Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:19 pm Anyone ever used a broker to find you a car at auction?
What kind of car do you want to buy broham?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:31 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:26 am

your time is not free with dis. also seat airbags like :mahtroy: said.
In all reality I wouldn't do any of this at all. I'd be perfectly happy with the stock Club, and if I wanted more performance I'd go for a tire upgrade.

I drive around for half a year with a TPMS light glowing at me. It's not a big deal.
:dat:

Mostly.

I’d do aftermart ramz/tars and sway bars and be 95% happy
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:22 pm https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=584296

Same discussion on Miata forum. I dunno guys, when you add really nice shit like Recarbros, Brembros and forged sweet ramz bro, that kind of moves the Miata into a higher price bracket for a reason? Sounds like a pretty nice place to spend time. Obvi the best solution is to buy used from some old man with bad knees Corvette style if you could.
Also :dat: 35k puts you into a whole lot of interesting rides.... Like a c6 Z06.

But let's face it, this car will depreciate 10k+ from new in very short order, and that's when any of us here, that would actually consider a Miata, would by one.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:22 pm https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=584296

Same discussion on Miata forum. I dunno guys, when you add really nice shit like Recarbros, Brembros and forged sweet ramz bro, that kind of moves the Miata into a higher price bracket for a reason? Sounds like a pretty nice place to spend time. Obvi the best solution is to buy used from some old man with bad knees Corvette style if you could.
Especially now that they finally gave it more revs and power stock, there's almost no need for MODZZZ - it still needs sway bars but that's it now which is :notbad:

Gone are the days of the Miata taking 8 seconds to hit 60 and having no ABS, AC, etc.
Desertbreh

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:29 pm

Especially now that they finally gave it more revs and power stock, there's almost no need for MODZZZ - it still needs sway bars but that's it now which is :notbad:

Gone are the days of the Miata taking 8 seconds to hit 60 and having no ABS, AC, etc.
Right, its a lot less of a toy car.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

My GTI is in limbo. I dropped it off almost two weeks ago, after having my techs at work diagnose it as a steering rack.

VW wouldn't let them replace the rack right away. Several sets of bushings were replaced or addressed according to my service advisor, as they had to try a few things first. I told my SA to do whatever... it's covered under warranty and just let me know when the rack will be here.

Today I get an email from my SA, telling me they ordered a rack for it this morning, per VW's tech assistance line. There are 0 racks in the country and are on indefinite backorder.

Looks like I'm driving a GLI for a little while longer.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:36 am Fun fact: The Recarbros on the miata are heated.

Now Mazda just needs to put a solid roof on it, or sell the hardtop that already exists for the 124 GT... How hard can it be?
last I checked the mustang doesn't get ventilized and heated seats in their recaros.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

wap wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:29 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:21 pm How many different "Top Gears" do you guys need?
Just BBC TG and Grand Tour is plenty for me. :iono:

How many do you need?
The ones with the new guys including Chris Harris? I only watched couple of the episodes, including driving in Kazakhstan with an old Berlin taxi Mercedes. It was :notbad:

The austrian episode doe :lolol:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:49 pm My GTI is in limbo. I dropped it off almost two weeks ago, after having my techs at work diagnose it as a steering rack.

VW wouldn't let them replace the rack right away. Several sets of bushings were replaced or addressed according to my service advisor, as they had to try a few things first. I told my SA to do whatever... it's covered under warranty and just let me know when the rack will be here.

Today I get an email from my SA, telling me they ordered a rack for it this morning, per VW's tech assistance line. There are 0 racks in the country and are on indefinite backorder.

Looks like I'm driving a GLI for a little while longer.
This stem from a pothole hit or something? Damn dude. At least you have that loaner coverage though. I remember a lot of this type thing with my VW, having to order some unicorn part from Germany and it would take 3 days to get in.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

3 days from germany sounds very fast.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:37 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:29 pm

Right, its a lot less of a toy car.
It has been a toy car by design, it is no less of a toy car, just a quicker toy car.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

KYGTIGuy wrote:Anyone ever used a broker to find you a car at auction?
That’s how I got my Acura back in the day.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
Desertbreh

Calvinball wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:31 pm

I don't know why anyone would need hire a broker to get an auction car when Maximillian Zhukov can find the lowest possible price on well optioned new cars/CPO cars/used cars/cars on Craiglist, all of them California rust free cars, and all while he is simulateously either working his Pay Area job or getting head from Mk.2.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:23 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:19 pm Anyone ever used a broker to find you a car at auction?
TBD. Will be a daily driver doe. Nothing exciting. At this point its between a long term purchase for me(no plac for 10 years) or something I can pass off to the wife in 4-5 and get something more fitting for me when the kids are out if the car seats. A sedan is what I prefer but right now that's just working for me with the kids.

So I get a truck now and live with it for 8 years. Not a bad option. I can definitely use a truck and I like them.

