OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:30 am Happy 4th of July, y’all! I’ve missed the forum bros, we are now on the way back from Thailand, currently at the Helsinki airport again, about a six hour layover this time so not really enough to leave, just chilling after all of the excitement.

Thailand was an amazing experience. Food was incredible, people were great, views were epic. I’m sad it’s over but also excited to get home. I will do a larger review/pictures when I’m back on my computer.
Oh dang, Thailand? I missed the pre-trip post(s). Looking forward to the pics and commentary. :like:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

coogles wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:37 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:30 am Happy 4th of July, y’all! I’ve missed the forum bros, we are now on the way back from Thailand, currently at the Helsinki airport again, about a six hour layover this time so not really enough to leave, just chilling after all of the excitement.

Thailand was an amazing experience. Food was incredible, people were great, views were epic. I’m sad it’s over but also excited to get home. I will do a larger review/pictures when I’m back on my computer.
Oh dang, Thailand? I missed the pre-trip post(s). Looking forward to the pics and commentary. :like:
Yeah it's a shame he missed cars and coffee to be on the beach way over there.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:22 pm
coogles wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:37 pm

Yeah it's a shame he missed cars and coffee to be on the beach way over there.
Nobody has their priorities straight these days.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Hi there fellas. Things have been running good from here and out.

Yesterday, :tits: and I both have days off #teacherlyfe so we went to Rehoboth beach yet again to meet up with my cousins, so they met her. We went to dogfish (local brewery restaurant here in the mid-atlantic, :millennial: :narc: knows). Also my cousin is also a teacher, her dog and her neighbors dog that she's babysitting were having a grand ol time. We got rained out in the beach earlier than expected. Now I'm on my ipad in chikfila while waiting for :tits: for her barre class, I offered ride there and back. Gonna head home, refresh the parents house as they're in Turkey right now, meal prep throughout this week. Once I wrap up with everything, I will head to gym cause I've been slacking a lot of that lately. Hotel is getting a lot better. I have a few packages coming in for things to bring for my friends and family in Turkey.

Speaking for the trip, :tits: and I will spend 2 nights in Amsterdam, then to my hometown Istanbul. She will meet my grandparents along with the rest of my family who lives there. :excited:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:55 am Hi there fellas. Things have been running good from here and out.

Yesterday, :tits: and I both have days off #teacherlyfe so we went to Rehoboth beach yet again to meet up with my cousins, so they met her. We went to dogfish (local brewery restaurant here in the mid-atlantic, :millennial: :narc: knows). Also my cousin is also a teacher, her dog and her neighbors dog that she's babysitting were having a grand ol time. We got rained out in the beach earlier than expected. Now I'm on my ipad in chikfila while waiting for :tits: for her barre class, I offered ride there and back. Gonna head home, refresh the parents house as they're in Turkey right now, meal prep throughout this week. Once I wrap up with everything, I will head to gym cause I've been slacking a lot of that lately. Hotel is getting a lot better. I have a few packages coming in for things to bring for my friends and family in Turkey.

Speaking for the trip, :tits: and I will spend 2 nights in Amsterdam, then to my hometown Istanbul. She will meet my grandparents along with the rest of my family who lives there. :excited:
Dang, sounds like things are getting pretty serious with :tits: ! Should be fun. I love Amsterdam, probably my favorite Euro city I've visited.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:19 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:55 am Hi there fellas. Things have been running good from here and out.

Dang, sounds like things are getting pretty serious with :tits: ! Should be fun. I love Amsterdam, probably my favorite Euro city I've visited.
Thanks mahgriff, another thing I shouldve also mentioned, I'm meeting her mom and her little sister this weekend as well.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
McQueenBalls
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:55 pm Griff we are looking but it’s rough right now. Sellers are greedy and the market is cooling off. I’ve seen a lot of beat ass expensive homes.

We did pick an area to focus on though. So that’s progress I think.

