Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:14 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:03 pm

What are the requirements for the vehicle again and any favorites? Are you looking to buy outright or finance. Recent rates are no longer CHEAP. So you have to factor in 4-5% in interest even with good credit. So Unless you have a super aggressive fund that earns more I'd recommend paying cash at this point.
Anything that sits higher than a sedan is on the table at this point but I'm looking at midsize trucks or 3 row SUVs.

Finance. Could potentially buy new and get a better rate via the manufacturer but then we pay the depreciation. Right now lowest rate outside of manufacturer i see is 3.99 which adds 4-5k over the course of the loan. So that seems like a wash(new comes fartless doe). Cash is technically possible but we aren't going to do that.
Considering your current Van situation this seems pointless. Why buy another vehicle ? 3 row SUV? :butwhy: :truk: can't even fit the same number of passengers or cargo.

So what is prompting the hunt? If you're looking to improve a vehicle that makes sense but it seems like you're looking to get into family transport for which you have the perfect vehicle already. A nearly fully depreciated relatively reliable van. It should run to 200k miles just fine if you service the trans/engine.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:21 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:14 pm

Anything that sits higher than a sedan is on the table at this point but I'm looking at midsize trucks or 3 row SUVs.

Finance. Could potentially buy new and get a better rate via the manufacturer but then we pay the depreciation. Right now lowest rate outside of manufacturer i see is 3.99 which adds 4-5k over the course of the loan. So that seems like a wash(new comes fartless doe). Cash is technically possible but we aren't going to do that.
Considering your current Van situation this seems pointless. Why buy another vehicle ? 3 row SUV? :butwhy: :truk: can't even fit the same number of passengers or cargo.

So what is prompting the hunt? If you're looking to improve a vehicle that makes sense but it seems like you're looking to get into family transport for which you have the perfect vehicle already. A nearly fully depreciated relatively reliable van. It should run to 200k miles just fine if you service the trans/engine.
I'd be selling my mazda6. I do all the day to day shuttling of the kids and it's a major PITA in a sedan. We've talked about me taking over the van DD. That's the smart thing to do and I could live with that. Also at the most it's 18 months before my daughter can climb into the seat herself front facing making life bearable in my current car.

I'm first to admit this isn't a decision based on just practicalities and budgets. This is a choice to make life easier/enjoyable at a cost. And it hasn't been made yet.
max225

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:31 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:21 pm

I'd be selling my mazda6. I do all the day to day shuttling of the kids and it's a major PITA in a sedan. We've talked about me taking over the van DD. That's the smart thing to do and I could live with that. Also at the most it's 18 months before my daughter can climb into the seat herself front facing making life bearable in my current car.

I'm first to admit this isn't a decision based on just practicalities and budgets. This is a choice to make life easier/enjoyable at a cost. And it hasn't been made yet.
I just don't see which vehicle you'd enjoy more than the current lineup considering the choices. I'd drive that van into the ground as it is just crotchfruit transport at this point.

So you'd want to get rid of the 6 because of the child situation? or any other reasons?
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:34 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:31 pm

I just don't see which vehicle you'd enjoy more than the current lineup considering the choices. I'd drive that van into the ground as it is just crotchfruit transport at this point.

So you'd want to get rid of the 6 because of the child situation? or any other reasons?
I don't think I'd enjoy driving anything more but life may be easier. I'm also getting back into camping which could benefit from a truck over a sedan.

If I'm being honest with myself, boredom is playing a large role too.
max225

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:40 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:34 pm

I don't think I'd enjoy driving anything more but life may be easier. I'm also getting back into camping which could benefit from a truck over a sedan.

I can see that, I'd support the choice if a clear winner would be presented but I think you're toying with setting money on fire here. I can see 10k being put to use in so many different better ways.
None of the vehicles mentioned so far are even all that interesting etc.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:43 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:40 pm

I can see that, I'd support the choice if a clear winner would be presented but I think you're toying with setting money on fire here. I can see 10k being put to use in so many different better ways.
I'm open to suggestions on cars. Anything higher than a sedan. Budget around 35k
max225

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:45 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:43 pm
I'm open to suggestions on cars. Anything higher than a sedan. Budget around 35k
JL wrangler.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:48 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:45 pm

JL wrangler.
Can't abide by that interior for that price.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Same with 4runner
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

JL Interior is really nice these days. :iono:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:56 pm JL Interior is really nice these days. :iono:
Lemme Google it agsin
max225

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:54 pm

JL wrangler.
By this time next year prices should be much better.
max225

JL wrangler.
What’s wrong with the interior? Also considering the volume of JLs flooding the market is expect them to be a bit cheaper this time next year. They have 6k sitting on the hood also
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:02 pm

What’s wrong with the interior? Also considering the volume of JLs flooding the market is expect them to be a bit cheaper this time next year. They have 6k sitting on the hood also
Fair enough.

