Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Rent a paint sprayer if you have space, brushing will take forever.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:46 am Rent a paint sprayer if you have space, brushing will take forever.
I do have space in most areas but some parts are behind bushes so :notsure: how that will work. Plus I'd be concerned about over spray getting on the clapboards and sidewalks/driveway around the :haus: Also, most of the foundation walls are only 2-4 ft high so we're not talking that much surface area. Still think a sprayer is worth it?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar

Probably not, the extra prep time for masking and getting, setting up, returning the sprayer might make it a wash. 2-4 feet is enough to use a big roller for 90% of it :doe: and only brush the edges.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:06 pm Probably not, the extra prep time for masking and getting, setting up, returning the sprayer might make it a wash. 2-4 feet is enough to use a big roller for 90% of it :doe: and only brush the edges.
Yea, maybe I'll look for a roller with an extra thick nap.
troyguitar

Roller with a long handle and 120ish degree bend so you can stand up straight. Fuck having to kneel the whole time.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:22 pm Roller with a long handle and 120ish degree bend so you can stand up straight. Fuck having to kneel the whole time.
Original plan was to use my rolling stool so I can :scoot: along the wall as I painted.
I have one of these:

Any input on the efflorescence/mortar patching?
troyguitar

:notbad: if you have smooth enough terrain. :scoot: :scoot: :scoot:

I don't know anything about stone/concrete/masonry, ask Zilch or :waxer:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:30 pm :notbad: if you have smooth enough terrain. :scoot: :scoot: :scoot:

Don't ask Zill0n though, he'll just tell you to bury it in river rock so you can't see the foundation anymore. Out of sight, out of mind, unless it's mud behind a taillight.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:30 pm :notbad: if you have smooth enough terrain. :scoot: :scoot: :scoot:

Yea it's paved all around the :haus:
wap

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:37 pm

Don't ask Zill0n though, he'll just tell you to bury it in river rock so you can't see the foundation anymore. Out of sight, out of mind, unless it's mud behind a taillight.
:dat: :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I bought an electric paint sprayer at harbor freight three years ago when we moved into this house to paint the basement rafters. It was $25 or something and it has come in handy for projects like this time and time again. It incredible for small jobs.

I think you've got the right plan of attack.with the pressure washer. You should be fine with concrete patch as long as the cracks/ holes don't go too deep.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Also keep in mind that efflorescence is normal and doesn't really hurt anything other than being ugly.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:52 am I bought an electric paint sprayer at harbor freight three years ago when we moved into this house to paint the basement rafters. It was $25 or something and it has come in handy for projects like this time and time again. It incredible for small jobs.

I think you've got the right plan of attack.with the pressure washer. You should be fine with concrete patch as long as the cracks/ holes don't go too deep.
I love my airless. Even though I only bust it out every few years, it was a good purchase.

Staining my fence with a pump sprayer and a brush took 2 hours for 2 sections to make it look good. Then I busted out the airless and had 4 sections done in 15 minutes... even behind the bushes and with only 18" between the fence and the shed.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Pinshitters... any suggestions on how to fix this? The faucet ripped out of the shitty plywood and now there is nothing to screw it in to.

Options I know of:

Cut out rectangular piece and drill new hole for the pipe in a new replacement rectangular piece, glue it in, screw faucet to that.

Make some small wooden rectangles to screw in to that wood, perpendicular to the ground on either side of the pipe, screw faucet to those (would look ghetto).

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

D Griff wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:04 pm Pinshitters... any suggestions on how to fix this? The faucet ripped out of the shitty plywood and now there is nothing to screw it in to.

Options I know of:

Cut out rectangular piece and drill new hole for the pipe in a new replacement rectangular piece, glue it in, screw faucet to that.

Make some small wooden rectangles to screw in to that wood, perpendicular to the ground on either side of the pipe, screw faucet to those (would look ghetto).

Upon reflection, I think a thin metal plate will be the way to go, so everything is still flush with the :house: wall. :notbad: . Of course, my drill is back at the Bang Bus in Chicago, I guess I can either buy a new drill or wait until next weekend.
wap

D Griff wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:04 pm Pinshitters... any suggestions on how to fix this? The faucet ripped out of the shitty plywood and now there is nothing to screw it in to.

