OT 11: Troyway to Heaven

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:48 pm Sounds good. Continue harping on the drawbacks of a place that you don't live and stay blind to the benefits. There are pluses and minuses to anywhere, and it's really all dependent on what you want out of where you live. There are things I enjoy about the city and things I don't. Equally, there are things I enjoy about suburbs and some things that I really don't like. To each their own. But for my personal situation, the extra 10 minutes spent at the grocery store is made up for in one day by having a commute round trip that is on the average 45 minutes shorter than it would be in a decent suburb.
I get what he's saying to a degree...no idea exactly where he lives, but I'm guessing it's not on the outskirts of a real city like Philly, or even one pretending to be like Indianapolis. It's apples and oranges comparing a small town where everything is convenient even living in the sticks versus a metro with 1.8 million people like Indy or however many live around Philly. If you live in the 'burbs here, it's a minimum 1hr commute downtown. Traffic in the burbs is ridiculous because everyone drives everywhere and you have no choice but to get in the car because the nearest grocery store is 4 miles away or whatever. Traffic is actually lighter here in the city, I don't have to fight for parking to go to Target or Lowe's or Fresh Thyme or anywhere else, unless it's one of the actual urban nightlife districts. But then I just take an Uber, or the bus, or I ride my bike, then :whocares: about parking? I always chuckle a little at my friends' $50 Uber rides at the end of the night as they head back to their wonderful suburban abodes in Carmel. :lol: Have fun, I'm going to walk 4 blocks home, have a good night.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

wap wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:02 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:50 pm

I really love that this shit is happening.

Shows getting axed all over the place like House of Cards (great name for this whole thing), careers being ruined. All by the people that think they are the moral compass for the free world and want to tell everyone what they should think about politics and the world.

uh, yeah.

:hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue:
The one sad thing about shows getting cancelled is that a shit ton of people are now out of work because of one assholes shitty behavior. Doesn't seem fair. They should just write out his character and bring in another actor to play a replacement character.
Yeah, I will agree, especially for the crew and people that aren't getting paid insane numbers for being on camera. But for all the talking heads propping up the industry and coming out later with comments like "we know you, and knew what you were doing!" down with them all.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:02 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:59 pm

You're the one peddling delusions/lies about city life in order to rationalize it or show how much better your ideas are than mine. The fact is that most tasks take more time and are less convenient to accomplish in a city. There are other benefits that might make up for it, but you've gotta be OK with dealing with lots of other people in your way lots of the time.

I tried it. I've spent time in Boston, NYC, Philly, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Louisville, Seattle. They're all like that. Occasionally you might find that a few specific trips done at very specific times might be able to be done more quickly than in a good suburb, but on average suburb lyfe is less time-consuming (and less money-consuming). Sure, you also have fewer options for shit to do or people to fuck... but that wasn't the point. This wasn't a general "city vs suburb" battle - you're the only person trying to make it about that. It's always about that with you. You can't seem to stick to the topic at hand.
I think this boils down simply to two groups of people. Those that like living in the city and those that do not.

You and I both appear to fall into the latter group, while Johnny is in the former.
That's the larger battle which this was NOT about but Johnny always brings up. Anything negative about cities brings him into full :triggered: MUST DEFEND MY CITY AND MY LIFE CHOICES AT ALL COSTS mode.

I was stating a simple fact: It's quicker and easier to do most things most of the time in the suburbs.

That's it.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:05 pm

I think this boils down simply to two groups of people. Those that like living in the city and those that do not.

You and I both appear to fall into the latter group, while Johnny is in the former.
That's the larger battle which this was NOT about but Johnny always brings up. Anything negative about cities brings him into full :triggered: MUST DEFEND MY CITY AND MY LIFE CHOICES AT ALL COSTS mode.

I was stating a simple fact: It's quicker and easier to do most things most of the time in the suburbs.

That's it.
Agreed, and cleaner too.

