The Ultimate DD

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:18 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:13 am

So is AZN the husband of this relationship? I thought this was a CA housewife car
:aintcare: I just got a tiny clown car that one of my female Interns drives. I obviously don’t care enough about vehicle stereotypes to completely sway my decision here.

G Wagens are the ultimate DD for me. Or maybe a fullretard Range Rover.... nah still G Wagen.

The other one would possibly be the RR Cullinan, I’d go through McDonald’s drive through with it and park it at Walmart like I do with the m3.
I saw a Velar the other day that looked nothing short of a work of art......
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:26 am
dubshow wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:22 am

I really do like the car. I do. Its great. I take everything I read on car forums with a solid dose of :salt: as well.

BUT, there are some unsettling things emerging as I dip my toe back into places like vwvortex to see what people are doing. I have a pretty long list of mildly modded cars and never had any terrible problems.

I fear the :gorf: is designed near limit. Which makes no sense as the mk6 platform in GTI and R could hold 400hp pretty regularly. I know over 400hp you need head studs, especially if changing the turbo.

Apparently there is a prevalent crank walk issue from any clutch with more spring force on the thrust bearing. Its an issue that has plagued numerous car brands through the years and is a sort of time bomb thing. When you tune, you will upgrade the clutch (and I was coming to peace with that). I was on board with this until I started see more of these issues described. A hack work around is disable the clutch pedal sensor and dont press clutch on cold starts. Maybe I am over thinking it? Maybe its just internet lore. Maybe its an issue that might show up in 30-80k miles down the road? :iono: But my joyful feelings of some light modding has def been soured. reading the mk7 forum on vortex had a solid role in my feels. Also a full bolt on APR guy just windowed his block on a 2018 :gorf: under 30k miles.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread. ... lown-motor

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread. ... 6MT-Ownerz

I have lost the desire to mod based on "rolling the dice" of luck. Also, vortex is one of the last places people arent readily censored by advertisers.
Proof that engineers are dumb asses and the gods at APR truly unleash all of the potential, through additional block air intakes
:notwrong:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

A “light mod” is not a tune, it’s a set of tires or performance brake pads.

A “light tune” is not stage 1 any longer, said it before and I’ll say it again, I don’t care what anyone says but a tune from the factory is one of if not the single biggest expense encountered when making a car.

Oems take groups of cars all around the world from deserts to snowy hells to make sure the vehicle operates as designed. Only to have a turd with a laptop change the boost map in 5 min and claim “hours of painstaking in house testing”.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:21 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:08 am The ultimate is working from home. Next is working next door to home and walking. Failing a situation like that, with no budget or parking or maintenance concerns? BMW M6 V10+6MT I guess, maybe an NSX-T, dunno I'd have to actually drive some of the more exotic things like the NSX/Evora/Ferraris and see how much of a loud PITA they are...
Yeah I mean the point was the budget isn't the main concern within reason BUT something like a V10 M6 would strand you regularly, be in the shop often, etc which still kind of make it a crappy DD? NSX would be pretty damn cool I feel like and maybe reliable/usable enough to work. Hard to say without sampling them. Evora would also be sweet.
It's pretty simple for me. I want great noises, great visibility, short geared 6MT, 5" or so of ground clearance, quick steering, and a pretty small footprint. I could do it relatively affordably in a few different cars with some MODZZZ:

2nd gen MR2 turbro loaded w/ t-tops and Evora/Camry V6 swap, MR2-spyder steering rack and a shorter final drive
NSX-T w/ shorter final drive
LS3 C6 targa w/ 4.8 crank, some top end work for 8k rpm, and... shorter final drive
Poorsche 996 Targa w/ GT3 powertrain with... shorter gears. The GT3 gearbox actually has tons of ratios available from the factory so this could be truly great, giving you short 1-4 and long 5-6.

