Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Re: Tour X

There's a nice little community for those locally here.

SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

They’re good looking cars
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Pretty hot with the cladding painted.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I won’t lie though, as much as it want to say I don’t care about badge… I would not be stoked to tell people I drive a Buick.
SAWCE

Painting the cladding seems like a must-do.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I haven't seen one with the cladding painted vs removed. That could be an interesting look.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

We were looking for tires on the T-reg, wife was cool with buying something badass that can stay on rain, snow, or shine. I think I might have gone a bit overboard, BFG K02s :facepalm: :lol:

They are really cool looking, but I'm a bit worried that the wife will think they're too loud.

I think they're :nice:
What you guys think, :fullretard: or :whocares: ?
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tar wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:44 pm We were looking for tires on the T-reg, wife was cool with buying something badass that can stay on rain, snow, or shine. I think I might have gone a bit overboard, BFG K02s :facepalm: :lol:

They are really cool looking, but I'm a bit worried that the wife will think they're too loud.

I think they're :nice:
What you guys think, :fullretard: or :whocares: ?
Holy shit … :amazing:

I Love k02s but i wouldn’t even put them on my truck…

Are they upsized? Or stock size ?

They are great tires but make sure to rotate every 5k… unless you want a wub wub wub fest at home
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Man... we have just some regular BFG all terrains on the :jeep: and I'd honestly be tempted to get the minivan Michelins next go round. I think K02s are actually semi-quiet for the category at least?

My buddy who bought my 328i had a (not grand) Cherokee and put these all terrains on and they were so loud, it was the dumbest thing on that POS minivan of a car. At least the T-reg is somewhat of a real :truk:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

It definitely looks cooler IMO.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Ops, sounds like I bought too much tire. They're pretty sick, but the wife may hate them. We'll see, I would like to keep them if she isn't opposed to it, they can handle snow and shit so maybe I'll grab a summer set next year, she really doesn't drive much anymore, so they will likely hit 5 k every 6 mths
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I may sell them if they end up being a nuisance.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

They seem quiet around town, stock size 255/55r18s
max225

Tar wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:38 pm They seem quiet around town, stock size 255/55r18s
They will be for the first 10k easy. Keep us posted
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:47 pm
Tar wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:38 pm They seem quiet around town, stock size 255/55r18s
Based on what you are saying here, the wife will probably get over the new/cool factor and make me put regular tires on her truck.

It's getting older (we bought it in 2016) so she will probably only want to keep it for another 3yrs. I don't really want to buy two sets of tires, so I'll need to find something that handles snow but can stay on during summer months.

It would be cool to keep it and turn it into an off-road thing with a set of these and a 3" lift kit. Resale on it is abysmal at best. Also, my first born turns 16 in 4 yrs.. so this would be a pretty dope first car, :iono:

Realistically though, if they are too much i'll likely just sell them.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Hopefully your wife doesn't notice the noise :lolol:
SAWCE

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:50 pm I haven't seen one with the cladding painted vs removed. That could be an interesting look.
Oh, just realized the ones you posed have the cladding removed.. that’s nice that you can do that. Much cleaner look imo.
max225

Tar wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:58 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:47 pm

Based on what you are saying here, the wife will probably get over the new/cool factor and make me put regular tires on her truck.

It's getting older (we bought it in 2016) so she will probably only want to keep it for another 3yrs. I don't really want to buy two sets of tires, so I'll need to find something that handles snow but can stay on during summer months.

It would be cool to keep it and turn it into an off-road thing with a set of these and a 3" lift kit. Resale on it is abysmal at best. Also, my first born turns 16 in 4 yrs.. so this would be a pretty dope first car, :iono:

The car is pretty well insulated so just keep us posted. It’ll likely be just fine for a few years.

Btw does that thing have air suspension?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:40 pm
Tar wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:58 pm

The car is pretty well insulated so just keep us posted. It’ll likely be just fine for a few years.

