Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:25 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:19 pm SO my wife's sister purchased a new to her 2017 Explorer over the weekend... $26K. She had to use stretch pay/high interest due to terribad credit history (long story). She works hourly at a Michellin factory that produces airline tires. I am so :triggered: by this, particularly because we have constantly paid for shit for them. Nothing big, but we have taken care of her kid many times, bought them tons of food, given them shit, etc. She has improved a ton and really needed a new car as she drove a totally fucked 1998ish Accord... but seriously, your job could go away at any time and you go out and buy a car that costs as much as you take home a year with like $10K in interest over the loan terms? :wtf:

She had saved up like $4K cash, why not just buy a less shit Accord?

:triggered: :triggered: :triggered:
:triggered: :tubeman: :triggered:
SO
MANY
QUESTIONS

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Basically, the sister was in a really rough spot a couple of years ago and has commendably pulled herself out of it pretty well. The Michelin job has been pretty stable and seems to pay OK with overtime, especially for the rural area they live in, housing and other things are quite cheap.

That said, with airlines going to shit at the moment, a temporary shut down of a factory that makes tires for them seems imminent.

She has worked very hard to go from being basically homeless to doing OK and now actually being a pretty good mom to her kid and such.

So to risk all of that to buy a mediocre car is just :mindblown:

I mean, I am a huge car nut and have never even purchased a car for $26K, it's just such an insane thing to do in that position.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:30 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:25 pm

SO
MANY
QUESTIONS

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Basically, the sister was in a really rough spot a couple of years ago and has commendably pulled herself out of it pretty well. The Michelin job has been pretty stable and seems to pay OK with overtime, especially for the rural area they live in, housing and other things are quite cheap.

That said, with airlines going to shit at the moment, a temporary shut down of a factory that makes tires for them seems imminent.

She has worked very hard to go from being basically homeless to doing OK and now actually being a pretty good mom to her kid and such.

So to risk all of that to buy a mediocre car is just :mindblown:

I mean, I am a huge car nut and have never even purchased a car for $26K, it's just such an insane thing to do in that position.
As you have pointed out... she hasn't exactly made right choices on the regular, but this one hits close to home because its car based...

I am thinking I am a bit :fullretard: on trying to take advantage of this virus sitch to save money on another car I don't need... We're all stupid.. :(
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:19 pm SO my wife's sister purchased a new to her 2017 Explorer over the weekend... $26K. She had to use stretch pay/high interest due to terribad credit history (long story). She works hourly at a Michellin factory that produces airline tires. I am so :triggered: by this, particularly because we have constantly paid for shit for them. Nothing big, but we have taken care of her kid many times, bought them tons of food, given them shit, etc. She has improved a ton and really needed a new car as she drove a totally fucked 1998ish Accord... but seriously, your job could go away at any time and you go out and buy a car that costs as much as you take home a year with like $10K in interest over the loan terms? :wtf:

it's ok, she will get a trump check and it will cover maybe 2 payments when her job gets nixed
brain go brrrrrr
max225

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:35 pm

it's ok, she will get a trump check and it will cover maybe 2 payments when her job gets nixed
Pass the buck to everyone else. How could she have possibly known the airlines are struggling right now?!
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

This is so :wrong: in so many ways. Get a car that you NEED, not want. Is a midsize suv exactly what she wanted? Maybe. Does she need a car from point a to b in NC (i presume)? Not really, get a fucking 10 year old corolla and call it a day. Hell I want an m2, but would I get out of my way and willing to pay a mortgage out of that car? Not. Worth. It.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:36 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:35 pm

Pass the buck to everyone else. How could she have possibly known the airlines are struggling right now?!
SHe herself pointed out that the job was at risk because of travel bans... which is why I really don't understand. As mentioned, she has made far better choices for the most part as of the last couple years.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:15 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:00 pm
And look at the sales. It somehow manages to work.
It's also a well done vehicle.

Checks a lot of boxes for a lot of people, offered in several trim grades to accommodate basic bitch all the way to waxer, it's not too big, not too small (but it is pretty heavy).

I really like mine. Going to be sad to give it up when I hopefully come out the other side of this pandemic.
Give it up? :butwhy:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:19 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:32 pm
As you have pointed out... she hasn't exactly made right choices on the regular, but this one hits close to home because its car based...

I am thinking I am a bit :fullretard: on trying to take advantage of this virus sitch to save money on another car I don't need... We're all stupid.. :(
When this is all over I'm making some drastic changes. But just sheltering in place until it's all over and my ass is lost.

Thankfully the MINI is owned outright and it's mechanically sound.
Yeah in hindsight I should have stuck with my paid-for $10k 40k mile :wankel: that I'd done all maintenance on vs effectively paying $40k for the 86 when you add in the :plac: profits from selling the RX8 and MKZ. Hopefully it doesn't end up biting me in the ass. At least the :tits: mazderp only has 2-3 more payments left on it and has been reliable thus far.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:39 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:19 pm

When this is all over I'm making some drastic changes. But just sheltering in place until it's all over and my ass is lost.

Thankfully the MINI is owned outright and it's mechanically sound.
Yeah in hindsight I should have stuck with my paid-for $10k 40k mile :wankel: that I'd done all maintenance on vs effectively paying $40k for the 86 when you add in the :plac: profits from selling the RX8 and MKZ. Hopefully it doesn't end up biting me in the ass. At least the :tits: mazderp only has 2-3 more payments left on it and has been reliable thus far.
You can't always predict it... as long as you stick to this vehicle I don't see an issue. The problem is :plac: and the constant lighting of 4-5 figures per car transaction on fire... think about it... you could have replaced an engine or 10 in the RX8 for that money... :yikes:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:40 pm

You can't always predict it... as long as you stick to this vehicle I don't see an issue. The problem is :plac: and the constant lighting of 4-5 figures per car transaction on fire... think about it... you could have replaced an engine or 10 in the RX8 for that money... :yikes:
:dat:

Each transaction is quite the :wasteful:

I am debating offing the Beemah post all of this... but the flip side is that it's a $15K car, I've already lit almost $10K on fire after tax, depreciation, modz, maintenance... and if I off I I'll inevitably get sick of DD in the C5 at some point. But currently I'm making a payment on it monthly, paying insurance on two cars, reg rape on two cars, etc. and I don't even drive either.
max225

On the flip side life is short... i mean look at this... random as dude eats a bat in china and someone in fucking bumfucknowhere USA loses a job making tires for airlines. Life comes are US ALL HARD BRO.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:15 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:00 pm
And look at the sales. It somehow manages to work.
It's also a well done vehicle.

Checks a lot of boxes for a lot of people, offered in several trim grades to accommodate basic bitch all the way to waxer, it's not too big, not too small (but it is pretty heavy).

I really like mine. Going to be sad to give it up when I hopefully come out the other side of this pandemic.
Deetz on giving up the GC when this is over... I don’t think Michelle cares about getting a brand new car, so that could be a solid used option for her.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:40 pm

speaking of :plac: :doomed: I wonder what he posted today.

Place your bets, stuck with the GTI or :plac: with Plac Profit?
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:40 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:46 pm

Each transaction is quite the :wasteful:

I am debating offing the Beemah post all of this... but the flip side is that it's a $15K car, I've already lit almost $10K on fire after tax, depreciation, modz, maintenance... and if I off I I'll inevitably get sick of DD in the C5 at some point. But currently I'm making a payment on it monthly, paying insurance on two cars, reg rape on two cars, etc. and I don't even drive either.
Beemah is a great reliable comfortable daily. Keep it.
max225

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

speaking of financial decisions, my friend offered to sell his exhaust off his car that I really liked last month, even for $400. It was a steal and I was ready to comfortably :troywax: but I thought well before I pulled my final plunge since I was aware of the corona. I also got off the phone from to my former boss att suggested me to don't spend on things you don't need right now. Along with my former coworker and couple more people. Fortunately I'm not in a risk yet, but better late than sorry. I'm glad I didn't pull the plunge solely based on the corona, since things are :thisisfine:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:54 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:49 pm speaking of financial decisions, my friend offered to sell his exhaust off his car that I really liked last month, even for $400. It was a steal and I was ready to comfortably :troywax: but I thought well before I pulled my final plunge since I was aware of the corona. I also got off the phone from to my former boss att suggested me to don't spend on things you don't need right now. Along with my former coworker and couple more people. Fortunately I'm not in a risk yet, but better late than sorry. I'm glad I didn't pull the plunge solely based on the corona, since things are :thisisfine:
I haven't spent a dime on anything other than filling my tank with gas and buying groceries since last Tuesday.

I'm in full bunker mode right now.
That's what everyone should be doing right now. I know some people are still forced to work in dealerships, like yeah it sure is a good time to get a new car. :yeahok:
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:49 pm speaking of financial decisions, my friend offered to sell his exhaust off his car that I really liked last month, even for $400. It was a steal and I was ready to comfortably :troywax: but I thought well before I pulled my final plunge since I was aware of the corona. I also got off the phone from to my former boss att suggested me to don't spend on things you don't need right now. Along with my former coworker and couple more people. Fortunately I'm not in a risk yet, but better late than sorry. I'm glad I didn't pull the plunge solely based on the corona, since things are :thisisfine:
I haven't spent a dime on anything other than filling my tank with gas and buying groceries since last Tuesday.

Well I bought set of tires and about to blow $250 on getting them installed and aligned tomorrow. 1/2 the cost of the fucking tires.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:58 pm

Well I bought set of tires and about to blow $250 on getting them installed and aligned tomorrow. 1/2 the cost of the fucking tires.
Isn't Commiefornia in lockdown right now?
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:44 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:53 pm

Deetz on giving up the GC when this is over... I don’t think Michelle cares about getting a brand new car, so that could be a solid used option for her.
It'll have low mileage, at least. Bought it with 15.3k, currently has 18.8k and isn't going up by a significant amount anytime soon.

Whatever I get next will be much cheaper and hopefully I'll be in a position to pay for most of it in cash.
Low-mid 30s selling target? Or trying to get some :plac: JKU profit out of it?
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Toyota-thon is on.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:59 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:58 pm

Yep, but car repair is deemed "essential" they are open for BIDNESS.
max225

razr390 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:59 pm Toyota-thon is on.
is it?
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:00 pm
razr390 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:59 pm Toyota-thon is on.
is it?
No.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:00 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:59 pm

Yep, but car repair is deemed "essential" they are open for BIDNESS.
:ohdang:

I have a friend from Turkey that lives in Palo Alto and booked a last minute flight to Turkey to be with his family, instead of being locked down. Along with one of my parents friends kid whose only in SF for college and now won't be back till august for his fall semester.