Shade Tree poverty mechanics unite, tell us your one off repair stories.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Dbest wrote:I did an oil change at home once and the oil splattered all over out of the drain pan... that kinda sucked
Done that.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote:
Dbest wrote:I did an oil change at home once and the oil splattered all over out of the drain pan... that kinda sucked
One of the last oil changes I did, the wind blew the oil stream onto the driveway instead of into the drainpan. :|
And that.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

4zilch wrote:I once changed a water pump, and in my haste I forgot to drain the coolant before removing the pump :lolol:
And that!!
ChrisoftheNorth

Damn, I suck.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Detroit wrote:Damn, I suck.
:lolol:

I have a fail ratio of about 1:10

I'd beat :neek; on post count if I listed all the jobs I did 90% correctly or above.

Even big ones, like the Miata clutch. 100% perfect.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Forgot to install the oil filter after I changed the oil...I didn't realize it until I started the car. Fun Fact: You lose a substantial amount of oil in a very short period of time.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

[user not found] wrote:
Melon wrote::lolol:

So I'm not alone in this.
The wife doesn't do it to that extent - hers will at least show a few miles left.

But her cell phone battery habits man. Those are bad.
:dat: Mine is good about gas for the most part, but will run her phone to 10% while there an electricity souce all around her, and proper cabling, and then hop in the car and be like 'you have a charger for my phone in here?" NO GOD DAMMIT
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
[user not found] wrote: The wife doesn't do it to that extent - hers will at least show a few miles left.

But her cell phone battery habits man. Those are bad.
:dat: Mine is good about gas for the most part, but will run her phone to 10% while there an electricity souce all around her, and proper cabling, and then hop in the car and be like 'you have a charger for my phone in here?" NO GOD DAMMIT
:dat:

Jessi doesn't understand plugging in the phone @ night concept.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Weird if it's one thing womenzz in my past were always good about the phones. Dead phone = she getting a train run :mahtroy: style
max225

[user not found] wrote:
maxtdi wrote:Weird if it's one thing womenzz in my past were always good about the phones. Dead phone = she getting a train run :mahtroy: style
Dead phone = casting couch gone wrong?

:notsure:
:dedong: :dedong: :dedong:
:dedong:
ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote:
[user not found] wrote:
Dead phone = casting couch gone wrong?

:notsure:
:dedong: :dedong: :dedong:
:impressive:
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Built 4Runner & Pontiac Vibe

I finally thought of a good one. I almost learned the hard way, it was one hell of a close call.

This was fresh out of high school a few months into tech school. I was doing front brakes for my buddy on his 04 Monte Carlo. We were in my driveway, trans in park car lifted at the front left with the wheel off. Being in the Midwest the caliper bolts didn't want to come loose. So I'm all up in the wheel pulling like hell on the ratchet. It was in park but the parking brake was not on, it allowed the car to shift just the slightest little bit and it was enough to make the spare tire jack fold up like pretzel, no jack stand either so the car came crashing down with no wheel on. The rotor landed on the driveway and my foot was pinned to the ground by the front bumper. I got super lucky in the sense that I couldn't get my foot out but it wasn't enough force to actually cause me any physical harm.

Lesson learned, real jack, ALWAYS use jack stands, and apply the e-brake before jacking up a car.

It was blessing in disguise though, from that point forward safety glasses when it seems like a good idea, ear protection when it's loud, padded glove while using impacts to dampen the hits, find more leverage instead of twisting all stupid trying to force something etc. At least I can say I learn from mistakes.
www.aguyagirlandatrail.com
instagram.com/aguyagirlandatrail
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Melon wrote:
Dbest wrote:
Have you tried hitting her?
That's generally frowned upon.
:butwhy: :wtf: :rolleyes:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Dbest wrote:I finally thought of a good one. I almost learned the hard way, it was one hell of a close call.

This was fresh out of high school a few months into tech school. I was doing front brakes for my buddy on his 04 Monte Carlo. We were in my driveway, trans in park car lifted at the front left with the wheel off. Being in the Midwest the caliper bolts didn't want to come loose. So I'm all up in the wheel pulling like hell on the ratchet. It was in park but the parking brake was not on, it allowed the car to shift just the slightest little bit and it was enough to make the spare tire jack fold up like pretzel, no jack stand either so the car came crashing down with no wheel on. The rotor landed on the driveway and my foot was pinned to the ground by the front bumper. I got super lucky in the sense that I couldn't get my foot out but it wasn't enough force to actually cause me any physical harm.

Lesson learned, real jack, ALWAYS use jack stands, and apply the e-brake before jacking up a car.

It was blessing in disguise though, from that point forward safety glasses when it seems like a good idea, ear protection when it's loud, padded glove while using impacts to dampen the hits, find more leverage instead of twisting all stupid trying to force something etc. At least I can say I learn from mistakes.
:dat: 5/7 on the gloves portion. Unless I'm holding a small bolt or screw or I'm finding a thread I always wear gloves while working now.
max225

Dbest wrote:I finally thought of a good one. I almost learned the hard way, it was one hell of a close call.

:impressive:
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Tarspin wrote:

:dat: 5/7 on the gloves portion. Unless I'm holding a small bolt or screw or I'm finding a thread I always wear gloves while working now.
I always wear nitrile gloves while working on stuff for cleanliness to a point but mainly because I'm a bit OCD when it comes to cleans hands, I wouldn't get in a customers car without gloves because I don't want their germs. Nobody washes their steering wheel or shifter, fuck that.

But seeing all o the older guys with joint and arthritis problems from years of doing this shit I have a pair of gloves similar to this that I use whenever I was using an impact gun or air harmer. All that vibration over the years adds up and causes nerve and muscular issues in hands. http://www.galeton.com/vibrastop-anti-v ... oCltfw_wcB
ChrisoftheNorth

I wish I could find gloves that fit my hands. They're all too small.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Dbest wrote:
Tarspin wrote: :dat: 5/7 on the gloves portion. Unless I'm holding a small bolt or screw or I'm finding a thread I always wear gloves while working now.
I always wear nitrile gloves while working on stuff for cleanliness to a point but mainly because I'm a bit OCD when it comes to cleans hands, I wouldn't get in a customers car without gloves because I don't want their germs. Nobody washes their steering wheel or shifter, fuck that.

But seeing all o the older guys with joint and arthritis problems from years of doing this shit I have a pair of gloves similar to this that I use whenever I was using an impact gun or air harmer. All that vibration over the years adds up and causes nerve and muscular issues in hands. http://www.galeton.com/vibrastop-anti-v ... oCltfw_wcB
Good point is good about the impact wrenches. I guess I don't use impact guns enough, it's all torque/boxed/ratchet/etc wrenches... hand power. When those things or parts slip the Kevlar comes in handy.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:I wish I could find gloves that fit my hands. They're all too small.

I always try to wear gloves when working on shit, otherwise I tear the fuck out of my hands. For someone who's never had a :manuel: labor job, my hands are fucking full of scars.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

i wear gloves until i start having to turn a 10mm wcrew or nut by hand... then it gets frustrating.
i broke my right thumb in 8th grade and it gets fatigued rather quickly. 80 percent of the time I'm in a place where I cant use my dominant left hand.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

I wear nitrile gloves. Less concerned about impact guns and knicks/cuts and more concerned about keeping my hands clean.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

4zilch wrote:I wear nitrile gloves. Less concerned about impact guns and knicks/cuts and more concerned about keeping my hands clean.
:dat:

I get ridiculed for my glove usage. NFG
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Also, I can grip things 10x better than with sweaty dick beaters.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

I wear nitrile gloves while doing regular stuff like oil changes, but throw on the padded/kevlar mechanix gloves when it gets into heavier work such as suspension. If I'm going to be muscling bolts out/working with heavier parts I like the protection.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote:
Detroit wrote:I wish I could find gloves that fit my hands. They're all too small.

I always try to wear gloves when working on shit, otherwise I tear the fuck out of my hands. For someone who's never had a :manuel: labor job, my hands are fucking full of scars.
:dat: :(