Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:21 pm
wap wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:52 pm

My brother has a JSW TDI that got the fix. He said it's slower but still gets low 40's mpg on the highway. But he didn't buy it for speed in the first place so he :aintcare: .
He does have a Johnny_P spec leaky sunroof, :doe: :lolol:
My friends Tiguan, MK6 golf age, has leaked its sunroof drains twice and fully flooded the car floor. The drain tubes apparently shrink over time.

TDIs were good for their time but the industry has moved on and diesel, where I live, is over $1/gal more expensive than 87. So you save nothing.
:dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

There's an Audi Q5 I've seen on the highway twice now. It's rolling coal. It's white, but the entire back of the car is completely black with soot. You can't read the license plate or even see the taillights really. And then someone can drawn squiggles in the soot as a design.

What VW did on diesel gate was nothing compared to these morons who run straight pipes and tunes intentionally to coat everything in soot. I honestly couldn't drive the S2000 with the top down on the highway. Too many diesels just dumping particulate everywhere.

I feel like a grumpy old man, but I can't stand aftermarket exhausts, big subwoofers, and most motorcycles. They can all burn in hell. Nobody wants to hear your shit. Even you don't want to hear your shit most of the time.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

My brother has a JSW TDI that got the fix. He said it's slower but still gets low 40's mpg on the highway. But he didn't buy it for speed in the first place so he :aintcare: .
My friends Tiguan, MK6 golf age, has leaked its sunroof drains twice and fully flooded the car floor. The drain tubes apparently shrink over time.

TDIs were good for their time but the industry has moved on and diesel, where I live, is over $1/gal more expensive than 87. So you save nothing.
Yep. My Mk7 calculated out to an average of 36 MPG on a trip to Virginia the other week, and that was with 87. I'm perfectly fine with that.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

MrH42 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:33 am There's an Audi Q5 I've seen on the highway twice now. It's rolling coal. It's white, but the entire back of the car is completely black with soot. You can't read the license plate or even see the taillights really. And then someone can drawn squiggles in the soot as a design.

What VW did on diesel gate was nothing compared to these morons who run straight pipes and tunes intentionally to coat everything in soot. I honestly couldn't drive the S2000 with the top down on the highway. Too many diesels just dumping particulate everywhere.

I feel like a grumpy old man, but I can't stand aftermarket exhausts, big subwoofers, and most motorcycles. They can all burn in hell. Nobody wants to hear your shit. Even you don't want to hear your shit most of the time.
:dat:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

MrH42 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:33 am There's an Audi Q5 I've seen on the highway twice now. It's rolling coal. It's white, but the entire back of the car is completely black with soot. You can't read the license plate or even see the taillights really. And then someone can drawn squiggles in the soot as a design.

:mahman:
wap

+1. I'd add pOpS aNd BaNgZ toonz to that list. :disgust: There's BMW X6 in my hood that machine guns down the side streets at 25 mph popping and banging at what must be over 100 dB. :nope:
max225

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/cargo-ship- ... 00948.html

Yet another car carrier on fire... this must be the 3rd one now!? :wtf:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:00 am

Yep. My Mk7 calculated out to an average of 36 MPG on a trip to Virginia the other week, and that was with 87. I'm perfectly fine with that.
My accord 2.0t ive been running 87 since day one, did try 93 one time and it felt slightly sooped up. Not really a major difference but noticeable.

On longer trips, I pulled 370 miles till light hits, and its 13 gallon tank
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:56 am https://www.yahoo.com/autos/cargo-ship- ... 00948.html

Yet another car carrier on fire... this must be the 3rd one now!? :wtf:
Controlling the supply to prop up them prices
wap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:08 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:00 am

My accord 2.0t ive been running 87 since day one, did try 93 one time and it felt slightly sooped up. Not really a major difference but noticeable.

:disgust: That's even more :jalepenis: than the 13.6 gal tank in the Mk7. And for a large-ish midsize sedan, it's :|
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:dat: a Prius makes more sense.
max225

wap wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:53 pm

:disgust: That's even more :jalepenis: than the 13.6 gal tank in the Mk7. And for a large-ish midsize sedan, it's :|
Tsx is at nearly 18.5 gallons... Benzo was 20.5 i think... sub 15 gallon tanks should be illegal because it forces trips to hell holes... I.E gas stations.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:lolol: I actually went to Costco to gas up the Jeep last weekend and it was by far the most hellish gas station experience in a while with a line you’re trapped in. Don’t think I’ll bother with saving 0.25$/gallon again when it adds an extra 15 minutes of :bs:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

My new Prius rental netted 45-50 MPG (not sure when it was filled before I picked up so couldn’t calculate exactly).

I’ll write a review when I’m on my laptop tomorrow but all in all a GTI for the same price that gets 36 is worth the MPG penalty versus the Prius which is still a Prius new new or not.

max225

NO shit how did you rent a Prius.. you can't get one at retail at all... so fucking Toyota SELLS them to FLEET?! :wtf:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:04 pm NO shit how did you rent a Prius.. you can't get one at retail at all... so fucking Toyota SELLS them to FLEET?! :wtf:
It was there, I took it. I was surprised was well. It’s pretty over hyped IMO. It’s better than last gen Prius but still a bit :disgust: if you’re an enthusiast. It does look cool and a few passerby freaked when they saw it.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:06 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:04 pm NO shit how did you rent a Prius.. you can't get one at retail at all... so fucking Toyota SELLS them to FLEET?! :wtf:
It was there, I took it. I was surprised was well. It’s pretty over hyped IMO. It’s better than last gen Prius but still a bit :disgust: if you’re an enthusiast. It does look cool and a few passerby freaked when they saw it.
That's why I got the i4 at the end of the day it is a BMW at prius pricing... Toyota is TOYOTA they make bargain basement shitboxes (come fight me if you want on that statement) I think they completely over played their price premium card as of late.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:07 pm

That's why I got the i4 at the end of the day it is a BMW at prius pricing... Toyota is TOYOTA they make bargain basement shitboxes (come fight me if you want on that statement) I think they completely over played their price premium card as of late.
I think at MSRP a lower spec sub $30k Prius is a good car but dollar for dollar the i4 is so much better. I look forward to the roast review while at work tomorrow. About to take off towards home now.
wap

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:40 pm
Tsx is at nearly 18.5 gallons... Benzo was 20.5 i think... sub 15 gallon tanks should be illegal because it forces trips to hell holes... I.E gas stations.
:word:
The wife's H is 18 gallons and getting almost 600 miles of range on road trips is fantastic.
wap

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:07 pm

Couldn't agree more.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

It was :disappoint: knowing that the camry has a larger tank, 16-18?
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:50 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:40 pm

The wife's H is 18 gallons and getting almost 600 miles of range on road trips is fantastic.
I would love that. That is a 5/7 range
wap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:50 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:50 pm

I would love that. That is a 5/7 range
Last month we drove from Chicago to Pittsburgh, then drove a full day IN Pittsburgh, all on the same tank of 87. It was 5/7 indeed.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Around me the only new Priuses I’ve seen are car shares.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:22 pm
Around me the only new Priuses I’ve seen are car shares.
Maybe it’s a long game strategy to make people want them? The one I rented was total base which made it slightly meh, very Corolla like interior. Super functional and well built but definitely not nice.