Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:02 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:58 am
The only tuning worth a damned IMO would be a HIGHLY reputable shop doing a custom tune for you to get the car dialed in exactly how you want it. It is pretty incredible what tuning can accomplish on a car, but it's 100% lighting money on fire.
This is why I haven't done it. There are plenty of shops in a day's drive that would do a great job. The cost gets pretty stupid though. Dyno tune plus an accessport and required mods for more precise fuel control you're looking at about $1500 or more. Then its the slippery slope of why do all that and not go full retard with a downpipe and whatnot.

300 WHP would be awesome in my car though. As is, it makes about 230-250 stock depending on the dyno.
My friend's WRX makes 320whp and has a 6spd swap. It's addicting.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

The only tuning worth a damned IMO would be a HIGHLY reputable shop doing a custom tune for you to get the car dialed in exactly how you want it. It is pretty incredible what tuning can accomplish on a car, but it's 100% lighting money on fire.
This is why I haven't done it. There are plenty of shops in a day's drive that would do a great job. The cost gets pretty stupid though. Dyno tune plus an accessport and required mods for more precise fuel control you're looking at about $1500 or more. Then its the slippery slope of why do all that and not go full retard with a downpipe and whatnot.

300 WHP would be awesome in my car though. As is, it makes about 230-250 stock depending on the dyno.
Oh...I know all about the slippery slope. I went from doing a clutch in my C5 to heads, cam, gears, tuning, etc, etc, etc

I'd be more concerned about the car's staying power. You've been going back and forth on it for a while. Dont' spend the money if the car's not sticking around for the long haul.

But if it is, I'd absolutely do a few mods before tuning. You only want to pay for tuning once...and yes even small changes can impact the tune.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Depends on goals here
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:10 am

Oh...I know all about the slippery slope. I went from doing a clutch in my C5 to heads, cam, gears, tuning, etc, etc, etc

I'd be more concerned about the car's staying power. You've been going back and forth on it for a while. Dont' spend the money if the car's not sticking around for the long haul.

But if it is, I'd absolutely do a few mods before tuning. You only want to pay for tuning once...and yes even small changes can impact the tune.
The sad reality is that even a CAI requires a :tuna: on those cars. So you either tune on a stock platform or you full :rabithole:
max225

What is the actual gain from a CAI, also I find that term misleading as most OEM intakes are actually CAI. But aftermarket conical shit is always WAI
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:56 pm What is the actual gain from a CAI, also I find that term misleading as most OEM intakes are actually CAI. But aftermarket conical shit is always WAI
I had a tuner tell me that a CAI does more harm than good if a car's not tuned for it. He claimed they redirect air flow in a way so that the MAF doesn't read 100% accurate, so the engine is getting more or less air than it thinks.

He did say that the more direct airflow when tuned for can actually have a nice gain in performance. BUT nobody tunes for CAIs and are probably resulting in best case same performance as stock.

:derp:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:What is the actual gain from a CAI, also I find that term misleading as most OEM intakes are actually CAI. But aftermarket conical shit is always WAI
It's really different for each combo of engine, intake, tune, and other mods. There's no simple general answer.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:59 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:56 pm What is the actual gain from a CAI, also I find that term misleading as most OEM intakes are actually CAI. But aftermarket conical shit is always WAI
I had a tuner tell me that a CAI does more harm than good if a car's not tuned for it. He claimed they redirect air flow in a way so that the MAF doesn't read 100% accurate, so the engine is getting more or less air than it thinks.

He did say that the more direct airflow when tuned for can actually have a nice gain in performance. BUT nobody tunes for CAIs and are probably resulting in best case same performance as stock.

My friends brother cousins friend gained 50whp you're a :gay: asshole
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

If you have a turbo car that's sucking in more air you can approach limits of the factory air filter and need a larger filter surface area. It'll become a restriction. Likely little to no benefit for an NA car.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:12 pm

If you have a turbo car that's sucking in more air you can approach limits of the factory air filter and need a larger filter surface area. It'll become a restriction. Likely little to no benefit for an NA car.
Ah yes, this is a very good point. I have minimal experience with forced induction.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:02 pm

:lolol:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:13 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:12 pm

Ah yes, this is a very good point. I have minimal experience with forced induction.
I mean. I loved my AEM long dick cold air intake I had on my (lol) Ford Focus. But I'd be lying if I said it gave me any gains. If anything it lowered HP. But it made such fun loud ass noises I didn't care.
Johnny_P

It's not sticking around because we can't pave roads in this country and I want an automatic as all my driving sucks anyway.
This is more because I have idle time and my brain starts wandering, and this morning wandered to "what would my car be like tuned?" :derp: mode.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:15 pm
I mean. I loved my AEM long dick cold air intake I had on my (lol) Ford Focus. But I'd be lying if I said it gave me any gains. If anything it lowered HP. But it made such fun loud ass noises I didn't care.
That's the thing. Be real with what you're buying...mostly a sound maker on NA cars. And that's fine if that's what you want.

