Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:32 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:31 pm

I wouldn't buy a 1st year Ford but yeah that looks pretty great. IFS and solid rear on a short wheelbase removable rear shell and :manuel: /2.3T combo would be pretty friggin rad. Shoot for 4Runner buyers.
:dat:
I think if there's an SUV that could pull it off, outside the Wrongler, it's this.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

4 Runner big success limited investment
Wrongler HUGE success major investment
Bronco... TBD seems like the only new model fraud is working on, they see the giant market opportunity

I feel like it may go the way of fj cruiser... it'll come out right when cars will decrease...
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:50 pm 4 Runner big success limited investment
Bronco... TBD seems like the only new model fraud is working on, they see the giant market opportunity

I feel like it may go the way of fj cruiser... it'll come out right when cars will decrease...
I have no idea what Fraud is up to, I dumped that stock so long ago because that company lacked any foresight under their current leadership.

Stopping production of small cars was a good call though. Pointless sales.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:53 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:50 pm 4 Runner big success limited investment

I have no idea what Fraud is up to, I dumped that stock so long ago because that company lacked any foresight under their current leadership.

Pointless cars because they were not competitive. The focus needed major capex, as did the fiesta and mondeo/fusion etc.. They cut it to just make their balance sheet look good short term. I don't see what these guys are doing period, long term plan is autonamous + electric, but I haven't seen anything from them.. they look to be just setting money on fire with that.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:56 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:53 pm

Pointless cars because they were not competitive. The focus needed major capex, as did the fiesta and mondeo/fusion etc.. They cut it to just make their balance sheet look good short term. I don't see what these guys are doing period, long term plan is autonamous + electric, but I haven't seen anything from them.. they look to be just setting money on fire with that.
Well they could make more money on SUVs and they were hardly breaking even on cars... Would have taken huge capital to gain only a little bit vs gaining more by updating their SUV lineup. Exploder is new, Escape is new, Ecosport :gag: is newish, new Bronco and new baby Bronco coming.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:07 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:56 pm

Well they could make more money on SUVs and they were hardly breaking even on cars... Would have taken huge capital to gain only a little bit vs gaining more by updating their SUV lineup. Exploder is new, Escape is new, Ecosport :gag: is newish, new Bronco and new baby Bronco coming.
I feel like their lineup is the worst in modern history. The "new" shit is barely an update from old. The lincolns are getting a bit better :doe: fraud is just terribad.
Every single product is half assed and a 5-decade old.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:10 pm

I feel like their lineup is the worst in modern history. The "new" shit is barely an update from old. The lincolns are getting a bit better :doe: fraud is just terribad.
it almost seems like the only changes that happened to Explorer's and Excapes for the past 7-8 years is the face lift. Other than switching to a 10 speed, theres really not much that hasn't changed.
Chebby on other hand is marginally better, the new blazer is :notsure: as it looks like another crossover.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Ehhhh the new Explorer is completely new. It's on a new RWD platform, outside and inside completely new, etc. They spent serious bucks on that thing.

Then the Aviator is 100% different (other than basic platform and powertrains) from the Explorer. Major money spent there as well. I bet all-in, they spent $5B on the entire Explorer and Aviator programs.

Too bad Ford can't produce them...

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ ... 292795001/

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ ... 830654002/

:thisisfine:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:41 pm

Ehhhh the new Explorer is completely new. It's on a new RWD platform, outside and inside completely new, etc. They spent serious bucks on that thing.

Then the Aviator is 100% different (other than basic platform and powertrains) from the Explorer. Major money spent there as well. I bet all-in, they spent $5B on the entire Explorer and Aviator programs.

2020 Explorer is all new ? :wat:
It looks like they stuffed their other corp motors into it and threw on the ugliest vertical ipad thing into the dash.

The chassis/dimensions seem the same. So this looks more like a midcycle refresh than anything.

I suppose it is somewhat comparable with the Wrongler redesign... but this seems smaller somehow..
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

:wat: :wat: :wat:
:wat: :mindblown: :wat:
:wat: :wat: :wat:

I also saw an Explorer ST the other day, possible sport replacement?
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:52 pm

It looks like they stuffed their other corp motors into it and threw on the ugliest vertical ipad thing into the dash.

