The :baby: :baby: :baby: chronicles

Strut your greasy stuff!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:04 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:25 am Will this commute involve kid stuff or can you take the 86 for now?

I’m all for going back to the office some to work with others and whatnot, but three days feels rather excessive, particularly with your team nowhere near by. Pointless…

:ohwell: , Golf R time :excited:
The twins' daycare is sort of halfway between our house and downtown where the office is. The days I'm going into the office I will likely be handling both dropoff and pickup duties, though a year from now they'll be off to kindergarten and I'd be solo.

A Golf would probably do okay but it's probably smaller than would be ideal for having a 4 year old sit behind me in a forward-facing seat. A booster would be better since there's no back to them, but the the kids are really too small for one. I can hear the complaints and see the scuffed seatback now.

Oddly a Golf Sportwagen has no more rear legroom than the standard Golf. :wtf:
It’s wild that a four year old + their seat takes up that much space, I feel like we’re doing it wrong. I could sit behind you in a Golf no problem :lolol:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 5:02 pm It’s wild that a four year old + their seat takes up that much space, I feel like we’re doing it wrong. I could sit behind you in a Golf no problem :lolol:
They also have the expectation that they need to be able to fully straighten their legs and not touch anything or they'll start doing leg presses on the back of your seat. It's great.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 5:00 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:39 am

So that crowdstrike issue with windows caused a handful of our remote users computers to brick themselves. Happened Thursday night. Friday is a WFH day for our company for those departments where that’s allowed. The number of people that didn’t report they couldn’t log I to windows until Monday was eye opening. Way to sell yourself out bro.

I think a lot of companies are mandating return to office because they think people are doing nothing at home. Stuff like that only fuels those thoughts.
Yeah most of the inside sales people were have on my team are remote and complete shit/do nothing. BUT that is a them problem, fire them or make them go to the office. For those responsible enough, why inconvenience them when there’s no benefit? Any manager who doesn’t know the difference should also be on notice. This is adult life, not kindergarten.
Problem is most people aren’t motivated or are on a kindergarten maturity/education level. So the only way to make sure they’re actually doing their job is to force in office to make sure they’re not fucking off. I meet a lot of different professions in my job and I can assure you, people need to be supervised to actually get a job done. Which ruins it for the less than 5% that don’t need that oversight.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:26 pm Problem is most people aren’t motivated or are on a kindergarten maturity/education level. So the only way to make sure they’re actually doing their job is to force in office to make sure they’re not fucking off. I meet a lot of different professions in my job and I can assure you, people need to be supervised to actually get a job done. Which ruins it for the less than 5% that don’t need that oversight.
That falls apart when I live in Indianapolis, my manager lives in San Francisco, and her manager lives in Madison, WI. My two colleagues on the team live in Vancouver and Ottawa. I could swipe my badge and go sit on the shitter the entire rest of the day and no one I work with directly would ever know. :derp:
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

coogles wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 pm
J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:26 pm Problem is most people aren’t motivated or are on a kindergarten maturity/education level. So the only way to make sure they’re actually doing their job is to force in office to make sure they’re not fucking off. I meet a lot of different professions in my job and I can assure you, people need to be supervised to actually get a job done. Which ruins it for the less than 5% that don’t need that oversight.
That falls apart when I live in Indianapolis, my manager lives in San Francisco, and her manager lives in Madison, WI. My two colleagues on the team live in Vancouver and Ottawa. I could swipe my badge and go sit on the shitter the entire rest of the day and no one I work with directly would ever know. :derp:
Just pay a homeless guy to swipe your badge for you. You’re stimulating the economy and aren’t spending money on gas + wear and tear in a car.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:34 pm Just pay a homeless guy to swipe your badge for you. You’re stimulating the economy and aren’t spending money on gas + wear and tear in a car.
:notbad:
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

coogles wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:42 pm
J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:34 pm Just pay a homeless guy to swipe your badge for you. You’re stimulating the economy and aren’t spending money on gas + wear and tear in a car.
:notbad:
You’re welcome! Also, a kid might work better. Someone who lives around your office and isn’t on drugs. Pro tip. Follow me for more life advice
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:26 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 5:00 pm

Yeah most of the inside sales people were have on my team are remote and complete shit/do nothing. BUT that is a them problem, fire them or make them go to the office. For those responsible enough, why inconvenience them when there’s no benefit? Any manager who doesn’t know the difference should also be on notice. This is adult life, not kindergarten.
Problem is most people aren’t motivated or are on a kindergarten maturity/education level. So the only way to make sure they’re actually doing their job is to force in office to make sure they’re not fucking off. I meet a lot of different professions in my job and I can assure you, people need to be supervised to actually get a job done. Which ruins it for the less than 5% that don’t need that oversight.
:notwrong: although hopefully 5% is a pessimistic view :lolol:

