Griffdog House Search

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

For being such a hotbed of Nascar, Charlotte sure does hate the garage. I dunno Griff. What happened the reasons for "not skipping the garage, period." That carport is a pretty sorry substitute. You can't really do a bunch maintenance wise without being the scourge of the neighborhood. I understand compromises must be made, but....
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:22 pm For being such a hotbed of Nascar, Charlotte sure does hate the garage.
Another reason why I'd be looking at the feasibility of making that a double car garage with actual walls. There is real value to be gained.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I've seen it in my new neighborhood, homes with garage doors/walls are priced way higher then similar homes without. If the permit people in city hall say its doable I'd give that place a good look, otherwise my worthless vote is a :nope:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:53 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:44 pm

Old houses actually turn out great when renovated. I don't see how it is "scary"
I agree... :tits: man :wtf:

Oddly enough after looking at those houses today, she came back really feeling like we should get this one: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/711- ... 6783_zpid/

Which is old. It has a lot going for it IMO, definitely the best investment of the bunch, has by far the best property/land, best location as well... but dang man... dat carport doe. If she really wants to pull the trigger on this one I think I'm on board as I love the area and most everything else around it is $400K+.
:bruh:
Hang tough for a garage, as you said you would this morning.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:08 pm
D Griff wrote: I am simply not skipping the garage, period.
:wrong:
:dat:
:notsure:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:53 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:44 pm

Old houses actually turn out great when renovated. I don't see how it is "scary"
I agree... :tits: man :wtf:

Oddly enough after looking at those houses today, she came back really feeling like we should get this one: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/711- ... 6783_zpid/

Which is old. It has a lot going for it IMO, definitely the best investment of the bunch, has by far the best property/land, best location as well... but dang man... dat carport doe. If she really wants to pull the trigger on this one I think I'm on board as I love the area and most everything else around it is $400K+.
It looks like it has backyard access. HELOC a backyard man palace
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:22 pm For being such a hotbed of Nascar, Charlotte sure does hate the garage.
It's really due to the weather here... they were always a thing up north where winters are brutal... for whatever reason here, they appear to be seen as pointless until the mid-eighties. Trouble is we both pretty much hate mid-eighties/nineties homes.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:24 pm For being such a hotbed of Nascar, Charlotte sure does hate the garage. I dunno Griff. What happened the reasons for "not skipping the garage, period." That carport is a pretty sorry substitute. You can't really do a bunch maintenance wise without being the scourge of the neighborhood. I understand compromises must be made, but....
:iono: I love spending time outside and our weather here is :notbad: ... the carport thing would be insanely better than anything else I've ever had... def not ideal :doe:

Tough toss up between location and garage.
Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:23 am
It's really due to the weather here... they were always a thing up north where winters are brutal... for whatever reason here, they appear to be seen as pointless until the mid-eighties. Trouble is we both pretty much hate mid-eighties/nineties homes.
Bird poop, wind driven dust, rain, sun, the fucking elements bro. How did an entire city decide it was ok to have a street parking palooza?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:24 pm For being such a hotbed of Nascar, Charlotte sure does hate the garage. I dunno Griff. What happened the reasons for "not skipping the garage, period." That carport is a pretty sorry substitute. You can't really do a bunch maintenance wise without being the scourge of the neighborhood. I understand compromises must be made, but....
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

4zilch wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:57 pm
:dat: from an actual neighborhood carport dweller himself.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Just know that skipping the garage now most likely means skipping it forever. Most municipalities are ridiculously restrictive with what you can do regarding adding a garage. You can't go wider on that lot, so maybe behind...but that's where the city can go :triggered:

Plus, the cost.

$50-$70k with required driveway work...that's actual off of my 750sq ft garage.

I absolutely wouldn't skip this requirement. I don't even GAF about cars anymore and I couldn't handle my 2 car "shed" that I tore down. This will be a source of :haus: :plac: if you compromise IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

In4 :wrong: ... we bought that house: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/711- ... 6783_zpid/ (under contract).

