Dramatic Downsizing - Dafuq Do I Doit?

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

razr390 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:31 pm According to the interwebs the garaj mahal is 864 sq ft. That's fucking awesome. I actually kind of :dislike: the kitchen and bath choices (giant bathroom with a tiny sink/mirror with almost no counter space? Closing off the kitchen to make it so only 1 person at a time can stand in it?), but whatever.

We're probably buying the fucker anyway. Who's ready for $10000 in garage furniture plus storage plus heating plus $10000+ in a winter companion for the :wankel: plus another $10000 in additional utility/maintenance costs. Fuck retiring, I want to work forever. Working is the best!
You blow things out of proportion. Just take it day by day and it’ll be okay. Whoosa
Yeah, being forward-looking is dumb. YOLO BRO
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

troyguitar wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:40 pm
razr390 wrote:
You blow things out of proportion. Just take it day by day and it’ll be okay. Whoosa
Yeah, being forward-looking is dumb. YOLO BRO
Be realistic but also understand that there is opportunity cost in everything you do.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

troyguitar wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:31 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:21 pm The garage has good depth too the street view photo shows a fullsize GM SUV and fullsize truck in the garage. The master bath is fucking mint too as is the kitchen. I love it even more now.
According to the interwebs the garaj mahal is 864 sq ft. That's fucking awesome. I actually kind of :dislike: the kitchen and bath choices (giant bathroom with a tiny sink/mirror with almost no counter space? Closing off the kitchen to make it so only 1 person at a time can stand in it?), but whatever.

We're probably buying the fucker anyway. Who's ready for $10000 in garage furniture plus storage plus heating plus $10000+ in a winter companion for the :wankel: plus another $10000 in additional utility/maintenance costs. Fuck retiring, I want to work forever. Working is the best!
Or you could move to a shithole guadalupe country like some retirees do on HGTV. With a mansion that runs into $130k or so
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Troy, what work do you do now and are there those opportunities in Cornhole? Sounds like settling on where to live will be a tough decision. GLWT
troyguitar

Tarspin wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:42 pm Troy, what work do you do now and are there those opportunities in Cornhole? Sounds like settling on where to live will be a tough decision. GLWT
I do :derp: front end web stuff for peanuts, the most likely path forward from Corning is to switch to more involved back end stuff and get a junior dev position with a bigger company at an NYC-area office - then rent a studio there and commute 4 hrs each way on the weekends long enough to establish credibility and switch back to working remotely for a decent salary. There are no local opportunities.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

troyguitar wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:32 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:42 pm Troy, what work do you do now and are there those opportunities in Cornhole? Sounds like settling on where to live will be a tough decision. GLWT
I do :derp: front end web stuff for peanuts, the most likely path forward from Corning is to switch to more involved back end stuff and get a junior dev position with a bigger company at an NYC-area office - then rent a studio there and commute 4 hrs each way on the weekends long enough to establish credibility and switch back to working remotely for a decent salary. There are no local opportunities.
Know what you mean man, it's not really a tech town so that's going to be interesting. You'll at least have lots of free time to do shit around the house if things start out slow. I'd rather put the resources to good use and get additional online speciality courses in to hone in on a skull set you can apply remotely to the NY crowd. I get keeping the cost of living down in thay scenario. I'm with you on keeping overhead to a minimum.

I'm an optimist and would be looking at services needed locally, maybe start a catering company for corporate needs and build sandwiches or some shit for a few extra bucks. A big kitchen can offer that option (in my case not suggesting its what you want to do.

