Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:21 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:59 am
When I was explaining the LSD axle to her and why I thought it was neat, she said she was excited to take it wheeling then. She actually really enjoys driving off-road, she's done it a few times in the ZR2. She mentioned I'm not "allowed to drive her baby", so we'll see.

She also mentioned that she wants it lifted at some point with bigger tires. I won't object, but that's down the road.
:excited: to see where these his and hers :jeep: s take you!
She hates driving long distances by herself. I doubt we'll do many trips in both vehicles, but it might be possible now.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:24 am
Apex wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:21 am

:excited: to see where these his and hers :jeep: s take you!
She hates driving long distances by herself. I doubt we'll do many trips in both vehicles, but it might be possible now.
Tow the JLU with the JT. :megusta:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:10 am
razr390 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:06 am
:rolleyes: :yeahok:

Until your build shows up and it’s the shiny new thing in the driveway and she wants to drive it.
No...she claims that my truck will be "too loud" in orange and since it won't have the big screen and fancy stereo (which she's in love with as well), she has no interest in it. She's excited that we'll have "his and her Jeeps".

Fine by me. It could work out great.
You know what I’m worried about ?

The JT rides much less “jeepy” she may steal the JT because it “rides on a cloud”. I noticed a significant difference in the two. Dem Fox shocks
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:25 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:24 am
Tow the JLU with the JT. :megusta:
And then the Glamper on the JLU. A train.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:26 am
No...she claims that my truck will be "too loud" in orange and since it won't have the big screen and fancy stereo (which she's in love with as well), she has no interest in it. She's excited that we'll have "his and her Jeeps".

The JT rides much less “jeepy” she may steal the JT because it “rides on a cloud”. I noticed a significant difference in the two. Dem Fox shocks
I'm not worried about it...this Sahara rides fantastic. I've only ever really ridden/driven Sports and Rubicons until this, and I'm amazed how smooth the Sahara rides. The roads around the :dillerman: are the surface of the moon, and she specifically aimed for horrible patches. She blasted a pothole that had to have been 8" deep and could barely feel it. It's surprisingly good.

I think the Sahara rides quite a bit better than a Rubicon. The shocks are different between the two (even though the JL does get Fox on Rubicon), so the Sahara shocks work great.

I do expect the Gladiator to be better yet, but I'm not sure it'll be noticeably better to her. Especially since it's missing the headliner and fancy audio. She's really into the fancy audio, and admittedly that system sounds fantastic.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Just be cautious about the tires on the Sahara. They are not at all beefy, if she is railing 4x4 tracks with her girls while playing slap the bag with some Franzia and gets stuck in a mud pit due to a blown tire you'll hear about it. The ZR2 will likely handle those high speed situations a lot better just due to the suspension itself.

I liked the Sahara I rented. My issues were the laughable steering and the deafening wind nose, but if this one doesn't have those problems that's great. Congratulations! Hope this one is a keeper!
Johnny_P

I wonder how much of that is due to the Fox shocks vs just changes in rear suspension design to handle more of a bed load.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:54 am Just be cautious about the tires on the Sahara. They are not at all beefy, if she is railing 4x4 tracks with her girls while playing slap the bag with some Franzia and gets stuck in a mud pit due to a blown tire you'll hear about it. The ZR2 will likely handle those high speed situations a lot better just due to the suspension itself.

I liked the Sahara I rented. My issues were the laughable steering and the deafening wind nose, but if this one doesn't have those problems that's great. Congratulations! Hope this one is a keeper!
POTD

Thanks man.

The tires on ours are beefier than the standard mini van tires. They're actually rated AT...I'll take a pic this afternoon. They look like they could take a mild trail, but not much more.

The steering is what it is, but ours isn't that lose IMO...at least no more than any other JL I've driven. The wind noise was fine on our test drive, but I'm curious if she gets tired of it on longer drives. Supposedly, the hard top headliner is supposed to make a big difference with this AND the 2.0T and premium audio comes with noise cancelling, which I've heard helps a lot with wind/road noise while it's trying to hide whining from the engine. It's actually the quietest spec you can get in a JL. We'll see if it's real. I'm really hoping this has staying power.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:56 am

I wonder how much of that is due to the Fox shocks vs just changes in rear suspension design to handle more of a bed load.
I bet the long wheelbase plays a major part of it too. The suspension helps as well.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:54 am Just be cautious about the tires on the Sahara. They are not at all beefy, if she is railing 4x4 tracks with her girls while playing slap the bag with some Franzia and gets stuck in a mud pit due to a blown tire you'll hear about it. The ZR2 will likely handle those high speed situations a lot better just due to the suspension itself.

These are nearly as aggressive as the K02, I don't see an issue.

Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:06 pm

POTD

Thanks man.

The tires on ours are beefier than the standard mini van tires. They're actually rated AT...I'll take a pic this afternoon. They look like they could take a mild trail, but not much more.

The steering is what it is, but ours isn't that lose IMO...at least no more than any other JL I've driven. The wind noise was fine on our test drive, but I'm curious if she gets tired of it on longer drives. Supposedly, the hard top headliner is supposed to make a big difference with this AND the 2.0T and premium audio comes with noise cancelling, which I've heard helps a lot with wind/road noise while it's trying to hide whining from the engine. It's actually the quietest spec you can get in a JL. We'll see if it's real. I'm really hoping this has staying power.
:notbad: yeah I can't remember what the tires were on the one I rented. It had plenty of traction. Just no sidewall protection so I got nervous as hell going off road with it.
max225

POTD

Thanks man.

