The :baby: :baby: :baby: chronicles

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Where is DPLAC :doe: !??!?!

On a positive note, trip looks lots of fun.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:32 am Where is DPLAC :doe: !??!?!

We were beat on Friday from the long drive and turned in fairly early. Timing just didn't work out on Saturday, I think he had plans. Chris had some spot on recommendations for things to do while we were up there, though. Much appreciated dude!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

coogles wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:35 am
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:32 am Where is DPLAC :doe: !??!?!

We were beat on Friday from the long drive and turned in fairly early. Timing just didn't work out on Saturday, I think he had plans. Chris had some spot on recommendations for things to do while we were up there, though. Much appreciated dude!
We picked wine grapes on Saturday morning and I lost my phone at the vineyard then went about doing other things. :derp:

Sorry we weren't able to connect, but glad to see you guys made it on the Empire Bluff hike, that thing is epic.

Looks like your wine pic is at Mari on Old Mission? If so, the part of the peninsula sticking out on the left in the water is where I live (our house is on top of the highest part of that bluff). They have solid wine and great views (just a little pricey compared to others).

There's so much to do up here, consider spending a week next time!
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
golftdibrad1
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

coogles wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:12 am First road trip in the GR86 is complete - my wife and I took a trip to Traverse City over the weekend. It was a long drive for a weekend and probably not one we'll do again unless it's for a longer period of time, but we were glad to be able to do it. Solid food, good wine, beautiful scenery, I can see why our guy Detroit loves it up there.

:whocares: but the 86 did fine. The ride was a little tiring, there was more road noise than would be ideal, but it was fine. The GTI would have been a superior tool for this kind of thing, no question.
:nice:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:46 am We picked wine grapes on Saturday morning and I lost my phone at the vineyard then went about doing other things. :derp:

Sorry we weren't able to connect, but glad to see you guys made it on the Empire Bluff hike, that thing is epic.

Looks like your wine pic is at Mari on Old Mission? If so, the part of the peninsula sticking out on the left in the water is where I live (our house is on top of the highest part of that bluff). They have solid wine and great views (just a little pricey compared to others).

All good dude. The Empire Bluff hike was indeed amazing.

Yep! That was at Mari, it was the last one we visited on Saturday since it was open an hour later than most of the others. My biggest complaint was that most of the wineries closed at 6 on a Saturday. :wtf: The winery closest to our house here usually has live music starting at 7 on Saturday. :lol: Minor complaint I guess, but it did compress the day quite a bit.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

coogles wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:12 am First road trip in the GR86 is complete - my wife and I took a trip to Traverse City over the weekend. It was a long drive for a weekend and probably not one we'll do again unless it's for a longer period of time, but we were glad to be able to do it. Solid food, good wine, beautiful scenery, I can see why our guy Detroit loves it up there.

:whocares: but the 86 did fine. The ride was a little tiring, there was more road noise than would be ideal, but it was fine. The GTI would have been a superior tool for this kind of thing, no question.
:fuckyeah: Great pics. Beautiful part of "Murica, for sure. :megusta:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Pics look 5/7, sounds like a fun trip!

No GR86 photos? Curious on your wife's feedback on spending a weekend in it? Does she think it's cool at all? Just :disgust: ?
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:57 pm Pics look 5/7, sounds like a fun trip!

No GR86 photos? Curious on your wife's feedback on spending a weekend in it? Does she think it's cool at all? Just :disgust: ?
Both super valid points ! I’m really curious as well.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

The best 86 photos would have been the thing dirty from getting rained on on the way up, sitting in a gravel lot at a trailhead, so I opted not to take any. My wife tolerated the 86 just fine, but I can tell she doesn't really care for it, really one way or the other. She was super interested in learning to drive it after we first brought it home, now I can tell she couldn't care less. She did poke fun at it a couple times about it sounding like a tractor at low RPM too. She has a point, a refined powertrain this is not. I did take one quick detour to enjoy some squiggly lines on the map, but our Saturday was so packed we were pretty strictly trying to get from A to B. :ohwell:
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:04 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:46 am We picked wine grapes on Saturday morning and I lost my phone at the vineyard then went about doing other things. :derp:

All good dude. The Empire Bluff hike was indeed amazing.

Yep! That was at Mari, it was the last one we visited on Saturday since it was open an hour later than most of the others. My biggest complaint was that most of the wineries closed at 6 on a Saturday. :wtf: The winery closest to our house here usually has live music starting at 7 on Saturday. :lol: Minor complaint I guess, but it did compress the day quite a bit.
Oh man...winery hours are a hotly contested topic here. The peninsula is a township, and has restrictions on how late wineries are allowed to be open, among a ton of other restrictions. So much so, that the wineries banded together to sue the township. It made it to the Michigan Supreme court which ruled in the winery's favor...but the township is appealing. Makes me :rage: AF that my tax dollars are going to such a ridiculous thing, but the township is full of olds that don't want ANY sort of development or increase in traffic AT ALL FULL STOP. They're doing everything they can to prevent it. I can't wait to vote those fuckers out in November.

We work until 5-6 most days. We'd love to pop down to a winery for a glass of wine and chilling, but they close so early that we often can't. They WANT to stay open later, but aren't allowed. It's insanity.

