Palatial Airboat Envy: Get Rich or Bankruptcy Tryin'

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:57 am Man, you are just Huey P. Long with this nasty bitch.
:impressive: reference.

I just dont want mobsters to come mow me down in my palace.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Updates:

-reno is on hold. Once the dust settled, I've learned that I cant count a penny of "equity" difference from my purchase price and the appraisal. I must wait 7 months/6 payments made before that equity is tangible.

-I will be coming out of pocket a good bit more, than expected, up front to put us at the note range we want and in a conventional mrtg. This is the only stretch I felt okay with taking.

-I was against taking a HELOC out on my current house to apply to renovations of new one. Too much debt liability swinging around. Im not going to hang myself with house debt. There is also a penalty of $850 for closing a heloc in under 1 year.

New game plan. Just move into the damn thing. Have a scramble weekend to spruce up the new house. Its totally livable. I have 6 months of fixing/diy before the next appraisal. That is the time to really get it polished. After that I should have $60k equity position and take out a $50k HELOC and spend it on the bathroom/bedroom renovation, flooring and windows.

First New house DIY Order: ~$3k
1. Install gate to keep :doge: in. $2k
2. new waterheater $500
3. Pressure wash/yard work - free
4. Paint $500

Second Order on current :haus:

1. Fix drainage in back yard.
2. MAYBE pour smaller patio? unsure. Not much real value.
3. not reslope entire yard but level parts and overseed with grass.
4. Pressure wash
5. Touch up paint interior parts.
6. ceiling down cleaning/scrubbing tile/grout.
7. sail it in prime time april/may.
8. have it sold before my first new house payment is due in May.

So there you go. The plan has been altered. Much less :troywax:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Rates are looking like 4.625% I can buy that down to a 4.5% for $1300. It would take 6.66 years to recoup the difference at ~$17/mo.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:33 am Holy shit, that attic space. Man, SO MUCH SPACE FOR ACTIVITIES!
Lol.
You could do something interesting up there if you wanted. That shit's massive. I'd love that kind of storage space.
Yeah, I was thinking about it but am unsure exactly how to utilize it. I think the joist are 2x10 on 14". Im not very sure what loading that can take without doing some real :math:

1 access is in hallway another is near backdoor. Id have to cut a new on in. I think a really cool option would be to lose a closet and have a very tight stair to access attic. The house has the AC capacity to cool another space.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

dubshow wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:30 am
Acid666 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:33 am Holy shit, that attic space. Man, SO MUCH SPACE FOR ACTIVITIES!
Lol.
You could do something interesting up there if you wanted. That shit's massive. I'd love that kind of storage space.
Yeah, I was thinking about it but am unsure exactly how to utilize it. I think the joist are 2x10 on 14". Im not very sure what loading that can take without doing some real :math:

1 access is in hallway another is near backdoor. Id have to cut a new on in. I think a really cool option would be to lose a closet and have a very tight stair to access attic. The house has the AC capacity to cool another space.
A friend of mine in Houston is about to close in some attic space like that. He's building and doesn't want it to be built into the house so he doesn't get taxed on the extra floor space so he's just going to drywall and duct it himself. More as a side room for something, not a main living area or spare bedroom or anything. Kind of a mancave thing.

4.5% isn't horrible. I'm at 4.25% and I got my house 5 years ago. From what friends tell me, that bubble where they were down into the 2-3% range isn't gonna happen for a good while. I don't follow the real estate market tho, so I'm only going off of what I know.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

dubshow wrote:Rates are looking like 4.625% I can buy that down to a 4.5% for $1300. It would take 6.66 years to recoup the difference at ~$17/mo.
How does that compare to throwing $1300 more down on the 4.625% loan itself?
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:32 am
dubshow wrote:Rates are looking like 4.625% I can buy that down to a 4.5% for $1300. It would take 6.66 years to recoup the difference at ~$17/mo.
How does that compare to throwing $1300 more down on the 4.625% loan itself?
:dat:

Put that 1,300 toward the principle on your first payment. You'll be surprised how much interest you save. :math:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

I'm :notsure: which way is better, but it's worth doing that comparison. You have essentially 4 options:

Pay $1300 for lower interest rate

Pay $1300 extra down at higher rate

Put $1300 into bitcoin

Buy :ramz:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

dubshow wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:25 am Updates:

-reno is on hold. Once the dust settled, I've learned that I cant count a penny of "equity" difference from my purchase price and the appraisal. I must wait 7 months/6 payments made before that equity is tangible.

-I will be coming out of pocket a good bit more, than expected, up front to put us at the note range we want and in a conventional mrtg. This is the only stretch I felt okay with taking.

-I was against taking a HELOC out on my current house to apply to renovations of new one. Too much debt liability swinging around. Im not going to hang myself with house debt. There is also a penalty of $850 for closing a heloc in under 1 year.

New game plan. Just move into the damn thing. Have a scramble weekend to spruce up the new house. Its totally livable. I have 6 months of fixing/diy before the next appraisal. That is the time to really get it polished. After that I should have $60k equity position and take out a $50k HELOC and spend it on the bathroom/bedroom renovation, flooring and windows.