It was really the only decent place we could afford in the area that's preferred. I think I'll actually enjoy the carport and it'll work for wrenching and such, but may add a garage or steel building later on, or could extend/enclose the carport.

This house has lots of epic things that I think are worth it:
-mountain biking trails in walking distance
-light rail to city in walking distance and only a few miles to downtown
-tons of nightlife, restaurants, auto parts store, pretty much everything crazy close
-epic yard
-plenty of storage for tools, bikes, etc.
-low maintenance/move in ready

Ultimately a house with a yard > townhouse for a lot of reasons and living in the sticks is not for me at this phase of life.

:wrong: :wrong: :wrong:
:wrong: :triggered: :wrong:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:07 am In4 :wrong: ... we bought that house: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/711- ... 6783_zpid/ (under contract).

It was really the only decent place we could afford in the area that's preferred. I think I'll actually enjoy the carport and it'll work for wrenching and such, but may add a garage or steel building later on, or could extend/enclose the carport.

-tons of nightlife, restaurants, auto parts store, pretty much everything crazy close
-epic yard

Ultimately a house with a yard > townhouse for a lot of reasons and living in the sticks is not for me at this phase of life.

Oh wow, that was fast.

I guess if it's what you want, it's what you want. I just think you'll really regret the garage (something I've compromised on every house until this one and regretted), but if everything else is epic :unicorn: then awesome!
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh

Gastropublife>cars
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:28 am Gastropublife>cars
Griff has made it clear that this isn't his priority. Cars are life. It's an interesting move that I suspect was all in favor of keeping :tits: happy. Which is fine, but I'm a bit concerned it'll result in :| or :haus: :plac: at the end.

I've moved 2 houses now in part because I hated the garages (both houses at least HAD garages), and when we bought our current house, I checked with the city and zoning for what I can do to build a garage before buying the house. For me, a garage isn't so much for car storage anymore, but things. And it's critical.

Jeeps, bikes, kayaks, camper, etc, etc. It's more than just a place to wrench IMO.

I wish Griff all the best in the new house. Location sounds fantastic, so at least there's that. I just think the priority shift will be tough...just more of the same, but more "stuck" because of mortgage and whatnot.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:35 am
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:28 am Gastropublife>cars
Griff has made it clear that this isn't his priority. Cars are life. It's an interesting move that I suspect was all in favor of keeping :tits: happy. Which is fine, but I'm a bit concerned it'll result in :| or :haus: :plac: at the end.

I've moved 2 houses now in part because I hated the garages (both houses at least HAD garages), and when we bought our current house, I checked with the city and zoning for what I can do to build a garage before buying the house. For me, a garage isn't so much for car storage anymore, but things. And it's critical.

Jeeps, bikes, kayaks, camper, etc, etc. It's more than just a place to wrench IMO.

I wish Griff all the best in the new house. Location sounds fantastic, so at least there's that. I just think the priority shift will be tough...just more of the same, but more "stuck" because of mortgage and whatnot.
:tits: satisfaction is obviously a priority as it's half hers and she's a helluva lot pickier about everything than I am. I DGAF about appliances, fixtures, wood paneling, etc. as long as things work. Cars are definitely a priority to me, clearly... I'm one of the few guys on DFD keeping a fun car, standing by loving manuals, etc. but this will still be far and away better than any type of setup I've ever had in my life. The budget is what it is... I don't want to spend all of my money on a house as I value other things much more.

Maybe I'll be :rage: in a year about the garage thing, who knows. I don't think I will though.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:07 am In4 :wrong: ... we bought that house: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/711- ... 6783_zpid/ (under contract).

-epic yard

You could have done a lot worse. Congrats
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:53 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:35 am

:tits: satisfaction is obviously a priority as it's half hers and she's a helluva lot pickier about everything than I am. I DGAF about appliances, fixtures, wood paneling, etc. as long as things work. Cars are definitely a priority to me, clearly... I'm one of the few guys on DFD keeping a fun car, standing by loving manuals, etc. but this will still be far and away better than any type of setup I've ever had in my life. The budget is what it is... I don't want to spend all of my money on a house as I value other things much more.

Maybe I'll be :rage: in a year about the garage thing, who knows. I don't think I will though.
Sorry bro, I'm not following. Outside from an apartment parking garage, I don't see how this is an improvement for the car situation. Still a single driveway with a single carport. Even just day-to-day with 3 cars, the car shuffle will get old fast. It was a big reason I barely drove the Corvette this year because when it's the 3rd vehicle in the driveway and the other two need to move out of the way to get to it, it's more likely you'll just say fuck it and drive the boring car. Nowhere to really store anything car related near where the car lives, so wheeling tools/parts/etc out all the time is prohibitive to enjoying regular wrenching.

But maybe you'll see the light like the rest of us and focus more on bike riding and city life whatnot. Have you heard about our lord and savior :jeep: ?
Apex
Drives: Abominable

:nice: Griffdawg.

:haus: is :neat:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:07 pm :nice: Griffdawg.

:haus: is :neat:
Agreed. It does look pretty :neat: . Yard indeed looks epic, I love the space from other houses.

Location really is #1 IMO, and it sounds like you scored well there.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:05 pm

Sorry bro, I'm not following. Outside from an apartment parking garage, I don't see how this is an improvement for the car situation. Still a single driveway with a single carport. Even just day-to-day with 3 cars, the car shuffle will get old fast. It was a big reason I barely drove the Corvette this year because when it's the 3rd vehicle in the driveway and the other two need to move out of the way to get to it, it's more likely you'll just say fuck it and drive the boring car. Nowhere to really store anything car related near where the car lives, so wheeling tools/parts/etc out all the time is prohibitive to enjoying regular wrenching.

But maybe you'll see the light like the rest of us and focus more on bike riding and city life whatnot. Have you heard about our lord and savior :jeep: ?
Have some little shelve/outdoor mini shed units that will go right in the port that will hold tools and stuff, can park right there and work on stuff. I'll likely just park the BMW on the street as it's a dead end road which won't see any traffic. I don't care too much about car storage indoors, maybe because I've never had it? The whole garage desire was to simply have a place to wrench, admittedly a garage is better than a carport but it'll work just fine. :wrong:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Still a single driveway with a single carport. Even just day-to-day with 3 cars, the car shuffle will get old fast.

Nowhere to really store anything car related near where the car lives, so wheeling tools/parts/etc out all the time is prohibitive to enjoying regular wrenching.
:dat: was my :rage: . The endless shuffle.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:21 pm

Have some little shelve/outdoor mini shed units that will go right in the port that will hold tools and stuff, can park right there and work on stuff. I'll likely just park the BMW on the street as it's a dead end road which won't see any traffic. I don't care too much about car storage indoors, maybe because I've never had it? The whole garage desire was to simply have a place to wrench, admittedly a garage is better than a carport but it'll work just fine. :wrong:
Car in the street helps big time IMO. I HATE parking on the street, so I'm a bit different in my priorities there.

Hopefully will work out 5/7 for you man. Everything else seems to be there with this thing, so that's what matters most I guess. Seems like this is 90% of the way to a perfect house, just sucks that the last 10% is the critical one for you. I just hate seeing a brother compromise...especially since I have so many times on the same exact feature.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:29 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:21 pm

Car in the street helps big time IMO. I HATE parking on the street, so I'm a bit different in my priorities there.

Hopefully will work out 5/7 for you man. Everything else seems to be there with this thing, so that's what matters most I guess. Seems like this is 90% of the way to a perfect house, just sucks that the last 10% is the critical one for you. I just hate seeing a brother compromise...especially since I have so many times on the same exact feature.
I'm excited about it, walking distance to friends as well as MTB trails is pretty epic for me, especially since I'll be WFH going forward. I look forward to working on the car in the port, we shall see if :disappoint: ensues. If so I think I'll just plop the steel building garage out back for $7K and call it a day. As for the street parking, :aintcare: as it's a low risk dead end street and the car is insured. :poorvette: will live in the carport.