Fingers crossed we find something soon. Otherwise it’s another winter here.
Word. Started looking again recently, post-covid 16 month furlough, and $1.2mil 3 bedroom crack dens from the mid 80’s are selling for like 300k over asking cuz Armenians roll deeeeep w cash, so I’m not getting my hopes up while I stare at low 6-figure money market acct balance that just since there yawning at me.
Current: 2016 328i M sport JB+, lots of gay options - Most Expensive 4 banger in history

Past: 2010 GTI 2dr 6 spd stage1 shit pile | 2013 320i Sportpkg stage 1 - Groundskeeper's Edition
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

McQueenBalls wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:11 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:55 pm Griff we are looking but it’s rough right now. Sellers are greedy and the market is cooling off. I’ve seen a lot of beat ass expensive homes.

We did pick an area to focus on though. So that’s progress I think.

Fingers crossed we find something soon. Otherwise it’s another winter here.
Word. Started looking again recently, post-covid 16 month furlough, and $1.2mil 3 bedroom crack dens from the mid 80’s are selling for like 300k over asking cuz Armenians roll deeeeep w cash, so I’m not getting my hopes up while I stare at low 6-figure money market acct balance that just since there yawning at me.
LA has been going :fullretard: over the last 6-9 months for some odd reason. I think a lot of those that "fled" are coming back... but now everyone is priced out. My buddy just got his 3 bed crack-den for $1.15 and he was able to re-negotiate it a bit lower too (by 50k).... Prices are cooling. But I wouldn't buy shit right now. Prices will correct soon, but it won't be any "cheaper" to own a house. The current cost of owning a house in cali is just about 8% per year... so think about that...

On a 1M house you're paying about 80K in taxes and interest+ some repair... It is NOT an investment at the current interest rates.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:dat: Hope things continue to go well for you 2.

Also, agreed on Amsterdam. It's a fun little city with a lot of charm. If you can, try an Indonesian restaurant. The one we went to was :amaze: :drool:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
McQueenBalls
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

max225 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:20 pm
McQueenBalls wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:11 pm

LA has been going :fullretard: over the last 6-9 months for some odd reason. I think a lot of those that "fled" are coming back... but now everyone is priced out. My buddy just got his 3 bed crack-den for $1.15 and he was able to re-negotiate it a bit lower too (by 50k).... Prices are cooling. But I wouldn't buy shit right now. Prices will correct soon, but it won't be any "cheaper" to own a house. The current cost of owning a house in cali is just about 8% per year... so think about that...

On a 1M house you're paying about 80K in taxes and interest+ some repair... It is NOT an investment at the current interest rates.
Yes it’s absurd. Just spewing $. I want to try in Spring of ‘23 realistically. I’ve noticed thinggs dipping a little, hoping for more humane listings in like 8-9mos
Current: 2016 328i M sport JB+, lots of gay options - Most Expensive 4 banger in history

Past: 2010 GTI 2dr 6 spd stage1 shit pile | 2013 320i Sportpkg stage 1 - Groundskeeper's Edition
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

McQueenBalls wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:28 pm

Yes it’s absurd. Just spewing $. I want to try in Spring of ‘23 realistically. I’ve noticed thinggs dipping a little, hoping for more humane listings in like 8-9mos
Yeah Philly burbs are cooling pretty quickly. Lots of homes stagnant and lowering prices now. Rates suck but if the right home comes available we are taking it, refi later.

Yeah not a great time to move unfortunately. But we are sick of the city and ready for a change.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:57 pm

Yeah Philly burbs are cooling pretty quickly. Lots of homes stagnant and lowering prices now. Rates suck but if the right home comes available we are taking it, refi later.