My :wankel: was 90% of the way there and I fucking sold it because I'm a moran. Some good coilovers to bring the ride height up to that of a normal car would have made it fine to keep around here - and cost no more than the :plac: move to the MKZ. I'm :disappoint: in myself. Research seemed to indicate that the AP1 S2K steering rack probably would fit into an RX8 too with minimal modification, giving me the quick steering that I wanted. I liked that damn car a lot.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:29 am Maybe I am just lucky with my area, because I rate driving fun quite highly, but our roads aren't all that bad compared to the Northeast, Midwest, even Los Angeles.
Louisiana is known for not funding its roads. So dailying on a sporty car can take its toll on your spine and fillings.
There's memes about how bad the roads are and they're pretty accurate.

Once I got to the point in my career where I could afford to have a car dedicated to all teh races on the side, I started to enjoy my daily more. I got the Silverado from a friend for $3K because I needed a truck for the house. The GTI was parked because I needed to change the thermostat so it just sat in the garage until I got time to get to it. I thought I'd be anxious to get back into my sporty GTI, but I actually enjoyed just getting in the truck and not feeling the need to want to use all its handling and acceleration. The truck was a nice breath of fresh air. And since it was cheap, I didn't care about the body or scratches. The AC works and it's got tons of space. My perception of what I want for a daily changed once I didn't have to have a daily that doubled as an autocross car. I leaned more towards the "cheap side car for go fast parts" in my mid 30s.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Acid666 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:43 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:29 am Maybe I am just lucky with my area, because I rate driving fun quite highly, but our roads aren't all that bad compared to the Northeast, Midwest, even Los Angeles.
Louisiana is known for not funding its roads. So dailying on a sporty car can take its toll on your spine and fillings.
There's memes about how bad the roads are and they're pretty accurate.

Once I got to the point in my career where I could afford to have a car dedicated to all teh races on the side, I started to enjoy my daily more. I got the Silverado from a friend for $3K because I needed a truck for the house. The GTI was parked because I needed to change the thermostat so it just sat in the garage until I got time to get to it. I thought I'd be anxious to get back into my sporty GTI, but I actually enjoyed just getting in the truck and not feeling the need to want to use all its handling and acceleration. The truck was a nice breath of fresh air. And since it was cheap, I didn't care about the body or scratches. The AC works and it's got tons of space. My perception of what I want for a daily changed once I didn't have to have a daily that doubled as an autocross car. I leaned more towards the "cheap side car for go fast parts" in my mid 30s.
There is definitely something to be said for an :aintcare: daily. I am so damn OCD/neat freak, I always want everything looking perfect, with zero dash lights on/issues, etc. If my plan to sell the BMW works out and I don't daily the C5, I think a sub $10K hatch that I don't care about all that much will be the ticket.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Great thread.

Hmmm, maybe an S5. Comfy, luxurious, competent highway cruiser, utilitarian with the hatch, looks good. Yes, I know the RS5 exists but I feel it might be too high strung for me.

Also, this would be badass if it were available here:

I'd also happily DD a :manuel: 981 Cayman non-S. It's got all the power I could reasonably use on my commute and can easily get out of it's own way.

If money were truly no object it would be hard to go wrong with one of these:

But honestly, my :turboyaris: is really a great DD for me. Great seats, comfy ride yet stiff enough, reasonably fast, enough tech for me (BT, etc), great utility, looks good IMO. I'll be glad to see it go when I finally get rid of it. If that makes me :gay: then so be it.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Volvo XC60
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:06 am Great thread.

Hmmm, maybe an S5. Comfy, luxurious, competent highway cruiser, utilitarian with the hatch, looks good. Yes, I know the RS5 exists but I feel it might be too high strung for me.

I'd also happily DD a :manuel: 981 Cayman non-S. It's got all the power I could reasonably use on my commute and can easily get out of it's own way.

But honestly, my :turboyaris: is really a great DD for me. Great seats, comfy ride yet stiff enough, reasonably fast, enough tech for me (BT, etc), great utility, looks good IMO. I'll be glad to see it go when I finally get rid of it. If that makes me :gay: then so be it.
All good candidates for sure.