So funny you noticed that, I bet a lot of people do as well. Our local economy is missing out on a ton of revenue.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:15 pm

The best 86 photos would have been the thing dirty from getting rained on on the way up, sitting in a gravel lot at a trailhead, so I opted not to take any. My wife tolerated the 86 just fine, but I can tell she doesn't really care for it, really one way or the other. She was super interested in learning to drive it after we first brought it home, now I can tell she couldn't care less. She did poke fun at it a couple times about it sounding like a tractor at low RPM too. She has a point, a refined powertrain this is not. I did take one quick detour to enjoy some squiggly lines on the map, but our Saturday was so packed we were pretty strictly trying to get from A to B. :ohwell:
:lolol: I didn't take photos of the 4R filthy in the U.P. in Feb and got a bunch of shit. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I forgot about the parking lot to Empire bluff, sorry about that. There aren't many good hikes off paved roads/lots :doe: .

Hopefully you got a few good runs around Leelanau. There's some squiggly sections between farms that can be quite fun. Tough part is a lot of the great roads are along the water...so you spend more time taking in the sights than :stig: Also, risk is high driving along the water, a mistake can be :sweaty: Yes, I've seen sports cars in the bay before :lolol:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Traverse City is beautiful, I've been there 12 years ago on a 4th of july weekend. The water in the lake was cold and watched fireworks from the boat. It was nice.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

I came in here late and my :tits: firmly does not want a minivan and wants a Porsche Cayenne if we can afford it, which something I'll definitely be fine with for sure, that if we have the means at some point in the future.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:42 pm
coogles wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:15 pm

:lolol: I didn't take photos of the 4R filthy in the U.P. in Feb and got a bunch of shit. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I forgot about the parking lot to Empire bluff, sorry about that. There aren't many good hikes off paved roads/lots :doe: .

Hopefully you got a few good runs around Leelanau. There's some squiggly sections between farms that can be quite fun. Tough part is a lot of the great roads are along the water...so you spend more time taking in the sights than :stig: Also, risk is high driving along the water, a mistake can be :sweaty: Yes, I've seen sports cars in the bay before :lolol:
:iono: I don't remember anyone around here ball bustin' for a car being dirty on a trip but it's fun to see pics. The Beep Beep was FILTHY when we went cross country but it's still neat having shots of it.

No pressure :doe: , I just want to :fap: to 86 content.
wap

Did someone mention dirty car road trip pics?

This was after driving several miles on a dirt road to find a remote state park in downstate Illinois.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:48 pm Did someone mention dirty car road trip pics?

This was after driving several miles on a dirt road to find a remote state park in downstate Illinois.
:triggered: totaled :pouroneout:
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Always funny hearing regional lingo.. out here we’d say “southern” rather than “downstate”
max225

wap wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:48 pm Did someone mention dirty car road trip pics?

That shitty cocaine! :lol: :yikes:
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:05 am

:triggered: totaled :pouroneout:
:dat:

It cleaned up fine, :doe:
wap

SAWCE wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:30 am Always funny hearing regional lingo.. out here we’d say “southern” rather than “downstate”
It's definitely a Chicago thing. Anything outside of Cook county (which is basically all of Chicago) or the surrounding collar counties is considered "downstate" (meaning rural or "country") since Chicago is so far north in Illinois, even areas to the west and not south. :lol: And the differences are really stark. Downstaters are basically Southern. They even speak with a southern drawl. :lol:
wap

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:19 am

That shitty cocaine! :lol: :yikes:
:lolol:
It was curiously white dust/dirt. Most of it blew off once I got back on a paved highway.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:39 am
SAWCE wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:30 am Always funny hearing regional lingo.. out here we’d say “southern” rather than “downstate”
It's definitely a Chicago thing. Anything outside of Cook county (which is basically all of Chicago) or the surrounding collar counties is considered "downstate" (meaning rural or "country") since Chicago is so far north in Illinois, even areas to the west and not south. :lol: And the differences are really stark. Downstaters are basically Southern. They even speak with a southern drawl. :lol:
We use "downstate" all the time where we are. Can't really tell a big difference in people, other than downstaters tend to be assholes.

Illinois is really diverse. Chicago to Decatur, for example are different worlds. And Decatur's only half way down the state geographically.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:15 am
wap wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:39 am

We use "downstate" all the time where we are. Can't really tell a big difference in people, other than downstaters tend to be assholes.

Illinois is really diverse. Chicago to Decatur, for example are different worlds. And Decatur's only half way down the state geographically.
Yep.

Drive a couple of hours south of Chicago and you may as well be in Kentucky.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:56 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:15 am

Yep.

Same is true in Indiana, except it's basically the entire state outside of Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, Bloomington, and the NW of the state closest to Chicago. It's fucking weird. Also explains why I'm way more comfortable in Michigan and Wisconsin than here.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:30 pm
wap wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:56 pm

Yep.

Same is true in Indiana, except it's basically the entire state outside of Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, Bloomington, and the NW of the state closest to Chicago. It's fucking weird. Also explains why I'm way more comfortable in Michigan and Wisconsin than here.
I'm amazed by how quickly Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio get southern...and not in a good way. I like TN and the people there, and the cities in KY, but a lot of :disgust: outside of that.