I really do like that big lot/triple car place doe. Hope the answer comes to you.
razr390

you need to work for a company to establish your creds. Freelance shit won't do much but pay the rent. You should be more forward-minded.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
troyguitar

razr390 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:07 pm

you need to work for a company to establish your creds. Freelance shit won't do much but pay the rent. You should be more forward-minded.
That's what I just wrote... The best career opportunities will likely involve spending 3+ days a week in NYC for a number of months/years which means not having much time to work on a stupid yard, hence the aversion to committing myself to blowing many hours a week on :manuel: labor.
razr390

troyguitar wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:14 pm
razr390 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:07 pm

That's what I just wrote... The best career opportunities will likely involve spending 3+ days a week in NYC for a number of months/years which means not having much time to work on a stupid yard, hence the aversion to committing myself to blowing many hours a week on :manuel: labor.
Send me your resume. I can try to see if there's anything remotely relevant around my neck of the woods. Alternatively, have you considered companies like Cognizant? They hire a lot of consultants for client based jobs, some of which are remote and only require site visits sporadically. PM'd you my e-mail.
troyguitar

razr390 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:16 pm
troyguitar wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:14 pm

Send me your resume. I can try to see if there's anything remotely relevant around my neck of the woods. Alternatively, have you considered companies like Cognizant? They hire a lot of consultants for client based jobs, some of which are remote and only require site visits sporadically. PM'd you my e-mail.
Cognizant/GA jobs and their "bootcamp" type thing in NYC are on my list of things to check out for sure.

https://learn.generalassemb.ly/software ... celerator/

It'll still be some time before I'm ready to start throwing applications/resume's around, but if the DC area becomes an option I'll get in touch for sure. The closest big metro area to me up there is actually Toronto, then NYC, Philly, Pittsburgh, and finally DC at over 5 hrs and Boston at almost 6. Pittsburgh might be the smartest since traffic and cost of rent is the best, but opportunities are also fewer there. Google has a Pittsburgh office though.
razr390

troyguitar wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:52 pm
razr390 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:16 pm

Cognizant/GA jobs and their "bootcamp" type thing in NYC are on my list of things to check out for sure.

https://learn.generalassemb.ly/software ... celerator/

It'll still be some time before I'm ready to start throwing applications/resume's around, but if the DC area becomes an option I'll get in touch for sure. The closest big metro area to me up there is actually Toronto, then NYC, Philly, Pittsburgh, and finally DC at over 5 hrs and Boston at almost 6. Pittsburgh might be the smartest since traffic and cost of rent is the best, but opportunities are also fewer there. Google has a Pittsburgh office though.
Send me your resume regardless. I have a decent network and I can get some eyes on it and give you feedback/suggestions.

ALSO, my former AVP of Corporate Security is now at Cognizant running Global Security Investigations. He will have answers to your questions if you want to get me any.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

troyguitar wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:13 am Now she wants this place:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/580- ... lpage=true

:wtf:
Days on Zillow
307 Days

its clearly priced too high.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

hitting this again. This is a no from me. It's all cheap finished, way too much space for 2 people, and fuck everything about that yard. Also, skylights on shingle roofs. :nope: The kitchen is all kinds of :wtf:

And I reiterate, 307 days on zillow, there is a reason it isn't selling.
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

Big Brain Bradley wrote:

hitting this again. This is a no from me. It's all cheap finished, way too much space for 2 people, and fuck everything about that yard. Also, skylights on shingle roofs. :nope: The kitchen is all kinds of :wtf:

Nothing sells up there, nobody has any money to pay the damn taxes. Our other favorites have been on sale since 12/12/17 and 12/1/17. The market up there does not operate like the market anywhere else.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:55 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote:

Nothing sells up there, nobody has any money to pay the damn taxes. Our other favorites have been on sale since 12/12/17 and 12/1/17. The market up there does not operate like the market anywhere else.
all the more reason it would seem to give you the evidence that

its a bad fucking idea to buy a house up there
brain go brrrrrr
razr390

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:58 am
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:55 am Nothing sells up there, nobody has any money to pay the damn taxes. Our other favorites have been on sale since 12/12/17 and 12/1/17. The market up there does not operate like the market anywhere else.

:notwrong:
razr390

Troy. Rent for first year. See if you guys see yourself staying there beyond that (lady or you may hate it and decide to laterally go elsewhere). If you guys like it after 1 year, then buy if you need to.
troyguitar

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:55 am Nothing sells up there, nobody has any money to pay the damn taxes. Our other favorites have been on sale since 12/12/17 and 12/1/17. The market up there does not operate like the market anywhere else.

It doesn't cost any less to do that. Renting means paying near NYC rent prices for POS places thanks to those same taxes - and at this point probably paying for storage units because I'm running out of time to liquidate all of my shit.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:01 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote:

It doesn't cost any less to do that. Renting means paying near NYC rent prices for POS places thanks to those same taxes - and at this point probably paying for storage units because I'm running out of time to liquidate all of my shit.
:bruh:

if you cant sell the house later on when you need to move again in 4-5 years (as you seems to do despite the long terms ness they are promising now) then it absolutely will cost you more to be paying the fucking note on an empty ass house AND paying rent.

I'm going on record saying this is a bad financial AND life happiness move for you so you cant even claim :mahtroy: luck later when it backfires on you because nearly everyone on here is telling you it's a bad idea.
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:01 am It doesn't cost any less to do that. Renting means paying near NYC rent prices for POS places thanks to those same taxes - and at this point probably paying for storage units because I'm running out of time to liquidate all of my shit.

if you cant sell the house later on when you need to move again in 4-5 years (as you seems to do despite the long terms ness they are promising now) then it absolutely will cast you more to be paying the fucking note on an empty ass house AND paying rent.
You can sell if you don't try to make any money on it. My models assume that we sell the house for exactly what we paid for it regardless of duration of ownershit - that's realistic for the market up there. People with stuff on the market for a year are all thinking that their homes have appreciated and are asking too much.

That 3-car place for example was bought for $166k in 2/2016 after sitting for months with a $189k asking price, then they turned around and asked for $209k in 3/2018... Of course it's still for sale. It's worth maybe $172k now. Homes don't appreciate up there.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:16 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote:

if you cant sell the house later on when you need to move again in 4-5 years (as you seems to do despite the long terms ness they are promising now) then it absolutely will cast you more to be paying the fucking note on an empty ass house AND paying rent.
You can sell if you don't try to make any money on it. My models assume that we sell the house for exactly what we paid for it regardless of duration of ownershit - that's realistic for the market up there. People with stuff on the market for a year are all thinking that their homes have appreciated and are asking too much.

That 3-car place for example was bought for $166k in 2/2016 after sitting for months with a $189k asking price, then they turned around and asked for $209k in 3/2018... Of course it's still for sale. It's worth maybe $172k now. Homes don't appreciate up there.
yea but YOU can't buy it at 166-170k k because they won't sell it for that. So if you buy that, you are negative from day fucking one. Your models account for that level of silliness?
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:16 am You can sell if you don't try to make any money on it. My models assume that we sell the house for exactly what we paid for it regardless of duration of ownershit - that's realistic for the market up there. People with stuff on the market for a year are all thinking that their homes have appreciated and are asking too much.

yea but YOU can't buy it at 166-170k k because they won't sell it for that. So if you buy that, you are negative from day fucking one. Your models account for that level of silliness?
Oh fuck their asking prices. If they won't sell for a reasonable amount then they can keep sitting on it. History seems to show that the sellers eventually come around to reality up there.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:27 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
Oh fuck their asking prices. If they won't sell for a reasonable amount then they can keep sitting on it. History seems to show that the sellers eventually come around to reality up there.
Still a bad idea.

When your wife gets the ax in the coming downturn you will have dumped your equity into a place that you cannot sell, and suddenly cannot pay the note on. That equity will evaporate when the bank takes back their house.

Question: does a 15 year make the math any better? can you afford a 15 year note?
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

15 year is worse unless you assume an extended recession without a job loss - i.e. the house depreciates less than other investments yet you can still make the payments. Throwing extra money at a low interest loan on a depreciating asset isn't helpful.
razr390

All signs are pointing to not buying a house and you tell yourself you keep making life's worst decisions. This is one of them, in my opinion. House is not an investment there. Rent at $1200 for a 1/1 is NOT NYC rent pricing. I have friends that live in NYC they pay $2,600 for a 500sq.ft studio.