Soviet EV and taco chronicles + future ponderings about Fendie

Strut your greasy stuff!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:46 pm
Tar wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:41 pm

Cars that old are for poors, and Japanese cars look their age because their paint doesn't typically hold up to the sun. My mom's TL (which used to be mine (2004) has little cracks in the clear coat of the entire front end. Holding up like a🏆mechanically :doe:

Now that your lady's car has new brakes and a shiny finish she may make you keep if for another year or two :lol:
This car will never be sold… it’s going to go to her dad to add/replace his 2001 Tacoma with 260k miles
OMG I want to be like that some day. That crew must be rich AF
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tar wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:49 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:46 pm

This car will never be sold… it’s going to go to her dad to add/replace his 2001 Tacoma with 260k miles
Nah, fixed income crew. And just no fucks given about cars … ironically he has been super good about maintenance since I came around. He tries to keep all fluids changed and in check
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

Mileage-wise we're the same, ~124k right now on our car but it's a 2014 that has lived in the Frozen North until last year so everything underneath is rusted to hell. So it's newer but in worse shape? I could see keeping a car a lot longer living out West, assuming that you maintain the paint.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:51 pm
Tar wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:49 pm

Nah, fixed income crew. And just no fucks given about cars … ironically he has been super good about maintenance since I came around. He tries to keep all fluids changed and in check
First generation lyfe, I get it b/c my parents are kind of same.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Valkyrie wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:55 pm Mileage-wise we're the same, ~124k right now on our car but it's a 2014 that has lived in the Frozen North until last year so everything underneath is rusted to hell. So it's newer but in worse shape? I could see keeping a car a lot longer living out West, assuming that you maintain the paint.
A garaged car out west will last forever.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:03 pm Image

Washed and waxed since it now gets parked inside again like god intended
:jimp:
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

I drove the Silver Bullet to work today and I definitely DO NOT feel like a poor. Car drives like new and looks better than most of the shit on the streets. I will note the exciting upgrades over my 2006 in a separate post, but they are substantial. I offed the 2006 to my ex brother in law a couple of days ago. A full Sachs suspension refresh is only $472 @ FCP Euro (weirdly the non sport refresh is priced some $200 higher), that will be happening in December. The previous Soviet regime included a new set of rear brake rotors, those will be going on at the same time. Over the next several months reliability/problem spot fixes will include new motor mounts, coil packs and a new battery. After that, we'll see what breaks.

I redid the BMW poo machine to full ceramic glory this weekend, and after the PDR guy comes tomorrow to hit a few spots on the Bala De Plata, it will be next.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:58 pm I drove the Silver Bullet to work today and I definitely DO NOT feel like a poor. Car drives like new and looks better than most of the shit on the streets. I will note the exciting upgrades over my 2006 in a separate post, but they are substantial. I offed the 2006 to my ex brother in law a couple of days ago. A full Sachs suspension refresh is only $472 @ FCP Euro (weirdly the non sport refresh is priced some $200 higher), that will be happening in December. The previous Soviet regime included a new set of rear brake rotors, those will be going on at the same time. Over the next several months reliability/problem spot fixes will include new motor mounts, coil packs and a new battery. After that, we'll see what breaks.

I redid the BMW poo machine to full ceramic glory this weekend, and after the PDR guy comes tomorrow to hit a few spots on the Bala De Plata, it will be next.
Are the motor mounts bad ? The thing idled like glass. The coil packs on that engine are a super easy DIY if you wanted to have it be bulletproof. The entire air intake comes off in 2 min and you have all 6 coils just sitting there.
Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:51 am
max225 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:03 pm Image

Washed and waxed since it now gets parked inside again like god intended
:jimp:
Maximillian has definitely laid the hands of a healer on that thing over the last several years.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:00 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:58 pm I drove the Silver Bullet to work today and I definitely DO NOT feel like a poor. Car drives like new and looks better than most of the shit on the streets. I will note the exciting upgrades over my 2006 in a separate post, but they are substantial. I offed the 2006 to my ex brother in law a couple of days ago. A full Sachs suspension refresh is only $472 @ FCP Euro (weirdly the non sport refresh is priced some $200 higher), that will be happening in December. The previous Soviet regime included a new set of rear brake rotors, those will be going on at the same time. Over the next several months reliability/problem spot fixes will include new motor mounts, coil packs and a new battery. After that, we'll see what breaks.

