Electricity thread.. Ask me questions if you'd like.

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

We don't have gas at my house :sad:

I looked up my bill from December for electric - $80.34, which includes all heating obviously. Would love to have gas in the next house :doe: , it's $5-10K to get gas to the house since our street was built without it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:16 am
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:23 pm

Yeah but the San Dog town gets a little chilly from time to time. You are saying portable heaters and donezo?
We don't even use portable heaters :lol: Michelle throws some extra blankets on her side of the bed and I'm good even in the coldest of San Diego winter nights under just a basic bitch blanket.. shit I still sweat most nights. We also have a 75lb German Shepherd dumping all her body heat into our bed at night as well though.
I can sleep in 50F no problem, but the mornings would be rough for me. I can't even type/do my job really if it's sub 66ish. :snowflake:
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

I run hotter than most, I think due to the sauce...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:44 am I run hotter than most, I think due to the sauce...
I am a :pussy:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

So my powerwall shat a brick Friday … got an app notification that has since disappeared … saying “powerwall disconnected”…

In typical tesla Fashion there is no number to call and you have to create a ticket via app… which I did. The customer service reps only operate Monday - Friday 8-5pst.

Pretty disgust but let’s see what happens … solar still works though. Of course no word from anyone for 48 hrs …

Powerwall is 13 months old and I did cycle it on and off etc
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

max225 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:59 pm So my powerwall shat a brick Friday … got an app notification that has since disappeared … saying “powerwall disconnected”…

In typical tesla Fashion there is no number to call and you have to create a ticket via app… which I did. The customer service reps only operate Monday - Friday 8-5pst.

Pretty disgust but let’s see what happens … solar still works though. Of course no word from anyone for 48 hrs …

good thing you have the highly reliable CA electric grid as a backup :lol:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:15 am
max225 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:59 pm So my powerwall shat a brick Friday … got an app notification that has since disappeared … saying “powerwall disconnected”…

good thing you have the highly reliable CA electric grid as a backup :lol:
Ironically I have “lost” power exactly for 2 min over the last 13 months. Since this being logged by my system.
max225

So after 1 hr with "tech support" they will escalate it to another level of "tech" support but it sounds like my battery will be in need of replacement. :disgust: it failed after 13 months... i kinda feel for the planet here... its 200lbs of lithium and unobtanium shit that will just end up in a landfill. Yea yea yea it'll be "recycled" my ass.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:56 pm So after 1 hr with "tech support" they will escalate it to another level of "tech" support but it sounds like my battery will be in need of replacement. :disgust: it failed after 13 months... i kinda feel for the planet here... its 200lbs of lithium and unobtanium shit that will just end up in a landfill. Yea yea yea it'll be "recycled" my ass.
Let's hope it's just some controller issue that can be addressed at the plant and the batteries don't end up in a landfill.

This has me really :disgust: as of late...thinking about all this "green" tech spending forever in the ground doing nothing.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:56 pm So after 1 hr with "tech support" they will escalate it to another level of "tech" support but it sounds like my battery will be in need of replacement. :disgust: it failed after 13 months... i kinda feel for the planet here... its 200lbs of lithium and unobtanium shit that will just end up in a landfill. Yea yea yea it'll be "recycled" my ass.
I am certain they will at the very least find the offending pack, if not the cell itself, and refurbish. If its related to the power electronics, well thats easy to refirb.

This is why I am still very :disappoint: on residential solar. You go from dc-ac-dc in the vast majority of the devices in your home and so much is wasted in the conversions. All the higher power draw devices are AC, but could also be made to be DC. But realistically one won't be powering HVAC for long on batteries.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

That sucks the D.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:09 pm
I am certain they will at the very least find the offending pack, if not the cell itself, and refurbish. If its related to the power electronics, well thats easy to refirb.

This is why I am still very :disappoint: on residential solar. You go from dc-ac-dc in the vast majority of the devices in your home and so much is wasted in the conversions. All the higher power draw devices are AC, but could also be made to be DC. But realistically one won't be powering HVAC for long on batteries.
This makes me think twice on batteries but honestly I should have gone solar a few years back. My $400/month electric bill is now $600/month. That is a figure that is approaching my gag reflex.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:09 pm

Possibly. However they didn't mention refurb but did mention replacement... so perhaps they will replace with a refurb ? TBD... it will take 15-20 days...

