Soviet EV and taco chronicles + future ponderings about Fendie

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Wow. I was :| to pay $4.09 this morning at a station that's usually within $.10 of Costco (the cheapest here).
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Tar wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:30 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:19 am

Politics have nothing to do with the outage schedule of a refinery. That’s set based on equipment needs, catalyst performance, and the exact timing is driven by market conditions.

Fuel usage drops once kids go back to school, making it more favorable to conduct an outage and major maintenance in the fall / winter than the summer. It’s likely that they were deferring maintenance until favorable market conditions. That they all took an outage at the same time is actually extremely disadvantageous to them because prices are higher, they would make more money by running the refinery.
So you're saying that it's a well timed fuck up? :idbu:

Look, there are times to do what's right for the environment first, and I value that as much as you do, but there are other times like this 50% reduction fiasco that should allow fuel imports from plants that don't follow the strict protocols of Commiefornia to ensure that the economy doesn't come to a screeching halt. That part is political, and is designed to give Max and his neighbors a hard time and push them into "green" cars.
Yeah I agree.

I also don’t know what types of crude those refineries can process. I’m inclined to think they typically run on light sweet crude instead of heavy sour ones. I believe the light sweet market is being more stressed by the ban on Russian oil, where the heavy crude market isn’t as impacted. Refineries can’t just run any type of crude oil, they’re set up for specific types and compositions. So they might be forced to buy more expensive crude to refine which is even more expensive because of global issues like Putin invading another country.

Light sweet crude can be refined easier and with fewer emissions. So that’s why I’m inclined to think they typically run that makeup.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:02 pm
Tar wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:30 am

So you're saying that it's a well timed fuck up? :idbu:

Look, there are times to do what's right for the environment first, and I value that as much as you do, but there are other times like this 50% reduction fiasco that should allow fuel imports from plants that don't follow the strict protocols of Commiefornia to ensure that the economy doesn't come to a screeching halt. That part is political, and is designed to give Max and his neighbors a hard time and push them into "green" cars.
Yeah I agree.

I also don’t know what types of crude those refineries can process. I’m inclined to think they typically run on light sweet crude instead of heavy sour ones. I believe the light sweet market is being more stressed by the ban on Russian oil, where the heavy crude market isn’t as impacted. Refineries can’t just run any type of crude oil, they’re set up for specific types and compositions. So they might be forced to buy more expensive crude to refine which is even more expensive because of global issues like Putin invading another country.

Light sweet crude can be refined easier and with fewer emissions. So that’s why I’m inclined to think they typically run that makeup.
Great point, thanks for the insight!
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Apparently the refineries are coming back online next week.... so I can't wait for the $1-2 drop reflected immediately in the pricing.

:lolgasm:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

We're up about 15% this week for reference.
max225

Tar wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:18 pm We're up about 15% this week for reference.
Yea but your prices are tied to crude oil price rises due to Opec output cut... ours are tied to mystery explanations that while on the surface make sense overall really don't. Imagine one province in canada paying double of all others...
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:19 pm
Yea but your prices are tied to crude oil price rises due to Opec output cut... ours are tied to mystery explanations that while on the surface make sense overall really don't. Imagine one province in canada paying double of all others...
I don't envy your situation, it's the worst in North America. Europe and UK being the biggest loser globally in guessing.

We do have price variance regionally though, higher income/ economic prosperity increases energy costs. They are programed to keep everyone paycheck to paycheck regardless of productivity.
max225

Tar wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:36 pm

I don't envy your situation, it's the worst in North America. Europe and UK being the biggest loser globally in guessing.