Will do, no air suspension on that thing.
max225

Tar wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:19 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:40 pm

Btw can you post up some deets on your ownership experience ? It’s a 2016 vr6? How many miles? How has it been over time ? Just a water pump ? Or am I crazy
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:49 pm
Tar wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:19 pm

Btw can you post up some deets on your ownership experience ? It’s a 2016 vr6? How many miles? How has it been over time ? Just a water pump ? Or am I crazy
My pleasure... Here's the general gist:

We leased the 16 Touareg 3.6 V6 motor for 4 years. Purchase price was something like (CAD funds cited) $10k on the hood, so a $63?k list price being offered for $53k at the time. It's a mid-level trim package, so it has a pano glass roof, keyless, auto, 4wd, cruise, nav, fake leather, power/heated seats, reverse camera, power tailgate, towing hitch w/harness, LED tailz, xenon headlights W/LED DRL and turn signals, lane keeping, blind spot monitoring, off-road features like crawl mode, steering angle sensors, etc and maybe a few other negligible features.

We serviced it at the dealership throught it's entire lifespan, skipping bundled service packages and custom picking only the fluid changes that I wanted them to replace. I replaced plugs, cabin air filters, etc., myself using OEM parts, with a bit of scrutiny around their "recommended" intervals.

When the lease matured, buyout was only $25k, and Nicole only put 55k miles on it. There really wasn't anything even close to its value in 2020, so we bought it out. Since then, she's probably put another 20k miles on it, and she works from home exclusively, so it only gets driven for general run around tasks, and a few road trips when we're not taking the Camry.

The brake rotors and pads finally rusted and wore out, so we did the whole pad/rotor/brake fluid replacement for $1200 at the dealership, which has them covered under warranty for 2 yrs.

Driver side heated seat also shit the bed, dealer replaced it for $400 all in.

Water pump also went around the same time as the brakes, so we gave them the car, and surprisingly it was a $600 job through the dealership, so we paid them and have that covered.

I should probably change the battery soon.

No other issues came up, and I feel like the main maintenance items and consumables have been addressed for a while.

Zero sign of rust.

Zero wear on the seats, and only a couple of plastic trim pieces need replacement. Namely one vent kind of came apart, but I have the piece and with the right pair of needle nose, I may be able to lock it back together. There are two or three plastic covers that mount to the door card and cover bulbs that light the floor when the door is open which also kind of came apart.

I feel like this generation of Touareg is very well built, and kind of utilize quality components shared with Audi/Porsche, so there is an overall sensation of durability. It's average/kinda slow, but we feed it 87 octane gas, so that probably leaves 10% on the table, but it's not really the kind of car we rev up or anything, and it keeps up nicely in traffic.

We towed a 22' trailer to Grand Bend full of furniture last year, and I didn't even notice the load back there. The truck is epic when it comes to towing shit. I believe they are rated for 8300 lbs without back checking.

Definitely not the horror story you'd expect if you've owned the previous gen Touareg. My only gripe is the archaic head unit, and VWs software which requires OBD access to reser service AND inspection reminders. It's always a nightmare, and caused me to sever ties with my local dealer. The work mentioned above all goes to the next closest VW dealership about 25 min away, where they throw me a 10% discount for everything, and clear the inspection reminder for me even if I do my own work sometimes.

I didn't proof read, and this was typed on an android phone, so forgive any typos and bad grammar. :ohwell:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Sorry, the heating element in the seat went, the power stuff still works. Getting that pad out requires it to be removed, and taken apart. It's a lot of labor for a fairly cheap part.
max225

That’s great and overall it sounds like a 5/7 experience with reasonable dealer pricing too! What more can one ask for ?

Did you have to do a trans service and a transfer case (if it has one)?

My stepmoms Q5 was also nearly flawless until 100k and then all kinds of random shit started happening … yours should be a bit more stout sans turbro.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

It's great when dealers charge fairly, I don't mind spending a little extra for the expertise.

I've asked numerous times, trans fluid is lifetime, apparently. I don't remember what the deets are on the transfer case, but I'll look into the service history tomorrow.

Thanks, I'm totally happy with how things are progressing with the ownership experience. Hopefully no gremlins show up. *knock wood*, things have been good.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:28 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:50 pm I haven't seen one with the cladding painted vs removed. That could be an interesting look.
Oh, just realized the ones you posed have the cladding removed.. that’s nice that you can do that. Much cleaner look imo.
It's just stuck on the fenders. The bumpers and side skirts however would need to be replaced completely or painted. It's one of those things where you have to fully commit to either or.