Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:29 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:17 pm I'm starting to seriously rethink my big dick Cadillac idea and just buy something that's fun to jump into and zip around in.
The big dirk Caddy is just fun in a different way.

I have major concerns that I would just garage queen that thing and that's not what I need to be doing at this point in my life.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tarspin wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:08 pm
[user not found] wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:01 pm
I'd go alloys. Lighter, and since winter lasts longer up there... you'll at least get to enjoy the car looking aight compared to looking like someone stole the wheels and you couldn't afford to replace them.

I like these:
This is kind of what I'm settling on with the advice of my esteemed automotive collection,

$400/corner includes installation and balancing with Blizzak WS90s, less $600 for the old set which is a guaranteed sale.
This sounds 5/7 IMO. :doit:

Agreed, a new car deserves new stuff, and as Zil said, it needs to be something that looks decent since it'll look like this half the year.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:37 pm

I have major concerns that I would just garage queen that thing and that's not what I need to be doing at this point in my life.
Talked to my old man the other night and he's 99% set on selling the Vagon in the spring. Why? He's afraid to drive it. Not that the car is too much to handle, he's afraid of "devaluing" it with miles and wear and tear since it's so damned collectible. He said it's in the back of his mind every time he drives it, which he only put a few thousand miles on it this past summer because of it. Mostly to cars and coffee where people just go crazy for it.

I reminded him that he's rich and to just ZFG it, but he's like us in the sense that instinctually, a special/nice thing needs to stay that way. He wants something less special, and is instead thinking about a 69 Mustang convertible with Shelby front and rear on it and a modern powertrain. Apparently, that's one of his dream cars, and finding something that's otherwise unloved like a Convertible with a 6 cyl or something and building it up to something different is his idea because it would never be collectible or worth all that much really.

So I get your point, and it's certainly something to ponder. The big dirk caddy would be epic, but also rare AF and probably instantly collectible. There might be some pressure internally to keep the miles off it because of that, and that defeats the purpose of having a car.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:27 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:24 am
No, but I'm :excited: to see it. A rally inspired :manuel: 260hp AWD hatch would be an absolute riot where I live year round.

I've watched videos of the GR Yaris, that 3 banger is :neat: AF. I'd like a slightly bigger car anyway, so the GR Corolla could be my ideal 2nd vehicle.
It would be legit incredible where you live. Do they still do ice driving events on lakes over there? They quit in NY about 10 years ago, but that would be so much fun.
Ice events still exist, yep. Not to mention, once it's cold enough, the roads are just packed snow with sand on top. The sliding opportunity in an AWD thing would be insane :lolol:

I did it in the Cucktrek a bit on Sunday. :megusta:
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:43 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:37 pm

Talked to my old man the other night and he's 99% set on selling the Vagon in the spring. Why? He's afraid to drive it. Not that the car is too much to handle, he's afraid of "devaluing" it with miles and wear and tear since it's so damned collectible. He said it's in the back of his mind every time he drives it, which he only put a few thousand miles on it this past summer because of it. Mostly to cars and coffee where people just go crazy for it.

I reminded him that he's rich and to just ZFG it, but he's like us in the sense that instinctually, a special/nice thing needs to stay that way. He wants something less special, and is instead thinking about a 69 Mustang convertible with Shelby front and rear on it and a modern powertrain. Apparently, that's one of his dream cars, and finding something that's otherwise unloved like a Convertible with a 6 cyl or something and building it up to something different is his idea because it would never be collectible or worth all that much really.

So I get your point, and it's certainly something to ponder. The big dirk caddy would be epic, but also rare AF and probably instantly collectible. There might be some pressure internally to keep the miles off it because of that, and that defeats the purpose of having a car.
Correct. Vs. a GRolla that is ugly AF but has awesome seats and you just fire up that Big Turbo lawn mower engine and let it rip.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:38 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:08 pm

This is kind of what I'm settling on with the advice of my esteemed automotive collection,

$400/corner includes installation and balancing with Blizzak WS90s, less $600 for the old set which is a guaranteed sale.

Agreed, a new car deserves new stuff, and as Zil said, it needs to be something that looks decent since it'll look like this half the year.
5/7 indeed, this works!

I ordered the wheels ZFG, 17 inch Fast Tactic in Titanium finish w/ WS90s in a 215/55 17. I didn't put TPMS sensors on it because that's what the dodo bird at my Toyota dealership said they do, but I'm kind of thinking about adding them. The calibration setting is apparently a in the infotainment screen, and you just activate it and drive around for a few minutes. $60/each... Hmm
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:47 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:38 pm

5/7 indeed, this works!

I ordered the wheels ZFG, 17 inch Fast Tactic in Titanium finish w/ WS90s in a 215/55 17. I didn't put TPMS sensors on it because that's what the dodo bird at my Toyota dealership said they do, but I'm kind of thinking about adding them. The calibration setting is apparently a in the infotainment screen, and you just activate it and drive around for a few minutes. $60/each... Hmm
I would do it, there's a lot of variation in temps when the snow tires are on, you probably want to keep an eye on pressures :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:43 pm

Correct. Vs. a GRolla that is ugly AF but has awesome seats and you just fire up that Big Turbo lawn mower engine and let it rip.
Exactly.

I'm just hoping the GRolla isn't too over the top ricer/juvenile with wings and diffusers and fake vents and shit all over. I could handle the GRYaris, so as long as it's similar, :notbad:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:50 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:47 pm

5/7 indeed, this works!

