OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:53 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:47 pm

It really depends on your demographic and where you reside. The US for example was substantially safer from 1950-196X. Also crime trends since May have certainly ticked up substantially.
The only place "where" matters is if you're in a war zone.

Neither of the bolded points are accurate.

First, compared to the time period you identified, it's an across the board decrease, particularly in violent crimes. We saw substantial growth in the 80s/90s and are now at it below 1960s rates which were lower than rates in the 1950s.

Second, we don't have crime trends for this year, anyone that tells you we know is wrong. We have anecdotal evidence personal crime is substantially down but we won't know for at least a year.

Don't forget this is what I do for a living. I'm... a tad.. engaged on this stuff.
I haven't mentioned 80/90s I mentioned since the 50s-6X. And yes we certainly do have crime trends. They are released monthly by most major metropolitan areas some even weekly.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/stats/cr ... stats.page

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/downlo ... s-city.pdf
Murders are up 40% burglaries up 40%. yes safer than the 90s but :whocares: that was an exceptionally dark time for NY until some serious policing started taking place.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:01 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:57 pm
White wealthy people are statically far less likely to commit a violent crime.
Also incorrect - it is pretty equivalent across race and income. The SUBSTANTIAL majority of violent crimes are against a partner or family member with acquaintances taking up the rear. "Random violent crime" is so incredibly rare. The "but" here is that is all that makes the news. A guy that murders his wife gets featured on the news for a minute or two unless it is particularly gruesome. A seemingly random shooting will lead the news for days (then when they find out it's not random it disappears from the headlines). The perception is all ratings driven.
Provide evidence to the contrary
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:57 am I have never actually heard of an example of someone who carried protecting themselves or others in any kind of situation. I have nothing against sport gun ownership (hunting, skeet shooting, etc.) but toting a gun around to a mall or other public area of any sort is absolutely asinine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWoLGC-n4i4

Though, this is just one example and not a great one on actual procedure since he was still firing at them as they were clearly fleeing. The law tends to care about that kind of stuff.
max225

https://www.ojjdp.gov/ojstatbb/crime/ucr.asp?table_in=2

lets look at violent crimes 187k for one particular group making up 13% of the population vs 288k for another making up ~60% of the population.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:04 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:02 pm

I haven't mentioned 80/90s I mentioned since the 50s-6X. And yes we certainly do have crime trends. They are released monthly by most major metropolitan areas some even weekly.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/stats/cr ... stats.page

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/downlo ... s-city.pdf
Murders are up 40% burglaries up 40%. yes safer than the 90s but :whocares: that was an exceptionally dark time for NY until some serious policing started taking place.
One city over a couple months does not a trend make. You're a numbers guy, come on. Criminologist in me says you'll see a drop off as these were crimes that were going to occur anyway and initial coronavirus pressure induced action earlier.
So uptick in violent crime is "irrelevant" ? You disputed my statements and I provided cold hard facts. Numbers speak for themselves you're providing commentary that has no factual basis.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:07 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:06 pm
So uptick in violent crime is "irrelevant" ? You disputed my statements and I provided cold hard facts. Numbers speak for themselves you're providing commentary that has no factual basis.
Not relevant for the conversation we were having. You moved the goal posts.
You made false statements about not having crime trends this year and a few others. I refuted them with data.

Your other commentary is now without any merit because you can not provide factual information to back up your claims of refutal of my statements.
Last edited by max225 on Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:11 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:05 pm https://www.ojjdp.gov/ojstatbb/crime/ucr.asp?table_in=2

lets look at violent crimes 187k for one particular group making up 13% of the population vs 288k for another making up ~60% of the population.
Missing a key factor here, income.

When you adjust for race and income, it's fairly even. Income is the biggest commonality.
I clearly stated "white wealthy" when referring to lower crime rates.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:11 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:07 pm

Not relevant for the conversation we were having. You moved the goal posts.
You made false statements about not having crime trends this year and a few others. I refuted them with data.

Your other commentary is now without any merit because you can not provide factual information to back up your claims of refutal of my statements.
A lot of your data is local based to the city, county, state.

Most crime statistics trends are based on the FBI annual crime report. Right now we only have 2019 crime stats. These are the stats used to compare across states/cities/counties because they are the ones substantiated, categorized, investigated and compiled by the FBI.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

razr390 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:17 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:11 pm

Most crime statistics trends are based on the FBI annual crime report. Right now we only have 2019 crime stats. These are the stats used to compare across states/cities/counties because they are the ones substantiated, categorized, investigated and compiled by the FBI.
Happy to revisit in 6 months.
razr390

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:19 pm
razr390 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:17 pm

Happy to revisit in 6 months.
You can already view trends and changes in the past few years to see the accuracy of the reports.