The dude that tuned my C5 did claim that on a heads/cam car like mine, the CAI was probably worth almost 10hp after tuning. Less filter restriction, straighter airflow, etc.

Maybe :bs: but he claimed to have tuned Heads/cam cars both with and without CAIs and the CAI routinely posted better numbers.
max225

That's fair...
One of my favorite movie quotes of all time.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:17 pm

It's not sticking around because we can't pave roads in this country and I want an automatic as all my driving sucks anyway.
This is more because I have idle time and my brain starts wandering, and this morning wandered to "what would my car be like tuned?" :derp: mode.
Ahhhh yes. Been there.

Lately I've been spending way too much time thinking about buying stuff that I'll never actually buy.
Johnny_P

https://youtu.be/Ye_ALPQqYLg?t=414

God, Jason is such a fucking nerd.

BUT, stock vs stage 1 :datass: STI. Knocks half a second off 0-60 with a brutal clutch dump. Which I have never done. Actually never "launched" this car over 2k RPM... Anyways. A little more torque in the 3k range should make it feel quite a bit faster.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:18 pm

That's the thing. Be real with what you're buying...mostly a sound maker on NA cars. And that's fine if that's what you want.

The dude that tuned my C5 did claim that on a heads/cam car like mine, the CAI was probably worth almost 10hp after tuning. Less filter restriction, straighter airflow, etc.

Maybe :bs: but he claimed to have tuned Heads/cam cars both with and without CAIs and the CAI routinely posted better numbers.
I bought it used for $40 :lolol:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:18 pm

That's fair...
One of my favorite movie quotes of all time.
:okboomer:
Johnny_P

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:26 pm https://youtu.be/Ye_ALPQqYLg?t=414

BUT, stock vs stage 1 :datass: STI. Knocks half a second off 0-60 with a brutal clutch dump. Which I have never done. Actually never "launched" this car over 2k RPM... Anyways. A little more torque in the 3k range should make it feel quite a bit faster.
Also

:lolol:

This car is like 7-7.5 if you're not being brutal on it (white knuckle race vs a 4 cyl Altima). And 5.5 if you drive it like you hate it. Jesus.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:59 pm I had a tuner tell me that a CAI does more harm than good if a car's not tuned for it. He claimed they redirect air flow in a way so that the MAF doesn't read 100% accurate, so the engine is getting more or less air than it thinks.

For reference, with an intake and a custom dyno tune I gained around 25 whp on the :poorvette: - from 355 to 380 at the wheels. The stock intake and tune aren't great on those cars.

On my 86 though? I wouldn't expect to see any increase at all, maybe 5 hp. The stock intake and tune are already pretty well optimized.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:26 pm https://youtu.be/Ye_ALPQqYLg?t=414

So many variables here, but overall seems :notbad:
max225

troyguitar wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:30 pm
max225 wrote:
For reference, with an intake and a custom dyno tune I gained around 25 whp on the :poorvette: - from 355 to 380 at the wheels. The stock intake and tune aren't great on those cars.

On my 86 though? I wouldn't expect to see any increase at all, maybe 5 hp. The stock intake and tune are already pretty well optimized.
Well dyno tune :doe: that's the driver for the gainzzz isn't it?
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:19 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:17 pm

Ahhhh yes. Been there.

Lately I've been spending way too much time thinking about buying stuff that I'll never actually buy.
Right. I've gone down this hole before. Last time was black friday timing when a local flatbrim shop had deals on exhausts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZcm08CX3zM

:fap:
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:30 pm For reference, with an intake and a custom dyno tune I gained around 25 whp on the :poorvette: - from 355 to 380 at the wheels. The stock intake and tune aren't great on those cars.

Well dyno tune :doe: that's the driver for the gainzzz isn't it?
It's the two combined. Changing the system and then tuning it for that change.

Also 25 hp still isn't that much when you're starting out with over 350. In hindsight I wouldn't have bothered.