moment. Vs just a housing crisis prior... insanity.

imagine making 50k a year and financing a 25k car for 35k after markup an taxes... then losing your job... and being upside down on the near lot.

That will be the situation for the vast majority of :derp: s very soon... preaching to the choir but I got fucked hard during the last recession while people got "bailed out". Lets see how this one goes. I fear more of the same... get bailed out for all your wrong decisions by Zaddy gov.
Exactly. Vehicle repo rates gonna go nuts.

Can't repo a house :doe: . Housing values have been inflated for a while as well, and unlike a car that can just be repo'd, a house takes a lot of effort to get out of. And a lot of people are way overextended on houses because hOuSE pRicES gO uP 4eVeR so short sales, and etc gonna be a big thing again.

And yes, once again people will get bailed out. "Everything Loan bailout" will probably be the theme of 23-24. Which really :rage: me because once again being responsible and conservative will be the wrong approach.

:rolleyes: :popcorn:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Cheese

Got back from Houston Monday night, figured I’d drop my thoughts on the GV80 we had as a rental via Turo.

Man do you feel :waxer: driving one of these. It has such a strong presence.

It looks like a Bentley to the average :derp:. Every relative we visited, every place we pulled up to for the wedding events, people were intrigued.

The interior was real comfy, all the materials felt high end and the fit and finish was great. Road noise was really quiet, the infotainment and sound system were superb. The driver aids were intuitive and a step above what we have in our MDX. At stoplights if the car in front is pulling away and you don’t get moving the car will show a notification in the gauge cluster to let you know, the adaptive cruise has a lane change assist that matches the speed of the car in the lane you’re trying to change to instead of just in front of you once you put your signal on, and lane keep assist perfectly centered the car on most roads and even tracked the movement of the car in front to fill in when it couldn’t see the lines clearly. Very :fancy:

It had the 2.5 L turbo inline 4, and surprisingly it gets up and goes pretty well. It didn’t feel like it was too slow at any time and was actually kind of enjoyable to drive quickly. Only downside imo is over large slow bumps the suspension was a little too stiff, taking away from the otherwise luxury car float feeling. But I feel like this is what made it so well composed in other handling scenarios.

I enjoyed this a lot. So did my mom, to the point she REALLY wants one to replace the MDX with. Our parents told my brother and I to surprise them with the choice of car and I think we accomplished that :lolol:

And of course I had to be headass and take a photo dressed up with the car.

Mk6 Jetta 1.8T with sketchy history (sold) -> :cheese:
IG: @cheesy_miata and @adeebsal
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:17 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:00 pm

Can't repo a house :doe: . Housing values have been inflated for a while as well, and unlike a car that can just be repo'd, a house takes a lot of effort to get out of. And a lot of people are way overextended on houses because hOuSE pRicES gO uP 4eVeR so short sales, and etc gonna be a big thing again.

And yes, once again people will get bailed out. "Everything Loan bailout" will probably be the theme of 23-24. Which really :rage: me because once again being responsible and conservative will be the wrong approach.

Max says this all the time. Lookit. There is not one god damned thing wrong with having a conscience and being a decent human being. Turns out, some of us actually get a better sleep at night knowing that our bills are paid and will be for the foreseeable future. You, me, Max, errbody on this effin forum. It is not the :wrong: approach. We literally have a barcalounger and a cooler of beer with the best seats in the house for watching the world burn. Might even be able to get a few sweet deals. This is OUR TIME.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:40 pm

Max says this all the time. Lookit. There is not one god damned thing wrong with having a conscience and being a decent human being. Turns out, some of us actually get a better sleep at night knowing that our bills are paid and will be for the foreseeable future. You, me, Max, errbody on this effin forum. It is not the :wrong: approach. We literally have a barcalounger and a cooler of beer with the best seats in the house for watching the world burn. Might even be able to get a few sweet deals. This is OUR TIME.
Maybe...it wouldn't surprise me if the .gov steps in with "loan relief" or some shit to prevent mass :nuke: and keep people in their cars and homes. Which would keep prices high and inflation beyond the point of responsible actions. I could be rolling in a new TRX ZFG rather than a 23 year old homeless truck if the .gov would pick up the bill when I can't "afford" it anymore.
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:57 pm

Maybe...it wouldn't surprise me if the .gov steps in with "loan relief" or some shit to prevent mass :nuke: and keep people in their cars and homes. Which would keep prices high and inflation beyond the point of responsible actions. I could be rolling in a new TRX ZFG rather than a 23 year old homeless truck if the .gov would pick up the bill when I can't "afford" it anymore.
I would like a new TRX as well, I gotta admit.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

adoob wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:38 pm Got back from Houston Monday night, figured I’d drop my thoughts on the GV80 we had as a rental via Turo.

It looks like a Bentley to the average :derp:. Every relative we visited, every place we pulled up to for the wedding events, people were intrigued.

