Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

This car leaves me totally :flaccid: for some reason.

Also, :wtf: was that Savagegeese video?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

coogles wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:51 am This car leaves me totally :flaccid: for some reason.

Watching the savagegeese one now and it doesn't seem out of the ordinary?
golftdibrad1
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Looks like im buying a mazdaspeed miata.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:00 am
coogles wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:51 am This car leaves me totally :flaccid: for some reason.

:lolol: I just tried watching again...I 100% thought the guy was speaking Japanese, but it was English (sorta), hence the lack of subtitles. I was so confused..."Is this whole video going to be in Japanese?"

Severe lack of attention span this morning, it would seem.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:15 am Looks like im buying a mazdaspeed miata.
:hibachi:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:24 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:00 am

:lolol: I just tried watching again...I 100% thought the guy was speaking Japanese, but it was English (sorta), hence the lack of subtitles. I was so confused..."Is this whole video going to be in Japanese?"

Severe lack of attention span this morning, it would seem.
:lol: That would explain it.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I don’t know if I like the GR rolla still … it has a Corolla badge … which is frankly :disgust: … it will be harder to buy than a Lamborghini …. And it’s still fairly ugly for what it is… I’d rather buy a used m2 or s3. Don’t really see the hype with the GR.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

New hot hatches are always a welcome addition since the segment seems to by dying off.

It's just a shame it'll be kept behind the velvet ropes at the :dillerman: probably asking $100k for one.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:58 am New hot hatches are always a welcome addition since the segment seems to by dying off.

It's just a shame it'll be kept behind the velvet ropes at the :dillerman: probably asking $100k for one.
Base GR rolla should be $29,995 given where the wrx is priced. Which is arguably a better car in almost every way… the track focused Gr rolla should have had the dodge demon style $1 option to add rear seats back and be 34,995. 50k for a 2 seater Corolla is just smocking crack. Who is even the customer for this ? Other than perhaps a collector.

Like the whole point of a hot hatch is to be practical and do it all. You take those elements away what the fk is the point
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:03 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:58 am New hot hatches are always a welcome addition since the segment seems to by dying off.

Base GR rolla should be $29,995 given where the wrx is priced. Which is arguably a better car in almost every way… the track focused Gr rolla should have had the dodge demon style $1 option to add rear seats back and be 34,995. 50k for a 2 seater Corolla is just smocking crack. Who is even the customer for this ? Other than perhaps a collector.

Like the whole point of a hot hatch is to be practical and do it all. You take those elements away what the fk is the point
The Morizo edition is pure vaporware so forget about that one. The regular Circuit trim is $42k loaded which is priced in line with the competition.
ChrisoftheNorth

Not only that, but it shouldn't be some unobtainium limited production collector :bs: Make the fucking thing available for anyone who wants to buy it, it's a fucking Corolla, not a Veyron.

That's the part that makes me :rage: the most. I still really want one, but I'm not jumping through hoops for one, which will probably be required for the entire production run.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:15 am

Not only that, but it shouldn't be some unobtainium limited production collector :bs: Make the fucking thing available for anyone who wants to buy it, it's a fucking Corolla, not a Veyron.

That's the part that makes me :rage: the most. I still really want one, but I'm not jumping through hoops for one, which will probably be required for the entire production run.
Exactly ! I have been looking for a manual Tacoma … for 2-3 months now… doing the same for a Corolla is just a whole lotta :disgust: Toyotas are NOT that desirable. I can walk in next door and buy a gti for 31k and for fucks sake don’t tell me how much better a Toyota is for 37k because it has awd. At the end of the day it’s a bargain basement Toyota. No thanks
max225

I’m dying on this hill… also I can get a :manuel: last gen of i6 gas engine powered arguably collectible bmw m3 in any color that I want for 75k… just by placing an order to my specification… paying 51k for the privilege of sucking some random Toyota dealers dick who won’t let you pick a color or charge an entire base Corolla of markup on top of that … for what ?
:nope: :rage: :nope: hope it fucking fails as it should
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:19 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:15 am

Exactly ! I have been looking for a manual Tacoma … for 2-3 months now… doing the same for a Corolla is just a whole lotta :disgust: Toyotas are NOT that desirable. I can walk in next door and buy a gti for 31k and for fucks sake don’t tell me how much better a Toyota is for 37k because it has awd. At the end of the day it’s a bargain basement Toyota. No thanks
It shouldn't be this hard to buy a :manuel: Tacoma either. It's a run of the mill :truk: and I agree, it would be hard to jump through hoops for this Corolla when you get get a GTI without much effort. If AWD were critical, WRXs are pretty easy to get and cheaper as well. I don't hate the look as much as most.