The chassis/dimensions seem the same. So this looks more like a midcycle refresh than anything.

I suppose it is somewhat comparable with the Wrongler redesign... but this seems smaller somehow..
I think also the same for f10 5 series to g30.
max225

400hp ST model seems :neat: but there is no way in hell it reach those EPA MPG figures...
18/24 with AWD and 400hp and 5000lbs... NO FKING way.
max225

:wtf: we're at the second highest recorded gas prices ever. At this level in 2008 people were paying 5k over sticker for a prius... today... :aintcare:
Last edited by max225 on Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:56 pm 400hp ST model seems :neat: but there is no way in hell it reach those EPA MPG figures...
my dad's 2016 Explorer Sport is 360 hp, with the same engine, but 6 speed. So this has a substantial improvement with most likely it's 10 speed trans. I borrowed it once for a business trip from DC to Orlando to keep the miles off the yarii, and it reached probably 22 at best, and that's behind a semi for doing around 80.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:08 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:56 pm 400hp ST model seems :neat: but there is no way in hell it reach those EPA MPG figures...
my dad's 2016 Explorer Sport is 360 hp, with the same engine, but 6 speed. So this has a substantial improvement with most likely it's 10 speed trans. I borrowed it once for a business trip from DC to Orlando to keep the miles off the yarii, and it reached probably 22 at best, and that's behind a semi for doing around 80.
There is only so low you can keep the gears. I am sure the 6 speed was already capable of that. The 10 speed will offer no MPG improvement in the real world imo.

I averaged 21-21.5 in a MUSTANG that is 1/2 of the explorer and that powertrain.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:13 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:08 pm

There is only so low you can keep the gears. I am sure the 6 speed was already capable of that. The 10 speed will offer no MPG improvement in the real world imo.

I averaged 21-21.5 in a MUSTANG that is 1/2 of the explorer and that powertrain.
actually i'm :wrong: on powertrain differences. Explorer Sport uses 3.5 v6 TT, the ST uses 4.0 TT. Also for the outgoing gen, 3.5TT also used for :waxer: platinum model.

Also check what C&D said :derp:
2020 Ford Explorer ST

VEHICLE TYPE
front-engine, all-wheel-drive, 6-passenger, 4-door hatchback

PRICE AS TESTED
$62,020 (base price: $55,835)
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:17 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:13 pm

actually i'm :wrong: on powertrain differences. Explorer Sport uses 3.5 v6 TT, the ST uses 4.0 TT. Also for the outgoing gen, 3.5TT also used for :waxer: platinum model.

Also check what C&D said :derp:
2020 Ford Explorer ST

VEHICLE TYPE
front-engine, all-wheel-drive, 6-passenger, 4-door hatchback

PRICE AS TESTED
$62,020 (base price: $55,835)
It’s actually a 3.0T smaller displacement than prior and more boosta
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

$62k for a Ford Explorer...jeebus. Makes me feel a lot better about spending $34.4k on the Atlas.
max225

coogles wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:53 pm $62k for a Ford Explorer...jeebus. Makes me feel a lot better about spending $34.4k on the Atlas.
62k is nuts .... why not raptor at that point
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:08 pm
coogles wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:53 pm $62k for a Ford Explorer...jeebus. Makes me feel a lot better about spending $34.4k on the Atlas.
Because trucks are stupid.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Apex wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:21 pm

:mahman:

ut the 'sploder is also kinda stupid.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:52 pm

Yeah man, FWD to RWD and everything.
max225

So is the engine longitudinal now vs transverse? I wonder who the target demo is on the explorer. This vs the Telluride would be a tough comparo since the explorer looks to have moved way up market in terms of pricing.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:33 pm So is the engine longitudinal now vs transverse? I wonder who the target demo is on the explorer. This vs the Telluride would be a tough comparo since the explorer looks to have moved way up market in terms of pricing.
looks like it, and it's actually :notbad:
https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ ... 480821001/

Based on what coggles said on his test drive on telluride, it drives like a big car and a super non communicative light steering. Explorer steering actually does have some weight to it and fine to maneuver with one hand :mahtroy: style, drives like a midsize sedan.
max225

Apex wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:21 pm

:truk: are gods answer to all of our transportation needs.