And you're :notwrong: , there is a reason most here bought :turboyaris: , they are one of the better DDs out there for most people who enjoy cars.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I’d honestly be ballsy and say for a DD sports carif budget weren’t an issue it’d be a GT3

Realistic DD: Golf R or RS3 (I wouldn’t tuna or mod these other than maybe lower + wheels since you mentioned we’d have a weekend car.

Dream DD: new Audi RS6 C8 wagon coming to the states. That shit is sex.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:11 am
wap wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:06 am Great thread.

All good candidates for sure.

And you're :notwrong: , there is a reason most here bought :turboyaris: , they are one of the better DDs out there for most people who enjoy cars.
:dat:

Also, I just realized that all my choices were under the VW corporate umbrella. If I had to branch out I'd probably choose one of these:

Guess I really like wagons. :lol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:14 am I’d honestly be ballsy and say for a DD sports carif budget weren’t an issue it’d be a GT3

Realistic DD: Golf R or RS3 (I wouldn’t tuna or mod these other than maybe lower + wheels since you mentioned we’d have a weekend car.

:notbad:

I figured adding in weekend car option would make DD less compromised. My curiosity was if you could have anything for the M-F slog, what would it be. Many DD :truk: because they have to tow on weekends but only have time/space/money for one vehicle, for example. When I was on the road, it really only made sense to have one vehicle, so I went with a C5, but it's far from the ultimate in DDing.

RS6 wagon is an awesome idea.
razr390

D Griff wrote:
razr390 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:14 am I’d honestly be ballsy and say for a DD sports carif budget weren’t an issue it’d be a GT3

I figured adding in weekend car option would make DD less compromised. My curiosity was if you could have anything for the M-F slog, what would it be. Many DD :truk: because they have to tow on weekends but only have time/space/money for one vehicle, for example. When I was on the road, it really only made sense to have one vehicle, so I went with a C5, but it's far from the ultimate in DDing.

If I had to truck I’d be hard pressed to say no to a Raptor.

RS6 :doe: :drool:

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:07 pm
D Griff wrote:

Raptor DD would blow though, those things are huge. I guess you are in TX now so size isn't a concern.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

In a perfect world I'd be able to combine my last two cars. MQB body/chassis/interior, with a more fuel-efficient EJ257 making 50 more hp, and the STi 6-speed and driveline. Would be absolutely perfect, for me.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

I like my GTI as a DD.

In terms of this thread with no budget or anything, before the GTI, I would have simply said the SS. After the GTI, I'd have to look at both the SS and the Golf R before making a decision.
max225

razr390 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:07 pm
D Griff wrote:

this is not a DD. This is stance nation
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Came here to post this.
brain go brrrrrr
razr390

max225 wrote:
razr390 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:07 pm If I had to truck I’d be hard pressed to say no to a Raptor.

this is not a DD. This is stance nation
My bad. This seems to be a pic from a wheel company. Here’s the original.

max225

They upsized the ridiculous 22"s to 24"s on a wagon... sigh.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:28 pm They upsized the ridiculous 22"s to 24"s on a wagon... sigh.
The base wheels are 20", but those are definitely 21/22".
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:55 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:28 pm They upsized the ridiculous 22"s to 24"s on a wagon... sigh.
The base wheels are 20", but those are definitely 21/22".
That’s :fullretard: if there is one thing to change about my M3 it’s those 20”s completely stupid
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

:wtf: is with all these sporty cars as a DD? If money is no object and I have a shitload of other fun cars, I'd be looking for the most relaxing and easy DD experience possible.

Model S for me. Or maybe a Gran Turismo.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:58 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:57 pm :wtf: is with all these sporty cars as a DD? If money is no object and I have a shitload of other fun cars, I'd be looking for the most relaxing and easy DD experience possible.

I'd go DSG in the Gorf Wagen.

7 speed DSG is pretty sweet.
On a more realistic budget, I have a hard time making a counter to this.

MAYBE an Outback. That would be :neat: for DD.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote::wtf: is with all these sporty cars as a DD? If money is no object and I have a shitload of other fun cars, I'd be looking for the most relaxing and easy DD experience possible.

Some of us actually like cars.