I am very pleased with my solar. I am generating 14Megawatts a year.
max225

This was quick… looks like is have a “service” visit on the 14th… I think they will replace the powerwall then …
max225

Battery got replaced... yay planet earth. hope they actually recycle it...
Last edited by max225 on Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:57 pm Battery got replaced... I think my inverter also took a shit.
Any insight into what caused these failures?
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:02 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:57 pm Battery got replaced... I think my inverter also took a shit.
None. No idea what failed or why. I asked if they happen a lot and I got a random answer... saying "not uncommon and not common". They wouldn't say what failed and why.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:03 pm

None. No idea what failed or why. I asked if they happen a lot and I got a random answer... saying "not uncommon and not common". They wouldn't say what failed and why.
LOL. Such nothingburger.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:03 pm

:disgust:

I'd like to have a whole-house UPS and power conditioner like that at some point but dunno when/what to buy. Seems like everything sucks.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/15/califor ... wners.html
The California Public Utilities Commission on Thursday passed a proposal that will reduce compensation provided to households for the surplus electricity their rooftop solar panels contribute to the electric grid.
Today’s unanimous vote by the five-member commission was monitored across the country, since California is widely viewed as a leader in the renewable energy buildout.
More than 1.5 million homes, businesses and other utility customers in California have rooftop solar panels.
So, how bad is this going to cut into the amortization of your solar :math: Maximillion
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:57 am https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/15/califor ... wners.html
The California Public Utilities Commission on Thursday passed a proposal that will reduce compensation provided to households for the surplus electricity their rooftop solar panels contribute to the electric grid.
Today’s unanimous vote by the five-member commission was monitored across the country, since California is widely viewed as a leader in the renewable energy buildout.
More than 1.5 million homes, businesses and other utility customers in California have rooftop solar panels.
So, how bad is this going to cut into the amortization of your solar :math: Maximillion
They never paid shit. It was 1 cent per kWh to sell and 20-50 cents to buy. I had a 4megawatt surplus, if it was fairly compensated the system would have been paying me $1200 a year which isn’t that grand anyways even at “fair value” (buy and sell at same rate).

I honestly didn’t do it for the money. It just seemed like the right thing to do given where I live. 12.5 megawatts a year out of a pretty small system is pretty epic if you ask me. Nice to stay cool in the summers when others are trying to “save money” also.

That said those assholes wanted to enact a tax on solar panels… you’d owe $10-$20 per 1kw installed panel theoretical capacity … so my 8kw system would cost me $80 -160a month. Fucking insanity … so many people got solar here that they were bitching that they are not making enough money .
Last edited by max225 on Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:18 am
golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:57 am https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/15/califor ... wners.html

They never paid shit. It was 1 cent per kWh to sell and 20-50 cents to buy. I had a 4megawatt surplus, if it was fairly compensated the system would have been paying me $1200 a year which isn’t that grand anyways even at “fair value” (buy and sell at same rate).

I honestly didn’t do it for the money. It just seemed like the right thing to do given where I live. 12.5 megawatts a year out of a pretty small system is pretty epic if you ask me. Nice to stay cool in the summers when others are trying to “save money” also.

That said those assholes wanted to enact a tax on solar panels… you’d owe $20 per 1kw installed panel … so my 8kw system would cost me $80 a month. Fucking insanity … so many people got solar here that they were bitching that they are not making enough money .
This is the right approach IMO. The scammy sales tactic of promising a big payday for solar really irked me. It was never guaranteed and really shouldn't be something to bank on for these exact reasons.

Now TAXING people for solar? What in the actual fuck. Solar should be encouraged, not penalized where you live. Wow.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

They keep trying to do the same shit here. It's all from the legislators who are bought and paid for by the energy companies.
ChrisoftheNorth

Valkyrie wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:07 pm They keep trying to do the same shit here. It's all from the legislators who are bought and paid for by the energy companies.
Ah yes, that's right.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:18 am

That said those assholes wanted to enact a tax on solar panels… you’d owe $10-$20 per 1kw installed panel theoretical capacity … so my 8kw system would cost me $80 -160a month. Fucking insanity … so many people got solar here that they were bitching that they are not making enough money .
Yep, Solar is about keeping your soap on the rope in the shower, not selling power.