OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:15 pm
wap wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:10 pm

We are so much looking forward to it. We're bringing 2 cases of water so hydration shouldn't be an issue. Still, good advice is good. Plus, the H has cooled seats which should keep the :knot: from getting too :moist: . :megusta:

Also, farther south than we're going to be, but relevant to the discussion.
https://news.yahoo.com/u-likely-claims- ... 00050.html

:nope:

Where we're going to be in bold:

:yikes: :yikes: :thisisfine:
This is scary stuff for June IMO, but it's the way things are now I guess. Let's just hope there aren't crazy fires again.

I think you guys will still have a ton of fun. I'm :jelly:
I'm sure we will.

Well, at least this might mean an extended boating season for you. :lol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:17 pm
This is scary stuff for June IMO, but it's the way things are now I guess. Let's just hope there aren't crazy fires again.

I'm sure we will.

If it stays boating weather into October, I'll be :fuckyeah: But talking to the dock company, if this drought continues along with high/dry heat, we might have to have our docks moved back by August because the water will be too shallow to safely drop boats in. Just yesterday, I noticed the water was easily 2-3" lower than it was two days before when I first put the boat up.

Wild times.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

wap wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:10 pm

We are so much looking forward to it. We're bringing 2 cases of water so hydration shouldn't be an issue. Still, good advice is good. Plus, the H has cooled seats which should keep the :knot: from getting too :moist: . :megusta:

Also, farther south than we're going to be, but relevant to the discussion.
https://news.yahoo.com/u-likely-claims- ... 00050.html

:nope:

Where we're going to be in bold:

:yikes: :yikes: :thisisfine:

I stocked up on full face protections + extra filters for when the fires hit... which they will. We're in a 1200 year drought at this point. :thisisfine: But this is affecting the entire western united states from washington/oregon/california/nevada/arizona.
Wild times ahead.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:26 pm
wap wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:17 pm

I'm sure we will.

If it stays boating weather into October, I'll be :fuckyeah: But talking to the dock company, if this drought continues along with high/dry heat, we might have to have our docks moved back by August because the water will be too shallow to safely drop boats in. Just yesterday, I noticed the water was easily 2-3" lower than it was two days before when I first put the boat up.

Wild times.
WOW
:mindblown:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Irish wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:50 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:58 am

I like this Chem combo, the liquid chlorine did a great job of wiping out algae after I opened it. My PH started to climb, it would be nice to have the confidence to dump baking soda into the pool as I suspected should work. Thank you for these suggestions!

Water is still on pucks for now, and I'm really surprised to see how quickly it starts to fog up if I forget to add them (about two or three days)!

The plan is to ride out a few rainfalls and kids splash sessions, and as I add more water I'll be able to dilute the excess salt and I'll be able to switch over to the salt cell.
Baking Soda raises Total Alkalinity and pH

Muriatic Acid (Liquid) or Sodium BiSulfate (Dry Acid Salts) lower pH.

High pH affects the efficacy of Chlorine as well, so it pays to keep it in the 7.2-7.8 range.

I have to add Chlorine every 1-2 days to keep it at sanitizing levels. Sanitizing levels are dictated by the CYA level. The lower the Cya the lower amount of Chlorine you need but the faster sunlight burns it off.

So your issue is too high a salt content? Can't you just run the salt cell less?
Gotcha, that would be counterproductive.

The salt cell converts salt into chloride by electrically separating Na from Cl, and I don't know much more about it tbh. It has an operating range of 2700 ppm to 3500 ppm, and I'm around 4200 right now. I could drain and fill about 6" of the pool, but I'm going to use the water as is, and with pool cleaning and evaporation, I may see the ratio adjust by mid-late summer season as I add hose water to keep it leveled up.

It is amazing how quickly water can turn un-swimmable. Literally :nuke: in a week without proper systems in place. :yikes:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:08 pm

I stocked up on full face protections + extra filters for when the fires hit... which they will. We're in a 1200 year drought at this point. :thisisfine: But this is affecting the entire western united states from washington/oregon/california/nevada/arizona.
Wild times ahead.
Fire warnings in areas that never have fires like where I live. :thisisfine:

I should probably consider stocking up on some precautions like this. Just wild.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:09 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:26 pm

Wild times.
WOW
:mindblown:
Yea, that was my response too. Unless someone raised my boat up, which is highly unlikely because it's not that easy to do, the water level is dropping by the day. Zero rain, dry weather, full sun, and moderate warmth is a recipe for evaporation. The lake was at a record high last year, so it's not :nuke: by any means yet, just wild to watch.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:02 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:08 pm
Wild times ahead.

I should probably consider stocking up on some precautions like this. Just wild.
“Never have fires” is also what I thought. Up until last year I had the same mentality. Now if there are trees there are fires.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:02 pm

“Never have fires” is also what I thought. Up until last year I had the same mentality. Now if there are trees there are fires.
Northern Michigan literally never has forest fires. It's usually humid, rains frequently, and lots of green things that never brown and simply don't burn. Most summers, I have trouble making camp fires because there's not enough dry kindling or wood to use. Forest fires are not a thing here at all.

But the climate has shifted the last few years, and it was most stark this winter with next to zero snow, and now this summer with hot and dry conditions with no rain. Now all the growth is just tinder, we're being warned to limit camp fires and outside burning because it's something nobody here has ever had to think about. Hell, I didn't understand what smokey the bear was when I was a kid in Michigan because "forest fires" were so foreign to me.

I had baptism by fire when I moved to SoCal and dealt with ash rain and fires on the mountain every summer from my first. It's just a way of life out there, people deal with it and are prepared. I'm not whining about my local area because I'm used to it from SoCal, but I'm concerned about the large portions of the country that have to think about this now that have spent lifetimes not caring. The entire country could be a tinderbox this summer, that's scary.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:28 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:17 pm
Northern Michigan literally never has forest fires. It's usually humid, rains frequently, and lots of green things that never brown and simply don't burn. Most summers, I have trouble making camp fires because there's not enough dry kindling or wood to use. Forest fires are not a thing here at all.

But the climate has shifted the last few years, and it was most stark this winter with next to zero snow, and now this summer with hot and dry conditions with no rain. Now all the growth is just tinder, we're being warned to limit camp fires and outside burning because it's something nobody here has ever had to think about. Hell, I didn't understand what smokey the bear was when I was a kid in Michigan because "forest fires" were so foreign to me.

I had baptism by fire when I moved to SoCal and dealt with ash rain and fires on the mountain every summer from my first. It's just a way of life out there, people deal with it and are prepared. I'm not whining about my local area because I'm used to it from SoCal, but I'm concerned about the large portions of the country that have to think about this now that have spent lifetimes not caring. The entire country could be a tinderbox this summer, that's scary.
Yea it's wild. Arizona is burning... I was just there 3 weeks ago... and I thought man this place looks like it could burn also... And lo and behold... They are on fire now also.

It just seems like a crazy "Dust bowl" type scenario for the us over the last 2 years and more to come. :disgust: This entire country has some pretty damn extreme weather.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:35 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:28 pm

Yea it's wild. Arizona is burning... I was just there 3 weeks ago... and I thought man this place looks like it could burn also... And lo and behold... They are on fire now also.

It just seems like a crazy "Dust bowl" type scenario for the us over the last 2 years and more to come. :disgust: This entire country has some pretty damn extreme weather.
Yep, it's looking like a lot of what we've gotten used to over our lifetimes is no longer a foregone assumption anywhere. Extreme weather is getting more and more common everywhere. I'd be :popcorn: if it wasn't so concerning, but there's nothing I/we can do about it other than I guess keeping an eye on consumption. Climate is changing, the cause will be up for debate forever.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:46 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:35 pm

Yep, it's looking like a lot of what we've gotten used to over our lifetimes is no longer a foregone assumption anywhere. Extreme weather is getting more and more common everywhere. I'd be :popcorn: if it wasn't so concerning, but there's nothing I/we can do about it other than I guess keeping an eye on consumption. Climate is changing, the cause will be up for debate forever.
I think the other issue is that most of us are a lot more "adult" and in tune with the world because our livelihoods could go up in flames/storms/floods etc. As kids and adolescents we were just chasing toys and tail. So weather was a non issue.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:58 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:46 pm
I think the other issue is that most of us are a lot more "adult" and in tune with the world because our livelihoods could go up in flames/storms/floods etc. As kids and adolescents we were just chasing toys and tail. So weather was a non issue.
Very true. I feel like I remember the weather being different, but in reality I don't really remember what it was in particular. Getting old and caring about the weather and bird watching. That last part might just be me, but :wap:
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:50 pm
Irish wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:50 pm

Baking Soda raises Total Alkalinity and pH

Muriatic Acid (Liquid) or Sodium BiSulfate (Dry Acid Salts) lower pH.

High pH affects the efficacy of Chlorine as well, so it pays to keep it in the 7.2-7.8 range.

I have to add Chlorine every 1-2 days to keep it at sanitizing levels. Sanitizing levels are dictated by the CYA level. The lower the Cya the lower amount of Chlorine you need but the faster sunlight burns it off.

So your issue is too high a salt content? Can't you just run the salt cell less?
Gotcha, that would be counterproductive.

The salt cell converts salt into chloride by electrically separating Na from Cl, and I don't know much more about it tbh. It has an operating range of 2700 ppm to 3500 ppm, and I'm around 4200 right now. I could drain and fill about 6" of the pool, but I'm going to use the water as is, and with pool cleaning and evaporation, I may see the ratio adjust by mid-late summer season as I add hose water to keep it leveled up.

It is amazing how quickly water can turn un-swimmable. Literally :nuke: in a week without proper systems in place. :yikes:
Yeah keeping adequate Chlorine levels is critical to keeping a pool clear and algae free.

Does your Chlorine generator not operate outside the 2700 ppm to 3500 ppm range? OR is it just suggested that you don't allow it to operate outside the range?
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:58 pm I think the other issue is that most of us are a lot more "adult" and in tune with the world because our livelihoods could go up in flames/storms/floods etc. As kids and adolescents we were just chasing toys and tail. So weather was a non issue.
Very true. I feel like I remember the weather being different, but in reality I don't really remember what it was in particular. Getting old and caring about the weather and bird watching. That last part might just be me, but :wap:
I like watching boobies.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

https://featured.muscleandfitness.com/2021/brandon-al

If anyone has a minute and your 24 hour timer is up.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:05 am https://featured.muscleandfitness.com/2021/brandon-al

Done!
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:35 am
Detroit wrote: Very true. I feel like I remember the weather being different, but in reality I don't really remember what it was in particular. Getting old and caring about the weather and bird watching. That last part might just be me, but :wap:
I like watching boobies.
:megusta:
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:38 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:05 am https://featured.muscleandfitness.com/2021/brandon-al

Done!
:wub:
wap

If I had facetube I'd be voting for :sawce: every day, but I don't.

Sorry, :sawce:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:28 pm If I had facetube I'd be voting for :sawce: every day, but I don't.

Facetoob is getting to be a necessary evil these days. It's why I keep my account active, but never use it for more than browsing marketplace and stuff like this.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:39 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:28 pm If I had facetube I'd be voting for :sawce: every day, but I don't.

Facetoob is getting to be a necessary evil these days. It's why I keep my account active, but never use it for more than browsing marketplace and stuff like this.
:disgust:
I just can't bring myself to join the collective.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:38 am

Done!
Ditto
SAWCE

Doing a staycation in downtown San Diego this weekend to celebrate making it through prep with Michelle and get some quality one on one time. Should be fun. We’ll do a nice dinner tonight, tomorrow just lay out at the hotel pool, then doing this speedboat thing around the bay, more good food, maybe go to a movie or something. Just chill at the hotel a bit on Sunday morning until we have to head home to start taking care of things for next week.
SAWCE

Also, if your vote timers have reset for today, here’s that link again:

https://featured.muscleandfitness.com/2021/brandon-al