I did sit in one at CarMax Saturday and the hard top just made me cringe thinking about road noise. There's one reason to put up with all the negatives of that car. Pussy. And I'm out of the market.
max225

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:08 pm

Fair enough.

I did sit in one at CarMax Saturday and the hard top just made me cringe thinking about road noise. There's one reason to put up with all the negatives of that car. Pussy. And I'm out of the market.
Road noise is fine. Mpg yep... shitty steering feel yep... but it’s literally the only “interesting” vehicle at around 35k that sits up high
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I had a wrangler in college. 5 Baja lights on the bar, 2 up front on the grill. Custom built speaker boxes around the wheel wells on back. 33 inch tires with lift kit.

Oats were sowed
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:20 pm I had a wrangler in college. 5 Baja lights on the bar, 2 up front on the grill. Custom built speaker boxes around the wheel wells on back. 33 inch tires with lift kit.

Oats were sowed
pics
Johnny_P

Fair enough.

Yeah the igloo cooler is a little :disgust: inside, considering the price point, but the top comes off so :iono:

Interior is pretty good on the new ones. They look killer now on the outside. GF liked it quite a bit when I pointed it out.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

:wub: JL fa sho.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:28 pm

Fair enough.

Yeah the igloo cooler is a little :disgust: inside, considering the price point, but the top comes off so :iono:

Interior is pretty good on the new ones. They look killer now on the outside. GF liked it quite a bit when I pointed it out.
Most can’t tell the exterior apart. But the interior is quite a bit better
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Brought my :turboyaris: in this morning for its 60k mile service plus a couple things to look at, including a sunroof issue. Supposedly includes some sort of carbon cleaning service, chemical, not mechanical. :yeahok:

I'm aware of my :derp: wallet status and I'm totally prepared for a :knot: violation. :aintcare: :doe: This :dillerman: has taken pretty good care of me for almost 20 years without me having to bring them donuts or giving OTPHJs. My 40k service including the DSG flush only cost me $450. They replaced my AC compressor out of warranty for ~$120 after having convinced VW to cover 75% of the cost and the :dillerman: picking up half the balance. And I always get a loaner - got a Passat today *yawn* - makes them ok by me. I've had a GLI and an Alltrack before, too.

:popcorn:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:27 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:20 pm I had a wrangler in college. 5 Baja lights on the bar, 2 up front on the grill. Custom built speaker boxes around the wheel wells on back. 33 inch tires with lift kit.

Oats were sowed
pics
That was before cell phone cameras bro. I'd have to go dig through a shoe box somewhere
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:19 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:49 pm My GTI is in limbo. I dropped it off almost two weeks ago, after having my techs at work diagnose it as a steering rack.

VW wouldn't let them replace the rack right away. Several sets of bushings were replaced or addressed according to my service advisor, as they had to try a few things first. I told my SA to do whatever... it's covered under warranty and just let me know when the rack will be here.

Today I get an email from my SA, telling me they ordered a rack for it this morning, per VW's tech assistance line. There are 0 racks in the country and are on indefinite backorder.

Looks like I'm driving a GLI for a little while longer.
This stem from a pothole hit or something? Damn dude. At least you have that loaner coverage though. I remember a lot of this type thing with my VW, having to order some unicorn part from Germany and it would take 3 days to get in.
Nope, just started ticking and making noise and got worse, and worse, and worse. Now I get intermittent dead feeling steering at TDC.
Johnny_P

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:55 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:27 pm

pics
That was before cell phone cameras bro. I'd have to go dig through a shoe box somewhere
printed photo + itrude photo of that photo and tapatalk host it, bro :disappoint:
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:53 pm Brought my :turboyaris: in this morning for its 60k mile service plus a couple things to look at, including a sunroof issue. Supposedly includes some sort of carbon cleaning service, chemical, not mechanical. :yeahok:

I'm aware of my :derp: wallet status and I'm totally prepared for a :knot: violation. :aintcare: :doe: This :dillerman: has taken pretty good care of me for almost 20 years without me having to bring them donuts or giving OTPHJs. My 40k service including the DSG flush only cost me $450. They replaced my AC compressor out of warranty for ~$120 after having convinced VW to cover 75% of the cost and the :dillerman: picking up half the balance. And I always get a loaner - got a Passat today *yawn* - makes them ok by me. I've had a GLI and an Alltrack before, too.

:popcorn:
Condolences.

re: carbon cleaning, the chemical one isn't worth a damn especially if it's the first time you're doing it at 60k miles, just flushing money away IMO