To be honest the noise wasn't coming from the headliner, it was coming from the windshield A pillar for lack of a better description. But if she didn't hear it that's fine.

My :tits: was "scared of driving the jeep because it kept winging all over the street, and was too big" yours obviously :aintcare: about size as she wants a raised RAM

I gotchu on the tires ;). The uprated stereo on the Jeep is quite nice, as is the 8.4" screen. Should be a great car. I really like it in all white, doesn't get hot in summer, doesn't show pinstriping etc.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:22 pm
POTD

Thanks man.

:notbad: yeah I can't remember what the tires were on the one I rented. It had plenty of traction. Just no sidewall protection so I got nervous as hell going off road with it.
They were a diff spec completely. These are actually quite nice, there is a significant difference between the base tires and the uprated AT's on those with the locker
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:24 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:22 pm

They were a diff spec completely. These are actually quite nice, there is a significant difference between the base tires and the uprated AT's on those with the locker
:notbad:
max225

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/ ... obo.35929/

this is nuts... dude can't sell 5 wheels + tires for $500... these things are such an epic value... ugh now I want a jeep again instead of a mystery mini that will never get here. Thanks Dplac :rage:
ChrisoftheNorth

So the final report on the Volt is pretty decent.

Paid $21k for it almost exactly 3 years ago. Got $14k on trade, so $7k over 36 mos or $195/mo :notbad:

$0 in maintenance other than 2 blown tires ($120 each) and a bent wheel ($80 to straighten).

I did :troywax: $500 on a set of winter wheels and tires that I can hopefully recoup a bit from, but overall...this might have been one of the cheapest new cars I've ever owned.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:20 pm

These are nearly as aggressive as the K02, I don't see an issue.

Yep, thats it exactly. Look pretty decent actually.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:23 pm
POTD

Thanks man.

To be honest the noise wasn't coming from the headliner, it was coming from the windshield A pillar for lack of a better description. But if she didn't hear it that's fine.

My :tits: was "scared of driving the jeep because it kept winging all over the street, and was too big" yours obviously :aintcare: about size as she wants a raised RAM

I gotchu on the tires ;). The uprated stereo on the Jeep is quite nice, as is the 8.4" screen. Should be a great car. I really like it in all white, doesn't get hot in summer, doesn't show pinstriping etc.
Yea, I know what you're talking about re: noise. Engineers here claim the headliner helps...something about damping the plastic or something :iono: We'll see. Really couldn't hear anything that bad (it was there tho) and she had zero complaints with the steering. She actually loves the size. She said it feels taller than the Ram and that's all she seems to care about. Feelings>facts I guess. I'm just glad she chose the Jeep because I really like it too.

The spec is indeed great and the white is just fine. Very functional and as she put it "looks timeless". It really does have a G Wagen look.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:33 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:30 pm
Yep, thats it exactly. Look pretty decent actually.
They'll be fine for the mean streets of Meatchicken, but they're no KO2.

They will be better in the snow than the K02, though.
Yep, for MI streets, winter, and a mild trail (which is most of MI), they'll be just fine.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:25 pm https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/ ... obo.35929/

this is nuts... dude can't sell 5 wheels + tires for $500... these things are such an epic value... ugh now I want a jeep again instead of a mystery mini that will never get here. Thanks Dplac :rage:
They’ll try to fit you in between morning hibachi and brunch hibachi. If not, def between brunch hibachi and lunch hibachi. Maybe early bird dinner hibachi if they’re trying to get those end of the month numbers.

:dillerman: life, you wouldn’t know anything about it breh.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:25 pm https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/ ... obo.35929/

Take-off parts are fantastic deals...this is crazy.

I don't think anyone wants 18's because they're not as off-roady as 17's. Tires are more expensive for the 18's too, but I honestly think they look better. Especially these multi-spoke ones...way better than the standard 5 spokes. That was a $1k upcharge that I didn't mind one bit.
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:37 pm

I don't think anyone wants 18's because they're not as off-roady as 17's. Tires are more expensive for the 18's too, but I honestly think they look better. Especially these multi-spoke ones...way better than the standard 5 spokes. That was a $1k upcharge that I didn't mind one bit.
The standard wheels are actually 18s as well on the Sahara, but those 5 spokes look like $199 for 4 tire shop specials. These I really don't mind at all they look great. If I was to get a Sahara with the base wheels they would HAVE TO GO.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Sweet deal man.

About the headliner: Maybe that does reduce noise. I have them and had them in my JKU and the noise wasn't too bad.

Only problem with the headliners is that after a hot season the double sided tape they use to stick them on will loosen and eventually they will start peeling away and you need to stick them back up.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:39 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:37 pm

The standard wheels are actually 18s as well on the Sahara, but those 5 spokes look like $199 for 4 tire shop specials. These I really don't mind at all they look great. If I was to get a Sahara with the base wheels they would HAVE TO GO.
My dad actually bought base Sahara wheels for his Sport. Take-offs on eBay for $600 shipped :mindblown:

He loves the way they look. I'm :disgust: but it's his Jeep.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Dude, the :tits: commentary in here was absolutely :lolol: , best thing that's happened to me at work today.

Congratulations, sweet :jeep: and :dill: