Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:10 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:05 pm

Well that's why I sold mine. It made 0 sense in a 2 car solution and putting tons of miles on a plastic fantastic is shit, (as you've found out).

I did 1 full year of 15-17k miles on mine and the rest were 3-5k miles, as a secondary weekend vehicle. It got old :doe: since it needed work
Now I have the Kamry :doe: ... such a boring only car.

I really enjoy tracking but it's so damn expensive and time consuming... kind of at a crossroads where I need to decide about it.
What happened to brubtilldeath with selling the Kamry and going brubtub full time?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Apex wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:39 pm

I really enjoy tracking but it's so damn expensive and time consuming... kind of at a crossroads where I need to decide about it.
What happened to brubtilldeath with selling the Kamry and going brubtub full time?
That is also a consideration :lolol: .

That Zillspec ownershit period.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:35 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:17 pm

Who doesn't enjoy tracking bruh. Life comes at you fast when you realize what a day at the track costs you. I enjoy $$$$$ restaurants as well. But I can't afford that shit and stick to $-$$$

And yes the Kamry is boring in base (i4) spec you can go up a few notches until it is fun. Getting a 335i/340i and some wheels and tires and an exhaust would do wonders, and it would be pretty much as good as or better than a stock C5 performance wise.
I mean, straight line, yeah, braking yeah... couldn't really trackday bro it though I doubt. I haven't really looked into it though. I know very little about it, it's pretty much just basic transportation++ to me, and it is really great for that. I think with a square setup it would be much better, but I can't even find any good info on what the damn wheel sizes are.
It depends on how you set it up. The chassis is good, it is 50/50 weight and with good tires these cars handle really well. I know the M3 for ex has no cooling issues, not sure about the other models, but they all come with oil coolers standard now, so I am sure it is fine. But 100% agreed on basic transport, that's what your car was purchased for. Giving it dual duty is difficult and will have downsides, as with anything.

Just gotta figure out what you want out of the vehicle, in the end. Whether it is a nice comfy seat+badge+looks+mpgs or track cred. They are fundamentally opposing requirements.

You can easily sell your car for 20-22k I think, and get a 335i for 25-28k that is in near mint shape. So it isn't a huge upcharge to pay to consolidate two vehicles. The 335i/340i, will require around ~3k in mods :doe: so it isn't all free and clear.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showt ... p?t=685033
Here is some info for you.
18x8" ET34 225/45-18 front / 18x8.5" ET47 255/40-18 rear
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I'm probably just talking out my ass due to wedding, job, and moving stress.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:41 pm

I mean, straight line, yeah, braking yeah... couldn't really trackday bro it though I doubt. I haven't really looked into it though. I know very little about it, it's pretty much just basic transportation++ to me, and it is really great for that. I think with a square setup it would be much better, but I can't even find any good info on what the damn wheel sizes are.
It depends on how you set it up. The chassis is good, it is 50/50 weight and with good tires these cars handle really well. I know the M3 for ex has no cooling issues, not sure about the other models, but they all come with oil coolers standard now, so I am sure it is fine. But 100% agreed on basic transport, that's what your car was purchased for. Giving it dual duty is difficult and will have downsides, as with anything.

Just gotta figure out what you want out of the vehicle, in the end. Whether it is a nice comfy seat+badge+looks+mpgs or track cred. They are fundamentally opposing requirements.

You can easily sell your car for 20-22k I think, and get a 335i for 25-28k that is in near mint shape. So it isn't a huge upcharge to pay to consolidate two vehicles. The 335i/340i, will require around ~3k in mods :doe: so it isn't all free and clear.

Thanks, actually found that right after. I had hoped the wheels were just the same width, haven't actually measured them.
max225

Apex wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:39 pm

Just like the :manuel: till i die squad etc etc.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Do C7 Corvettes scrape on everything? The overhang looks way shorter.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:41 pm

:plac: profit :waxer:
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:47 pm Do C7 Corvettes scrape on everything? The overhang looks way shorter.
They def don't clear curbs, something I paid attention to the other day. Considering they have an actual grille opening as opposed to C5s/C6s they shouldn't scrape nearly as much.

Yet it still seems to have a big ant pusher under the bumper
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:50 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:47 pm Do C7 Corvettes scrape on everything? The overhang looks way shorter.
They def don't clear curbs, something I paid attention to the other day. Considering they have an actual grille opening as opposed to C5s/C6s they shouldn't scrape nearly as much.

:aintcare: about that scraping really. The actual painted nose of the C5 scrapes a lot, not talking curbs but just like... parking lot transitions. Hell, the middle of my car hits the ground in some parking deck ramps. That's really the one thing that makes it so hard to DD. You can't go to 50% of the city because of the "shitty transitions".
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:52 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:50 pm

:aintcare: about that scraping really. The actual painted nose of the C5 scrapes a lot, not talking curbs but just like... parking lot transitions. Hell, the middle of my car hits the ground in some parking deck ramps. That's really the one thing that makes it so hard to DD. You can't go to 50% of the city because of the "shitty transitions".
I am well aware I couldn't clear parking lot speed bumps unless I went 1 wheel at a time. I also had alumnium "rail protectors" aka speed bump sliders on my C5. because... ITSAC5THING you wouldn't understand. If you don't care about scraping in a C5 why do you care about it in a C7? Same shit different # at the end. My nose didn't scrape in the C5 btw, until that one time I tried to make a u turn and hit a curb... because due to the shitty turning circle I couldn't complete the turn and rolled forward before hitting reverse in the middle of an intersection. :disgust:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:55 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:52 pm

I am well aware I couldn't clear parking lot speed bumps unless I went 1 wheel at a time. I also had alumnium "rail protectors" aka speed bump sliders on my C5. because... ITSAC5THING you wouldn't understand. If you don't care about scraping in a C5 why do you care about it in a C7? Same shit different # at the end.
No, I do hate scraping the actual car, I only don't care if it's the front plastic snow plow, that is meant to scrape and it's fine. But when you'd leaving a chunk of the middle of the car's frame in every parking deck... that is shitty.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:57 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:55 pm

I am well aware I couldn't clear parking lot speed bumps unless I went 1 wheel at a time. I also had alumnium "rail protectors" aka speed bump sliders on my C5. because... ITSAC5THING you wouldn't understand. If you don't care about scraping in a C5 why do you care about it in a C7? Same shit different # at the end.
No, I do hate scraping the actual car, I only don't care if it's the front plastic snow plow, that is meant to scrape and it's fine. But when you'd leaving a chunk of the middle of the car's frame in every parking deck... that is shitty.
Your C5 survived 100k miles, the C7 will too. It'll likely have similar issues due to similar wheel base/rideheight/frame etc. It may be a little bit better but I doubt it'll clear big speed bumps without bottoming out especially with passengers and without going 1 wheel at a time.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Acid666 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:32 pm I love my headers and the brubbing, but all combined it kinda hurts me for autocross. The car's getting more difficult to control even with new 315 rivals. I'm about to start looking into ways to restrict the motor after a guy this weekend mentioned it
4.8L crank.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:Do C7 Corvettes scrape on everything? The overhang looks way shorter.
C6 scrapes less than C5, then C7 scrapes a bit less than the C6. Only the C5 is bad.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:34 pm
D Griff wrote:Do C7 Corvettes scrape on everything? The overhang looks way shorter.
C6 scrapes less than C5, then C7 scrapes a bit less than the C6. Only the C5 is bad.
Would you say the C7 is on par with a Rav 4?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:37 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:34 pm C6 scrapes less than C5, then C7 scrapes a bit less than the C6. Only the C5 is bad.
Would you say the C7 is on par with a Rav 4?
Equally useless on anything but track surfaces.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:34 pm
:dat:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:51 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:38 pm Funny enough... speaking of being too busy... well, I am. I've been trying to think of ways to save some time and unfortunately selling the C5 would be pretty high on the last. Definitely haven't made a decision about it yet, but unfortunately, it's becoming a consideration.
If only you didn't go full :derp: :aintcare: on mods. I'd be totally down for your headers etc.
Going :fullretard: on mods means the car is yours forever. Be careful.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:01 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:51 pm

If only you didn't go full :derp: :aintcare: on mods. I'd be totally down for your headers etc.
Well I was only thinking functional retarded
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:06 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:01 am
Still fighting that losing battle here in California with the srt4. I might give up this year. Fuck going back and forth to smog a corvette with headers and a cam. Not even worth it unless you live in airboatville with no smog.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

NeonJonny wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:24 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:06 pm

Still fighting that losing battle here in California with the srt4. I might give up this year. Fuck going back and forth to smog a corvette with headers and a cam. Not even worth it unless you live in airboatville with no smog.
I won't have any issues. Cam isn't in the cards though.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:46 pm
NeonJonny wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:24 pm
Perhaps it should be. Brubsticks are win.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:49 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:46 pm

Brubsticks + gearz = :plaid:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:57 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:49 pm
Brubsticks + gearz = :plaid:
:dat: