Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tar wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:52 am This thing is pretty gnarly... I would love to have this if I weren't playing lead role in "Married With Children".

https://staging.toyota.com/upcoming-veh ... 42jJIu9NEU
Page not found :rage:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:25 am
Tar wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:52 am This thing is pretty gnarly... I would love to have this if I weren't playing lead role in "Married With Children".

https://staging.toyota.com/upcoming-veh ... 42jJIu9NEU
Really?
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tar wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:26 am
max225 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:25 am

Really?
Yeah, that link doesn't work for me any more, either.
Page Not Found
It looks like this page is no longer available.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

It worked for me about a half hour ago, :doe: :iono:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Performance
GR Corolla sports a 1.6L turbocharged engine with 300 hp and 273 lb.-ft. of torque, paired with a 6-speed Intelligent Manual Transmission (iMT). Showcasing its capabilities to put power to the ground, its GR-FOUR AWD system automatically distributes power from 50/50 up to 30/70 front and rear for ultimate traction come rain or shine. And by enhancing your drive with Normal, Sport and Track Modes, this hot hatch is more than ready to rally.

Design
Outfitted with an aggressive front grille, flared fenders to accommodate a wide track, rear diffuser and functional vents for enhancing aerodynamics and cooling—there’s no need for GR Corolla to fight for attention. Inside, a GR leather-trimmed steering wheel and unique gauge cluster elevates your excitement on any track. GR Corolla Launch Edition pours on the details even further with a forged carbon-fiber roof, vented hood, matte-black 18-in. wheels * and upgraded Ultrasuede® * and synthetic leather-trimmed seats.

Handling
For whatever road you take, GR Corolla’s circuit-tuned suspension and Michelin® Pilot® Sport 4S tires * won’t let harsh road conditions rain on your parade. GR Corolla Launch Edition features front and rear Torsen® * limited-slip differential for a better grip while upgraded performance brakes help you dig into corners. It’s time to find your new comfort zone.
max225

Ty ! Looks as expected…
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:41 am Ty ! Looks as expected…
No problemo...
It does a lot of cool things, like 30/70 rear bias AWD, LSD, etc. Pretty nice equipment offerings on it.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Sounds awesome
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

So :fuckyeah:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

There's a lot of mention of "launch edition features" like the vented hood, LSD front and rear, and suspension. Curious what that's all about. Sign me up for the poverty version in a few years...hopefully it's in production that long.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:51 pm There's a lot of mention of "launch edition features" like the vented hood, LSD front and rear, and suspension. Curious what that's all about. Sign me up for the poverty version in a few years...hopefully it's in production that long.
That stuff will probably be in the optional "track pack" like the Yaris. Which if you buy one without that stuff you're just throwing away the resale, so you might as well get it and enjoy it.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:58 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:51 pm There's a lot of mention of "launch edition features" like the vented hood, LSD front and rear, and suspension. Curious what that's all about. Sign me up for the poverty version in a few years...hopefully it's in production that long.
That stuff will probably be in the optional "track pack" like the Yaris. Which if you buy one without that stuff you're just throwing away the resale, so you might as well get it and enjoy it.
I want something sporty but somewhat soft because I'm an old and roads suck. Resale would be fucked, but I'd actually probably enjoy it more.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Cheese

I really, REALLY like what I'm seeing with the Corolla GR so far. Very cool. If only I could afford one. I wonder what pricing will be. I hope it's competitive so it sells well.
Mk6 Jetta 1.8T with sketchy history (sold) -> :cheese:
IG: @cheesy_miata and @adeebsal
wap

adoob wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:46 pm I really, REALLY like what I'm seeing with the Corolla GR so far. Very cool. If only I could afford one. I wonder what pricing will be. I hope it's competitive so it sells well.
:dat:
And maybe, just maybe, it inspires other OEM's to make something similar...
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Love the new GR. Anything on price yet? I'm guessing high 30's but I can't wait to see them for $60k on dealer lots.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

I'm really digging the GR Corolla. Hopefully it won't be priced to the moon with dealers marking it up beyond Mars.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:45 pm
Pepper thine anguses, the ADMs are coming.
Not here 😂

I’m not sure if they’re going to sell far outside of their PMA but reach out and I can probably get one at MSRP for those willing to get in line behind me. Same with the GR86.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Cheese

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:50 pm I'm really digging the GR Corolla. Hopefully it won't be priced to the moon with dealers marking it up beyond Mars.
I predict around $40k. The circuit pack with the bulgy hood and carbon fiber roof will be more, and the Core without the bulgy bits will be a bit less.

Think about what it's competing against: GoRf and CTR. It's also a legitimate drivers car with AWD.