BUT I'm hoping some economic :nuke: will normalize the car market a bit.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:22 am I’m dying on this hill… also I can get a :manuel: last gen of i6 gas engine powered arguably collectible bmw m3 in any color that I want for 75k… just by placing an order to my specification… paying 51k for the privilege of sucking some random Toyota dealers dick who won’t let you pick a color or charge an entire base Corolla of markup on top of that … for what ?
You already know if won't fail. There are plenty of rich suckers out there.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Honestly I like the Elantra N more than the Rolla anyway. Seems to have way more character and a better, useable interior.
ChrisoftheNorth

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:24 am
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:22 am I’m dying on this hill… also I can get a :manuel: last gen of i6 gas engine powered arguably collectible bmw m3 in any color that I want for 75k… just by placing an order to my specification… paying 51k for the privilege of sucking some random Toyota dealers dick who won’t let you pick a color or charge an entire base Corolla of markup on top of that … for what ?
And production is way too limited. They'll sell everyone they pound out with a markup no problem. Idiots.
ChrisoftheNorth

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:26 am Honestly I like the Elantra N more than the Rolla anyway. Seems to have way more character and a better, useable interior.
I just wish it wasn't so hideous...

It's like the front fascia was ripped off the middle or something.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:27 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:26 am Honestly I like the Elantra N more than the Rolla anyway. Seems to have way more character and a better, useable interior.

I know I'm in the minority but I actually think it looks good. My brother blacked out the H badges, removed the Elantra lettering from the trunk, and got tint done and I like the way it looks.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

To me, the Elantra is like that one chick in high school. If you look at her features individually, big nose, weird smile, not much in the :tits: area, but somehow, taken as a whole, you'd still :woodplow: .

That's the Elantra. The whole is far greater than the sum of its parts.

:wrong:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:33 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:27 am

I know I'm in the minority but I actually think it looks good. My brother blacked out the H badges, removed the Elantra lettering from the trunk, and got tint done and I like the way it looks.
I don’t mind it and I’d agree that it is at least equal in looks to the gr especially in that color.

Also apparently you can’t get that without markup either. So, no thanks. The new gti is really not bad I don’t understand all the hate it’s getting
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin

You are. Which I appreciate. The Corolla looks a lot more boss than the VW and will hold its value much better. I am allured by this vehicle at MSRP but I haven't sat in one.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:24 am
If it alienates a lot of us it surely will alienate a lot of others. It destroys the brand also when you fuck with customers like that. People are only willing to put up with so much shit… for example we’re currently witnessing Honda self destruction.

They decided to build way less cars than demand as a case study. I don’t believe for one second that there is any sort of “shortage” at this point. That may have been true in 21 but it is no longer the case in 22.

They are destroying the brand as we speak. Every single dealer in Cali (biggest market in the us) at least is fucking their customers… and they won’t be back anytime soon.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:49 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:33 am

I don’t mind it and I’d agree that it is at least equal in looks to the gr especially in that color.

Also apparently you can’t get that without markup either. So, no thanks. The new gti is really not bad I don’t understand all the hate it’s getting
My brother bought 3 cars from his H diller which I assume is how he got it for msrp.

All the hate the GTI gets is for the new infotainment. I don't remember hearing any complaints about handling and power. Dynamically both GTI and R seem to be a big upgrade over Mk7.

GTI actually took an N in edmunds u drag videos. Both DCT's. Mk8's are definitely underrated on power.

max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:11 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:49 am

My brother bought 3 cars from his H diller which I assume is how he got it for msrp.

All the hate the GTI gets is for the new infotainment. I don't remember hearing any complaints about handling and power. Dynamically both GTI and R seem to be a big upgrade over Mk7.

GTI actually took an N in edmunds u drag videos. Both DCT's. Mk8's are definitely underrated on power.

I also really like the way it looks... compared to the prior. The infotainment is decent... Its not as good as switches I suppose. But for a 1/4 second interaction every drive I hardly see a problem.