OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:This is funny/timely - my wife was literally this morning complaining about my 'obsession' over the cost of food and trying to buy/eat inexpensive food/drink.

:scrooge: :scrooge: :scrooge:
:scrooge: :plaid: :scrooge:
:impressive:

Seems like y'all spend at least double what we spend, and I think we waste too much.

My goal is to eventually have people hang out at our house vs at bars/restaurants, which is why I like living right in town.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:28 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:39 pm
It's not really the food, but the drinks. Beer is pretty much $7-10 now, mixed drinks are $12-20.

So yea, could just not drink and the bill would be quite a bit less. But we don't keep much variety of booze at home and we eat most meals at home, so going out is an experience I guess.
We had a great dinner for 2.5 people the other night in our hood. Was $75 with tip. One beer on the check.

Yeah things have gone up in price for sure. Spot on with the booze comment. Burgers are routinely $15 around me as well anymore.
That's about where we'd be at with just one beer. Burgers and everything have gotten quite pricey lately. :|
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:45 am
Johnny_P wrote:
We had a great dinner for 2.5 people the other night in our hood. Was $75 with tip. One beer on the check.

Yeah things have gone up in price for sure. Spot on with the booze comment. Burgers are routinely $15 around me as well anymore.
That's pretty much the norm here now. $15 food, $10-15 drink(s), 2 people, $60-ish total to go anywhere... which means staying home most of the time.

What's really shitty to me is that there are no cheap places. Even a coffee shop iced coffee and breakfast sandwich/pastry ends up at $15+ a person, which really defeats the convenience of living a block away from the place.
Cheap doesn't exist anymore. Even a basic sandwich somewhere is $8 min.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh

SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:22 pm That's one of the nice things about always being on a strict diet.. I'm typically $100-125ish in groceries every week, and that's about all I spend on food. Since we don't eat many meals together, when I do get my weekly cheat meal, we usually end up opting for cheap take-out, fast food, or pizza so we can enjoy the meal at home together. Unless we do sushi, that meal is usually well under $50 for the two of us.
The thing that reins me in from dining out is not the cost, it is the desire not to be a bloated fat ass and die of beetus complications. When you have money you are fighting the grim reaper. When your metabolism can shed a porterhouse and two Manhattans like teflon, you have no money.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:38 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:22 pm That's one of the nice things about always being on a strict diet.. I'm typically $100-125ish in groceries every week, and that's about all I spend on food. Since we don't eat many meals together, when I do get my weekly cheat meal, we usually end up opting for cheap take-out, fast food, or pizza so we can enjoy the meal at home together. Unless we do sushi, that meal is usually well under $50 for the two of us.
The thing that reins me in from dining out is not the cost, it is the desire not to be a bloated fat ass and die of beetus complications. When you have money you are fighting the grim reaper. When your metabolism can shed a porterhouse and two Manhattans like teflon, you have no money.
:notwrong: Good for my wallet and my abs.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:33 pm
D Griff wrote:This is funny/timely - my wife was literally this morning complaining about my 'obsession' over the cost of food and trying to buy/eat inexpensive food/drink.

:scrooge: :plaid: :scrooge:
:impressive:

Seems like y'all spend at least double what we spend, and I think we waste too much.

My goal is to eventually have people hang out at our house vs at bars/restaurants, which is why I like living right in town.
We hang out with people more at home than out, but oddly for the opposite reason. Our place is a destination for most since we're in the middle of nowhere. Makes for fun evenings when you don't have to deal with ordering, bills, etc.
ChrisoftheNorth

This is certainly a consideration as well.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:32 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:46 am

:dat:

Drinks are :waxer: as hell anymore. I am normally cool with a beer special, but :tits: likes to get mixed drinks and they are :troywax: , probably average $15. I just don't like mixed drinks that much. My preferred cocktail is tequila with lime juice and a salted rim, I can make that at home for a buck. I don't keep much beer at home :doe: , so I don't mind getting those out.

I am less of a drink with dinner person but it's nice on a date night or something to grab drinks before or after - you can then extend the fun time being out and even check out two different places which I enjoy.
Yea, if we're going out for drinks to extend the evening after, dinner is indeed a lot cheaper. BUT again, I like the entire experience especially a beer with a burger. And now that beer and my system don't really get along, I tend to order mixed drinks with stuff I don't keep at home and/or don't want to buy, just to try something new.
I struggle with this as at least 1/3 of the time I don't really wind up liking the mixed drink if I try something new. I like pretty much any/all food, so I can venture out but when it comes to spirits, I like basically margs/tequilla, vodka soda, bloody mary, burboun on a few ice cubes... not really much else off the top of my head. A lot of times the :fancy: drinks sound really good and interesting and then I'm not into it, kind of a big gamble of $20. I think I'm just not a cocktail person though. I would rather try an $8 beer that is special in some way.

That is a bummer that brews don't agree with you anymore.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

I can definitely note that this pandemic really took a toll to our economy, as well as most of the world. FWIW the Euro currency has gained value against the US dollar by 14%, it was even until 2019 I believe. Based on some random observations when cheeto took office in 2016 while I was working for travel agency, the europeans basically stopped traveling because they were :rage: at him, plus huge declination of phone calls. At that point thats where I noticed where fast food places have gradually been going up within that time frame to the last days of pre-pandemic. The only way when things will actually go back close to normal is when the pandemic will be on the low once again, and loosen restrictions within international travel. Lets say the pandemic ended in upcoming february, for good. Wait for 4-6 months and we'll get up and running 80-90% of it as before.
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:19 pm I don’t go out much anymore so it doesn’t affect me really.

The absolute worst is ordering through DoorDash or Caviar or something. Literally doubles the price of your meal.
Yeah fuck that shit man... I hate those services if not on a company card :lolol:

I can walk/drive/bike to pick up food for $20... Women love that shit though.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:46 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:19 pm I don’t go out much anymore so it doesn’t affect me really.

The absolute worst is ordering through DoorDash or Caviar or something. Literally doubles the price of your meal.
Yeah fuck that shit man... I hate those services if not on a company card :lolol:

I started to eat out less too, only when I travel or occasional social gathering then sure. It makes me appreciate food better, but I have not yet gone dining in a restaurant :doe:

Oh and I never bother to have it delivered with those apps, if I have a car, why would sit on my couch and wait.

Even before the inflation wasn't in the picture, I always go for a take-out pizza to avoid tipping and delivery fee :bs:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:42 pm

I will agree that the Post Covid food price explosion has me on full :wap: :disgust: "days that used to be" mode on restaurants. I can STILL get an excellent daily driver bottle of red wine at Costco for $12. ZERO VID INFLATION. So I go out and you want to charge me $20 plus for a GLASS of wine that is worse than my DD? Fuck right off with that plan. Also, certain grocery stores charge pretty much the same for any 6 pack of beer. What? So a six pack of Modelo, which is Mexican Bud, costs $13, right next to a six pack of IPA hand crafted by bearded dudes in some warehouse in San Diego County? Don't care for that either.

This is AMERICA. Not the black market in Moscow in 1978. Stop trying to ream me.

Thanks for listening.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:47 pm

I started to eat out less too, only when I travel or occasional social gathering then sure. It makes me appreciate food better, but I have not yet gone dining in a restaurant :doe:

Oh and I never bother to have it delivered with those apps, if I have a car, why would sit on my couch and wait.

Even before the inflation wasn't in the picture, I always go for a take-out pizza to avoid tipping and delivery fee :bs:
THANK YOU
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:33 pm :impressive:

We hang out with people more at home than out, but oddly for the opposite reason. Our place is a destination for most since we're in the middle of nowhere. Makes for fun evenings when you don't have to deal with ordering, bills, etc.
I guess if you have the type of friends/space/time for people to stay overnight that makes sense. I'm thinking more like fire up the speakers and jam/bs for a couple of hours with mostly people that I barely know - the same as I would at a bar but for a tenth of the price. Nobody is driving multiple hours to meet me in the woods, we don't have friends like that.
SAWCE

Pizza is an odd one for me in that it was the "original" delivery food, and I just expect to pay the delivery charge and tip.. everything else I'd rather go pick up than pay inflated app prices, plus fees and shit.

I have been better about driving to pick up pizza recently though. Mostly because the local spot we found and love is just a little too far for us to be in their delivery range and pick up is the only option. Been trying to keep that going when we go for the cheaper chain joints like PJs and Dominos.
Desertbreh

SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:07 pm

Pizza is an odd one for me in that it was the "original" delivery food, and I just expect to pay the delivery charge and tip.. everything else I'd rather go pick up than pay inflated app prices, plus fees and shit.

I have been better about driving to pick up pizza recently though. Mostly because the local spot we found and love is just a little too far for us to be in their delivery range and pick up is the only option. Been trying to keep that going when we go for the cheaper chain joints like PJs and Dominos.
You may eat a lot of plain ass brotein and rice, but I would put your "cheat meal" options up against anybody on this forum. The Friendly alone is Valhalla grade.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I used to work for dominos and most people would just give me on average 6 bucks excluding the pizza for delivery alone, for tip and fee (was $2 at the time). I always think about that when I'm in the mood for such. :scrooge: habits come in handy.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:43 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:32 pm
Yea, if we're going out for drinks to extend the evening after, dinner is indeed a lot cheaper. BUT again, I like the entire experience especially a beer with a burger. And now that beer and my system don't really get along, I tend to order mixed drinks with stuff I don't keep at home and/or don't want to buy, just to try something new.
I struggle with this as at least 1/3 of the time I don't really wind up liking the mixed drink if I try something new. I like pretty much any/all food, so I can venture out but when it comes to spirits, I like basically margs/tequilla, vodka soda, bloody mary, burboun on a few ice cubes... not really much else off the top of my head. A lot of times the :fancy: drinks sound really good and interesting and then I'm not into it, kind of a big gamble of $20. I think I'm just not a cocktail person though. I would rather try an $8 beer that is special in some way.

That is a bummer that brews don't agree with you anymore.
I so used to love beer. But in the last few years, more than 2 of anything will set off heartburn/indigestion AND even if I just do 1 or 2 a few days in a row. So I barely drink it anymore and have switched to wine and liquor.

I've learned what mixed drinks I like, but usually order the oddest thing on the menu or something I'd never in a million years make myself. I've never not liked something, but finding something I love is rare...which indeed makes it an expensive experiment. I like dirty (filthy, really) martinis, and I often use that as a gauge of bartender skill if I order something basic. If you don't know what "filthy" means, and many bartenders don't apparently, I'm not ordering more.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:04 pm
Detroit wrote: We hang out with people more at home than out, but oddly for the opposite reason. Our place is a destination for most since we're in the middle of nowhere. Makes for fun evenings when you don't have to deal with ordering, bills, etc.
I guess if you have the type of friends/space/time for people to stay overnight that makes sense. I'm thinking more like fire up the speakers and jam/bs for a couple of hours with mostly people that I barely know - the same as I would at a bar but for a tenth of the price. Nobody is driving multiple hours to meet me in the woods, we don't have friends like that.
It depends, but wife has invited over people she met on FB in the area with some pretty good results. We usually meet new FB people at some function of some sort to make sure they're not crazy, then invite them by. Usually pretty solid turn on the tunes, share wine/booze, swap stories, etc.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

I will not pay for delivery for food, period.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:51 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:42 pm
I will agree that the Post Covid food price explosion has me on full :wap: :disgust: "days that used to be" mode on restaurants. I can STILL get an excellent daily driver bottle of red wine at Costco for $12. ZERO VID INFLATION. So I go out and you want to charge me $20 plus for a GLASS of wine that is worse than my DD? Fuck right off with that plan. Also, certain grocery stores charge pretty much the same for any 6 pack of beer. What? So a six pack of Modelo, which is Mexican Bud, costs $13, right next to a six pack of IPA hand crafted by bearded dudes in some warehouse in San Diego County? Don't care for that either.

This is AMERICA. Not the black market in Moscow in 1978. Stop trying to ream me.

Thanks for listening.
Agreed 100% on all this. I'm amazed at the price of wine. Indeed, daily drinking bottles at Costco can be had for $8-12. A GLASS of anything is $12 minimum out somewhere, and that's the same or worse DD wine I'm buying at Costco for LESS.
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:27 pm I will not pay for delivery for food, period.
:dat:

Growing up, my dad always went to pick up pizza, we NEVER had it delivered. I just kept that up. We used some delivery back when we lived in the city, and the quality was terrible. Food was warm to cold, took forever, order was wrong/incomplete. I'm not paying for a service to do a worse job than I can do on my own for just a bit of driving.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:51 pm

Thanks for listening.
Agreed 100% on all this. I'm amazed at the price of wine. Indeed, daily drinking bottles at Costco can be had for $8-12. A GLASS of anything is $12 minimum out somewhere, and that's the same or worse DD wine I'm buying at Costco for LESS.
Winking Owl red box is my number one home drink. I get beer when I'm out because it's cheaper and I don't have kegs at home anyway. These days I try not to have more than 2 drinks though, I've been gaining weight constantly since the moving process started.
troyguitar

I'm up about 15 lbs now since March, all from eating/drinking out instead of cooking stuff portioned for a small person. :thisisfine:
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:11 pm

You may eat a lot of plain ass brotein and rice, but I would put your "cheat meal" options up against anybody on this forum. The Friendly alone is Valhalla grade.
Oh man, I grabbed one of their garlic breads and a few burgers a couple of weeks ago. Good lord it tasted even better than I remembered. They had even scaled back the amount of garlic on the bread which was nice.