I'm gonna be a little more hopeful and go with 35k starting. It's competing with both R's but as a performance brand GR doesn't have the history that the Type R name does. Price might make it more appealing. Richard is betting on it matching or being close to the Elantra N's MSRP. Either way, very cool car that I'm excited for.
Mk6 Jetta 1.8T with sketchy history (sold) -> :cheese:
IG: @cheesy_miata and @adeebsal
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I imagine it’ll be tough to get into one for less than $55k for the first year, so get in Fled’s line if you want one.

Seems pretty cool though, would hood.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

adoob wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:07 am

I predict around $40k. The circuit pack with the bulgy hood and carbon fiber roof will be more, and the Core without the bulgy bits will be a bit less.

Think about what it's competing against: GoRf and CTR. It's also a legitimate drivers car with AWD.

I'm gonna be a little more hopeful and go with 35k starting. It's competing with both R's but as a performance brand GR doesn't have the history that the Type R name does. Price might make it more appealing. Richard is betting on it matching or being close to the Elantra N's MSRP. Either way, very cool car that I'm excited for.
GTIs are $40k now though :iono:

$35k is a nice thought but I doubt it.

Hyundai are unique with the value proposition right now because they’ve never done any performance anything and they’re still in the proving themselves phase in that market. Many people still feel like Max and turn their noses at slanty H as well.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:04 am
adoob wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:07 am

GTIs are $40k now though :iono:

$35k is a nice thought but I doubt it.

Hyundai are unique with the value proposition right now because they’ve never done any performance anything and they’re still in the proving themselves phase in that market. Many people still feel like Max and turn their noses at slanty H as well.
The slanty H can promptly go fuck themselves after the experience my cousin and his wife had with them. The engine in their 2013 Soul popped and you can't get a new one. After I did some looking around, these 1.6 and 2.0 engines are popping left and right due to excessive oil consumption issues. So frequently, in fact, that class-action lawsuits were filed. The 2.0 lawsuit stuck, but the 1.6 was thrown out due to semantics. So, Hyundai washed their hands of the whole thing and stopped offering the 1.6 replacement engines. We ordered directly from Kia/Hyundai online suppliers, who had the engine marked as being in stock, but they all cancelled the orders saying the engine was discontinued. The only options left were to pull the existing engine to have it rebuilt, get a junkyard engine, or go buy a cheap car and ride out this nonsensical market.

Needless to say, his wife is loving her new 1998 Volvo S70 with 85k on the clock.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:01 am I imagine it’ll be tough to get into one for less than $55k for the first year, so get in Fled’s line if you want one.

Seems pretty cool though, would hood.
My dealer flat "doesn't believe in markups". I already contacted my sales dude to let me know if they get any lines on GR Corollas. He said they don't usually get specialty models, but I'm the first to ask so :iono: we'll see.

But I don't NEED one this year, so as long as they produce it for more than a few years, I'd probably just buy one when they're more readily available.
max225

These are never going to be “readily” available. Toyota is going to produce far less than the demand. Just like they are doing with the GR Yaris.

Also I’m anticipating the price to be in the low 40s for the “base” and mid 40s for the limited slip model
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:42 am These are never going to be “readily” available. Toyota is going to produce far less than the demand. Just like they are doing with the GR Yaris.

Also I’m anticipating the price to be in the low 40s for the “base” and mid 40s for the limited slip model
We'll see. The Yaris had to have been a money loser due to volume, it was a hype car. I suspect the Corolla is an attempt to recoup some of that investment at least in the engine and powertrain, and I wouldn't be surprised if volume came with it. But they may want to keep the hype up with low production, so hard to say at this stage.

I just don't see the point of building an "affordable" sporty car that nobody can buy. It would make more business sense to make fancier cars where the margins are way higher. But again, nothing makes sense anymore so who knows. I'll be curious if I ever hear from my :dillerman:
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:49 am
max225 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:42 am These are never going to be “readily” available. Toyota is going to produce far less than the demand. Just like they are doing with the GR Yaris.

We'll see. The Yaris had to have been a money loser due to volume, it was a hype car. I suspect the Corolla is an attempt to recoup some of that investment at least in the engine and powertrain, and I wouldn't be surprised if volume came with it. But they may want to keep the hype up with low production, so hard to say at this stage.

I just don't see the point of building an "affordable" sporty car that nobody can buy. It would make more business sense to make fancier cars where the margins are way higher. But again, nothing makes sense anymore so who knows. I'll be curious if I ever hear from my :dillerman:
Yea we shall see, but we have a very long track record of Toyota underproducing their highest end/performance cars driving scarcity and markups.

TRD Pro everything
GR Yaris
Supra

There is going to be nothing "affordable" about the Corolla. The affordable sports car is the 86 and even that one is "sold out".

:disgust: these are fucking TOYOTAS not one of unobtanium Bugatti's