Pinshitting Glamper

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

:neat:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

in for fotos of glamper
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:36 am First camping trip this coming weekend, pretty excited. Worked on it a bit this weekend, and didn't take any pictures as we rushed to close it up before rain yesterday...

Got the battery installed and tested out the 12v system, works great so far.

Water system is operational! Had to replace the fill tube to the storage tank as the old one was pretty cracked, but that was NBD. Entire system was completely empty, which was a great sign. Filled it up, flicked on the water pump, and it built great water pressure pretty quickly. :fuckyeah:

Then lit the pilot on the water heater to see if that thing worked, and sure enough we've got working hot water too. Will be fantastic for doing dishes, we're really excited.

:tits: also did some :pinshit: inside. It's looking really nice for the minimal money and effort we've put into it so far. Now we're just going to start using it and see what else we want to change. Got plenty of trips already lined up to try it out.
:excited: :popcorn:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

dubshow wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:34 pm in for fotos of glamper
:dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Post up some pics. I do think campers like this make way more sense than RTT's and all that dickery associated with that. But obviously :wrong:

:impressive:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:19 pm
max225 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 1:46 pm Post up some pics. I do think campers like this make way more sense than RTT's and all that dickery associated with that. But obviously :wrong:

I'd rather a small trailer of sorts, teardrop style.

I want a dry space to sleep, that's my one requirement. Sleeping on the ground blows.
Tent has no noise or temp insulation. No water nothing and it takes a bit to set up, its dirty etc. I haven't camped since I was a teen. Fk that.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 1:46 pm Post up some pics. I do think campers like this make way more sense than RTT's and all that dickery associated with that. But obviously :wrong:

I'll post pics when we get it setup this weekend for sure.

For us, this thing makes WAY more sense than an RTT because of the type of camping we do. We like to setup a "base camp" for a few days at a time and go off on adventures from there. With an RTT, we'd have to tear down camp every day then re-set up that night. No thanks.

If truly doing overlanding (which very few do), RTT makes sense since you're just crashing somewhere along the trail for the night. I wouldn't pull our camper when off-roading.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

I want a dry space to sleep, that's my one requirement. Sleeping on the ground blows.
We set out to buy a teardrop, but they're just so stupid expensive. Once I realized I could buy a popup for a fraction of the price that's better in every single way, I was sold.

Things a popup does that a teardrop doesn't:

Can stand up comfortably in it
Propane for:
Furnace
Hot Water
Fridge
Running water system
Can sleep 4 comfortably, 8 in a pinch

And it's still relatively light and easy to tow, though the teardrop wins here.

AND they're a bit dorky looking both closed and poped up, so I won't be getting many hits on instabook or whatever, but I don't care about that.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:35 pm
max225 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:24 pm

Tent has no noise or temp insulation. No water nothing and it takes a bit to set up, its dirty etc. I haven't camped since I was a teen. Fk that.
The water bit isn't a big deal as a dude. Bring a water container, and relieve yourself in the woods.

Showering can be done with a solar shower or sanitary wipes. If you're in the wilderness, :whocares:
Right, it's not a big deal...but man hot water will be so nice for doing dishes and cleaning up. Ours has an outside shower, which you don't really use as a stand-up shower, but to rinse off your legs/feet, or a dirty :doge: it'll be REALLY nice.

Same goes for the furnace. Necessary? Not really...can just bundle up. But sleeping in a tent when it's so cold that you feel your nose might fall off just isn't very fun either.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:39 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:35 pm

The water bit isn't a big deal as a dude. Bring a water container, and relieve yourself in the woods.

Showering can be done with a solar shower or sanitary wipes. If you're in the wilderness, :whocares:
Right, it's not a big deal...but man hot water will be so nice for doing dishes and cleaning up. Ours has an outside shower, which you don't really use as a stand-up shower, but to rinse off your legs/feet, or a dirty :doge: it'll be REALLY nice.