I don't feel like I need a shower after going to the grocery store here. :lol:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:59 pm You're the one peddling delusions/lies about city life in order to rationalize it or show how much better your ideas are than mine. The fact is that most tasks take more time and are less convenient to accomplish in a city. There are other benefits that might make up for it, but you've gotta be OK with dealing with lots of other people in your way lots of the time.

I tried it. I've spent time in Boston, NYC, Philly, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Louisville, Seattle. They're all like that. Occasionally you might find that a few specific trips done at very specific times might be able to be done more quickly than in a good suburb, but on average suburb lyfe is less time-consuming (and less money-consuming). Sure, you also have fewer options for shit to do or people to fuck... but that wasn't the point. This wasn't a general "city vs suburb" battle - you're the only person trying to make it about that. It's always about that with you. You can't seem to stick to the topic at hand.
No dude. You can have your preference for the suburbs, but to form that opinion on the back of the idea that living in a city makes accomplishing everyday tasks less convenient just doesn't make any sense. The whole point of a city is to bring people & goods & ideas closer together. If they didn't, the city never would have existed in the first place.

Want space? Cool. Hate people? Cool! I get that. But with a given metro area, the city is going to be more convenient than the burbs for just about everyone unless you actually work in the burbs.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:04 pm
wap wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:02 pm

The one sad thing about shows getting cancelled is that a shit ton of people are now out of work because of one assholes shitty behavior. Doesn't seem fair. They should just write out his character and bring in another actor to play a replacement character.
Yeah, I will agree, especially for the crew and people that aren't getting paid insane numbers for being on camera. But for all the talking heads propping up the industry and coming out later with comments like "we know you, and knew what you were doing!" down with them all.
Yea I meant the crew and other behine the scenes people who are likely making 5 figures, not the "talent".

It does suck that those who knew about other's bad behavior kept silent for so long.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:16 am
dubshow wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:40 pm
Dude dude dude. Real talk. Not being a dick or anything of the sort. I’m just real hesitant of any young guy tying up so much fundage into a tax sheltered thing like 401k. If you are super serious about savings, there are MANY better avenues that a company 401k.

Also. It’s not the best to allocate and max your 401k to $18,5 unless you are pulling well over 90-100k income. I always recommend the max contribution to be sure to get your employer match but don’t got too far past that.

Check out a Roth IRA. It’s a great avenue to go and easier to remove funds in a bind with no tax penalty.
Combine that with a well balance private portfolio you contribute to and you will be miles a head in a smaller window than the confines of an employer 401k.
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:33 am
:bruh: real talk.

I cannot tell you how epically of a bad idea this is without running the #'s on your estimated tax liability. Also, is the match REALLY 10% or do you need to put in 10% to get their shitty match? Because a ROTH IRA will pull the same tax trick is is effectively 'pretax'. Also, putting any more than the match is a bad idea unless you are on the edge of a tax bracket. Everyone besides 401k managers will tell you this.

Sure, if it drops your taxable enough to knock you in a lower bracket then the savings will be real for this one year. Is this just for through the end of the year or do you plan it to be permanent?

Also, tying up funds at your age in a retirement account you cannot touch is a FUCKING TERRIBLE idea, generally speaking. Like for real, you have bought your first house according to the tax man. Take 30% off the top of that money you want to put into the 401k if you need/want to access it for a home down payment in the future. Even if keeping a large chunk in some other investment device that does not shield it from income tax and therefore costs more this year, it very likely will cost you more in the long run should you decide to purchase another home. This is both in terms of tax penalty if you withdraw and extra interest you will pay VIA smaller down payment (from not having access to penalty free 401k). BTW dont think you can just do this via your lady friend if she has not been a homeowner, congrats.... if you get hitched; that ship has sailed for her too.

I cannot stress how strongly enough you should go talk to a real investment guy and / or a real tax guy and get some real input from them for your situation vs a bunch of tards online and your IRL friends that may or may not know things and only have a partial picture. Take it from someone that has been through some of this shit and tried to make good decisions and got fucked out of tens of thousands at every tun over not planning ahead just a little bit.