Or I get a Grand Cherokee type vehicle and pass that off and get a 440i(M340) in doodoo estoril brown which is what I really want when the minivan dies.

Just haven't decided which I'm doing yet.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:36 pm

I don't know why anyone would need hire a broker to get an auction car when Maximillian Zhukov can find the lowest possible price on well optioned new cars/CPO cars/used cars/cars on Craiglist, all of them California rust free cars, and all while he is simulateously either working his Pay Area job or getting head from Mk.2.
Yea I don't understand it either, but people buy $5000 extended warranties on cars with a warranty.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

What were the circumstances? Why did you use a broker?
Desertbreh

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:37 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:23 pm

TBD. Will be a daily driver doe. Nothing exciting. At this point its between a long term purchase for me(no plac for 10 years) or something I can pass off to the wife in 4-5 and get something more fitting for me when the kids are out if the car seats. A sedan is what I prefer but right now that's just working for me with the kids.

So I get a truck now and live with it for 8 years. Not a bad option. I can definitely use a truck and I like them.

Or I get a Grand Cherokee type vehicle and pass that off and get a 440i(M340) in doodoo estoril brown which is what I really want when the minivan dies.

Auction cars can be good if you're lucky or very, very bad. A lot of problem trade ins get recycled to other people at car auctions. You need to fly out here to Cali and get yourself a nice one owner or CPO 340i and some fool like me bought new and lost $20K off the top on. The Ultimate Depreciation Machine can be bought right but it should be bought carefully. Trucks I'd just buy new. People treat them like shit! And they are heavily dscounted to start out with, see Zilbro story. Grand Cherokee sounds good to me but I'd buy one private party with a story long before auction. Figure out exactly what you want and there are 5 keyboard warriors on this site who can get you dialed in.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:49 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:37 pm

Auction cars can be good if you're lucky or very, very bad. A lot of problem trade ins get recycled to other people at car auctions. You need to fly out here to Cali and get yourself a nice one owner or CPO 340i and some fool like me bought new and lost $20K off the top on. The Ultimate Depreciation Machine can be bought right but it should be bought carefully. Trucks I'd just buy new. People treat them like shit! And they are heavily dscounted to start out with, see Zilbro story. Grand Cherokee sounds good to me but I'd buy one private party with a story long before auction. Figure out exactly what you want and there are 5 keyboard warriors on this site who can get you dialed in.
Good advice. Thank you. I don't mind traveling to buy the right car at all so when the time comes Cali will be on the radar

I'm currently in the test drive phase. I'm looking to buy in 2-3 months
max225

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:02 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:49 pm

Good advice. Thank you. I don't mind traveling to buy the right car at all so when the time comes Cali will be on the radar

What are the requirements for the vehicle again and any favorites? Are you looking to buy outright or finance. Recent rates are no longer CHEAP. So you have to factor in 4-5% in interest even with good credit. So Unless you have a super aggressive fund that earns more I'd recommend paying cash at this point.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Other thing is that we have a minivan so buying a SUV seems redundant now. Even if eventually it is meant to replace the van down the road. Not sure we will need all that space in 5 years. So I was also considering buying one of the new Rav4s when they come out in December. They look a lot better than the current version.
max225

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:06 pm Other thing is that we have a minivan so buying a SUV seems redundant now. Even if eventually it is meant to replace the van down the road. Not sure we will need all that space in 5 years. So I was also considering buying one of the new Rav4s when they come out in December. They look a lot better than the current version.
What van do you have now? Age/miles?
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:06 pm Other thing is that we have a minivan so buying a SUV seems redundant now. Even if eventually it is meant to replace the van down the road. Not sure we will need all that space in 5 years. So I was also considering buying one of the new Rav4s when they come out in December. They look a lot better than the current version.
You'll need more space in 5 years, obviously. Better get a Suburban.

You might need to tow a boat too, so go 2500.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:03 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:02 pm

What are the requirements for the vehicle again and any favorites? Are you looking to buy outright or finance. Recent rates are no longer CHEAP. So you have to factor in 4-5% in interest even with good credit. So Unless you have a super aggressive fund that earns more I'd recommend paying cash at this point.
Anything that sits higher than a sedan is on the table at this point but I'm looking at midsize trucks or 3 row SUVs.

Finance. Could potentially buy new and get a better rate via the manufacturer but then we pay the depreciation. Right now lowest rate outside of manufacturer i see is 3.99 which adds 4-5k over the course of the loan. So that seems like a wash(new comes fartless doe). Cash is technically possible but we aren't going to do that.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:07 pm
What van do you have now? Age/miles?
2013 T&C with 93k. We've been driving a lot less since moving to Michigan. Its well maintained so expect at least another 60k/5 years before thats plac'd
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:11 pm
You'll need more space in 5 years, obviously. Better get a Suburban.

You might need to tow a boat too, so go 2500.
We are looking to buy a cottage up north at some point.....who has a cottage without a boat??

But seriously. No boat for me.