Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

coogles wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:50 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:08 pm I absolutely love my cam/heads car. Especially with 4.10 gears, it's an absolute riot. Glad someone else has experienced a cammed C5 and the :lolol: they can bring.

It is a lot of car :doe:
It is a LOT of car, that's for sure. I could see something like that and something like a Miata being of equal value in someone's garage depending on the road and the mood.
:wat: is the Miata for?

Honestly, I think the C5 is the perfect all arounder.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:08 pm
I absolutely love my cam/heads car. Especially with 4.10 gears, it's an absolute riot. Glad someone else has experienced a cammed C5 and the :lolol: they can bring.

It is a lot of car :doe:
I think I'll be heading up to Detroit in the Spring, hopefully we can :meat: up and you still have the :poorvette: I'd love to experience the real powah.
I've got the car down to 16,5 with ZERO interest. It's worthless, so I'll have it in the spring. Just let me know! Once you drive a cammed/4.10 C5, it's game over.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:15 pm

I think I'll be heading up to Detroit in the Spring, hopefully we can :meat: up and you still have the :poorvette: I'd love to experience the real powah.
I've got the car down to 16,5 with ZERO interest. It's worthless, so I'll have it in the spring. Just let me know! Once you drive a cammed/4.10 C5, it's game over.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:39 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:35 pm

So, an S2000, Miata, or Fiero?
1987 - 1992 Fox body Mudstain. Mod it and hoon it. I had a lot of fun in my '88 when it was new.
At this point, it's becoming more and more difficult to find one that has only received light hoonings.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:55 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:39 pm

1987 - 1992 Fox body Mudstain. Mod it and hoon it. I had a lot of fun in my '88 when it was new.
At this point, it's becoming more and more difficult to find one that has only received light hoonings.
That is true, and a very clean example that is stock costs more than what I paid new.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:word: I’ll discuss with my buddy, we’re just going up for a fun trip, maybe May? When is shit weather guaranteed to be over?
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:27 am
:word: I’ll discuss with my buddy, we’re just going up for a fun trip, maybe May? When is shit weather guaranteed to be over?
May...later in the month.

Late September/early October is the best time in this state IMO.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:13 pm :wat: is the Miata for?

I think on the kinds of roads you find in southern Indiana, that C5 would be way too much car. Something with under 300hp and a smaller footprint would be quite a bit more enjoyable in a setting with tight switchbacks running through the woods with max speeds of 60mph. Just my opinion, of course.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:05 am

I think on the kinds of roads you find in southern Indiana, that C5 would be way too much car. Something with under 300hp and a smaller footprint would be quite a bit more enjoyable in a setting with tight switchbacks running through the woods with max speeds of 60mph. Just my opinion, of course.
Perhaps.

A stock C5 with nothing more than 4.10 gears would be a ton of fun in twisties. The car is bigger than a Miata, but everything is. It's still a decent size...I think the low/flat position makes it feel a bit bigger than it is. Once you get used to it, the car "shrinks" quite a bit.

I just don't "get" Miatas. I'd actually rather hoon a Mini.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

128i?

I can see where you're coming from the C5 can feel pretty wide at times, but they don't have tons of power down low and the curve is very linear so if you have throttle discipline you'd be just fine.
Last edited by CaleDeRoo on Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:11 am 128i?
Haven't driven one, but it just doesn't seem like it'd offer a different enough experience from the GTI to be worthwhile as a 3rd car. Don't think I'll be doing anything, really just a thought experiment anyway.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I dunno man, everyone has their different feels, but having owned an NA and a C5 nd driven both on the Tail of the Dragon which is a very tight road, the C5 is waaaay better. I'd say on the tail [user not found]'s modded NC is equal fun to the 'vette, the NA is fun but far inferior. Corvettes are one of those illustrious cars that seem to shrink as you get into the twisties. The power is :lolol: muscle car in a straight line, sure, but the chassis/handling are truly what make the car great. Smaller steering wheel/alignment goes a long way to making the steering great, best of any car I've owned.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:11 am

128i?
Maybe in M Sport with :manuel: they're better but I reted one in LA and took it on Angeles Crest and it was, well... boring. BMW hasn't been the ultimate driving machine in a loooooonnnng time.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:16 am

I dunno man, everyone has their different feels, but having owned an NA and a C5 nd driven both on the Tail of the Dragon which is a very tight road, the C5 is waaaay better. I'd say on the tail [user not found]'s modded NC is equal fun to the 'vette, the NA is fun but far inferior. Corvettes are one of those illustrious cars that seem to shrink as you get into the twisties. The power is :lolol: muscle car in a straight line, sure, but the chassis/handling are truly what make the car great. Smaller steering wheel/alignment goes a long way to making the steering great, best of any car I've owned.
Wish I could get a smaller wheel workout spending a fortune or losing the airbag
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:18 am

Wish I could get a smaller wheel workout spending a fortune or losing the airbag
Yeah the airbag thing... can't help you there, but the cost isn't bad. I got a hub adapter kit for like $90. Admittedly I already had the MOMO but I think you can get one for $200 or less, so under $300 all in. The install kind of sucks but it's one of the better C5 mods I've done.
ChrisoftheNorth

:dat: :dat:

It's amazing how the smaller steering wheel transforms the steering feel. That combined with my retuned power steering pump for more effort, really rivals any vehicle I've driven, including Porsches :triggered:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:17 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:11 am

128i?
Maybe in M Sport with :manuel: they're better but I reted one in LA and took it on Angeles Crest and it was, well... boring. BMW hasn't been the ultimate driving machine in a loooooonnnng time.
Gotcha I've never driven one either I was just thinking of the potentially useable back seat.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:20 am

Yeah the airbag thing... can't help you there, but the cost isn't bad. I got a hub adapter kit for like $90. Admittedly I already had the MOMO but I think you can get one for $200 or less, so under $300 all in. The install kind of sucks but it's one of the better C5 mods I've done.
Yea, I bought the cheapest, simplest Momo I could find...Monte Carlo I think? Under $200. 350mm size is perfect.

I've spent years driving cars without airbags (built before airbags were a thing) and I haven't died. I don't see how that's any different than driving my C5 without an airbag. Seatbelts are what's key.

Do you not buy older cars due to lack of airbag?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Also FWIW a C5 is only 10% heavier than an NC with 100% more powah stock and all for the same price :notsure:

That being said, they really "need" a few mods to make them great - alignment, exhaust, steering wheel, skip shift eliminator are pretty much musts. 4.10s are cool as hell, as is a square tire setup.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I had a non airbag OEM Subaru Nardi wheel to swap into my Legacy but then I was hit head on in my Grand Marquis and noped that wheel to someone else. Fucking GM and their bus steering wheel :lolol:
Last edited by CaleDeRoo on Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:21 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:17 am

Gotcha I've never driven one either I was just thinking of the potentially useable back seat.
:dat:

They are a pretty perfect size, IMO. I drove a modded 135i :manuel: (HBGraves who used to be a member here) and it was :tits: .
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:23 am

Yea, I bought the cheapest, simplest Momo I could find...Monte Carlo I think? Under $200. 350mm size is perfect.

I've spent years driving cars without airbags (built before airbags were a thing) and I haven't died. I don't see how that's any different than driving my C5 without an airbag. Seatbelts are what's key.

I think I have the Monte Carlo as well... also FWIW I've had it for like 6-7 years in two different cars and it still looks brand new.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:25 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:23 am

I think I have the Monte Carlo as well... also FWIW I've had it for like 6-7 years in two different cars and it still looks brand new.
Mine is 3 years old I think and still looks new.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:08 am
Huckleberry wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:55 am

That is true, and a very clean example that is stock costs more than what I paid new.
Indeed. To add to the absurdity, non-89 T/A 3rd Gen F-Body prices have shot up out of nowhere. What used to be a $500 car is now a $5000 car, and if it has been washed in the last 6 years, it has a 5 digit price tag.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:44 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:08 am

Indeed. To add to the absurdity, non-89 T/A 3rd Gen F-Body prices have shot up out of nowhere. What used to be a $500 car is now a $5000 car, and if it has been washed in the last 6 years, it has a 5 digit price tag.
80's cars seem to be so hot right now. Especially since there's so few nice ones left.

I'm somewhat hoping this happens with C5s in 15 years.