We do have price variance regionally though, higher income/ economic prosperity increases energy costs. They are programed to keep everyone paycheck to paycheck regardless of productivity.
I am running some :math: at the moment in replacing the E350 with an I3. I3 is the cheapest EV (30k plus tax) that will fit my "lifestyle" of being capable of a 120 mile round trip or so in a given day. But given the E350 super low cost of entry... it makes nearly 0 financial sense. Even when I have $100 in maintenance + repair per month on the E350 (est)... the I3 is still MORE expensive over the course of 3 years... :wtf:
Last edited by max225 on Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:45 pm
Tar wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:36 pm

I am running some :math: at the moment in replacing the E350 with an I3. I3 is the cheapest EV (30k plus tax) that will fit my "lifestyle" of being capable of a 120 mile round trip or so in a given day. But given the E350 super low cost of entry... it makes nearly 0 financial sense. Even when I have $100 in maintenance + repair... the I3 is still MORE expensive over the course of 3 years... :wtf:
I'm guessing that if the economy kerplunks so will the cost of gas. Based on that rational I'd just sit tight for now.
max225

Tar wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:01 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:45 pm

I am running some :math: at the moment in replacing the E350 with an I3. I3 is the cheapest EV (30k plus tax) that will fit my "lifestyle" of being capable of a 120 mile round trip or so in a given day. But given the E350 super low cost of entry... it makes nearly 0 financial sense. Even when I have $100 in maintenance + repair... the I3 is still MORE expensive over the course of 3 years... :wtf:
I'm guessing that if the economy kerplunks so will the cost of gas. Based on that rational I'd just sit tight for now.
It will happen... current prices are mostly unsustainable, especially with the global rush to convert to EVs.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:16 pm Apparently the refineries are coming back online next week.... so I can't wait for the $1-2 drop reflected immediately in the pricing.

There’s a lag to prices dropping. It won’t be immediate.
Johnny_P

Cali restrictions have effectively separated them from the rest of the country. They’re operating almost like their own country in this regard.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Interesting feedback on all of this stuff guys, I learned a few things. Hopefully it drops soon, Max. I imagine they’ll at least stay high through the holiday travel season and dip in January, but we’ll see.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:38 pm Interesting feedback on all of this stuff guys, I learned a few things. Hopefully it drops soon, Max. I imagine they’ll at least stay high through the holiday travel season and dip in January, but we’ll see.
Yea I’m not holding my breath on this one. I’d almost be curious to have us hit $10 a gallon. Just to see what people will do…
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:01 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:16 pm Apparently the refineries are coming back online next week.... so I can't wait for the $1-2 drop reflected immediately in the pricing.

I suppose my sarcasm didn’t fully go through. Funny though… prices shoot up immediately but take weeks/months to drop.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:58 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:01 pm

I suppose my sarcasm didn’t fully go through. Funny though… prices shoot up immediately but take weeks/months to drop.
Yeah. When crude climbs up there’s usually a small lag. When it goes down there’s a much longer lag time.
max225

https://www.yahoo.com/news/newsom-call- ... 20998.html

Governor Newscum is saying this is “rampant price gouging” so I don’t think I’m too far off base here.

However I don’t see how taxing the shit out of the oil companies will LOWER prices. :wtf:
golftdibrad1
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:07 pm https://www.yahoo.com/news/newsom-call- ... 20998.html

Governor Newscum is saying this is “rampant price gouging” so I don’t think I’m too far off base here.

However I don’t see how taxing the shit out of the oil companies will LOWER prices. :wtf:
Whats the definition of insanity again?
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:07 pm https://www.yahoo.com/news/newsom-call- ... 20998.html

:lolgasm: Increasing their costs will make them want to drop prices, duh!

:wtf: people? It's like they want gas prices north of $10.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:15 am

We’re close to $10. Drove by $7.95 premium in sf yesterday. Nuts
golftdibrad1
Drives: on used bald tires

you are saying the quiet part out loud: THEY DO
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
ChrisoftheNorth

golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:14 am

you are saying the quiet part out loud: THEY DO
I know...but the .gov pretending to be "upset" and "sticking it to the oil companies" by increasing taxes is just :wtf: :lolgasm: :fullretard:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:01 am

Wow. :impressive:
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:41 am
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:01 am

You want the ds18s? I’m going post office later today…
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:50 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:41 am
You want the ds18s? I’m going post office later today…
I thought you said they were JBL only? I was going to buy these since people report using them in non-JBL trucks without issue.

https://www.amazon.com/DS18-Replacement ... B09HVCQZXF

If these are the ones you have, I'll buy them from ya for whatever you feel is reasonable.