Car Talk 1: Passengers matter

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: I have no idea how to check this.
Sticker in driver's door has assembly month and year.
Will look

OMG guise I'm finally excited to go to my car after work. It's been so long!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote:
Detroit wrote: The only things I miss from mine are the steering wheel and the plaid seats.
I miss my GTI. I would definitely Mk7R in the future if we need to quit being a 3 car family. Or Mk8R, whatever.
And give up the brub?
:gtfo:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sticker in driver's door has assembly month and year.
Will look

OMG guise I'm finally excited to go to my car after work. It's been so long!
:fuckyeah: It's the little things.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:
Desertbreh wrote:
I miss my GTI. I would definitely Mk7R in the future if we need to quit being a 3 car family. Or Mk8R, whatever.
And give up the brub?
IRL it's not gonna happen but if I had no Tahoe I would likely find something a bit more flexible than the brub to be desirable. Although damn if that thing can't haul the groceries.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: There are a few things I could see me missing from my GTI down the line.
1) Steering wheel
2) Plaid seats
3) The exterior looks
4) The headlights (xenon)

I guess that's it.
The only things I miss from mine are the steering wheel and the plaid seats.
I don't miss the :turboyaris: at all but that's largely because the S4 was a better version of it in every way. I do miss the heated recarbros, slick shifter, and short geared fun little V8. Don't miss working on it or getting 19 mpg highway. That thing did handle better than a 140k mile 4200 lb krautwagon on original suspension had any right to handle :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote:
Detroit wrote: And give up the brub?
IRL it's not gonna happen but if I had no Tahoe I would likely find something a bit more flexible than the brub to be desirable. Although damn if that thing can't haul the groceries.
Brub tubs are surprisingly accommodating.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote:
Detroit wrote:Ah, the PCV fail. That's sad.

But I do think you're being dramatic about the RMS. It's leaking, but if it asploded, the car would be done.
Johnny's VW was assembled during Octoberfest. WAP and Balius had their GTI's assembled during a performance review.
So far I'd agree with you. Only approaching 48k miles but 6 years old next month.

Mine was assembled August/2010.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote:
Desertbreh wrote:
Johnny's VW was assembled during Octoberfest. WAP and Balius had their GTI's assembled during a performance review.
So far I'd agree with you. Only approaching 48k miles but 6 years old next month.

Mine was assembled August/2010.
Woa, almost Octoberfest.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

10/09. September!!! It's an Oktoberfest fuck up!!
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:10/09. September!!! It's an Oktoberfest fuck up!!
Imagegasm: :thanksobama:
ChrisoftheNorth

:lolol: That's it!!!

Not only is it an Octoberfest car, it's also a super early US spec MK6. So they were drunk AND :notsure: what they were doing.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: ...unless it's a V8 S4 Imageol:

I still miss that thing even though it was ridiculously expensive to run and not very good at anything.
There are a few things I could see me missing from my GTI down the line.
1) Steering wheel
2) Plaid seats
3) The exterior looks
4) The headlights (xenon)

I guess that's it.
I do miss that steering wheel, it's 5/7
Those headlights too are fucking awesome. The retrofit ones I got for the C5 are equally good, but they're lower to the ground, so there is a disadvantage right off the bat.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Detroit wrote:
:lolol: That's it!!!

Not only is it an Octoberfest car, it's also a super early US spec MK6. So they were drunk AND :notsure: what they were doing.
My mk7 is also a super early US car, built July 2014. So far I already got HPFP replaced, cranks longer at times and shifter trim peeling.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Calvinball wrote:
maxtdi wrote:
Very different experience from a Mk6. Think 30% extra power, and 30% extra refinement, while in the same exact package.
One thing I didn't like is that I couldn't really tell the car had an LSD, it still spun the wheels a fair amount, although perhaps both were spinning.
Also the handling is comparable to my TDI, I can't say I was blown away, maybe a slight bit better.

The mk6 GTI felt pretty much the same as my TDI when it came in daily driving, the MK7 has more low end than my fucking diesel. It is nuts, and it pulls hard until 7k rpm.

It is a VERY VERY VERY good all arounder.
LSD doesn't can't help much with straight line acceleration if the tires are lame, was it on stock failseasons?
Yas
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

maxtdi wrote:
Detroit wrote: I want to go drive a MK7 GTI. Still haven't.
Very different experience from a Mk6. Think 30% extra power, and 30% extra refinement, while in the same exact package.
One thing I didn't like is that I couldn't really tell the car had an LSD, it still spun the wheels a fair amount, although perhaps both were spinning.
Also the handling is comparable to my TDI, I can't say I was blown away, maybe a slight bit better.