Yeah not a great time to move unfortunately. But we are sick of the city and ready for a change.
Smart. This is the way.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh

Tight urban living with the cf is no bueno.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:40 pm

Smart. This is the way.
Is it just me or does the mercurial nature of the economy/people's whim amaze anyone else? February 2020, errthang chugging along Murican style brrrrrrrrrrrr. Then the Vid, SHAZAM must send housing market into orbit ZOMG must have house in the country/suburbs to walk around in sweats gaining weight and living that NEW FOREVER WFH LYFE. Now must go back to work and call the cops on the homeless colony blocking the entrance to my hipster condo in the Mission District and hope they arrive in a week. Turns out Lake Tahoe didn't have enough coffee shops and $50 sandwiches YO. Now everyone is depressed and the economy is doomed and gas is too expensive but there are waiting lines for EV's. Does fucking anybody just like what they are doing?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
McQueenBalls
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:54 pm
Smart. This is the way.
Is it just me or does the mercurial nature of the economy/people's whim amaze anyone else? February 2020, errthang chugging along Murican style brrrrrrrrrrrr. Then the Vid, SHAZAM must send housing market into orbit ZOMG must have house in the country/suburbs to walk around in sweats gaining weight and living that NEW FOREVER WFH LYFE. Now must go back to work and call the cops on the homeless colony blocking the entrance to my hipster condo in the Mission District and hope they arrive in a week. Turns out Lake Tahoe didn't have enough coffee shops and $50 sandwiches YO. Now everyone is depressed and the economy is doomed and gas is too expensive but there are waiting lines for EV's. Does fucking anybody just like what they are doing?
Good points are good points

ChrisoftheNorth

Smart. This is the way.
The mercurial nature of humanity never ceases to amaze me. I still remember in 08 when gas prices last peaked and Geo Metros were selling for $20k and used Prius were selling for more than new. They couldn't give away SUVs and car companies vowed to change their ways to get .gov payouts. People were upside down on houses that they couldn't afford, walking away, making dumb decisions, etc.

This time, we had a fundamental shift in how work is done. I'm amazed how quickly people moved without thinking everything through. But new car demand is still outpacing production, unemployment is still crazy low, houses are still crazy expensive (relative to just a few years ago) so there's really no consequence for these knee jerk reactions...yet. I think that's what's driving a lot of the :fullretard: now, the lack of consequence. There will be consequences at some point, but it's still a ways off. Buckle up for some :fullretard:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:43 pm

The mercurial nature of humanity never ceases to amaze me. I still remember in 08 when gas prices last peaked and Geo Metros were selling for $20k and used Prius were selling for more than new. They couldn't give away SUVs and car companies vowed to change their ways to get .gov payouts. People were upside down on houses that they couldn't afford, walking away, making dumb decisions, etc.

This time, we had a fundamental shift in how work is done. I'm amazed how quickly people moved without thinking everything through. But new car demand is still outpacing production, unemployment is still crazy low, houses are still crazy expensive (relative to just a few years ago) so there's really no consequence for these knee jerk reactions...yet. I think that's what's driving a lot of the :fullretard: now, the lack of consequence. There will be consequences at some point, but it's still a ways off. Buckle up for some :fullretard:
Agreed that the consequences for basically leaving your post while stoned and following a butterfly for a year and a half has been nonexistent. Follow your dreams bro, follow your dreams, it will all work out.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:57 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:43 pm

Agreed that the consequences for basically leaving your post while stoned and following a butterfly for a year and a half has been nonexistent. Follow your dreams bro, follow your dreams, it will all work out.
There's no consequences for any actions anywhere it seems.

Consequences for paying six figures over asking for a house? Zero HOUSE PRICES GO UP FOREVER
Consequences for buying that new 4R TuRD Bro with a $20k markup because you just have to have it? Zero CAR PRICES ARE GOING UP FOREVER
Consequences for maxing out the CCs to buy all the fancy shit you don't need? Zero WAGES ARE GOING UP FOREVER

It makes being fiscally conservative really challenging, but I'm amazed by how taxed people are. Talking to our neighbors next door, EVERYTHING is on loan. House, house projects, cars, their boat, EVERYTHING. We had some retaining wall work done that most companies were quoting us near 6 figures to do. The dudes our general hired to do our patio last year quoted us $20k. They did a fantastic job on the patio, I had no reservations hiring them for the retaining walls. They did it all quickly and beautifully. Neighbors need retaining wall work done, told them about our dudes, they asked "are they cash only?". I responded "uh, is there any other way?". They told me that some contractors will work with banks to provide financing and they prefer to go that route. I told them interest rates are probably terrible right now for that so :butwhy: just pay cash...then the truth came out...they don't have $20k in cash to spend.

