Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

16 year old car with 100k+ miles and clutch is a wear item. Probably ready for replacement breh.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:35 pm 16 year old car with 100k+ miles and clutch is a wear item. Probably ready for replacement breh.
True. I'm not mad at the car at all. I mean, I've been tracking it several times annually for a couple of years. It's just that... the apartment life makes it tougher. I made my own choices.

But the list is getting longer :sad: :
-clutch/slave/master cylinder
-diff problem
-damn oil pressure sensor/gauge shows at 120 PSI when I just installed a new OEM one after the Advance one blew up and spilled oil all over
-still has occasional misfired I've never been able to find
-AC condenser deal
-probably should replace the harmonic balancer at some point

Then there's the wants:
-seats
-radiator
-headers/tune
-possibly brakes at some point

I think I'm pretty committed to it and will just rock it and slowly knock all this stuff out, but I need to accept that it needs some love / :troywax:

I truly miss dailying it and think that :plac: the BMW for a BMW/convertible for Allison and taking the proceeds of her Fusion to put into the :poorvette: would be a :notbad: way to go. I hate the BMW stigma/image/reactions.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: C5 Z06

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:49 pm My clutch has gotten pretty bad. If I get on it at all, it get's all sticky and weird.

I guess the Ranger method isn't cutting it anymore. I'm going to do the bitchin' bleeding procedure and hopefully that will solve it. Been reading up on this and it looks like you have to have the transmission opened up to replace the slave cylinder :disgust: ... Hopefully this doesn't turn into a huge "while I'm in there" project that there's no way I can do at the apartment. I just need the car to work with relatively easy repairs for 20ish more months until we're out of this apartment.

remote bleeders ftw! thanks :mahtroy:

Just helped a buddy do his clutch in his c6z...FWIW it's an absolute pain in the ass. Dropping the whole rear end+ torque tube isn't the easiest. We did it on quick jack and was still a bit of a struggle . Idunno your setup, but doing the job in an aprtment complex on jack stand would be tough. Not saying it's impossible, but it will be a bit harder.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:My clutch has gotten pretty bad. If I get on it at all, it get's all sticky and weird.

I guess the Ranger method isn't cutting it anymore. I'm going to do the bitchin' bleeding procedure and hopefully that will solve it. Been reading up on this and it looks like you have to have the transmission opened up to replace the slave cylinder :disgust: ... Hopefully this doesn't turn into a huge "while I'm in there" project that there's no way I can do at the apartment. I just need the car to work with relatively easy repairs for 20ish more months until we're out of this apartment.
Where's the place to move in 20 months? Charlotte is still pretty high on our list of potential locations if we can ever get jobs there.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Bring that bitch to airboat-ville. We got a complicated Wild-E-Coyote setup of levers and ACME pulleys tied to a spiderweb of cables and cases of Pabst for counterweights and can get that bitch out in 45 minutes.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:32 pm
D Griff wrote:My clutch has gotten pretty bad. If I get on it at all, it get's all sticky and weird.

Where's the place to move in 20 months? Charlotte is still pretty high on our list of potential locations if we can ever get jobs there.
Somewhere in Charlotte where we can afford a house with a garage. I’d say the chance we move anywhere else is less than 20%. I would love to go to CA but doubt I could get a high enough paying job.
Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:28 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:32 pm Where's the place to move in 20 months? Charlotte is still pretty high on our list of potential locations if we can ever get jobs there.
Somewhere in Charlotte where we can afford a house with a garage. I’d say the chance we move anywhere else is less than 20%. I would love to go to CA but doubt I could get a high enough paying job.
Discuss
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:51 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:28 pm

Discuss
Epic weather, epic roads, epic :rudy: culture... can't own a decent home in a decent location if you aren't a millionaire. Discussion over. :sad:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:56 am

Discuss
Epic weather, epic roads, epic :rudy: culture... can't own a decent home in a decent location if you aren't a millionaire. Discussion over. :sad:
Pretty much that. Best place in the country which in turn prices most out... NC is probably as good as it gets otherwise.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

If I was single I’d say fuck it and just go and be poor, but 30 and engaged that ship has pretty much sailed.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:55 am If I was single I’d say fuck it and just go and be poor, but 30 and engaged that ship has pretty much sailed.
CA is epic when you're young and single for sure. But it's really not a long-term thing at any time for people that weren't born and raised there into money.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:53 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:35 pm 16 year old car with 100k+ miles and clutch is a wear item. Probably ready for replacement breh.
True. I'm not mad at the car at all. I mean, I've been tracking it several times annually for a couple of years. It's just that... the apartment life makes it tougher. I made my own choices.

-diff problem
-damn oil pressure sensor/gauge shows at 120 PSI when I just installed a new OEM one after the Advance one blew up and spilled oil all over
-AC condenser deal

Then there's the wants:
-seats
-radiator
-headers/tune

I think I'm pretty committed to it and will just rock it and slowly knock all this stuff out, but I need to accept that it needs some love / :troywax:

I truly miss dailying it and think that :plac: the BMW for a BMW/convertible for Allison and taking the proceeds of her Fusion to put into the :poorvette: would be a :notbad: way to go. I hate the BMW stigma/image/reactions.
There's really no point in getting rid of it. It's not worth much, and anything you replace it with wouldn't live up to the performance or brubs for the price.

These things are pretty easy to work on if you have the space. The clutch does blow without access to a lift, but it's really not THAT complex.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:00 am

-diff problem
-AC condenser deal

Then there's the wants:
-seats
-radiator
-headers/tune

There's really no point in getting rid of it. It's not worth much, and anything you replace it with wouldn't live up to the performance or brubs for the price.

