Shopping in the worst car market ever...Summer 21 Plac Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

My parents bought a pretty dece camper for $3K... it has a shitter/shower, full kitchen, queen bed, etc. It isn't that big and it's 15 years old or so but is in great shape. That is the move, IMO. They can also haul it with a Durango which is just their regular car, no need to daily an F250.

I am in agreeance here, van life would be cool and makes sense at a point... but it takes some serious :math: to justify it. If you are camping every weekend in your region? Sure, it's cool. If you are spending a month or more on the road every year indefinitely? Can probably justify it. It's so situational as it all depends on your tolerance level/need for luxury, schedule, storage space, etc.

I have zero issues sleeping in a tent but I also camp like maybe 5-10 nights/year. I've done a lot of cross country driving, did it for a living for years, did a three week trip here in the US last year, two weeks in Iceland this year. I will say that hotels are nice and don't have to cost a ton, but there are times when the van would be superior. In Iceland especially, we seriously misjudged timing of some stuff and ended up driving until midnight to get to a hotel/BNB often, and it would've been easier to just pull over and sleep in a van (and cheaper). That said, if I'm out on the road for months, I likely would want to get a hotel 50% of the time anyway.

:iono: it's certainly not for me, but it is also certainly cool. If I had the time, I'd love to just tour around with a van with bikes/a bed in it and live the dream.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Looks like used car prices ticking upward again especially with economy /bond yields etc
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

razr390 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:11 pm Looks like used car prices ticking upward again especially with economy /bond yields etc
Used prices are insane, but mostly because new inventory simply doesn't exist. Used is just about the only way to buy a vehicle instantly right now.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:15 pm
razr390 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:11 pm Looks like used car prices ticking upward again especially with economy /bond yields etc
Used prices are insane, but mostly because new inventory simply doesn't exist. Used is just about the only way to buy a vehicle instantly right now.
I'm probably an idiot for not selling the GTI right now. I had a bead on another 4R Venture with KDSS but decided again not to pull the trigger. I just enjoy this thing too much and we're getting by just fine for now with one family hauler. :ohwell:
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:00 pm
I'm probably an idiot for not selling the GTI right now. I had a bead on another 4R Venture with KDSS but decided again not to pull the trigger. I just enjoy this thing too much and we're getting by just fine for now with one family hauler. :ohwell:
I honestly think the best thing to do right now is nothing if you can pull it off. Sure, the GTI is worth the most it's ever been, but off it now and replace it with something you don't want? :butwhy: unless you absolutely NEED the extra space, and even then it seems like one spacious family hauler should be enough.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390

Yeah, I get this morning news email and they mention economy/bond yields plus China ramped down use of coal so it’s causing their manufacturing to slow among other things. It’s truly impressive and scary at how dependent upon so much going right our society is
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:04 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:00 pm

I honestly think the best thing to do right now is nothing if you can pull it off. Sure, the GTI is worth the most it's ever been, but off it now and replace it with something you don't want? :butwhy: unless you absolutely NEED the extra space, and even then it seems like one spacious family hauler should be enough.
So many people in my GTI group are like “SELLING THE GTI ITS WORTH LIKE MORE THAN I OWE!” And then they end up trying to buy something else and don’t realize those cars are equally marked up…
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:11 pm
Yeah, I get this morning news email and they mention economy/bond yields plus China ramped down use of coal so it’s causing their manufacturing to slow among other things. It’s truly impressive and scary at how dependent upon so much going right our society is
Compounding all of that are the shipping backlogs with container ships full of shit we don't need (but a lot we do) piling up outside the port of LA because there aren't enough workers to unload them all.

Our reliance on imports is :impressive: especially when it comes to vehicle manufacturing.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:04 pm
So many people in my GTI group are like “SELLING THE GTI ITS WORTH LIKE MORE THAN I OWE!” And then they end up trying to buy something else and don’t realize those cars are equally marked up…
Exactly. You might be getting an extra $3-5k on trade or sell, but you're paying AT ALEAST an extra $3-5k on the replacement new or used. New doesn't sell for under MSRP right now, when in the past $1k off was a rip-off. Used is selling for new prices, which is an insane rip-off capitalizing on desperation.

The only way it makes sense to sell a vehicle right now is if you're not replacing it.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:21 pm

Exactly. You might be getting an extra $3-5k on trade or sell, but you're paying AT ALEAST an extra $3-5k on the replacement new or used. New doesn't sell for under MSRP right now, when in the past $1k off was a rip-off. Used is selling for new prices, which is an insane rip-off capitalizing on desperation.

The only way it makes sense to sell a vehicle right now is if you're not replacing it.
I think that's mostly right. You've never been able to get much of a discount on a the TRD 4R trims, though. A work friend of mine bought his TRD Off-Road Premium in late 2019 and got it for about $2k off MSRP, and on the two Venture trims I've inquired about, both dealers were willing to let them go at MSRP. My car is definitely worth more than $2k more than it was pre-pandemic, though. Hell, in early 2020 right after the twins were born I had a trade offer for $13.5k, and my last Vroom offer was $21.8k.

My employer allows us to take advantage of that VW partner program, so I could still get an Atlas at $500 under invoice if I wanted another one of those in the fleet. Wouldn't be the worst thing, I really like that car.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:53 pm

I think that's mostly right. You've never been able to get much of a discount on a the TRD 4R trims, though. A work friend of mine bought his TRD Off-Road Premium in late 2019 and got it for about $2k off MSRP, and on the two Venture trims I've inquired about, both dealers were willing to let them go at MSRP. My car is definitely worth more than $2k more than it was pre-pandemic, though. Hell, in early 2020 right after the twins were born I had a trade offer for $13.5k, and my last Vroom offer was $21.8k.

My employer allows us to take advantage of that VW partner program, so I could still get an Atlas at $500 under invoice if I wanted another one of those in the fleet. Wouldn't be the worst thing, I really like that car.
It's weird, certain vehicles really took off in value, especially GTIs and Alltracks for some reason. They used to depreciate pretty heavily, but are worth a fortune right now. But I think that has to do with new inventory. Since there is none, used values are approaching new because it's the only option. So cars that depreciated heavily are seeing a big lift, and others not so much.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I just tested this chat on VROOM. BMW offer is now $33.4K, almost four grand more than 45 days ago.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Anyone got experience buying from vroom? Best RDX deal we’ve found is on there
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MrH42 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:08 pm Anyone got experience buying from vroom? Best RDX deal we’ve found is on there
I know [user not found] sold a few successfully.

I know several people who have done the car ordering thing and loved it. I think they used Carvana, but they both seem really reputable. I wouldn’t hesitate personally.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:18 pm
razr390 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:11 pm

Compounding all of that are the shipping backlogs with container ships full of shit we don't need (but a lot we do) piling up outside the port of LA because there aren't enough workers to unload them all.

Our reliance on imports is :impressive: especially when it comes to vehicle manufacturing.
It’s everything man. We are sold out on probably 20% of our SKUs and we are in by far the best shape in our industry.

We manufacture about 2/3 of our shit in China and it’sa crazy struggle with our supply chain people now.

We also distribute Sonos and some other consumer electronics brands to dealers. They’ve all been back ordered for almost a year. Every Sonos part is only to be found on Amazon/eBay for 2X MSRP.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:45 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:18 pm

It’s everything man. We are sold out on probably 20% of our SKUs and we are in by far the best shape in our industry.

We manufacture about 2/3 of our shit in China and it’sa crazy struggle with our supply chain people now.

We also distribute Sonos and some other consumer electronics brands to dealers. They’ve all been back ordered for almost a year. Every Sonos part is only to be found on Amazon/eBay for 2X MSRP.
What's wild is I can walk into my local Costco and buy a number of Sonos products. Must not be much demand up here, I know they're sold out pretty much everywhere else.

I wonder how long this is going to last. Really wild times.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:58 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:45 pm

What's wild is I can walk into my local Costco and buy a number of Sonos products. Must not be much demand up here, I know they're sold out pretty much everywhere else.

I kinda doubt that is true. If it is, I would go buy all of it and sell it online for 2X.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:00 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:58 am

I kinda doubt that is true. If it is, I would go buy all of it and sell it online for 2X.
I was there two days ago to buy a new router, only noticed because the router I bought was right next to the Sonos stuff. Plenty of Beams, Arcs, 2 packs of Sonos 1's. No subs or other stuff, but still plenty of other things.

Should I go buy out the stock and open up an eGhey store?
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:17 pm

I was there two days ago to buy a new router, only noticed because the router I bought was right next to the Sonos stuff. Plenty of Beams, Arcs, 2 packs of Sonos 1's. No subs or other stuff, but still plenty of other things.

My friend with a little pub here is looking for a few more small Sonos speakers. I don't know anything yet about the products but if availability is an issue I might want to buy some from Michigan to help him out. I was planning to look at his stuff next week and help him expand/improve his setup.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:27 pm

My friend with a little pub here is looking for a few more small Sonos speakers. I don't know anything yet about the products but if availability is an issue I might want to buy some from Michigan to help him out. I was planning to look at his stuff next week and help him expand/improve his setup.
Restaurants and bars up here use Sonos all the time. It's a pretty easy solution for them because it's wireless, easy to zone, and easy to control.

I'm not sure many people know that Costco sells Sonos products out of the warehouse, might be one of the last places these things can be easily had? Though I just checked the Costco website, and it looks like the Ones (small speakers) are sold out. My warehouse might have the last inventory available, so let me know if you want me to pick some up and ship them down. Shipping shouldn't be too bad.

Another :scrooge: tip on Sonos: Ikea sells Sonos speakers they call "Symfonisk". I have a bunch of them and the guts are basically Sonos ones. They use the Sonos app for setup and control, so they act just like normal Sonos speakers. They're also cheaper than the Sonos branded speakers, but no idea if they're easily available.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I am :notsure: if the sound bars and such are as big of an issue. Since most of what I sell goes into commercial projects, it's 95% Sonos Amps and Sonos Ports. They use these to go into 70 volt amplifiers and feed in ceiling speakers or things like that for music in retail/bar/restaurant/hotel/dentist offices/shit like that.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:41 pm

I am :notsure: if the sound bars and such are as big of an issue. Since most of what I sell goes into commercial projects, it's 95% Sonos Amps and Sonos Ports. They use these to go into 70 volt amplifiers and feed in ceiling speakers or things like that for music in retail/bar/restaurant/hotel/dentist offices/shit like that.
:waxer: shit. :aintcare:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

I'll have to see what he has down here. I know that there are 3 little speakers and 1 of them is acting up. No clue whether they're the actual commercial products, it's a really small indoor space. The whole bar might seat 25 people?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:47 pm I'll have to see what he has down here. I know that there are 3 little speakers and 1 of them is acting up. No clue whether they're the actual commercial products, it's a really small indoor space. The whole bar might seat 25 people?
Probably just Sonos Ones... they are really a resi product but they get used in those applications all the time as well for just streaming background music. They're a pretty effective solution for that.

I sell to custom installers :doe: so this shit typically goes into more :fancy: systems where it is feeding a house PA or shit like that.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:47 pm I'll have to see what he has down here. I know that there are 3 little speakers and 1 of them is acting up. No clue whether they're the actual commercial products, it's a really small indoor space. The whole bar might seat 25 people?
Sonos only makes one kind of small speaker, and it's all they probably need unless they want to crank out the tunes. :scrooge: option is an Ikea Symfonisk.