Same goes for the furnace. Necessary? Not really...can just bundle up. But sleeping in a tent when it's so cold that you feel your nose might fall off just isn't very fun either.
Bring a tarp or something to put under the shower so you aren’t just making mud as you rinse off your legs/feet and defeating the purpose.
SAWCE

Don’t think I’ve ever showered while camping. If there’s a lake/river, we just splash around in there to clean up. If there isn’t, fuck it, you aren’t by civilization, so who cares what you smell or look like.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:42 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:39 pm

Bring a tarp or something to put under the shower so you aren’t just making mud as you rinse off your legs/feet and defeating the purpose.
We've got a shower mat!
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:44 pm Don’t think I’ve ever showered while camping. If there’s a lake/river, we just splash around in there to clean up. If there isn’t, fuck it, you aren’t by civilization, so who cares what you smell or look like.
Yea, this is how we are too. But sometimes being able to rinse off even just your feet feels nice.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:05 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:44 pm Don’t think I’ve ever showered while camping. If there’s a lake/river, we just splash around in there to clean up. If there isn’t, fuck it, you aren’t by civilization, so who cares what you smell or look like.
Yea, this is how we are too. But sometimes being able to rinse off even just your feet feels nice.
:word: I can see that, especially if you’re in an area with really fine sand/dust that gets into your shoes and socks
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:32 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:05 pm
:word: I can see that, especially if you’re in an area with really fine sand/dust that gets into your shoes and socks
We often hike and/or stay near/on sand. There's also a good chance of mud in many areas...That stuff gets in through shoes/socks and feels REALLY good to be washed off.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

My tent was fine in 30 degree weather over my trip. Surprisingly warm inside because it fully cuts out the wind if you put up the rain fly. A roll up ground pad mattress type thing, and a 20 degree bag, I had it unzipped most nights.

I brought a fold up water jug with me on the plane. Filled it first night. 5 gallons lasted me a few days, good for drinking, coffee, cooking, dishes, toothbrushes, and cleaning up.
https://www.rei.com/product/896269/gsi- ... ube-53-gal

Setting it up can be annoying if you're doing it every night. Took maybe 15 minutes to set up by myself. Took longer to break it down in the morning if you care about not getting everything dirty as hell. Wasn't too big of a deal but I do see the value in a easy flip open/closed roof top tent. No ground condensation or dirt to worry about when packing it up.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:56 pm

My tent was fine in 30 degree weather over my trip. Surprisingly warm inside because it fully cuts out the wind if you put up the rain fly. A roll up ground pad mattress type thing, and a 20 degree bag, I had it unzipped most nights.

I brought a fold up water jug with me on the plane. Filled it first night. 5 gallons lasted me a few days, good for drinking, coffee, cooking, dishes, toothbrushes, and cleaning up.

Setting it up can be annoying if you're doing it every night. Took maybe 15 minutes to set up by myself. Took longer to break it down in the morning if you care about not getting everything dirty as hell. Wasn't too big of a deal but I do see the value in a easy flip open/closed roof top tent. No ground condensation or dirt to worry about when packing it up.
My biggest issue with tents in the cold is my nose/face getting super cold...even in the 30's. I probably should have bought a face mask for cold camping, but whatever.

Once you get the hang of a certain tent, it's really not bad to setup and take down. The biggest issue is ground condensation/water/dirt when packing up. We use a tarp underneath our tent to avoid this, but that doesn't really help if backpacking.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:42 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:56 pm

My biggest issue with tents in the cold is my nose/face getting super cold...even in the 30's. I probably should have bought a face mask for cold camping, but whatever.

Once you get the hang of a certain tent, it's really not bad to setup and take down. The biggest issue is ground condensation/water/dirt when packing up. We use a tarp underneath our tent to avoid this, but that doesn't really help if backpacking.
Yeah I had a tarp. Which helped immensely because that can get gross and you just keep it in a separate baggie.

I slept with a beanie on and rolled it down over my eyes. But I sleep hot as is.

No denying a camper is more comfortable though. The pop up is nice because it’s a manageable size to tow everywhere yet opens up to a full manhattan sized apartment.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:58 am
Detroit wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:42 am

Yeah I had a tarp. Which helped immensely because that can get gross and you just keep it in a separate baggie.

