Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
User avatar
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 13141
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:31 am
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:24 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:35 pm

You jerk it to the Plastic Fantastic far harder than any forum member. Why you wouldn't just get a nicer one escapes me.
:notwrong: I would argue that this is because I'm the only person on here to actually drive it as god intended.

A nicer one would be :neat: . I guess I'll call some shops and see what the damage on the clutch would be before overthinking anything. If I can just get it fully operational for $1500, that is really the way.
Yeah but the point in the nicer one isn't just that it's nice for Hooters meat ups, but that it has less miles of beating so it can absorb your track days AND be somewhat less papa whiskey tango.
Bender wrote: No one gives a shit about Virginia
User avatar
CaleDeRoo
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 5471
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:46 pm
Drives: C5
Location: CLT NC

Dfd group buy
User avatar
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 13141
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:31 am
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

I would 50K mile Z06 if I were you. You're up 150 hp and the brakes are pretty amazing. I feel like I have to be careful about hard braking because 99 percent of the world has far less braking power.
Bender wrote: No one gives a shit about Virginia
User avatar
CaleDeRoo
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 5471
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:46 pm
Drives: C5
Location: CLT NC

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:43 pm I would 50K mile Z06 if I were you. You're up 150 hp and the brakes are pretty amazing. I feel like I have to be careful about hard braking because 99 percent of the world has far less braking power.
Dan and I use the targa roof
User avatar
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 13141
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:31 am
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:44 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:43 pm I would 50K mile Z06 if I were you. You're up 150 hp and the brakes are pretty amazing. I feel like I have to be careful about hard braking because 99 percent of the world has far less braking power.
Dan and I use the targa roof
Goddamit Cale, what is more important, ruling the pavement with a 427 or styling around in the sunshine? You're a welder in the Northeast where the winters come down hard, not some realtor in Palm Springs.
Bender wrote: No one gives a shit about Virginia
User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 42503
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:10 am
Drives: CT

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:44 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:43 pm I would 50K mile Z06 if I were you. You're up 150 hp and the brakes are pretty amazing. I feel like I have to be careful about hard braking because 99 percent of the world has far less braking power.
Dan and I use the targa roof
Yep, that's what keeps C6Z's off my list too.

A C6 GS is the sweet spot IMO, too bad the values are still :fullretard:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
User avatar
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Posts: 21834
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:49 am
Drives: Plastic Fantastic + Beep Beep

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:31 pm
Yeah... that is a bit much for me and the space/tools I have access to.
User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 42503
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:10 am
Drives: CT

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:32 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:31 pm
Yeah... that is a bit much for me and the space/tools I have access to.
I think so too. I wouldn't attempt without a lift.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
User avatar
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Posts: 21834
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:49 am
Drives: Plastic Fantastic + Beep Beep

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:12 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:44 pm

Dan and I use the targa roof
Yep, that's what keeps C6Z's off my list too.

A C6 GS is the sweet spot IMO, too bad the values are still :fullretard:
I think I'd give up the targa for a Z06 but they have gone up a lot in price. I like Eric's GS option a lot but it is also kind of expensive/nice for track use. The sensible thing would likely just be a Z51.
User avatar
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Posts: 21834
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:49 am
Drives: Plastic Fantastic + Beep Beep

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:38 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:24 pm

:notwrong: I would argue that this is because I'm the only person on here to actually drive it as god intended.

A nicer one would be :neat: . I guess I'll call some shops and see what the damage on the clutch would be before overthinking anything. If I can just get it fully operational for $1500, that is really the way.
Yeah but the point in the nicer one isn't just that it's nice for Hooters meat ups, but that it has less miles of beating so it can absorb your track days AND be somewhat less papa whiskey tango.
:notwrong:

Something like this seems decent https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... n=atempest
User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 42503
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:10 am
Drives: CT

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:49 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:38 pm

Yeah but the point in the nicer one isn't just that it's nice for Hooters meat ups, but that it has less miles of beating so it can absorb your track days AND be somewhat less papa whiskey tango.
:notwrong:

Something like this seems decent https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... n=atempest
That color :amazing: And it appears to be a Z51, so yea...that's a fantastic option IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
User avatar
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 13141
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:31 am
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:49 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:38 pm

Yeah but the point in the nicer one isn't just that it's nice for Hooters meat ups, but that it has less miles of beating so it can absorb your track days AND be somewhat less papa whiskey tango.
:notwrong:

Something like this seems decent https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... n=atempest
Atomic Orange rules. Looks like it has NPP as well.
Bender wrote: No one gives a shit about Virginia
User avatar
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Posts: 21834
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:49 am
Drives: Plastic Fantastic + Beep Beep

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:57 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:49 pm

:notwrong:

Something like this seems decent https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... n=atempest
That color :amazing: And it appears to be a Z51, so yea...that's a fantastic option IMO.
Or this :stig: https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/d/ ... 76747.html
User avatar
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Posts: 21834
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:49 am
Drives: Plastic Fantastic + Beep Beep

How can you tell if they have the Z51 package?
User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 42503
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:10 am
Drives: CT

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:06 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:57 pm
That color :amazing: And it appears to be a Z51, so yea...that's a fantastic option IMO.
Or this :stig: https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/d/ ... 76747.html
THAT THAT THAT :amazing: :megusta:

Atomic whorange Z06's are rare AF. This thing is also :plaid: with that engine.

I wonder what took the engine out? Valve or abuse? Doesn't really matter, that thing has serious hardware, and was built right.

The only thing...