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/ucr
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:24 pm FWIW I'd expect to see an increase in crime in all areas in lower to mid income folks from March to July of this year with an associated offset for the rest of this year/first quarter or so of next year. Obviously the long term economic pain ahead has an impact.

I would expect to see a DRAMATIC increase in domestic violence starting in April or so of this year, particularly in middle to upper class households (households where no one is leaving the house every day anymore).
Child abuse as well. (I know that is under the umbrella of domestic violence). But yeah, pandemic will definitely skew this year’s numbers for the simple fact that more people are jobless, locked down in the house, and bored.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:46 pm
wap wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:44 pm Aren't you statistically more likely to be shot if you have a gun in the :haus: than if you don't?
Significantly. Suicides and spousal homicides increase significantly and obviously you can't have an accidental shooting without a gun.
Thought so. So the best way a gun can protect your family at home is to not exist there in the first place.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:48 pm
wap wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:44 pm Aren't you statistically more likely to be shot if you have a gun in the :haus: than if you don't?
That's a weird way of looking at it. Statistically you're more likely to have a gun if you're in a shittier neighborhood that is more crime prone. The crimes are committed by shitty people, guns don't go out at night and shoot people.
I think that's :wrong:

Most people that own guns are wealthier. At least that's been my observation.
wap

Interesting discussion here, guys. :like:
wap

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:16 pm
wap wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:15 pm

Thought so. So the best way a gun can protect your family at home is to not exist there in the first place.
:dat:

The number of people who defend themselves against an intruder versus use the gun on themselves or a loved one... It's not a pretty statistics.
That's what I'd always heard. Shame so many people don't know/understand/believe/want to believe this.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:15 pm

The number of people who defend themselves against an intruder versus use the gun on themselves or a loved one... It's not a pretty statistics.
You mentioned it earlier, and it really bears repeating...random crime is incredibly rare.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Huckleberry

wap wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:27 pm

That's what I'd always heard. Shame so many people don't know/understand/believe/want to believe this.
A gun's presence does exacerbate "heat of the moment" decisions. A depressive mood swing or finding out your spouse is the town bicycle can quickly turn into deadly scenarios if you have quick access to a weapon.

What I find hilarious is the number of people who swear that they stockpile guns and ammo "in case the government tries to rise up against the people." They are the first ones to piss and moan about any proposed regulation being a gun grab and warn that the government is going to be coming to disarm the citizenry. To me, it sounds like that would be their time to shine. Otherwise, they're just another blowhard hoarder.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:47 pm

A gun's presence does exacerbate "heat of the moment" decisions. A depressive mood swing or finding out your spouse is the town bicycle can quickly turn into deadly scenarios if you have quick access to a weapon.

What I find hilarious is the number of people who swear that they stockpile guns and ammo "in case the government tries to rise up against the people." They are the first ones to piss and moan about any proposed regulation being a gun grab and warn that the government is going to be coming to disarm the citizenry. To me, it sounds like that would be their time to shine. Otherwise, they're just another blowhard hoarder.
How about the federal government deploying the military against american citizens and those same people seemed to support the action?

What in the actual fuck?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

That is :lolol:
Like they're some sort of modern day Minute Men until their time to actually step up, then it's :nevermind:
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:51 pm

How about the federal government deploying the military against american citizens and those same people seemed to support the action?

What in the actual fuck?
:word:
Yea that was fucked for sure. Fucking hypocrites.
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:51 pm

What in the actual fuck?
And that's the other thing. Not a single one of those motherfuckers showed up when federal agents were carting protesters off in unmarked vehicles.

They'll also be the first one to underline "peaceful" in the right to peaceful assembly, and use that as a reason for the government to trample others' rights. But they'll defend the 2A rights of a mass shooter all day, everyday. A bunch of hypocritical pussies.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:55 pm

This is close to the core issue of how we talk about the subject. If we all had baseline facts to start with it would be much easier to agree on how to both preserve that freedom and ensure safety.
Yup.
It's "interesting" how the ATF (I think it's the ATF, or maybe it's the FDA?) is prevented from studying gun-related deaths like traffic fatalities are studied.
max225

So we saying that once someone decides to off themselves they won’t do it if they don’t have a gun ? :lolgasm:
wap

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:56 pm

Fascist administration moving against people that support black people. My surprise is zero.
:notwrong: :(
wap

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:01 pm So we saying that once someone decides to off themselves they won’t do it if they don’t have a gun ? :lolgasm:
I think what is being said that having a gun handy makes it likelier that someone might off themselves in a flash of depression or extreme familiar conflict.

Sadly, I've personally known this to happen. :(