OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

razr390 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:49 pm Interesting. I'm pretty much the opposite. I work hard on things at home and in my personal interests, but anything profitable is boring. Do manual labor, get paid, no thought required. I've never had work that required thought.
I guess it’s what you make of it truly. I did Uber eats on the side during 2020 and found it as a great tool to make extra cash but also to get to know the city.
I 100% plan to do the same in FL if we can get there.

I'm :notsure: yet whether they (or doordash, whomever) allow you to do it on a bike in that market but that would be 5/7.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:06 pm
razr390 wrote:
I guess it’s what you make of it truly. I did Uber eats on the side during 2020 and found it as a great tool to make extra cash but also to get to know the city.
I 100% plan to do the same in FL if we can get there.

I'm :notsure: yet whether they (or doordash, whomever) allow you to do it on a bike in that market but that would be 5/7.
Vespa life
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Threw another offer out on a house that needs a little work.
They came back with, we have another offer and want to wait until the weekend for best and final offers.

Really tempted to have our realtor give them our top number and say deuces we’re rescinding the offer, good day sirs.
Apex

I’m just throwing offers out on anything like mother fucking grapeshot at this point.
troyguitar

Apex wrote:I’m just throwing offers out on anything like mother fucking grapeshot at this point.
Try $350/sqft, apparently that's a magic number.
Apex

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:42 pm
Apex wrote:I’m just throwing offers out on anything like mother fucking grapeshot at this point.
Try $350/sqft, apparently that's a magic number.
I don’t think that’s far off... the reassessed taxes are going to fuck everyone over. Hello $20k tax bills!
troyguitar

Apex wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:42 pm Try $350/sqft, apparently that's a magic number.
I don’t think that’s far off... the reassessed taxes are going to fuck everyone over. Hello $20k tax bills!
Same thing in FL but luckily not quite so high. We'll go from $4k in 2021 to probably $7k in 2022 in a so-called low tax state.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:48 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:42 pm Try $350/sqft, apparently that's a magic number.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7129 ... 8007_zpid/?

$200/sqft and trendy AF
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:07 pm

$200/sqft and trendy AF
Other than the horrendous exterior color this is really
Well done
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

$200/sqft and trendy AF
:notbad:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:07 pm https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7129 ... 8007_zpid/?

$200/sqft and trendy AF
Other than the horrendous exterior color this is really
Well done
I like the blue. It's no purple but it beats the beige that most houses (including ours) are painted. So. Fucking. Boring.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:12 pm
max225 wrote: Other than the horrendous exterior color this is really
Well done
I like the blue. It's no purple but it beats the beige that most houses (including ours) are painted. So. Fucking. Boring.
The exterior is actually the same gray as the interior doors and fireplace. I was fooled initially too.
Apex

$200/sqft and trendy AF
:neat:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:12 pm
max225 wrote: Other than the horrendous exterior color this is really
Well done
We had 50 shades of beige. But I since repainted the entire inside. I’ll do the outside this summer. Also into white.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:12 pm I like the blue. It's no purple but it beats the beige that most houses (including ours) are painted. So. Fucking. Boring.
We had 50 shades of beige. But I since repainted the entire inside. I’ll do the outside this summer. Also into white.
I like a lot of bright white indoors combined with super colorful accents/decor. Fun and easy to change up over time.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:36 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:12 pm I like the blue. It's no purple but it beats the beige that most houses (including ours) are painted. So. Fucking. Boring.
I love the all white look too, especially if the decor has some crisply defined corners and edges. Very clinical but inviting as well. My place is 10 shades of beige as well. Someone else got the white/gray version two houses down.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

troyguitar wrote:
Detroit wrote: Like others have said, with her PMP she should be able to go anywhere. It's tough right now because there's zero growth or interest in producing real products in this country, the only major hiring seems to be in tech and whatnot. IT/software would have been the thing to focus on in hindsight, but it's never too late.

I'm seriously considering starting google certs in UX and data analytics to help me pivot out of physical product industries.
"Should be able to..." is a nice thing to say but so far every application has been crickets for 8-9 years now. Literally zero interviews besides Corning since late 2012.
Nope. Not buying it. We would jump at that experience and we are all digital...if anything a screening call and go from there. Best PM I worked with did construction projects prior... software dev with us for a couple years and now works in healthcare on physical franchise rollout.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

$200/sqft and trendy AF
That is :neat: but kind of a "(hasn't yet) up and come" area. I like it way more than my house but the neighborhood way less. We paid $287 per sq. ft. in 2019, it is now allegedly $338, so :mahtroy: numbers are pretty on point :disappoint:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:19 am

$200/sqft and trendy AF
That is :neat: but kind of a "(hasn't yet) up and come" area. I like it way more than my house but the neighborhood way less. We paid $287 per sq. ft. in 2019, it is now allegedly $338, so :mahtroy: numbers are pretty on point :disappoint:
ALWAYS buy the area over the house. Houses can be changed, the area is a crap shoot. Crappiest house in the nicest area is the goal IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:05 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
Plus 12 billion. This whole "retire at 50" thing, while admirable, means nothing if you want to stick a Glock in your mouth every day. Also dude. You're obviously a very bright cat, just a little short on formal ed/job contacts. I have have often thought about "backup plans" or simply saying fuck it. If you max target is like 60 grand, it seems to me there are plenty of ways to get there other than working at Taco Bell or doing freelance work on your computer. Don't just think about pay, think about benefits. Ideas in no particular order.....

