OT 16: A pirate's life for me!

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:47 am
Apex wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:19 am 11 calendar days until I fire off my Pirate Letter. :excited:
Trying to make it so my last day hits in August so benefits cover that month too.
:excited:

Smart on ending in august so you have benefits covered, but I HIGHLY suggest making your last day on a pay day. If it's between pay days, things can get weird.

I was walked out of GM between pay days. I got paid in full after I was done, then they sent me a "bill" for what I hadn't worked. I paid it, then they sent me another bill for something that didn't make sense. I called and they :sass: about something, so I paid it too...it was like $80. A few weeks later, they sent me a check for the amount of the second bill. Ok.

Then they sent me a bill for the rest of the month of healtcare I didn't pay for...and because I wasn't an employee it was for the higher non employee amount...pushing $1k for 2 weeks. I ignored it because the month had passed and I didn't use the benefits at all. What was the worst they could do...cancel the coverage I retroactively that I didn't use? They later sent a letter claiming that bill was an error.

In hindsight, I would have quit on the last payday of a month.
:ohdang: that's some :bs:

I'll have to check what the pay-schedule looks like to see where that lands.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:57 am

Smart on ending in august so you have benefits covered, but I HIGHLY suggest making your last day on a pay day. If it's between pay days, things can get weird.

I was walked out of GM between pay days. I got paid in full after I was done, then they sent me a "bill" for what I hadn't worked. I paid it, then they sent me another bill for something that didn't make sense. I called and they :sass: about something, so I paid it too...it was like $80. A few weeks later, they sent me a check for the amount of the second bill. Ok.

Then they sent me a bill for the rest of the month of healtcare I didn't pay for...and because I wasn't an employee it was for the higher non employee amount...pushing $1k for 2 weeks. I ignored it because the month had passed and I didn't use the benefits at all. What was the worst they could do...cancel the coverage I retroactively that I didn't use? They later sent a letter claiming that bill was an error.

Yep, just something to think about.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

yes...and think pay periods and not pay day because depending on what you do its different. Like over in consulting world, its staggered a week.
brain go brrrrrr
Apex

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:17 pm

yes...and think pay periods and not pay day because depending on what you do its different. Like over in consulting world, its staggered a week.
:word: Our cycles are staggered a week here.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:25 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:46 pm

We have earthquake insurance, but :whocares: I have always viewed the big one as an opportunity to work remotely from Puerto Vallarta on our book of business' insurance issues due to Armageddon, at least a couple million bucks worth of work there, and then retire.

I'll send you a photo of my demolished Cali Shitbox with me holding a frosty glass with three fingers of Lagavulin in it, giving no fucks whatsoever. All these people whose "lives are destroyed" because their house gets wiped out by natural disaster? That ain't me son, that ain't me you're looking for. Send my insurance check to the hotel.
I'll keep a bottle of Laga set aside for you to Fed ex immediately assuming the west coast supply was wiped out.
Thank you in advance!
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Apex wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:19 am 11 calendar days until I fire off my Pirate Letter. :excited:
Trying to make it so my last day hits in August so benefits cover that month too.

Northrop tried to do that when I got fired. I was supposed to get fired on a Tuesday, and they had my last check ready to go for that. I found out the day before and confronted my boss. We talked to Hr and they told me I could just leave then, so I did. They sent me a bill for Tuesday's pay a few months later.
SAWCE

I love getting paid weekly at this new gig. Very nice. I have my budget set up based on 4 checks a month, but then every third month I get an “extra” check since there’s 52 weeks in the year and not 48.
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:17 pm

Ohhh, this is a good point.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:31 pm I love getting paid weekly at this new gig. Very nice. I have my budget set up based on 4 checks a month, but then every third month I get an “extra” check since there’s 52 weeks in the year and not 48.
I get paid monthly at my new gig. Not a major deal, but it's been an interesting adjustment from every other week.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:33 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:31 pm I love getting paid weekly at this new gig. Very nice. I have my budget set up based on 4 checks a month, but then every third month I get an “extra” check since there’s 52 weeks in the year and not 48.
I get paid monthly at my new gig. Not a major deal, but it's been an interesting adjustment from every other week.
Very interesting. My gig before this was bi monthly. 15th and 30th. Was meh.
Apex

Aug 1st would be a pay-day which is off the pay-cycle by a week; week we get paid is for the 2 weeks prior.
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:04 am
Desertbreh wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:05 pm

Yeah, except for potentially getting killed, the big one is just life :plac: for me. A welcome one at that.
It's an interesting move. Earthquake insurance is :waxer: AF. Very few in the region have it, so while the entire society crumbles, how do you escape?
This area is a retirement/leisure mecca. There are vast tracts of high end housing that is paid for lock, stock and barrel with EQ insurance on it. Years of insurance issues. Regular joes just making payments with no EQ insurance? They walk away, hand the keys to the bank, and some guy in Detroit sees a cheap winter property for sale. That's all paying work for me.

Mega zombie So Cal apocalypse that destroys multiple cities? That will probably affect everyone.

In any event I would prefer to walk out of here unscathed in about 5 years and get a condo in Ensenada and one in Flagstaff/Sedona. I'll find a double lot in AZ and Clan Funsponge can build a compound
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:55 pm
It's an interesting move. Earthquake insurance is :waxer: AF. Very few in the region have it, so while the entire society crumbles, how do you escape?
This area is a retirement/leisure mecca. There are vast tracts of high end housing that is paid for lock, stock and barrel with EQ insurance on it. Years of insurance issues. Regular joes just making payments with no EQ insurance? They walk away, hand the keys to the bank, and some guy in Detroit sees a cheap winter property for sale. That's all paying work for me.

Mega zombie So Cal apocalypse that destroys multiple cities? That will probably affect everyone.

In any event I would prefer to walk out of here unscathed in about 5 years and get a condo in Ensenada and one in Flagstaff/Sedona. I'll find a double lot in AZ and Clan Funsponge can build a compound
:amazing: :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:55 pm

:amazing: :bravo:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:50 pm Aug 1st would be a pay-day which is off the pay-cycle by a week; week we get paid is for the 2 weeks prior.
Oh, nice. So leaving really is NBD then since they're paying you for work done prior.

:excited: for pirate letter.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

I'd be down for building a compound somewhere warm.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:07 am Went to this “interactive” art thing last night. Third year they’ve had it, called Wonderspaces. First year, all the exhibits were really cool. Last year they were okay. This year they were all meh. We’ll probably go again next year if it comes around again, hoping it gets back to what it used to be, but if it’s rolling through any of your cities this year and you were interested in checking it out, save the $27 and skip it.
$27 peep show? You got got.
Desertbreh

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:02 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:29 pm

Thank you in advance!
I mean if you're going to fiddle on the ruins it's incumbent on me to make sure you're drinking well while you do.
:lol: For sure.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:08 am
SAWCE wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:07 am Went to this “interactive” art thing last night. Third year they’ve had it, called Wonderspaces. First year, all the exhibits were really cool. Last year they were okay. This year they were all meh. We’ll probably go again next year if it comes around again, hoping it gets back to what it used to be, but if it’s rolling through any of your cities this year and you were interested in checking it out, save the $27 and skip it.
:wat: is "interactive art"?
It’s where you pay to make your own avocado toast.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
SAWCE

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:19 pm
razr390 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:17 pm

Ok. Laughed out loud at this.
Same. Well done Roodie.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:02 pm I'd be down for building a compound somewhere warm.
Especially in that region of AZ. It's my favorite part of the country.
SAWCE

It’s nice how quick the work days seem to go coming in at 6:30. Half hour lunch and on my way home at 3:00 :nice:
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:27 pm It’s nice how quick the work days seem to go coming in at 6:30. Half hour lunch and on my way home at 3:00 :nice:
:nice: I'm waking up at 6:30 these days. :lol:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

razr390 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:08 am
:wat: is "interactive art"?
:amaze:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

GF got approved for Medicaid. :fuckyeah:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.