Cars modded to that level will never drive like stock regardless of what people in the internet claim. It'll also be more prone to failure for various things because it's more strung out. Would be a riot, but there's risks for reliability.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 42503
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:10 am
Drives: CT

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:06 pm How can you tell if they have the Z51 package?
The thing I look for is the brakes. Z51 cars got larger drilled rotors, and most people replace like with like.

Clearly someone could put those brakes on a base car, but if you see smooth rotors, you know it's not a Z51 or someone cheaped out on brake replacement = :nope:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
User avatar
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Posts: 21834
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:49 am
Drives: Plastic Fantastic + Beep Beep

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:09 pm
THAT THAT THAT :amazing: :megusta:

Atomic whorange Z06's are rare AF. This thing is also :plaid: with that engine.

I wonder what took the engine out? Valve or abuse? Doesn't really matter, that thing has serious hardware, and was built right.

The only thing...

Cars modded to that level will never drive like stock regardless of what people in the internet claim. It'll also be more prone to failure for various things because it's more strung out. Would be a riot, but there's risks for reliability.
Yeah I'm not really a built motor kinda guy, particularly with road course use. It is fucking cool though. Do want.
User avatar
CaleDeRoo
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 5471
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:46 pm
Drives: C5
Location: CLT NC

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:11 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:44 pm

Dan and I use the targa roof
Goddamit Cale, what is more important, ruling the pavement with a 427 or styling around in the sunshine? You're a welder in the Northeast where the winters come down hard, not some realtor in Palm Springs.
I'm trying to be a welder 30min or so from Dan so we can targa together :sissyfight:

But I wonder how hard it would be to swap everything from a coupe?
User avatar
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Posts: 21834
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:49 am
Drives: Plastic Fantastic + Beep Beep

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:11 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:06 pm How can you tell if they have the Z51 package?
The thing I look for is the brakes. Z51 cars got larger drilled rotors, and most people replace like with like.

Clearly someone could put those brakes on a base car, but if you see smooth rotors, you know it's not a Z51 or someone cheaped out on brake replacement = :nope:
:word: Gracias, that is helpful.
User avatar
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Posts: 21834
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:49 am
Drives: Plastic Fantastic + Beep Beep

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:12 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:11 pm

Goddamit Cale, what is more important, ruling the pavement with a 427 or styling around in the sunshine? You're a welder in the Northeast where the winters come down hard, not some realtor in Palm Springs.
I'm trying to be a welder 30min or so from Dan so we can targa together :sissyfight:

But I wonder how hard it would be to swap everything from a coupe?
Any updates on your move here? I am vaccinated so we can hang out :hue:
User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 42503
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:10 am
Drives: CT

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:12 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:11 pm

Goddamit Cale, what is more important, ruling the pavement with a 427 or styling around in the sunshine? You're a welder in the Northeast where the winters come down hard, not some realtor in Palm Springs.
I'm trying to be a welder 30min or so from Dan so we can targa together :sissyfight:

But I wonder how hard it would be to swap everything from a coupe?
It's been done. It's not easy/cheap and not worth it IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 42503
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:10 am
Drives: CT

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:09 pm
THAT THAT THAT :amazing: :megusta:

Atomic whorange Z06's are rare AF. This thing is also :plaid: with that engine.

I wonder what took the engine out? Valve or abuse? Doesn't really matter, that thing has serious hardware, and was built right.

The only thing...

Cars modded to that level will never drive like stock regardless of what people in the internet claim. It'll also be more prone to failure for various things because it's more strung out. Would be a riot, but there's risks for reliability.
Yeah I'm not really a built motor kinda guy, particularly with road course use. It is fucking cool though. Do want.
Depends on the cam specs. If the lift isn't crazy, it would probably be fine on the road course and you'd embarrass EVERYTHING with it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
User avatar
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Posts: 21834
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:49 am
Drives: Plastic Fantastic + Beep Beep

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:15 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:11 pm

Yeah I'm not really a built motor kinda guy, particularly with road course use. It is fucking cool though. Do want.
Depends on the cam specs. If the lift isn't crazy, it would probably be fine on the road course and you'd embarrass EVERYTHING with it.
It is local-ish. Maybe I should call the guy for the :lolol:

Or I could stick with the special edition lyfe https://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/d/ ... 29926.html































:trollface:
User avatar
CaleDeRoo
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 5471
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:46 pm
Drives: C5
Location: CLT NC

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:13 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:12 pm
I'm trying to be a welder 30min or so from Dan so we can targa together :sissyfight:

But I wonder how hard it would be to swap everything from a coupe?
Any updates on your move here? I am vaccinated so we can hang out :hue:
My friend is still requesting tours. The place in Sardis was nice, but we want a 4th bedroom for visitors/home office and that house didn't have that. I believe my friend has a couple more tours scheduled. The tough part is driveway size. I'm getting antsy though and kinda want to go down for a weekend for the hell of it.

The 2008 pace car is the best.
User avatar
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 13141
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:31 am
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:09 pm
THAT THAT THAT :amazing: :megusta:

Atomic whorange Z06's are rare AF. This thing is also :plaid: with that engine.

I wonder what took the engine out? Valve or abuse? Doesn't really matter, that thing has serious hardware, and was built right.

The only thing...

Cars modded to that level will never drive like stock regardless of what people in the internet claim. It'll also be more prone to failure for various things because it's more strung out. Would be a riot, but there's risks for reliability.
Probably the valve guide issue. This thing is awesome.
Bender wrote: No one gives a shit about Virginia
Post Reply