These things are pretty easy to work on if you have the space. The clutch does blow without access to a lift, but it's really not THAT complex.
he could trade plus cash for yours since yours is ready to rock, then you could sell / trade his for your precious :jeep: :jeep: :jeep: :koolaid:
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

-diff problem
-AC condenser deal

Then there's the wants:
-seats
-radiator
-headers/tune

Yeah, I’m ok with just paying someone for that sort of job, just like the diff. If I had a proper space I’d look into it, but it’s just not feasible. I am ok with saving doing all the small stuff on my own. At this point I’ve never taken it to a shop for work other than a race alignment in 56 months of ownershit, so it’s got a good track record (pun intended?).
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:05 am

he could trade plus cash for yours since yours is ready to rock, then you could sell / trade his for your precious :jeep: :jeep: :jeep: :koolaid:
:lolol:

I'm still not convinced that I'm going to part with it. My new commute is on the best condition roads in the area, and it's mostly off the highway, which is great for cruising in this car. Watching values, I'd be lucky to get $15k tops for it and after sinking so much time and money into it, I'm more inclined to keep it than sell it at that price.

Baring some crazy weather changes, I'm planning on getting the car out over Easter weekend and drive it a bit over the next month to see how it goes. If I'm not feeling it, I'll prep it for sail.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:05 am

Yeah, I’m ok with just paying someone for that sort of job, just like the diff. If I had a proper space I’d look into it, but it’s just not feasible. I am ok with saving doing all the small stuff on my own. At this point I’ve never taken it to a shop for work other than a race alignment in 56 months of ownershit, so it’s got a good track record (pun intended?).
You could probably find a vette shop that'll do the clutch and diff at the same time. The torque tube needs to come most of the way out to get the diff out anyway, so the labor is probably the same for both jobs.

TBH, there's not a ton of "while you're in there" work in that job outside of the clutch and diff. Probably worth checking the torque tube couplers...but I checked mine when I had it apart a few years ago and they looked flawless after 55k miles so I bet they're fine since you're at stock power levels.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:09 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:05 am

:lolol:

I'm still not convinced that I'm going to part with it. My new commute is on the best condition roads in the area, and it's mostly off the highway, which is great for cruising in this car. Watching values, I'd be lucky to get $15k tops for it and after sinking so much time and money into it, I'm more inclined to keep it than sell it at that price.

Baring some crazy weather changes, I'm planning on getting the car out over Easter weekend and drive it a bit over the next month to see how it goes. If I'm not feeling it, I'll prep it for sail.
:bravo: good.
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:00 am There's really no point in getting rid of it. It's not worth much, and anything you replace it with wouldn't live up to the performance or brubs for the price.

I paid someone to do the clutch on mine. It's not hard but I didn't have time to :dealwithit: - at my solo labor pace it would have likely been a 24 hour job.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Discuss
Budget budget budget. I'm no :waxer: at all. There's really lots of parts of commifornia that are super cheap to live. Places like bakersfield & nipomo are cheap to live and everything you could every want is only a quick drive away. Don't need a super high paying job to live comfortably. Lots of things are expensive, like gas and food. but, yanno that's the trade of for all the epic-ness. :thanksobama: :thankstrump:
ChrisoftheNorth

Purpc5z wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:42 pm

Budget budget budget. I'm no :waxer: at all. There's really lots of parts of commifornia that are super cheap to live. Places like bakersfield & nipomo are cheap to live and everything you could every want is only a quick drive away. Don't need a super high paying job to live comfortably. Lots of things are expensive, like gas and food. but, yanno that's the trade of for all the epic-ness. :thanksobama: :thankstrump:
I thought a lot about this before I left SoCal...but the job opportunities outside of the major areas are severely lacking. I'd live in Northern California (well above Pay Area) in a second.

Plus, no sane person WANTS to live in Bakersfield bro.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

....except for a job
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:03 pm

....except for a job
Live off dat :millennial: parental teet.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:01 pm

I thought a lot about this before I left SoCal...but the job opportunities outside of the major areas are severely lacking. I'd live in Northern California (well above Pay Area) in a second.

very true. most people live in the smaller surrounding cities and commute to the bigger ones where all the jobs are. I've been doing this for about 3 yesars or so. Norcal is great! Bay area is a lil iffy, but anything above that is super nice.

:bruh: if you live just outside of the city and can deal with the heat, Bakersfield is pretty :notbad: . Famoso drag strip is less than 20mins away and buttonwillow raceway is about 25-30 mins away .Optimal for weekend warriors
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Apex wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:05 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:03 pm

....except for a job
Live off dat :millennial: parental teet.
Been off the :millennial: :tits: for a long time now
troyguitar

Purpc5z wrote:
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:01 pm I thought a lot about this before I left SoCal...but the job opportunities outside of the major areas are severely lacking. I'd live in Northern California (well above Pay Area) in a second.

very true. most people live in the smaller surrounding cities and commute to the bigger ones where all the jobs are. I've been doing this for about 3 yesars or so. Norcal is great! Bay area is a lil iffy, but anything above that is super nice.

:bruh: if you live just outside of the city and can deal with the heat, Bakersfield is pretty :notbad: . Famoso drag strip is less than 20mins away and buttonwillow raceway is about 25-30 mins away .Optimal for weekend warriors
Doesn't it take 2+ hours each way to get from a <$1M house in the pay area to an OK job?