I suspect they're not alone, and it explains why I can't find a damned contractor to quote a job for under 6 figures. If people just take out loans to pay it, why the fuck not charge whatever? Money is just a vague concept to many at this stage. The house of cards we've built as a society over the last few years is incredibly scary.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Welcome back man, good to see you stopping by.

Definitely not envious of the LA housing market, main reason I never moved out there when I wanted to and had the opportunity. Three bed crack den is 'only' $500-600K here which is cool I guess but still rather disturbing as it was half that three years ago. Fortunately we acquired ours in 2019, unfortunately as prices have gone up, the meth hookers are still as present as ever.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Smart. This is the way.
Grass is always greener, nothing is ever enough. The human race is just greedy and dissatisfied by nature I think. We are also inundated with shit we are supposed to want constantly on social media/internet/TV/you name it. My wife looks at houses on Zillow almost daily and it's just like... :butwhy: we have a perfectly fine house we got for a 50% discount over today's prices, have a 15 year mortgage at half of todays rates, why would we change that?

Who am I to judge though when I'm calling Toyota :dillers: about GR86 at $5K over MSRP when I have a perfectly fine poverty BMW that I own outright.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:46 pm

Tight urban living with the cf is no bueno.
Well. It’s actually not that bad. We are spoiled, so much stuff we can walk to easily including like 5 good playgrounds.

Add the dog into the mix and things get tight really quickly.

I’m also just sick of no AC, our tiny ass pink bathroom, and constantly looking at trash everywhere.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:22 pm

Also, agreed on Amsterdam. It's a fun little city with a lot of charm. If you can, try an Indonesian restaurant. The one we went to was :amaze: :drool:
It has little to no drama, and Im used to the spice because thats practically the environment I was raised with. Especially with how shitty dating life is in this day of age, I'm just incredibly grateful. From meeting my parents, some of my friends and hers, and just yesterday my cousins, things have been smooth as if they have met her before. I also too felt the same way when I first met her in person too, let alone we have been texting for a little over a month prior to that.

The key is, never be :crang: meaning putting girls you just met at pedestal when things took a wrong turn. Also once I find out the intentions aren't met, I :nope: Simple as that. Out of all the dates that went :eeyore: I think of a mindset that god was looking out for me before I eventually find out that they're not for me, which I've realized down the road. Do I miss apps in this current dating era? Unless I use it on a one night stand, sure. But generally, just no.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:10 pm
wap wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:22 pm

It has little to no drama, and Im used to the spice because thats practically the environment I was raised with. Especially with how shitty dating life is in this day of age, I'm just incredibly grateful. From meeting my parents, some of my friends and hers, and just yesterday my cousins, things have been smooth as if they have met her before. I also too felt the same way when I first met her in person too, let alone we have been texting for a little over a month prior to that.

The key is, never be :crang: meaning putting girls you just met at pedestal when things took a wrong turn. Also once I find out the intentions aren't met, I :nope: Simple as that. Out of all the dates that went :eeyore: I think of a mindset that god was looking out for me before I eventually find out that they're not for me, which I've realized down the road. Do I miss apps in this current dating era? Unless I use it on a one night stand, sure. But generally, just no.
:like: :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

So as promised, a bit of a write up on my recent vacation to Thailand (with a stop in Finland):

Day 1: we departed CLT in the afternoon, landed in NYC without a hitch, and took a redeye on Finnair to Helsinki. The flights pretty much went without a hitch and Finnair is a pretty nice airline, would fly again. Bonus points in that they're linked with American, I think these flights pushed me over the limit into gold status for the year, may be able to reach Platinum by the end. American is shit, but CLT is their east coast hub, so I'm married to them. Slightly less shit with status, so that is cool.