We have similar jobs in the sense that it’s a hard requirement to be self motivated in sales. I’m not the most money motivated person, I’m pretty satisfied with what I have and don’t want for more really, which makes it even more surprising to me that my coworkers who are much more so are still often just lazy and useless. We have some great people and just as many bad, I think it’s 50/50ish. Of my three sales reps, one is a literal piece of shit/leech to society, one is like a solid 2.5/7, not good but at least semi tries kind of, one is a legit 4.5/7.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Minor update, I suppose. August 9th is the last date we're really going to need the van. That's the last day the sitter will be watching our twins and one of the other girls from their class this summer before school starts up again. She's been using it to cart them around to various activities to get them out of our hair while WFH. I am admittedly :notsure: about going back to the Atlas as our only car that can carry all three kids. It's not that we'll need two, it's just that the van does such a better job of it despite the Atlas being the largest in its segment. You really can't beat a minivan in terms of interior volume for that kind of footprint. :tits: unfortunately would divorce me before having a minivan as "her" car.

My 3x per week commute will about 38 miles round trip. Not crazy, but not exactly short, either. The van averages roughly 18mpg and it'd be really nice to have something that's at least in the 25mpg range, if not better. I really want something under warranty that I won't have to worry about. Dealing with old car shit with the van has been beyond annoying, and it could actually be detrimental to my career given badge swipes are going to be tracked. If I have to WFH because the car is borked, those are days I'll need to make up in the office.

I keep coming back to a new GTI, despite my interior gripes. The discount with the VW partner program, the fuel economy and being able to run on 87, having a brand new car with a warranty, and the combination of comfort and relative driving enjoyment are compelling factors.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:40 pm Minor update, I suppose. August 9th is the last date we're really going to need the van. That's the last day the sitter will be watching our twins and one of the other girls from their class this summer before school starts up again. She's been using it to cart them around to various activities to get them out of our hair while WFH. I am admittedly :notsure: about going back to the Atlas as our only car that can carry all three kids. It's not that we'll need two, it's just that the van does such a better job of it despite the Atlas being the largest in its segment. You really can't beat a minivan in terms of interior volume for that kind of footprint. :tits: unfortunately would divorce me before having a minivan as "her" car.

My 3x per week commute will about 38 miles round trip. Not crazy, but not exactly short, either. The van averages roughly 18mpg and it'd be really nice to have something that's at least in the 25mpg range, if not better. I really want something under warranty that I won't have to worry about. Dealing with old car shit with the van has been beyond annoying, and it could actually be detrimental to my career given badge swipes are going to be tracked. If I have to WFH because the car is borked, those are days I'll need to make up in the office.

I keep coming back to a new GTI, despite my interior gripes. The discount with the VW partner program, the fuel economy and being able to run on 87, having a brand new car with a warranty, and the combination of comfort and relative driving enjoyment are compelling factors.
I mean it makes sense. It’s a great commuter AND it scratches the fun car itch decently. Plus, if you must go auto, the DSGay is pretty sweet versus many other options. I’d be interested to check out an Elantra N but don’t know if I could get past the looks. Sadly the auto requirement eliminates the rest of the category unless you want a continuously vaginal WRX which just no.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 9:24 pm I mean it makes sense. It’s a great commuter AND it scratches the fun car itch decently. Plus, if you must go auto, the DSGay is pretty sweet versus many other options. I’d be interested to check out an Elantra N but don’t know if I could get past the looks. Sadly the auto requirement eliminates the rest of the category unless you want a continuously vaginal WRX which just no.
Yeah. The automatic requirement limits me tremendously. If she'd deal with driving ehsteek occasionally I'd wait for a CTR and be good. I dig the Elantra N but I just don't know. Maybe I'm too old? :lol: The VWs just fit "me" better. And yeah the CVT in the WRX is a :nope:.