I would do it, there's a lot of variation in temps when the snow tires are on, you probably want to keep an eye on pressures :iono:
I'll see how much my dudebro charges me for them. I don't want to see a dash light for six out of 12 months of my life. There goes my $300 plan to get old beater ramz and throw my existing winter tires on them... :ohwell: It won't change my life.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:54 pm
I'll see how much my dudebro charges me for them. I don't want to see a dash light for six out of 12 months of my life. There goes my $300 plan to get old beater ramz and throw my existing winter tires on them... :ohwell: It won't change my life.
I still think it's worth it overall :iono:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:59 pm

I still think it's worth it overall :iono:
He quoted me the tpms in that price :mindblown:
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:51 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:17 pm

Exactly.

I'm just hoping the GRolla isn't too over the top ricer/juvenile with wings and diffusers and fake vents and shit all over. I could handle the GRYaris, so as long as it's similar, :notbad:
Agreed. And as a real performance Toyota, the depreciation should be :notbad: either.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:55 am
fledonfoot wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:50 am

Nope. They're being built all ways and configurations, but the NY and Central Atlantic regions have chosen to bring in MT models in base trim only. :derp:
:wat: :fullretard:

There's an upper trim :manuel: BRZ coming to my local Subi :dillerman: Seems like Subaru did it differently, at least in my region.
I haven't really looked for the Subarus, but they seem to be readily available. I guess no one wants one when the 86 gets the duck bill and seemingly better suspension.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:19 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:55 am
:wat: :fullretard:

There's an upper trim :manuel: BRZ coming to my local Subi :dillerman: Seems like Subaru did it differently, at least in my region.
I haven't really looked for the Subarus, but they seem to be readily available. I guess no one wants one when the 86 gets the duck bill and seemingly better suspension.
We have 3 manual premium blue brzs within 30 miles of here. I highly doubt there is a discernible difference between the two cars other than badges and colors
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

It's worth it... as mentioned, this is like 30-50% of the year, I would not want to have :ramz: I don't like looking at or be stuck with a constant warning light on the dash.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:59 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:19 pm

We have 3 manual premium blue brzs within 30 miles of here. I highly doubt there is a discernible difference between the two cars other than badges and colors
:iono: the duck bill spoiler is dope and only on the 'yota.

The suspension is also different. How much that could be discerned in the real life is unknown :doe:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:07 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:51 pm
Exactly.

Agreed. And as a real performance Toyota, the depreciation should be :notbad: either.
Any reason the GRolla would be a consideration over the GR86? It seems like if you're in a warm climate, don't have to haul kids around, have other utility vehicles, it would be a more fun choice. Remains to be seen :doe:

I am actually hoping the GRolla DOES have ricer wings and stuff :lolol:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:17 pm I'm starting to seriously rethink my big dick Cadillac idea and just buy something that's fun to jump into and zip around in.

That's sexy
Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:09 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:07 pm

Any reason the GRolla would be a consideration over the GR86? It seems like if you're in a warm climate, don't have to haul kids around, have other utility vehicles, it would be a more fun choice. Remains to be seen :doe:

2 door sports cars that are super low are not popular with the wifepiece in terms of being able to drive the car occasionally. Corvette=boo. 4 Door big dick Cadillac= :fuckyeah: Hatchbacks also get the thumbs up. I enjoyed by GTI, particularly after I added full suspension. Super useful car as well. She pretty much lets me handle the car stuff. Getting a 2019 Tahoe instead of something ridiculous like a Range Rover or other mass depreciation eurotrash. I want a fun car she will ride in sans eyeroll.
Desertbreh

Also a 270 hp 1.6 liter three cylinder built by Toyota? Sounds fun.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

You've got to keep the wife piece happy too, otherwise your car purchase becomes a toy you'll enjoy alone.

I like hatchbacks a lot, 5/7 will own one again one day. :plac:
Desertbreh

Tarspin wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:38 pm You've got to keep the wife piece happy too, otherwise your car purchase becomes a toy you'll enjoy alone.

Right? Full approval of a CT5-V Blackwing kind of takes her out of the bitchy chick category. Need a back seat? OK.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:40 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:38 pm You've got to keep the wife piece happy too, otherwise your car purchase becomes a toy you'll enjoy alone.

Right? Full approval of a CT5-V Blackwing kind of takes her out of the bitchy chick category. Need a back seat? OK.
That's a valuable feather in your cap, it's a really nice car and eclipses most of the shit we are talking about here. I know that I'm playing a leading role in Cucktopia '22, but eventually I'll have a fun ass car and I'll be shopping for something that rides comfortably enough too take the missus out for a nice surf and turf dinner and I think the CT5-V offers that experience.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:34 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:09 pm

2 door sports cars that are super low are not popular with the wifepiece in terms of being able to drive the car occasionally. Corvette=boo. 4 Door big dick Cadillac= :fuckyeah: Hatchbacks also get the thumbs up. I enjoyed by GTI, particularly after I added full suspension. Super useful car as well. She pretty much lets me handle the car stuff. Getting a 2019 Tahoe instead of something ridiculous like a Range Rover or other mass depreciation eurotrash. I want a fun car she will ride in sans eyeroll.
Makes sense. I’m sure both will be :fuckyeah: based on what we know so far. The fun car you can get in and drive the most is the best fun car.

I’ve never owned an AWD car so I’m rather intrigued by it to try that out.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:36 pm Also a 270 hp 1.6 liter three cylinder built by Toyota? Sounds fun.
You know she won’t be caught dead in it. What are you smoking ?