The interior was real comfy, all the materials felt high end and the fit and finish was great. Road noise was really quiet, the infotainment and sound system were superb. The driver aids were intuitive and a step above what we have in our MDX. At stoplights if the car in front is pulling away and you don’t get moving the car will show a notification in the gauge cluster to let you know, the adaptive cruise has a lane change assist that matches the speed of the car in the lane you’re trying to change to instead of just in front of you once you put your signal on, and lane keep assist perfectly centered the car on most roads and even tracked the movement of the car in front to fill in when it couldn’t see the lines clearly. Very :fancy:

It had the 2.5 L turbo inline 4, and surprisingly it gets up and goes pretty well. It didn’t feel like it was too slow at any time and was actually kind of enjoyable to drive quickly. Only downside imo is over large slow bumps the suspension was a little too stiff, taking away from the otherwise luxury car float feeling. But I feel like this is what made it so well composed in other handling scenarios.

I enjoyed this a lot. So did my mom, to the point she REALLY wants one to replace the MDX with. Our parents told my brother and I to surprise them with the choice of car and I think we accomplished that :lolol:

:nice: review. I see one of these every once in a while during my neighborhood walks, and it does look pretty great. Not surprised it was equally great to drive. Any interior pics?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh

The BBK for the Tahoe has arrived, according to my wife. The box was apparently handled by many :angrypanda: I have the install scheduled for tomorrow.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:18 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:55 pm After :tits: and I will move in together the next summer, im strongly considering trading my accord for a :manuel: supra
What does one have to do with other? Newsflash
Attaturk: Women destroy freedom. I would get the dickmobile PRIOR to shacking
She doesn't dictate my car decisions as long as im responsible financially
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:31 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:18 pm

What does one have to do with other? Newsflash
Attaturk: Women destroy freedom. I would get the dickmobile PRIOR to shacking
Yep. Ain’t nobody will duck into a Supra and get their head bobbed every stop light.
But I live a quarter mile at a time, what should I do?
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:38 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:31 pm

Yep. Ain’t nobody will duck into a Supra and get their head bobbed every stop light.
You know who to ask. The thing that bleeds every 28 days and doesn’t die
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:20 pm The BBK for the Tahoe has arrived, according to my wife. The box was apparently handled by many :angrypanda: I have the install scheduled for tomorrow.
Let’s see the before and after … also. Is this handled by yours truly or are you outsourcing?
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:45 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:20 pm The BBK for the Tahoe has arrived, according to my wife. The box was apparently handled by many :angrypanda: I have the install scheduled for tomorrow.
Let’s see the before and after … also. Is this handled by yours truly or are you outsourcing?
I'm taking it to my dude. The calipers seem straighforward enough I'm not sure I have the right tools to swap out the rotors.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:44 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:38 pm

You know who to ask. The thing that bleeds every 28 days and doesn’t die
Sorry, I just had hibachi
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

adoob wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:38 pm Got back from Houston Monday night, figured I’d drop my thoughts on the GV80 we had as a rental via Turo.

I like these alot. They're pretty prevalent around here.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Cheese

wap wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:25 pm
:nice: review. I see one of these every once in a while during my neighborhood walks, and it does look pretty great. Not surprised it was equally great to drive. Any interior pics?
Sadly didn’t grab any. I wish I did in hindsight, there’s a ton of little texture details throughout the interior that show how much thought was put into the design. All the interior lighting plastics and some of the other plastics has the same pattern as the grille physically etched into it below the clear as a reflective thing instead of just a printed design, the shifter dial is made of glass (or really high quality clear plastic idk) and lights up like a jewel in the same color as the rest of the interior ambient lighting (configurable colors and brightness). Just a really :impressive: looking and feeling place to be.
Mk6 Jetta 1.8T with sketchy history (sold) -> :cheese:
IG: @cheesy_miata and @adeebsal
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

adoob wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:06 pm
wap wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:25 pm
Sadly didn’t grab any. I wish I did in hindsight, there’s a ton of little texture details throughout the interior that show how much thought was put into the design. All the interior lighting plastics and some of the other plastics has the same pattern as the grille physically etched into it below the clear as a reflective thing instead of just a printed design, the shifter dial is made of glass (or really high quality clear plastic idk) and lights up like a jewel in the same color as the rest of the interior ambient lighting (configurable colors and brightness). Just a really :impressive: looking and feeling place to be.
Sounds really :neat: !
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
golftdibrad1
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:35 am
golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:15 am Looks like im buying a mazdaspeed miata.
:hibachi:
:sass:

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
golftdibrad1
Drives: on used bald tires

bold 1
There were plently of debt slaves on this forum.... and now there are not. correlation is not causation but..... interesting no?

Bold 2
I won't tell everyone what I paid for the MSM, but if you are curious I'll pm you :D
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:53 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:35 am
:hibachi:
:sass:

In THE color. While not my personal favorite on that car it's the one I think about when I hear MS Miata