The Alltrack is still a consideration too. With the equity in the van & the GR86 I'd be just shy of paying for it outright with just the two on trade. No warranty, but having zero car debt sounds pretty damn good. I'm planning to go check it out tomorrow and get seat time in another MK8.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 9:19 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 9:24 pm I mean it makes sense. It’s a great commuter AND it scratches the fun car itch decently. Plus, if you must go auto, the DSGay is pretty sweet versus many other options. I’d be interested to check out an Elantra N but don’t know if I could get past the looks. Sadly the auto requirement eliminates the rest of the category unless you want a continuously vaginal WRX which just no.
Yeah. The automatic requirement limits me tremendously. If she'd deal with driving ehsteek occasionally I'd wait for a CTR and be good. I dig the Elantra N but I just don't know. Maybe I'm too old? :lol: The VWs just fit "me" better. And yeah the CVT in the WRX is a :nope:.

The Alltrack is still a consideration too. With the equity in the van & the GR86 I'd be just shy of paying for it outright with just the two on trade. No warranty, but having zero car debt sounds pretty damn good. I'm planning to go check it out tomorrow and get seat time in another MK8.
I hear you, I wish I wanted an Elantra N, it seems awesome... but it just doesn't make me tingly down there :lolol: I hate to admit it, but looks definitely have a lot to do with whcih cars give me the fizz. I dig the look of Golfs, not so much Elantras.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 9:51 am I hear you, I wish I wanted an Elantra N, it seems awesome... but it just doesn't make me tingly down there :lolol: I hate to admit it, but looks definitely have a lot to do with whcih cars give me the fizz. I dig the look of Golfs, not so much Elantras.
If you have me an afternoon in the canyons and I could choose the Elantra N or a GTI, I'd pick the Elantra. But to live with every day, it'd be the VW.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I changed the oil in the 86 this morning for the first time since October of 2022, right before we took it that trip to Traverse City. That trip put about 900 miles on the 86, so I've only driven it another 2,100 since then. Sheesh. :disappoint:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

coogles wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 11:24 am I changed the oil in the 86 this morning for the first time since October of 2022, right before we took it that trip to Traverse City. That trip put about 900 miles on the 86, so I've only driven it another 2,100 since then. Sheesh. :disappoint:
Dang … 2 years almost
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 12:40 pm Dang … 2 years almost
Yeah. Probably should do it every year at least. :ohwell:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

coogles wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 12:58 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 12:40 pm Dang … 2 years almost
Yeah. Probably should do it every year at least. :ohwell:
Nah the silicone blocking most of the pickup tube is keeping a lot of your oil from being used so it stays fresh! Less oil being used means it's not absorbing heat as well this also burning off the moisture quicker. It's actually the ideal situation
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 9:19 am

I think the current GTI looks pretty sweet. And as far as cars with automatics go, it’s up there with the best of them. If you go with the lowest trim and smaller info screen I think you get some knobs back for volume and stuff.

The only things I don’t like are the gauges mostly because of the background, and the automatic shifter is a flippy nub.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 1:10 pm Nah the silicone blocking most of the pickup tube is keeping a lot of your oil from being used so it stays fresh! Less oil being used means it's not absorbing heat as well this also burning off the moisture quicker. It's actually the ideal situation
:science:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Spent a good amount of time in my preferred spec this morning. But, confirmed, I cannot MK8.

Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 12:02 pm Spent a good amount of time in my preferred spec this morning. But, confirmed, I cannot MK8.

Too much haptastic?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 12:20 pm Too much haptastic?
I would go so far as to call it dangerous. Any engineer or who's hand a hand in designing that UI should be fired.

Also, the lane keep seemingly can't actually be disabled. Even when I had it switched off it would still tug at the wheel for phantom reasons.

It's a hard pass from me on any new VW.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 1:13 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 12:20 pm Too much haptastic?
I would go so far as to call it dangerous. Any engineer or who's hand a hand in designing that UI should be fired.

Also, the lane keep seemingly can't actually be disabled. Even when I had it switched off it would still tug at the wheel for phantom reasons.

I’ve noticed that lane keep thing in lots of rentals when it’s off, from different brands. I can get down with adaptive cruise that can stop the car as a driver aid. Lane keep seems not ready for prime time.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 1:20 pm
coogles wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 1:13 pm

I’ve noticed that lane keep thing in lots of rentals when it’s off, from different brands. I can get down with adaptive cruise that can stop the car as a driver aid. Lane keep seems not ready for prime time.
Insane. When something like that is turned off, it should actually be off. I can't help but feel like I missed something,

It's really too bad, the MK8 GTI is a wonderful car to drive.
Desertbreh

coogles wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 1:38 pm
D Griff wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 1:20 pm

Insane. When something like that is turned off, it should actually be off. I can't help but feel like I missed something,

It's really too bad, the MK8 GTI is a wonderful car to drive.
https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/4050 ... ne-assist/
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.