Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:59 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:36 am Maybe I’ll rip apart the freehub on my cross bike today and clean / re grease it.
I didn't know that was a thing...

I've noticed a clicking sound from the rear of mine for a bit...only when I'm riding, it won't do it without weight on it. I'm wondering if my freehub needs some love.
It’s sticky. When I stop pedaling at high speed the top of the chain goes slack. Indicates the free hub isn’t spinning easily for some reason. Could be the chain isn’t adequately lubed though.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:10 am

I've noticed a clicking sound from the rear of mine for a bit...only when I'm riding, it won't do it without weight on it. I'm wondering if my freehub needs some love.
It’s sticky. When I stop pedaling at high speed the top of the chain goes slack. Indicates the free hub isn’t spinning easily for some reason. Could be the chain isn’t adequately lubed though.

I had a similar issue and found a sticky link. Lubed chain and it went away. I should probably also clean it like, eventually.

Knocked down 10 miles yesterday, down 6 lbs
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Drives: Abominable

I may throw the LBS some dolla dolla bills.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:23 am

Is it when you're coasting? :pftch:
:iswydt:

It actually sounds like there's something lightly tapping the spokes. It's weird.

I need to start with thoroughly cleaning and lubing the drivetrain. That might be all it is.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:31 am

It actually sounds like there's something lightly tapping the spokes. It's weird.

I need to start with thoroughly cleaning and lubing the drivetrain. That might be all it is.
It's probably the hub bearings themselves needing cleaning.
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:17 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:10 am

I had a similar issue and found a sticky link. Lubed chain and it went away. I should probably also clean it like, eventually.

Knocked down 10 miles yesterday, down 6 lbs
Yeah I need to clean it anyway so I’ll do that and re line chain and see where that gets me.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:23 am I may throw the LBS some dolla dolla bills.
For :wat: ?
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:36 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:31 am

Aren't hub bearing sealed?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:47 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:36 am

“Sealed” is a loose term when you’re talking about mountain bikes that plow through mud and stream crossings.
Johnny_P

“My hub makes a rapid clicking sound when I stop pedaling”
“Try pedaling more”

:popcorn:
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:41 am
Apex wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:23 am I may throw the LBS some dolla dolla bills.
Brakes that aren’t :poop:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:48 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:47 am
“Sealed” is a loose term when you’re talking about mountain bikes that plow through mud and stream crossings.
This is my gravel bike that never goes offroad...I'll give it a cleaning.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:51 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:41 am

Brakes that aren’t :poop:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:49 am

“My hub makes a rapid clicking sound when I stop pedaling”
“Try pedaling more”

:notwrong:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:56 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:48 am

Also Shimano hub seals are... not very good. Shimano uses loose ball bearings. Cartridge bearings fare a bit better.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:57 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:56 am
Also Shimano hub seals are... not very good. Shimano uses loose ball bearings. Cartridge bearings fare a bit better.
I honestly don't even know what hubs are on it. It's a cheap Scattante Performance Bike house brand bike with mediocre stuff on it.

Rides really well though, eats up miles no problem.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:02 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:57 am

Well, ackhtually...

Their lower end hubs are terrible. Upper end (XT, Dura-Ace) are quite good.

Problem is, Shimano uses cup and cone bearings on all of their wheels which regardless of spec are great until they aren't. The better wheels just last longer and seal better. And they're very finicky to repack and re-tension. I fucking HATE tensioning hub bearings.

I prefer wheels with sealed cartridge bearings for that reason alone. The performance difference is minor for a lot better ease of maintenance.
I dunno I don’t find tightening cup and cone to be too bad. Takes some patience. Cleaning that shit though is for the birds. I’ve rebuilt low end Shimano hubs so many times and it’s always a pain in the ass to clean and re pack.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:02 pm Well, ackhtually...

Their lower end hubs are terrible. Upper end (XT, Dura-Ace) are quite good.

Problem is, Shimano uses cup and cone bearings on all of their wheels which regardless of spec are great until they aren't. The better wheels just last longer and seal better. And they're very finicky to repack and re-tension. I fucking HATE tensioning hub bearings.

I prefer wheels with sealed cartridge bearings for that reason alone. The performance difference is minor for a lot better ease of maintenance.
I dunno I don’t find tightening cup and cone to be too bad. Takes some patience. Cleaning that shit though is for the birds. I’ve rebuilt low end Shimano hubs so many times and it’s always a pain in the ass to clean and re pack.
Yeah I did one of mine and it was fine besides having to order the skinny wrenches to do it. Need different wrenches for the front too :butwhy:

My cheapo bottom of the line shimano bearings really aren't sealed at all.
Johnny_P

Mother fucking rear tire had 2 psi in it again :fshitup:

Soapy water test :moist: couldn't even find the issue. Pumped to 40 psi while I cleaned the bike. Was down to 30 when I was done cleaning. I might just say to hell with tubeless shit. This is fucking retarded.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:12 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:07 pm

I always get them just ever so slightly too tight, or ever so slightly too loose. :rage:
Oh yeah there’s some back and forth. Then you have it :muah: and clamp it in the frame and it won’t turn because the QR put more tension on it :lolol:
troyguitar

Finally got it physically set up, still need to figure out the electronics and then actually ride the damn thing. It took me an hour of digging around to find a USA-shaped AC cord to plug the damn thing in, it runs on 110-240 but only came with a UK cord. Baby steps.

Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:10 pm Finally got it physically set up, still need to figure out the electronics and then actually ride the damn thing. It took me an hour of digging around to find a USA-shaped AC cord to plug the damn thing in, it runs on 110-240 but only came with a UK cord. Baby steps.

:impressive: even deleted the rear disc for more aerodynamic gains.
Johnny_P

Rear tire is holding now so I don’t know what to believe anymore.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:10 pm Finally got it physically set up, still need to figure out the electronics and then actually ride the damn thing. It took me an hour of digging around to find a USA-shaped AC cord to plug the damn thing in, it runs on 110-240 but only came with a UK cord. Baby steps.

:impressive: even deleted the rear disc for more aerodynamic gains.
Imagegasm:

More like I was too cheap/lazy to buy and install a disc. Don't need it on the trainer anyway.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:51 pm

:nice:

All this ‘Rona has me wanting to try Zwift.
Peloton not hitting the gains hard enough? :lol: