Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

coogles wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:51 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:37 pm I still don't think a mk7 is vastly superior to a Mk6 or 5... from an engine perspective sure. But chassis wise the whole MQB is straight down from the gods is vastly blown out of proportion IMO. But yea.. .clearly :wrong: :lol:
:triggered:

Having owned both I couldn't disagree more. I wouldn't say the MQB is a chassis from the gods or anything, but the MK5 and 6 were such wet noodles that they make the MQB a :mindblown: experience by comparison, especially once each has some miles on it.

Driving the '09 STi yesterday gave me a moment of realizing how much of a pile my MK6 really was. The dealership has a pretty big curb at its entrance and despite being the hatch there was no sensation of flex, no creaking, no nothing, it felt totally solid just like a MQB. I could feel and hear my MK6 twist every time I took a curb in it like that.
I remember my mk6 was doing that, I was :notsure: mk7 on the other hand, depending on the incline i enter into a gas station that I regularly go to, I can feel one wheel being up in the air with the 7, 6 not so much. One time, I saw a mk7 r doing that too.

Mqb is indeed night and day, not as much of a bad ride quality, no body roll, lesser wheel hop. They're both somehow different animals.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
golftdibrad1
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

You guys need to drive a mk1 or mk2 and get back to me about chassis flex.

the doors on my mk1 vert wouldn't open/shut if jacked up from a single point.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:37 pm You guys need to drive a mk1 or mk2 and get back to me about chassis flex.

Well, I thought the discussion was on the looks, not chassis rigidity. The groaning/clunking is also no more acceptable because flex was terrible in 30 years older models.
golftdibrad1

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:46 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:37 pm You guys need to drive a mk1 or mk2 and get back to me about chassis flex.

Well, I thought the discussion was on the looks, not chassis rigidity. The groaning/clunking is also no more acceptable because flex was terrible in 30 years older models.
them doods above were talking about how flexible the mk6 was. that thing was a rail
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:33 pm

them doods above were talking about how flexible the mk6 was. that thing was a rail
While it wasn’t as stiff as some high end performance cars … my C5 doors had issues opening if it was on a speed bump or whatever. I don’t get any of the mk6 chassis hate. I think a lot of dudes went into those cars thinking they are racekars forgetting they are shitboxes with some zooms… and they were set up to fail from the start
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

My MK6 felt more noodley than the by then 12 year old 1998 Grand Prix I sold to buy said GTI. I'm sure by any measure of structural rigidity the GTI would have shown to be less flexible, but it sure didn't feel like it.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

It is sad that so many seemed to have gotten lemon Mk6's..... mine may have crossed over into hooptie status, but it has been solid since day One.

Saw these this week while I was hauling my sweet geezers and invalids...

"Those goofy bastards are about the best thing I've got going." Pat Healy
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

True. I think the chassis handling was fine for what it was but I’ve never had any other car that had the crazy temperature dependent creaks and groans.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:29 pm

True. I think the chassis handling was fine for what it was but I’ve never had any other car that had the crazy temperature dependent creaks and groans.
To be fair, I believe the level of temp fluctuation to create the creaks is pretty extreme, at least for mine. For me, it was literally below freezing, like maybe down into the 20's when it started, and then it was mostly going over nasty RR tracks, potholes, etc.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

I threw the unibrace on mine and that helped a surprising amount. Already thought the car was a blast to drive, but that plus some beefed up sway bars and I had zero complaints at all.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:53 am I threw the unibrace on mine and that helped a surprising amount. Already thought the car was a blast to drive, but that plus some beefed up sway bars and I had zero complaints at all.
:dat:

Unibrace UB and spending $3 for some of that tubing to line the doors and my Mk6 was creak free. I put the tubing in both my Mk7's as well.

Mechanically the Mk6 was a different story.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:53 am I threw the unibrace on mine and that helped a surprising amount. Already thought the car was a blast to drive, but that plus some beefed up sway bars and I had zero complaints at all.
I very much regret not doing the unibraces and putting some quality dampers (Koni yellows or Bilsteins) in mine. Had I done those things, I probably wouldn't have sold it and saved a WHOLE lot of money.
golftdibrad1

coogles wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:32 am
I very much regret not doing the unibraces and putting some quality dampers (Koni yellows or Bilsteins) in mine. Had I done those things, I probably wouldn't have sold it and saved a WHOLE lot of money.
I still contend that id prob still have my mk6 if the trans seals didnt shit 6 months after the rear main, and/or i had a place to work on it at that time. I really did love that car.

And again, other than the intake, tune, & exhaust performance wise it was STOCK. stock dampers, sways, even pirelli no-seasons. At 140k the dampers were getting a bit tired so I would have prob put on bilsteins or kw's eventually.
SAWCE

If mine hadn’t had the ecu issue causing the CEL I would have kept mine.
max225

I used to not think about it like this as I ran certain cars over 400k miles... BUUUT I noticed that 100k miles really is a gatekeeper for issues. 100k + really starts to be kind of ugly for most cars. A lot of N/A Japanese cars excluded those tend to be okish until 175/200k then again it is a crap shoot.

I am really disappointed where Toyota is headed with their new generations of vehicles. They seem to be far more complicated finnicky and prone to mid $$$$ repairs.

HonDERPs seem to be mostly ok still.
SAWCE

I ran my MK6 up to 170k.. the ecu issue was more user error than anything. I was driving out to the Hoover dam one night to canoe down the Colorado river.. but accident on the freeway had traffic completely stopped and I got impatient. Saw some people going off road to bypass the traffic and decided to follow suit.. not thinking about the fact that I was lowered an inch or two. One of my 02 sensors got ripped out snagging on something and cause a short. Car still drove fine, but I had come up on the end of my seven years of no smog checks for new vehicles in Cali, and it wouldn’t pass smog with the CEL. In hindsite I should have just paid for a new ECU, but I’d been having the :jeep: itch for a while and decided to use that as an excuse to sell the GTI and scratch that itch.
wap

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:33 am
:dat:

Unibrace UB and spending $3 for some of that tubing to line the doors and my Mk6 was creak free. I put the tubing in both my Mk7's as well.

Mechanically the Mk6 was a different story.
Forgot about :dat: . I did it, too, and it certainly helped. Also periodically lubed the door strikers with lithium grease, which seemed to help as well. Probably why I only had creaking in the dead of winter. :iono:
wap

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:12 am If mine hadn’t had the ecu issue causing the CEL I would have kept mine.
I certainly would have kept mine if it hadn't been rear ended and totaled.
max225

Is it time for me to say... If VW wasn't a cheating prick of a company I would have kept mine?
wap

max225 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:29 pm Is it time for me to say... If VW wasn't a cheating prick of a company I would have kept mine?
Is it? :iono:

:notwrong: , but they're just the one that got caught. Hasn't it since been demonstrated that others have also cheated on their diesel emissions?
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

wap wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:42 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:29 pm Is it time for me to say... If VW wasn't a cheating prick of a company I would have kept mine?

:notwrong: , but they're just the one that got caught. Hasn't it since been demonstrated that others have also cheated on their diesel emissions?
The emissions fixes castrated the TDI motors.
golftdibrad1

Yes, they were just the first to be caught, prob because they sold so many in the US compared to other makes. But every automaker without exception was cheating.
SAWCE

Buddy’s mom had a Passat TDI that we drove up to San Fran one weekend. Perfect road trip car, was a bit big I suppose, but awesome mpg and we had plenty of room for three adults and all our bags, plus hauling five adults around the city during our stay.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:45 pm

My brother has a JSW TDI that got the fix. He said it's slower but still gets low 40's mpg on the highway. But he didn't buy it for speed in the first place so he :aintcare: .
He does have a Johnny_P spec leaky sunroof, :doe: :lolol:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

wap wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:52 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:45 pm

My brother has a JSW TDI that got the fix. He said it's slower but still gets low 40's mpg on the highway. But he didn't buy it for speed in the first place so he :aintcare: .
He does have a Johnny_P spec leaky sunroof, :doe: :lolol:
My friends Tiguan, MK6 golf age, has leaked its sunroof drains twice and fully flooded the car floor. The drain tubes apparently shrink over time.

TDIs were good for their time but the industry has moved on and diesel, where I live, is over $1/gal more expensive than 87. So you save nothing.