1. Working for the State of Florida, a Municipality or a utility. There's worse thangs than driving around in a Jeep all day measuring water meters.
2. Get a CDL, which would be easy af for you. Drive for Fed Ex, for UPS, or shit, just drive truck part time. That's a shitload more than minimum wage.
3. Bust out of your shell a bit and do service industry stuff. Bartenders in high end spots pull major coin, oftentimes six digits. IMHO, being a top flight bartender/waiter is a respectable way to make a living.

None of these jobs has major payday ceilings but WHO CARES.........As Max pointed out your home is quite affordable.
I'm that person who simply cannot show up to work every day, regardless of the job. It's probably some kind of anxiety thing. At 10-20 hrs a week I'm about the best employee you can get for <6 figures, but ask for more and within a couple of months I'm fired. I'm made for the "gig economy" - most people just assume I'm lazy and maybe I am but it's been like that for 30 years.

This is why the focus is not on me. I'll do whatever I can for minimum wage and that's that for the foreseeable future.

Until you old bastards in charge start hiring people part time for good jobs, I won't get one.
So a few things that could be a bit better than minimum wage... you are really good at 'tinkering', maybe try to set up a mobile bike repair business or something. There is crazy high demand for this stuff right now. I was on a group ride last weekend and it seemed like all 10 or so other people were annoyed that no bike shops could take them in for weeks on end for maintenance and they seemed mostly rather :mindblown: that I just fuck with my own shit. Another thing that could be easy is like... small motor repair. You can typically fix an issue with say, a lawnmower for sub $10 in parts and it's easy/quick compared to car stuff. I imagine plenty of people would pay $100 to have someone fix their weedeater or whatever.

The tricky thing is marketing something like this, but it doesn't hurt to throw ads on Facebook marketplace and Craigslist and see if you get any takers.

The CDL thing is also a pretty good idea. There are lots of seasonal/"gig economy" jobs in that world, the demand is high and pay is pretty solid. My brother is a :truk: driver and makes like $80K I think, not anything crazy, but :notbad: either.

I am :notsure: why your wife isn't getting more bites... honestly that LinkedIn is really :impressive: IMO.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:38 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:05 pm I'm that person who simply cannot show up to work every day, regardless of the job. It's probably some kind of anxiety thing. At 10-20 hrs a week I'm about the best employee you can get for <6 figures, but ask for more and within a couple of months I'm fired. I'm made for the "gig economy" - most people just assume I'm lazy and maybe I am but it's been like that for 30 years.

This is why the focus is not on me. I'll do whatever I can for minimum wage and that's that for the foreseeable future.

Until you old bastards in charge start hiring people part time for good jobs, I won't get one.
So a few things that could be a bit better than minimum wage... you are really good at 'tinkering', maybe try to set up a mobile bike repair business or something. There is crazy high demand for this stuff right now. I was on a group ride last weekend and it seemed like all 10 or so other people were annoyed that no bike shops could take them in for weeks on end for maintenance and they seemed mostly rather :mindblown: that I just fuck with my own shit. Another thing that could be easy is like... small motor repair. You can typically fix an issue with say, a lawnmower for sub $10 in parts and it's easy/quick compared to car stuff. I imagine plenty of people would pay $100 to have someone fix their weedeater or whatever.

The tricky thing is marketing something like this, but it doesn't hurt to throw ads on Facebook marketplace and Craigslist and see if you get any takers.

The CDL thing is also a pretty good idea. There are lots of seasonal/"gig economy" jobs in that world, the demand is high and pay is pretty solid. My brother is a :truk: driver and makes like $80K I think, not anything crazy, but :notbad: either.

I am :notsure: why your wife isn't getting more bites... honestly that LinkedIn is really :impressive: IMO.
I've debated small engine and bicycle repair as a side thing, and it seems like it 100% comes down to who you know and how you get your name out there. Marketing is the biggest thing, and I know that in my immediate area, there's quite a few bike repair people so competition is real.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:42 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:38 am

I've debated small engine and bicycle repair as a side thing, and it seems like it 100% comes down to who you know and how you get your name out there. Marketing is the biggest thing, and I know that in my immediate area, there's quite a few bike repair people so competition is real.
:notwrong: but that is why right now would be the time. Bike shops have record delays in getting things done, people have old shitty bikes they want to ride (start of spring + still COVID)... This time next year COVID will be gone and almost forgotten and there will be much more bike inventory and shop availability. You'd want to start making a name for yourself locally yesterday.

Personally, when you already have a pretty high paying job taking up your time, it would be :butwhy: for you, but would make sense for :mahtroy: but if you genuinely enjoy it, why not? I'd rather just tinker with my own bike/lawnmower/car only and spend the rest of my extra time actually riding/driving.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:36 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:19 am

ALWAYS buy the area over the house. Houses can be changed, the area is a crap shoot. Crappiest house in the nicest area is the goal IMO.
I saw a video where this real estate investor paid $4M for a dilapidated fixer in a really nice neighborhood. He invested $2M to fix up the fixer and build a second house on the back lot (divided it evenly) and then now he has two $6M properties.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:05 pm I'm that person who simply cannot show up to work every day, regardless of the job. It's probably some kind of anxiety thing. At 10-20 hrs a week I'm about the best employee you can get for <6 figures, but ask for more and within a couple of months I'm fired. I'm made for the "gig economy" - most people just assume I'm lazy and maybe I am but it's been like that for 30 years.

Bike work is definitely on my list of things to try, either at home or maybe in a local shop. If they're that busy then they should be down to have an extra mechanic a couple of days a week to whom they don't have to pay benefits.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:50 am
D Griff wrote:

Bike work is definitely on my list of things to try, either at home or maybe in a local shop. If they're that busy then they should be down to have an extra mechanic a couple of days a week to whom they don't have to pay benefits.
:notbad:

IMO you would likely be top tier out of the gate, some of the work I've had done at shops has been pretty :wtf: