Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:09 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:49 pm

Your life is not the beacon of truth. Plenty of others do things differently. 24/7 availability has been key around here based on the vast majority of people that I know around here. "leaving emails at work post 5pm" has not been a thing since the blackberry here.
And nor is yours. People think they don't have any power. If everyone refused, it wouldn't be an issue. It's a cultural issue at certain work places that is VERY easy to assess before you join somewhere.
Legit curious how you assess such an issue.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:13 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:50 pm

Those that know.. know... others will always hate in the comments. Like the $2500 chevy lumina drivers.
Or those of us that have seen behind the curtain with our own eyes.

Lots of smoke, mirror and rubber bands holding things together.
:howdareu:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:23 am
Apex wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:21 am

Which makes them cheap AF? Could be a good option for your grand tour.
They are absolutely cheap as dog shit. If there was an AWD one I'd have bought it by now. Partly for the trip, partly because they're so fucking usable I can't even. Promaster City, a tiny little dick van, can fit a pallet between the wheel wells! The back is a square, literally anything will fit in it. 30 MPG, NA motor, good handling.... what's not to like aside from the hideous looks?
Source?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:03 pm Every job is different you :gay: 's ... for most of us that made the switch from herding cattle to support a service economy, emails/questions come in 24/7 thanks to advancements in tech that makes you always connected. I can and do talk to people all over the world without having to physically be there... :mindblown: imagine that... Next up... no in person meeting no care.
I would say that 90% of my meetings are Webex where nobody is in the reserved conference room.

Every room is almost always booked, but most of the time they are completely empty. I grab a room at random when needed and never get kicked out. I just turn off the video conference system and hold my 1:1.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:15 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:13 pm
Legit curious how you assess such an issue.
Glassdoor tells you eevvvverrryyyy thing. Spend an hour on there before you apply for a job and you'll know Tammy in the Topeka office wears too much perfume. It's a gold mine.
It's been hard for me as I assess other companies through glassdoor since a lot of the places I'm applying to have large factory workforces and it's all complaints about stuff that wouldn't apply to what I would do. I can't really find many reviews that pertain to corp office. From my experience, the "never disconnected" mentality can stem from just one or two managers, and not an entire corporate culture.

In my last job at my current company, nobody cared about weekend responses. But I did anyway (trying to get ahead or whatever), and got noticed by my new boss who's high up in a different department and sent an e-mail to my entire group on a Saturday afternoon and I was the only one to respond. Got me my new job, for better or worse.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:58 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:57 pm
No work e-mail on any phone at all?

Then no weekend replies IMO. Opening the computer just to check e-mails is a :nope:
These guys are living in the future by living in the past. :mindblown:

Next up.. no telegram no care.
It's just a simple concept of prioritization to break people of their habits of thinking every little bullshit thing they send requires my immediate attention by placing accountability back on them. It's not living in the past or making myself unavailable or difficult to work with. Everybody complains about the incessant emailing that goes on at their job 24/7 and how it infiltrates their personal lives. So much so that New York is the latest in governing bodies to introduce legislature to combat the insanity: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/new-y ... 2019-01-18
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:19 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:15 pm

Glassdoor tells you eevvvverrryyyy thing. Spend an hour on there before you apply for a job and you'll know Tammy in the Topeka office wears too much perfume. It's a gold mine.
It's been hard for me as I assess other companies through glassdoor since a lot of the places I'm applying to have large factory workforces and it's all complaints about stuff that wouldn't apply to what I would do. I can't really find many reviews that pertain to corp office. From my experience, the "never disconnected" mentality can stem from just one or two managers, and not an entire corporate culture.

In my last job at my current company, nobody cared about weekend responses. But I did anyway (trying to get ahead or whatever), and got noticed by my new boss who's high up in a different department and sent an e-mail to my entire group on a Saturday afternoon and I was the only one to respond. Got me my new job, for better or worse.
:howdareyou: should have staged a walk out instead vs trying to get ahead
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:24 pm

One thing you can do is sort by office and function. I find that very useful. Also, bold is certainly true and second paragraph is :impressive:

I also do have to admit I'm at the level where I can basically tell people to fuck off. Which changes things substantially.
Everyone can do this. The results of the interaction happen to be diff for various individuals and roles.

A ceo of a multi national corp telling someone to fuck off has a different implication, vs Joe Shmoe at the local compost center
Desertbreh

Wow. So NOT car chat.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:31 pm Wow. So NOT car chat.
go back a few pages so you can tell me how :wrong: I am about exploring the option of getting rid of the minivan for a cheaper used CUV
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:24 pm

One thing you can do is sort by office and function. I find that very useful. Also, bold is certainly true and second paragraph is :impressive:

I also do have to admit I'm at the level where I can basically tell people to fuck off. Which changes things substantially.
Interesting. I need to play with the site a bit more.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:25 pm

:howdareyou: should have staged a walk out instead vs trying to get ahead
Joke's on me because new job sucks and has gotten me nowhere other than great experience on my resume to take elsewhere.
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:13 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:10 am

Tesla might not be too concerned though. They have VAG buying into their battery and power delivery technology.
I dunno man...for how much capital they lit on fire getting the Model 3 up to scale, they're going to need to move a shitload to make it pay off. And debt is coming due, the reaper is coming.
Its getting more complex for Tesla. A ton of new cars on the road and they need to be supported for some years for warranty. The bills are going to come due.
ChrisoftheNorth

Davestr wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:40 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:13 am
I dunno man...for how much capital they lit on fire getting the Model 3 up to scale, they're going to need to move a shitload to make it pay off. And debt is coming due, the reaper is coming.
Its getting more complex for Tesla. A ton of new cars on the road and they need to be supported for some years for warranty. The bills are going to come due.
Warranty and service will be the end for sure.

But I'm sure there's a rich Chinese trillionaire who will swoop in and scoop up the pieces.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:05 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:04 pm

Nah. The STI doesn't intrigue me like the WRX does.
:sad:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Apex wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:03 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:02 pm

He shoulda bought a :jeep:
The small ones are even Italian! :hue:
We have one, it just has a Fiat badge
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:12 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:08 am

Typical conversation here is:
"Did Bobby come in last weekend?"
"Yeah he was here for like 2-3 hours."
"Ok, don't have him submit overtime, it wasn't long enough to qualify."

Or,
"What hours are Jake working?"
"He's doing 10 hour days"
"OK no overtime, that's within the expected work hours for the position."
Well my dude has anyone told you about the joy and beauty of Corp life where you get emails literally 24/7 and are expected to work weekends. Your contract doesn’t even have overtime
:dat: :disgust:

That is my life, at least I don't have a company cell phone at this place. I'm still expected to have Outlook/Skype for biz on my personal phone, but I keep notifications off and ignore on weekends mostly.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:37 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:31 pm Wow. So NOT car chat.
go back a few pages so you can tell me how :wrong: I am about exploring the option of getting rid of the minivan for a cheaper used CUV
I'm personally excited for your new Rav4.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:42 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:12 am
Well my dude has anyone told you about the joy and beauty of Corp life where you get emails literally 24/7 and are expected to work weekends. Your contract doesn’t even have overtime
:dat: :disgust:

That is my life, at least I don't have a company cell phone at this place. I'm still expected to have Outlook/Skype for biz on my personal phone, but I keep notifications off and ignore on weekends mostly.
My phone goes into "do not disturb" at 5PM, kicks off it at 6AM. Because my boss has no life, and will send out meeting notifications and follow up requests at 8PM routinely. I got sick of seeing that shit while I was at home so :aintcare: now.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:46 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:37 pm

no 3rd row, :nope:
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:00 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:46 pm

no 3rd row, :nope:
Highlander
Johnny_P

Brad be like:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:02 pm Brad be like:
:lolol:

highlander is truck chassis suv doe, so :nope:

crumple zones are the new hotness, dat 1980's technology yo.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:04 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:02 pm Brad be like:
:lolol:

highlander is truck chassis suv doe, so :nope:

crumple zones are the new hotness, dat 1980's technology yo.
Naw bruv it's a camry/avalon
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:53 pm
Davestr wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:40 pm

Warranty and service will be the end for sure.

But I'm sure there's a rich Chinese trillionaire who will swoop in and scoop up the pieces.
If Tesla is bought it’s like u state- Chinese.