:sawce:
Go
fucking
talk
to
an
investment
and
tax
professional

:fax:
Quoting both of you to open up the conversation.

RE: employer match. My employer offers a 10% match of your contribution. It doesn't cap out, and that's not a match of your salary. So to just talk straight numbers and math and make it easy on everyone, I make $60,000/year. To max the $18,000 401k limit, that'd 30% of my paycheck, which gets me a 3% company match. The most I can get from my employer match is $1,800, and that's only if I max the 401k on my end.

I'm totally open to your guys' suggestion to not max it out going forward. What I'll probably do is put 10% of my salary in there, and then save 20% myself that I can then leave in a savings account or put in a roth 401k or roth IRA and still have access to the funds if needed.

Contributing the rest of this year's paychecks completely to my 401k is because I wasn't even eligible for their 401k until last paycheck, so all I've contributed this year is $500 (10% of last check and this check). The house sale is gonna be hit hard with taxes, so I figured I'd at least lower the rest of my tax liability for this year, plug snag the automatic 10% return from my company.

I'm not as concerned with my tax liability going forward, and like I said I'm totally open to only doing a 10% contribution or so and saving 20-25% myself and investing through other avenues.

Discuss.

Also :wub: thanks for the advice.
Re house sale: did you own house less than 2 years or net over $450k?? House sales are typically not taxed. Especially if it was you primary residence for 2 years
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:05 pm

That's it.
I get it, you hate cities. Cool. Don't live in one then? Seems to be an easy solution.
This whole thing started with you responding to my post that if you work in a city and want a short commute you should live in a city. And your response brought up costs and inaccessibility to mountain bike trails. Which has nothing to do with commute times.

I don't personally find the city inconvenient. Yes you walk places and yes there are people. Some things can take longer. Some things are easier to access. It all depends on what you want out of where you live, and how that integrates to other things like time spent in traffic or dealing with (in the Philly area at least) overcrowded suburbs. I could move to some place like Media and be totally happy. I could stay here and be totally happy too. Because I see the pros and cons of each place. I chose the city because I didn't want to deal with heavy commutes. When I worked at a refinery in NJ I was looking at buying a house in the middle of farm land.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:48 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sounds good. Continue harping on the drawbacks of a place that you don't live and stay blind to the benefits. There are pluses and minuses to anywhere, and it's really all dependent on what you want out of where you live. There are things I enjoy about the city and things I don't. Equally, there are things I enjoy about suburbs and some things that I really don't like. To each their own. But for my personal situation, the extra 10 minutes spent at the grocery store is made up for in one day by having a commute round trip that is on the average 45 minutes shorter than it would be in a decent suburb.
Let's also not forget your income that isn't possible in fly over country.
Which all factors in to where you choose to live.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

dubshow wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:39 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:16 am

Quoting both of you to open up the conversation.

RE: employer match. My employer offers a 10% match of your contribution. It doesn't cap out, and that's not a match of your salary. So to just talk straight numbers and math and make it easy on everyone, I make $60,000/year. To max the $18,000 401k limit, that'd 30% of my paycheck, which gets me a 3% company match. The most I can get from my employer match is $1,800, and that's only if I max the 401k on my end.

I'm totally open to your guys' suggestion to not max it out going forward. What I'll probably do is put 10% of my salary in there, and then save 20% myself that I can then leave in a savings account or put in a roth 401k or roth IRA and still have access to the funds if needed.

Contributing the rest of this year's paychecks completely to my 401k is because I wasn't even eligible for their 401k until last paycheck, so all I've contributed this year is $500 (10% of last check and this check). The house sale is gonna be hit hard with taxes, so I figured I'd at least lower the rest of my tax liability for this year, plug snag the automatic 10% return from my company.

I'm not as concerned with my tax liability going forward, and like I said I'm totally open to only doing a 10% contribution or so and saving 20-25% myself and investing through other avenues.

Discuss.

Also :wub: thanks for the advice.
Re house sale: did you own house less than 2 years or net over $450k?? House sales are typically not taxed. Especially if it was you primary residence for 2 years
I owned for 3.5 years, and I only lived in it for half a year. So being a rental property for 3 years I'm pretty sure it will be taxed at the full CAPITALGAINZBRAH rate. It would be sweet if it isn't, but everything I've read points to yes, it will be.
Johnny_P

Trick or treaters coming around soon!
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:01 pm Asshole terrorist now we are gonna need to go through the watch list to rent a pickup
Heard about this on NPR, and just looked it up on BBC. :sad:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:04 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:20 pm

another way to state what [user not found] said:

long commutes add real cost in addition to dilution your hourly rate. Why allow that if you can avoid it?
Dat.

Plus, extra overhead when it comes to expenses. Gas, tolls, mileage, wear and tear.

When it comes to commuting I approach it like a beancounter. Anything more than a certain amount is wasteful unless the benefits far outweigh the costs.
You rang?
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:20 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
Heard about this on NPR, and just looked it up on BBC. :sad:
We've been lucky as fuck we haven't had this kind of attack until now. It also demonstrates how little of a risk terrorism actually is.
People too often forget this. Thanks for saying it.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

[user not found] wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:01 pm Asshole terrorist now we are gonna need to go through the watch list to rent a pickup
Why does your average civilian even need to be allowed to rent a pickup? It's long overdue.
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

We did some domestic Halloween shit.

We stopped buying candy for Trick or Treaters about two years ago. We get so many freaking kids, we’d drop cash on like, 12 bags of candy and still run out after an hour. At two pieces a kid. One if your costume sucked. Three if you said please.

Now we save our money and let the neighbors give them candy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

SixSpeeder wrote:
Why does your average civilian even need to be allowed to rent a pickup? It's long overdue.
:dat:

We should all already own one. There is no reason to rent one.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Sno wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:29 pm We did some domestic Halloween shit.

We stopped buying candy for Trick or Treaters about two years ago. We get so many freaking kids, we’d drop cash on like, 12 bags of candy and still run out after an hour. At two pieces a kid. One if your costume sucked. Three if you said please.

:fuckyeah:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Johnny_P

Sno wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:29 pm We did some domestic Halloween shit.

Love the pumpkins. Mine got moldy so I had to throw it out yesterday. Womp womp.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I saw that. God damn it. #BanCities
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:24 pm
wap wrote:
People too often forget this. Thanks for saying it.
Truthfully the overblown risk serves me well professionally but it is overblown. If they wanted to attack us, we would have real attacks daily.
:dat:

It’s just possible
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
SAWCE

Won another order that I quoted out. This one is a big one for us becuase we've previously always lost out to our competition when quoting flexible PCBAs, but we found a good flexible PCB manufacturer that gave us a solid cost on these, and hopefully we can use this order to establish a good relationship with them and start taking some of that market share away from our competition.

Side note, I still wish I got some sort of commission when we win these orders. I've been bringing in a lot of business here.
SAWCE

[user not found] wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:13 pm
SAWCE wrote:Won another order that I quoted out. This one is a big one for us becuase we've previously always lost out to our competition when quoting flexible PCBAs, but we found a good flexible PCB manufacturer that gave us a solid cost on these, and hopefully we can use this order to establish a good relationship with them and start taking some of that market share away from our competition.

Side note, I still wish I got some sort of commission when we win these orders. I've been bringing in a lot of business here.
Awesome!

Stick around there for a while and it will pay off in other ways.
I want to, but the benefits are so bad that it's hard. Boss came through for me last week approving the schedule change though, so I'm thankful for that and will show it with some loyalty. Next week I'll talk to him about timelines/expectations for raises and see how he reacts to that. Hoping that it's at least positive in the sense that he gives me a roadmap of what he'd like to see from me in order for me to earn a raise.
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:03 pmEvening folks
:hai:
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:18 pmWhat's up
Chicken butt