The mk6 GTI felt pretty much the same as my TDI when it came in daily driving, the MK7 has more low end than my fucking diesel. It is nuts, and it pulls hard until 7k rpm.

It is a VERY VERY VERY good all arounder.
If only the DSG gear ratios would be better or perhaps the programming, even if I did a uni stage 1 TCU tune on it, on D it is still annoying. In Sport mode, it makes things better, except it brings up to 4k rpm on normal around town driving. It kinda feels like driving an electric car with some NA linear feel to it, if it sounds right; but throttle response is not that good though.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

:mindblown:
max225

Desertbreh wrote:
Detroit wrote: The only things I miss from mine are the steering wheel and the plaid seats.
The 10k cost or 2 tahoe's worth price jump is very tough to justiFLY... :(
Desertbreh

maxtdi wrote:
Desertbreh wrote:
The 10k cost or 2 tahoe's worth price jump is very tough to justiFLY... :(
I'm in a zero plac zone. I got what I wanted a year ago, she's getting what she wants in January (maybe), Brahhoe is fully depreciated, fully fuctional (although I get dinged for things to keep it non-Mexi, like new folding mirror and this weekend a new passenger map light switch for $80). I'll have my fun getting the BMW up to speed with tintz and so forth.

For a 1 car solution, I think the Mk7R is unbeatable, but I respect that you have had a lot of egg for a long time.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Nothing better than a MK7 R... for a 1 car solution for sure... however a GTI delivers 99% of the fun for 50% of the price (used)
Desertbreh

maxtdi wrote:Nothing better than a MK7 R... for a 1 car solution for sure... however a GTI delivers 99% of the fun for 50% of the price (used)
That's doubly true for me but the R gives Nor Cal guys the ability to load up the skis and head to TahBro. Plus the power, plus the rarity. It's a cool car.
max225

Desertbreh wrote:
maxtdi wrote:Nothing better than a MK7 R... for a 1 car solution for sure... however a GTI delivers 99% of the fun for 50% of the price (used)
That's doubly true for me but the R gives Nor Cal guys the ability to load up the skis and head to TahBro. Plus the power, plus the rarity. It's a cool car.
The price differential is just so hard to swallow :( and it doesn't look any different from any other Golf...
Desertbreh

maxtdi wrote:
Desertbreh wrote:
The price differential is just so hard to swallow :( and it doesn't look any different from any other Golf...
Yeah that doesn't matter to me. Enthusiasts definitely know...just like they know ZR1>Z06>GS>base brub when all 95% of people see is a brubtub. The hatch makes it far more functional and valuable to me than an S3 and it would be the car I would get if I de-brubed, no question. Far funner to drive than a lot of shit that costs way more (new cars anyway) and just a Swiss Army Knife.
max225

Desertbreh wrote:
maxtdi wrote:
Yeah that doesn't matter to me. Enthusiasts definitely know...just like they know ZR1>Z06>GS>base brub when all 95% of people see is a brubtub. The hatch makes it far more functional and valuable to me than an S3 and it would be the car I would get if I de-brubed, no question. Far funner to drive than a lot of shit that costs way more (new cars anyway) and just a Swiss Army Knife.
I suppose, however it is hard to justify though... other than AWD there is no real performance/bodywork difference between the car.

The Z06/GS adds giant brakes /bodykit bigger tires etc... for an extra 10%
GTI/R are basically the same and the price differencial is FAR larger at 30%
Desertbreh

maxtdi wrote:
Desertbreh wrote:
I suppose, however it is hard to justify though... other than AWD there is no real performance/bodywork difference between the car.

I don't quite understand this. How is 80 (advertised) hp not a real performance difference? And it's not just a GTI with a tune. The factory has mods to the engine that support that power bump. What other car will take you 0-60 in 4.5 seconds for less than $40K? I don't know whether R brakes are better than power pack.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote:
maxtdi wrote:

I don't quite understand this. How is 80 (advertised) hp not a real performance difference? And it's not just a GTI with a tune. The factory has mods to the engine that support that power bump. What other car will take you 0-60 in 4.5 seconds for less than $40K? I don't know whether R brakes are better than power pack.
The extra weight and drivetrain loss means that the GTI isn't much slower outside of the AWD launch advantage.