First New house DIY Order: ~$3k
1. Install gate to keep :doge: in. $2k
2. new waterheater $500
3. Pressure wash/yard work - free
4. Paint $500

Second Order on current :haus:

1. Fix drainage in back yard.
2. MAYBE pour smaller patio? unsure. Not much real value.
3. not reslope entire yard but level parts and overseed with grass.
4. Pressure wash
5. Touch up paint interior parts.
6. ceiling down cleaning/scrubbing tile/grout.
7. sail it in prime time april/may.
8. have it sold before my first new house payment is due in May.

So there you go. The plan has been altered. Much less :troywax:
dang. :(

RE: bolded.

dude, don't waste your time..... no one cares and neither did you till like 6 months ago. let it be next persons problem. A puddle here and there will not make or break :haus: purchase decision for people / :bread:
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:37 am I'm :notsure: which way is better, but it's worth doing that comparison. You have essentially 4 options:

Put $1300 into bitcoin

:notbad:

I wouldn't put the money down, rather pay it after the mortgage to cut interest. We pay an extra $100/mo on our mortgage and in the 5 months we've had it, we've already saved $1,500 in interest (over 30 years). Paying more principle early on a mortgage pays dividends since all the interest is up front.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:40 am
troyguitar wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:37 am I'm :notsure: which way is better, but it's worth doing that comparison. You have essentially 4 options:

Put $1300 into bitcoin

:notbad:

I wouldn't put the money down, rather pay it after the mortgage to cut interest. We pay an extra $100/mo on our mortgage and in the 5 months we've had it, we've already saved $1,500 in interest (over 30 years). Paying more principle early on a mortgage pays dividends since all the interest is up front.
:dat:
troyguitar

:wat:

How are those 2 ideas different?

Take out loan on $X, immediately pay principle down $1300, pay interest on $(X - 1300) for the life of loan

Take out loan on $(X - 1300), pay interest on $(X - 1300) for the life of the loan

:notsure:

The first option would have a tiny bit more interest accrued during that first month, but otherwise be the same from months 2 through 360 unless I'm missing something. Putting money down IS "paying down the principle" - isn't it?
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:03 pm :wat:

How are those 2 ideas different?

Take out loan on $X, immediately pay principle down $1300, pay interest on $(X - 1300) for the life of loan

Take out loan on $(X - 1300), pay interest on $(X - 1300) for the life of the loan

:notsure:

The first option would have a tiny bit more interest accrued during that first month, but otherwise be the same from months 2 through 360 unless I'm missing something. Putting money down IS "paying down the principle" - isn't it?
I suck at :math:

The only thing you "save" by putting money down after the fact is time...you'll pay the mortgage off slightly faster.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Holy hell. Clear to close next week. :amaze:

The agent ain't even removed house from market.... So less than 2 weeks to make offer and buy a house.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

dubshow wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:11 pm Holy hell. Clear to close next week. :amaze:

The agent ain't even removed house from market.... So less than 2 weeks to make offer and buy a house.
:impressive:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

dubshow wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:11 pm Holy hell. Clear to close next week. :amaze:

:wat:
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Yeah. I don't know what or how. Underwrote loan on a Friday. Pretty much ready to close by Wednesday this coming week.

I guess we will move the Crawfish boil to new house and have a double welcome boil party.
ChrisoftheNorth

Wow, that was really fast. :notbad:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:07 am Wow, that was really fast. :notbad:
The fact I had all my tax and pay things ready to roll combined with the ability to digitally sign everything from my phone, this process has really been :impressive:

It's almost too easy to get that much cash. Also is my 4th rodeo. :iono:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

dubshow wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:32 pm
The fact I had all my tax and pay things ready to roll combined with the ability to digitally sign everything from my phone, this process has really been :impressive:

Awesome.

YOU NEED TO SELL YOUR HOUSE ASAP NOW
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:17 am

Awesome.

YOU NEED TO SELL YOUR HOUSE ASAP NOW
Yes, close and move out stuff will happen quickly. We've already started the tear down of current :haus: got crew on board to come clean and scrub everything.
ChrisoftheNorth

So you're not using the funds from the sail of your current house and down on the new?

That was the hang up on our last move. We had potential clear to close within a week, but the real deal wouldn't happen until we had the funds in our account from the sale of our prior house since we were using part as a down payment.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:50 am

So you're not using the funds from the sail of your current house and down on the new?

That was the hang up on our last move. We had potential clear to close within a week, but the real deal wouldn't happen until we had the funds in our account from the sale of our prior house since we were using part as a down payment.
No, no time to wait on funds moving. Our current house isnt even listed yet. On paper I will own 2 at the time time.

full disclosure Im having the amount I am short gifted and will repay that "gift" post sail of current house.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:02 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:50 am

No, no time to wait on funds moving. Our current house isnt even listed yet. On paper I will own 2 at the time time.

full disclosure Im having the amount I am short gifted and will repay that "gift" post sail of current house.
Bold move.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:07 am
dubshow wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:02 am

Bold move.
yeah. hence name of this :bread:

its a risk swing and the house of cards can potential fall after May. April will be really really busy.