I slept with a beanie on and rolled it down over my eyes. But I sleep hot as is.

No denying a camper is more comfortable though. The pop up is nice because it’s a manageable size to tow everywhere yet opens up to a full manhattan sized apartment.
I sleep hot too. But for some reason, my nose/face are really suseptable to getting super cold and uncomfortable. There's been times where I'll have a leg hanging out of the sleeping bag, with my face burried inside. Weird.

And I'm still amazed by how big the pop up is inside. Easily a full manhattan apartment. :lolol:
Johnny_P

:popcorn:
ChrisoftheNorth

For the glamper's maiden voyage (with us), we went to a state park 2.5 hours from our house, about 40 minutes north of Grand Rapids. The state park has a lake (they call it a pond for some reason) that was the result of damming the Muskegon river, and there's no houses or anything on it. It's the middle of nowhere, and I loved it.

My phone died, so I didn't take any photos myself. Wife did, but there aren't many...

Arrival...it's pretty grungy looking outside, we're going to start an exterior restoration soon. Sand blasting and repainting rusty parts, replacing decals, etc. My new :ramz: look dirty because something happened with the hub and it let some grease go. I need to dig into that...

Setup...The awning bag needs to be cleaned badly, didn't notice this until the awning was up. Also missing some poles to the awning, which I'll need to work on replacing.

Inside...

The galley is awesome. Stove works great for making coffee in the AM, also cooked veggies on it for dinner. Hot and cold water work great and are game changing for doing dishes. The seals in the cartridges in the faucet seemed to have dried out and leak a bit when turning the water on...an improved glamper faucet will be installed soon.

Front bed (about king size)...

Rear bed (full almost queen size)...

It rained a lot of Saturday, so we spent time inside...us and our 2 friends that came along. The seating inside is fantastic...a couch type thing in front of the front bed, and the dinette seating in front of the rear. We played cards, but :drunk: and had a blast. Overall, the glamper did excellent. Completely different experience from tent camping, but still has the fun part of tent camping (big windows, etc), and we're already excited about the next trip in a few weeks.

Here's the pond/lake that was a short hike from our site...

Apex
Drives: Abominable

5/7 trip there Detroit! Glad to see the glamper working out well for you guys.
Johnny_P

Sweet. Glad you're enjoying it! Cleaning it up shouldn't be a big deal, I'd just bleach clean the awning holder because they all get moldy stained after some use. Looks like it's in really good shape overall.

Man that's bringing back memories. Ours was so similar, I think a hair smaller. Heat and hot water must be really nice. That's the only thing ours didn't have aside from a bathroom, but who wants to take a shit in their own tent anyway. Plus all state parks and most BLM / National Forest campgrounds have toilets and many have showers.

Kind of a pain if you're only spending one night, but for multiple nights it makes one hell of a base camp!
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:57 pm Sweet. Glad you're enjoying it! Cleaning it up shouldn't be a big deal, I'd just bleach clean the awning holder because they all get moldy stained after some use. Looks like it's in really good shape overall.

Man that's bringing back memories. Ours was so similar, I think a hair smaller. Heat and hot water must be really nice. That's the only thing ours didn't have aside from a bathroom, but who wants to take a shit in their own tent anyway. Plus all state parks and most BLM / National Forest campgrounds have toilets and many have showers.

Kind of a pain if you're only spending one night, but for multiple nights it makes one hell of a base camp!
Hot water is incredible for dishes and general cleaning up. It got a bit cold on Saturday night, so I reached over and flicked on the furnace thermostat and we were comfy in no time. Those two features are incredible.

We specifically looked for a camper that didn't have a toilet or AC. Toilets are absurd to me in this sort of camper, and AC only works on 120V, which we'll never connect to.

We only camp in rustic areas to avoid the chance to kids ruining our experience. Vault toilets are good enough to :poop: in for me, that or I dig a hole and squat ZFG.

I've set it up and taken it down so much that I can do it in under 20 minutes now. Faster than our tent was. Legit 5/7.

Ours is in great shape, really just needs cleaning and more use.
Desertbreh

Outstanding. It makes me want to consider such an item.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.