Gberg's Covid Placitis?

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.

But what should I do? :crang:

Do nothing and hold out for a "fun" car like a 987 Gayman S, ND2 Miata, etc.
43%
Try for RS3
14%
Tesla Model 3 Performance
No votes
Something else I'm forgetting?
14%
Toaster
29%

Total votes: 7
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:11 am Man, the Ford hate around here is funny. Has anyone actually owned one and had a bad experience? My Taurus ran to 250 K miles with like zero issues. I personally know a lot of people with some pretty shitty old Fords that all work quite well.
My dad's Fusion has been essentially perfect. Titanium trim with the 2.0 Ecoboom, 170k miles, nothing but Jiffy Lube maintenance and literally the only thing he's ever had to do other than Jiffy Lube oil changes, tires, and brakes, was replace the head unit. That admittedly wasn't cheap, but it's been rock solid.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:03 am
D Griff wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:11 am Man, the Ford hate around here is funny. Has anyone actually owned one and had a bad experience? My Taurus ran to 250 K miles with like zero issues. I personally know a lot of people with some pretty shitty old Fords that all work quite well.
My dad's Fusion has been essentially perfect. Titanium trim with the 2.0 Ecoboom, 170k miles, nothing but Jiffy Lube maintenance and literally the only thing he's ever had to do other than Jiffy Lube oil changes, tires, and brakes, was replace the head unit. That admittedly wasn't cheap, but it's been rock solid.
I forgot that my wife also had a fusion, we sold it to get the jeep with 150 K miles, she got it at 20 K. One water pump was the only unexpected repair. Other than that just oil changes by me and her dad, I think I changed the transmission fluid once.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:26 am
coogles wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:03 am

I forgot that my wife also had a fusion, we sold it to get the jeep with 150 K miles, she got it at 20 K. One water pump was the only unexpected repair. Other than that just oil changes by me and her dad, I think I changed the transmission fluid once.
You're both talking about the older, more durable Ford models. Everyone was :triggered: by shitty interiors and whatnot, but when Ford got fancy, they got shitty. The Powershit transmission has been a disaster, their tech is rather buggy/half assed, overall I would think hard before buying a modern Ford.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Love the comparisons of ancient fords to a brand new ev that they have never made before.

Great Grandpas model T was excellent as well and it ran on used cooking oil
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Remember when Tesla made the “ugly” EV? Now they’re the only ones that look alright.

I don’t know why manufacturers want to make their EVs stand out by being ugly. The only other one that’s not ugly is the Volvo.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Gberg2119 wrote:Remember when Tesla made the “ugly” EV? Now they’re the only ones that look alright.

I don’t know why manufacturers want to make their EVs stand out by being ugly. The only other one that’s not ugly is the Volvo.
:notsure:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

RS3 likely out, at least at this :dillerman:

They only get one or two allocations and would want a 10% non refundable deposit. So roughly $6k. I can’t commit to that. :(
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:27 pm RS3 likely out, at least at this :dillerman:

They only get one or two allocations and would want a 10% non refundable deposit. So roughly $6k. I can’t commit to that. :(
Are they selling at sticker ? What’s the issue with deposits ?
max225

coogles wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:52 pm
Gberg2119 wrote:Remember when Tesla made the “ugly” EV? Now they’re the only ones that look alright.

:notsure:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea it’s :notbad: most EVs are butt ugly jelly beans. Mach E is certainly not the worst. I think the Bolt EUV is the the absolute worst.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:03 pm Love the comparisons of ancient fords to a brand new ev that they have never made before.

:iono: we owned the aforementioned Fusion just last year… my BIL has like 180k miles on a 2015 Mustang GT that has been perfect. I could go on. I just don’t really understand the blind hatred of Ford here, would be curious to know the “why “.
max225

D Griff wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:56 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:03 pm Love the comparisons of ancient fords to a brand new ev that they have never made before.

:iono: we owned the aforementioned Fusion just last year… my BIL has like 180k miles on a 2015 Mustang GT that has been perfect. I could go on. I just don’t really understand the blind hatred of Ford here, would be curious to know the “why “.
You gotta remember I had crown Vic that went 410k miles on original engine and trans beating y’all in this “Ford is great” contest.

There is no blind hate, but it’s an undeniable fact that the Mach E is the first EV Ford has made. It means you’re a beta tester essentially.

Tesla popped transmissions constantly in their roadster
Model S had horrendous motor issues and a few others from 12-13.
BMW I3 had major battery degradation issues in the first few years
First gen Nissan Leaf is now a paperweight because the battery is shit and it only goes 30 miles on a charge
Bolt is under recall because it burns the house down.

It’s not Ford specific, it’s every oem that has issues when launching a brand new thing.

Tesla for ex has most major issues worked out. Ford is a big question mark.

There is some hate against Ford for their recent fuck ups like the Explorer launch, the bronco launch and all the top fiascos etc etc. it’s well deserved imo.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:27 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:27 pm RS3 likely out, at least at this :dillerman:

It sounded like sticker but they still don’t have any info on it yet. I’m assuming order guides should be out soon but since they’ve got nothing it’s pretty much put a deposit down and hope the car comes in at a reasonable time.

Still :notsure: if I’m ready to give up :manuel:
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:40 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:27 pm

It sounded like sticker but they still don’t have any info on it yet. I’m assuming order guides should be out soon but since they’ve got nothing it’s pretty much put a deposit down and hope the car comes in at a reasonable time.

Well if it’s at sticker then I don’t think you can go wrong. RS cars hold their value the best and are the best most desirable Audi vehicles. But you gotta make up your mind of course
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:44 am
Ask JP about the CMax.
Or the Focus
Or the Ranger
Johnny_P

Why 4 door requirement? Don't y'all have a Rav4 for road trips / HD mulch / dirty watermelon runs?

What's the goal with this car, just to have a fun vehicle? How often do you currently take the GoRf out for just a drive, being that you only have a 3 mile commute anymore? Will you take this potential car out for more fun hauls?

If you don't necessarily want to do fun all day drives, then a Model 3 will be fast as shit for freeway blasts, easy to live with for commuting, and cost little to operate. With a 3 mile typical drive... I'd have a hard time signing up for anything with a DI motor.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:31 pm Why 4 door requirement? Don't y'all have a Rav4 for road trips / HD mulch / dirty watermelon runs?

What's the goal with this car, just to have a fun vehicle? How often do you currently take the GoRf out for just a drive, being that you only have a 3 mile commute anymore? Will you take this potential car out for more fun hauls?

If you don't necessarily want to do fun all day drives, then a Model 3 will be fast as shit for freeway blasts, easy to live with for commuting, and cost little to operate. With a 3 mile typical drive... I'd have a hard time signing up for anything with a DI motor.
Good questions for sure, the biggest thing is figuring out what you want to accomplish.

IIRC when he got GoRf2 I tried to talk him into a Cayman or something and he needed four doors.

I have really put my 328i through the paces in the past week (I’ll post more about all this in my thread soon), track days and Tail of the Dragon runs. I can honestly say it is a great chassis and way faster on track than it should be. I haven’t driven an F80 but if the lowly 4 cylinder performs this well, I think the M3 would be pretty damn sweet.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

:iono: I think it's completely fine to be SATISFIED with a good thing if you have it. Why not invest in a hobby otherwise? It seems there is no NEED to change the car (impending doom, lemon, no warranty, unreliable, etc.) so why not just look into something else and put your time $ in that?

I am no longer a fan of creating an emergency in my mind just to justify a purchase of ANY kind.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

razr390 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:02 pm :iono: I think it's completely fine to be SATISFIED with a good thing if you have it. Why not invest in a hobby otherwise? It seems there is no NEED to change the car (impending doom, lemon, no warranty, unreliable, etc.) so why not just look into something else and put your time $ in that?

I am no longer a fan of creating an emergency in my mind just to justify a purchase of ANY kind.
One can not create an emergency purchase now. Any decent car at sticker is 4-9 months out. That’s as long as spawning a leach of an offspring
Johnny_P

J mean if you’re going to use it or just flat out want it then go for it. I drove my STI on back road blasts pretty often.

If that’s not happening then…

Yeah i would look at a cayman or camaro or something.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:50 am
razr390 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:02 pm :iono: I think it's completely fine to be SATISFIED with a good thing if you have it. Why not invest in a hobby otherwise? It seems there is no NEED to change the car (impending doom, lemon, no warranty, unreliable, etc.) so why not just look into something else and put your time $ in that?

One can not create an emergency purchase now. Any decent car at sticker is 4-9 months out. That’s as long as spawning a leach of an offspring
My point here is within Gberg’s circumstances I think he is creating an emergency. He has no reason to off the R other than the thoughts of other options out there which will, like you said, have a long delay from order to arrival + market fuckery that dealers are getting away with due to shortage.

Meanwhile Gberg has a non-lemon MK7.5 R in a :manuel: (his preference) with like 4 more years of bumper to bumper warranty and no reliability quirks unlike his previous MK7 r that had to get replaced.

All in all, if Gberg has money burning a hole in his pocket, my advice altogether is invest in a trip (such as Las Vegas track days driving other fun cars), a hobby that costs some time + money to start up, etc.

It’s not the empathetic answer but it’s the most realistic answer.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Desertbreh

Thanks Dr. Phil
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:56 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:40 pm

Well if it’s at sticker then I don’t think you can go wrong. RS cars hold their value the best and are the best most desirable Audi vehicles. But you gotta make up your mind of course
Yep. The only way to defeat the COVID bandit is to off your car at a crazy price and then secure a super rare vehicle at MSRP.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I don’t see how he is creating an emergency, it’s not like he sold the R and now is scrambling to find some thing. He thinks he might want a new car after quite a few years in the same exact thing, if cars are what he’s interested in why should he try to find a new hobby that he may or may not care about? I would advise most people right now of purchasing a used car for more than new MSRP but other than that, who cares? He seems to be a pretty conservative dude :plac: -wise, I don’t think he’s going to do anything stupid.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:31 pm Why 4 door requirement? Don't y'all have a Rav4 for road trips / HD mulch / dirty watermelon runs?

The 4 door requirement is really for the eventual :baby: which is why I stuck with an R for the second go around. Of course that hasn't happened yet but I don't want to be forced to :plac: if I don't have to so the flexibility would be nice to drive either car.

Sadly I haven't driven the R for fun in a long while. The only times I really can are if I'm by myself on the weekends.

One small bonus about a Model 3 is that there's already a charger at my in-laws shore place. So driving 90+ miles each way on summer weekends would cost almost nothing. But then again, it's not a big deal to take either gas car. It's just a "nice to have".
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:58 am

The 4 door requirement is really for the eventual :baby: which is why I stuck with an R for the second go around. Of course that hasn't happened yet but I don't want to be forced to :plac: if I don't have to so the flexibility would be nice to drive either car.

Sadly I haven't driven the R for fun in a long while. The only times I really can are if I'm by myself on the weekends.

One small bonus about a Model 3 is that there's already a charger at my in-laws shore place. So driving 90+ miles each way on summer weekends would cost almost nothing. But then again, it's not a big deal to take either gas car. It's just a "nice to have".
I’m curious to understand why you think charging an ev costs “almost nothing”?