Fled’s FR-S 2.0 — 2022 GR86 Premium

Strut your greasy stuff!
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

1300 miles down.

My car has developed a horrendous glove box rattle. I need to shim out the lid or something. I’ve had to resort to driving with the glove box open or wedging something in place for now.

Fuel economy seems to be in the mid 20’s with some spirited driving and a 80mph highway commute. I spent more this week on fuel than I’d spend in a month on the Corolla Hybrid.

The clutch is long and the bite point is a very short window very high up on the release. It’s funky driving this thing at a sedate pace and the 1-2 shift becomes a bit jerky and bouncy. Modulation of the pedal is a bit tough.
However drive it like a sports car and it’s perfectly fine.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

My STI had a glove box rattle. I fixed it with some felt tape that I lined where the stoppers would make contact.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:50 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:45 pm February allocation came and went and my order went unfilled. Now we wait until March. Unsurprising, but :sad:.
Subaru shut down production in Gunma twice so far in February so you’re probably not going to see anything until the 2nd March allocation cycle at best (Toyota does 2 allocations a month, typically). Production is still biased towards AT models and Premium MTs remain slim pickings.

Interesting note is the two other 86s that my selling dealer got have been held at port for “Quality Action” for 21 days. My car was pushed through despite arriving 10 days after their first allocation arriving at the port. The other 6MT Premium arriving next week is also listed as a port hold with no info as to why.
Kind of odd that they’re biasing production to automatic. It may be different in other countries but I don’t think anyone in the USA really wants this car in auto, particularly the folks willing to wait months for one and/or pay above sticker. The auto in Charlotte I saw sat at the dealer for a few weeks…
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:39 am
fledonfoot wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:50 pm

Subaru shut down production in Gunma twice so far in February so you’re probably not going to see anything until the 2nd March allocation cycle at best (Toyota does 2 allocations a month, typically). Production is still biased towards AT models and Premium MTs remain slim pickings.

Interesting note is the two other 86s that my selling dealer got have been held at port for “Quality Action” for 21 days. My car was pushed through despite arriving 10 days after their first allocation arriving at the port. The other 6MT Premium arriving next week is also listed as a port hold with no info as to why.
Kind of odd that they’re biasing production to automatic. It may be different in other countries but I don’t think anyone in the USA really wants this car in auto, particularly the folks willing to wait months for one and/or pay above sticker. The auto in Charlotte I saw sat at the dealer for a few weeks…
This is likely because some dude making one screw for the manual got sneezed on and is out sick. While they had plenty of autos in stock
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:39 am Kind of odd that they’re biasing production to automatic. It may be different in other countries but I don’t think anyone in the USA really wants this car in auto, particularly the folks willing to wait months for one and/or pay above sticker. The auto in Charlotte I saw sat at the dealer for a few weeks…
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/21/sub ... sion-take/

Maybe this is why Toyota is prioritizing the auto cars. I might just bail on the whole thing and buy another STi after all.
Our latest information comes from Subaru, which kindly shared its manual transmission take-rate numbers for 2018. One of the most interesting tidbits was that 78% of Subaru BRZs sold had a manual. What makes that so curious is its stark contrast to its twin, the Toyota 86, where only 33% of those sold in 2018 had a manual.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:54 pm 1300 miles down.

My car has developed a horrendous glove box rattle. I need to shim out the lid or something. I’ve had to resort to driving with the glove box open or wedging something in place for now.

Fuel economy seems to be in the mid 20’s with some spirited driving and a 80mph highway commute. I spent more this week on fuel than I’d spend in a month on the Corolla Hybrid.

The clutch is long and the bite point is a very short window very high up on the release. It’s funky driving this thing at a sedate pace and the 1-2 shift becomes a bit jerky and bouncy. Modulation of the pedal is a bit tough.
However drive it like a sports car and it’s perfectly fine.
Absolutely nothing would make me :rage: harder than that. :lol:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:25 am

This is likely because some dude making one screw for the manual got sneezed on and is out sick. While they had plenty of autos in stock
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:25 am

At this point your guess is completely plausible :lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:33 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:39 am Kind of odd that they’re biasing production to automatic. It may be different in other countries but I don’t think anyone in the USA really wants this car in auto, particularly the folks willing to wait months for one and/or pay above sticker. The auto in Charlotte I saw sat at the dealer for a few weeks…
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/21/sub ... sion-take/

Maybe this is why Toyota is prioritizing the auto cars. I might just bail on the whole thing and buy another STi after all.
Our latest information comes from Subaru, which kindly shared its manual transmission take-rate numbers for 2018. One of the most interesting tidbits was that 78% of Subaru BRZs sold had a manual. What makes that so curious is its stark contrast to its twin, the Toyota 86, where only 33% of those sold in 2018 had a manual.
:iono: I think owning an actual sports car is a worthwhile experience to have and more divergent from the :odyssey:

That said, STIs are sweet and can hold kids. Maybe more entertaining in the Midwest as well, not really the best environment for the 86. Are they available?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:41 am :iono: I think owning an actual sports car is a worthwhile experience to have and more divergent from the :odyssey:

That said, STIs are sweet and can hold kids. Maybe more entertaining in the Midwest as well, not really the best environment for the 86. Are they available?
Both are so far removed from what the Odyssey will be like to drive most days that either one would be a welcome reprieve. I'd prefer the 86, but the STi definitely goes better with that dad life. Most are priced to insane levels, but I've found a couple in the sticks that would require fly and dry type deals but I think are fairly valued. Plus I could do it right meow rather than wait until spring 2023 for my sports car.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:49 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:41 am :iono: I think owning an actual sports car is a worthwhile experience to have and more divergent from the :odyssey:

Both are so far removed from what the Odyssey will be like to drive most days that either one would be a welcome reprieve. I'd prefer the 86, but the STi definitely goes better with that dad life. Most are priced to insane levels, but I've found a couple in the sticks that would require fly and dry type deals but I think are fairly valued. Plus I could do it right meow rather than wait until spring 2023 for my sports car.
Tough call, both are great cars. I'd probably wait it out for a new experience (and save $10K) but can't really go :wrong:

Where are the :dill: STIs? Fly and drive can be a fun adventure, :meat: up with some forum brehs along the way perhaps, hit up some fun roads.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:10 am
coogles wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:49 am

Tough call, both are great cars. I'd probably wait it out for a new experience (and save $10K) but can't really go :wrong:

Where are the :dill: STIs? Fly and drive can be a fun adventure, :meat: up with some forum brehs along the way perhaps, hit up some fun roads.
The one I'm most interested in is in Iowa. Ain't no DFDers out that way. :lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:13 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:10 am

The one I'm most interested in is in Iowa. Ain't no DFDers out that way. :lol:
Or any good roads :lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Plenty of corn :doe:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:00 pm