Are the motor mounts bad ? The thing idled like glass. The coil packs on that engine are a super easy DIY if you wanted to have it be bulletproof. The entire air intake comes off in 2 min and you have all 6 coils just sitting there.
Agreed on the coil packs. My ex bro in law who grabbed the 2006 has a shop in San Diego (he writes car repair manuals for mechanics) and his experience is that motor mounts is just something you should do on MBZs. When they go south it can be flatbed time. He will take care of it for me for a nice dinner and some brewskis which I would do anyway.
max225

So the kicker 10" hideaway sub just came in as well as kicker speakers to replace those in the doors... this was my BF purchase. More updates thoon...

I was somehow hoping that the sub would be a bit bigger... it's :notbad: but it is pretty small/compact. So it "could" be mounted under a seat but I was hoping to mount it behind the rear seat in a storage pocket.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:17 pm So the kicker 10" hideaway sub just came in as well as kicker speakers to replace those in the doors... this was my BF purchase. More updates thoon...

I was somehow hoping that the sub would be a bit bigger... it's :notbad: but it is pretty small/compact. So it "could" be mounted under a seat but I was hoping to mount it behind the rear seat in a storage pocket.
I assume this is for the Taco trip replace the JBL stuff?

Missing :dat: HK Logic 7 :mahman:
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:01 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:17 pm So the kicker 10" hideaway sub just came in as well as kicker speakers to replace those in the doors... this was my BF purchase. More updates thoon...

Missing:dat: HK Logic 7 :mahman:
Tacoma doesn't have JBL. It's got some of the worst speakers on the planet... I replaced the tweeters already and it was a huge improvement... Now I am going for the front door speakers + hideaway sub. It is the :scrooge: and relatively plug and play way of going about it.
ChrisoftheNorth

:popcorn:

I picked up some Infinity Reference 6x9's for half off on Crutchfield for the 4R doors. No sub (don't feel like dealing with all that wiring crap), but will be interesting to compare notes!
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:03 pm

I picked up some Infinity Reference 6x9's for half off on Crutchfield for the 4R doors. No sub (don't feel like dealing with all that wiring crap), but will be interesting to compare notes!
The kicker solution is super simple... it would tie into a front door speaker so there is no extra wiring/amp/line output converters etc. Supposed to be a good all in one solution... I was dreading the wiring the most...
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:08 pm
ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:03 pm

The kicker solution is super simple... it would tie into a front door speaker so there is no extra wiring/amp/line output converters etc. Supposed to be a good all in one solution... I was dreading the wiring the most...
Where does the sub mount? Under the passenger seat? Still have to run wires to the door speakers somehow, which is :disgust: IMO. Unless you can tie into the wiring harness in the kick panel? I HATE pulling wire through the door accordions
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:03 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:01 pm

Missing:dat: HK Logic 7 :mahman:
Tacoma doesn't have JBL. It's got some of the worst speakers on the planet... I replaced the tweeters already and it was a huge improvement... Now I am going for the front door speakers + hideaway sub. It is the :scrooge: and relatively plug and play way of going about it.
Oh sweet. I heard the JBL isn't very good anyways. Leaving the rear door speakers?
ChrisoftheNorth

Also, where does power come from?
max225

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:10 pm Also, where does power come from?
singular small power wire provided by the sub to the front battery. I am going to have the front door panels off anyways for the speaker install. So I'll be doing the whole thing in one shot.

A regular sub install would require
Wiring from speaker input to LOC
LOC wiring to amp
AMP + Giant gauge wiring
Separate wiring from amp to Sub
+ Amp turn on wire to a 12V

This is just 1 wire to battery + 1 stereo wire to sub/amp combo... + 1 ground. Amp is going behind driver or passenger rear seat. haven't decided yet based on space.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:10 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:03 pm
Oh sweet. I heard the JBL isn't very good anyways. Leaving the rear door speakers?
Apparently they provide nearly 0 sound according to the forum... I tried to move the F/R back and even at 100% back and 80% volume they are barely audible... they are useless.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:17 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:10 pm

Apparently they provide nearly 0 sound according to the forum... I tried to move the F/R back and even at 100% back and 80% volume they are barely audible... they are useless.
Oh that's interesting.
ChrisoftheNorth

Rear speakers are generally worthless anyway. Who listens to music from behind anyway? :whocares:
max225

The kicker 6x9s are massive they weigh almost as much as the 10” sub…. :impressive:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:26 pm Rear speakers are generally worthless anyway. Who listens to music from behind anyway? :whocares:
In my car my head is closer to the rear door speakers then the front, and they're also larger. Given Max's giant stature I thought the first might be true for him as well.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:34 pm
ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:26 pm Rear speakers are generally worthless anyway. Who listens to music from behind anyway? :whocares:
In my car my head is closer to the rear door speakers then the front, and they're also larger. Given Max's giant stature I thought the first might be true for him as well.
Yea in the taco they are in footwells of the rear seats … near impossible to hear.