Options I know of:

Is that wood always exposed like that or do you have a piece of siding to cover it?
wap

Detroit wrote:I bought an electric paint sprayer at harbor freight three years ago when we moved into this house to paint the basement rafters. It was $25 or something and it has come in handy for projects like this time and time again. It incredible for small jobs.

Thanks for the input. The pressure washer removed a LOT of paint, which is good, I guess. Then I went over everything with a scraper and a wire brush and removed more. Then I had the bright idea to hit the wall with my big leaf blower and that loosened up even more paint and mortar. This is what I ended up with. :disgust:

Sent from my toaster using Crapatalk
wap

Spent another hour or so hitting up holes and cracks with concrete patch. Fortunately none of the holes or cracks were deep. I used up about a quart of patch on this wall. I was 5 hours in at this point and had to stop anyway so I ran to the paint store but got there with only 3 minutes to spare so they couldn't match and mix my paint. (I brought a big piece of paint that peeled off). They said they'll mix me 2 gallons when they open at 9:00 tomorrow morning so I'll grab them then. Game plan tomorrow is to get the paint, throw on one coat then do another area of foundation that is just cinder blocks that has no paint peeling then back to the area in the pic above then back to the cinder blocks. Weather permitting, but it's supposed to be nice tomorrow.

And, in case anyone is wondering, the cinder block foundation is on the south side of the house that used to be an open porch but was enclosed 56 years ago and the former porch is now our dinette. So this foundation is exactly half the age of the rest of the house. :lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:11 pm

Options I know of:

Is that wood always exposed like that or do you have a piece of siding to cover it?
There's a siding cutout piece for it that I pulled out.
wap

D Griff wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:14 pm
wap wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:11 pm

So your second solution option would be hidden behind the cutout piece then? So how would that look ghetto? Cause that seems like a good, easy solution. Unless I'm missing something...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:24 pm
D Griff wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:14 pm

So your second solution option would be hidden behind the cutout piece then? So how would that look ghetto? Cause that seems like a good, easy solution. Unless I'm missing something...
Well the siding piece sits flush against the plywood, so I can't really add wood behind it, that's the tricky part. I'm going to try to use a thin metal plate, should work.
wap

D Griff wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:03 pm
wap wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:24 pm

Well the siding piece sits flush against the plywood, so I can't really add wood behind it, that's the tricky part. I'm going to try to use a thin metal plate, should work.
Got it.
:notbad:
wap

wap wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:27 pm Spent another hour or so hitting up holes and cracks with concrete patch. Fortunately none of the holes or cracks were deep. I used up about a quart of patch on this wall. I was 5 hours in at this point and had to stop anyway so I ran to the paint store but got there with only 3 minutes to spare so they couldn't match and mix my paint. (I brought a big piece of paint that peeled off). They said they'll mix me 2 gallons when they open at 9:00 tomorrow morning so I'll grab them then. Game plan tomorrow is to get the paint, throw on one coat then do another area of foundation that is just cinder blocks that has no paint peeling then back to the area in the pic above then back to the cinder blocks. Weather permitting, but it's supposed to be nice tomorrow.

And, in case anyone is wondering, the cinder block foundation is on the south side of the house that used to be an open porch but was enclosed 56 years ago and the former porch is now our dinette. So this foundation is exactly half the age of the rest of the house. :lol:
Woke up this morning expecting to run to the paint store, pick up the paint, then come back and spend the afternoon painting. :nope: Checked my work from yesterday and found a few more spots that needed concrete patch. Ran out and came back with 2 cans of :waxer: paint ($130 total after a $30 rebate). Patched the areas I found earlier and found almost another dozen spots that I missed yesterday. :disappoint: I thought I was being careful yesterday but I guess not. My gas meter is on this wall so I spent some time sanding rust spots from the gas pipes and got a coat of paint on them at least. Then it started to rain late in the afternoon when none was forecast. :wtf: I guess it was good that I didn't paint the wall today. But now I've got to clean it again though I probably won't power wash it. I may just wipe it down with a damp rag to get dust and shit off of it then hit it with the leaf blower. But I'm going somewhere after work tomorrow so the earliest I can work on it again is Tuesday after work, weather permitting. Oh well, at least I can now be fairly certain it is as prepped as it can be. Meanwhile it looks like shit.
:disappoint:
wap

Current condition.

Sent from my toaster using Crapatalk

troyguitar

Bright red spray paint with some inspirational words along there like "Live Laugh Love" and "If you ain't first, you're last"

Done.