Day 2: We hung out in Helsinki. We landed at 6 AM and didn't leave until midnight, so we had an entire day. All-in-all, Helsinki is sort of the Charlotte, NC of Europe. It's a pretty, clean, nice city that I'm sure is a great place to live but not super exciting as a destination. It was quite pretty, we saw a few cool churches. We tried the signature dishes - salmon soup was 5/7, would eat again. Reindeer was aight, no real interest in trying it again. Very enjoyable place to spend a day exploring, but I don't really think I'd take a trip there specifically.

Day 3: we had ANOTHER red eye to Bangkok... this flight got delayed and was long as ass. We didn't land until about 5 PM Bangkok time the following day. We then took about a pretty brutal two hour cab ride (traffic was rough) to our hotel, had dinner/drinks/met our group, and then passed out. Note that this two hour cab was like $12. Things in Thailand are cheap as fuck.

Day 4: saw a bunch of temples/explored Bangkok and Ayutthaya. Got to eat a bunch of local street/market food as well. Food in Thailand is soooo good and sooo cheap. The temples were super cool to see, built from 1200 AD or so on, many were amazingly well preserved and very beautiful. We ended the day with an overnight train to Chaing Mai (fortunately with beds)

Day 5: Explored Chiang Mai, visited the mountaintop temple of Doi Suthep in local songthaews (their taxis - covered terrorist spec pickup trucks with rows of seats in the back). The views up there were dope. I really liked this city a lot, it was a great size, not too intimidatingly huge like Bangkok but very beautiful, historic, more amazing food, incredibly kind and helpful locals.

Day 6: Walked around Chiang Mai some more with the wife, then went to Bua Thong waterfalls, locally known as Sticky Falls to hike and sightsee. They're called sticky falls as you can walk up them barefoot, which was a lot of fun hiking up/down waterfalls. This evening, we did a cooking class which was really 5/7. I don't really care for cooking at all, I do it to eat, but not something I particularly enjoy, but this was a lot of fun, getting :drunk: and cooking with our group. The instructor Thai guy was 5/7. That night we also went to a 'Lady Boy' show as it's locally called (drag show) at a bar. More :drunk: ensued and much entertainment/lolz.

Day 7: We visited an elephant sanctuary for most of the day. We got to hang out with elephants, make them food/medicine, hike with them, feed them, wash them off, etc. Pretty :neat: experience, they are amazing creatures, very smart, gentle, and friendly. Fortunately most of the abuse that has gone on in Thailand (poaching, tourism elephant rides, etc) has been shut down.

Day 8: We took a flight to Krabi province (southern Thailand/beach area). We then went to a mangrove forest and did a kayaking expedition around the area and to some private beaches. Then we took a boat to our last hotel at Railay Beach. This was a very touristy area but was quite cool nonetheless. Amazing beaches, views, cliffs, monkeys everywhere, pretty dope spot.

Day 9: Did some hikes around Railay, watched local monkeys, ate more food and ice cream, did a night kayak where we saw bioluminescent plankton.

Day 10: Cruising around to the islands of the Andaman Sea on a long boat with our group. We swam, snorkeled, had a picnic lunch, drank beers (Chang was my go-to in Thailand). Fun times.

Day 11: We did some rock climbing which was very legit and pretty hard, definitely 5/7. We also did a hike through a cave and repelled down a cliff side from the top of it.

Day 11: We started the long journey home. By this point, I think we had COVID, felt pretty shitty, and it was not much fun. East Coast USA to Asia is FAR AS FUCK and man does that travel/time change blow, but very much worth it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Helsinki: