Appreciating cars... suggestions ? What's the current trend ?

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:57 pm Broadly I think the cars that fall into this category are new enough to not drive like they're old (probably at least late 80s, like an E30), but are also old enough to still be engaging, and all of them have 3 pedals. TONS of stuff fits into this category, and although I do think values might be slightly inflated at the moment, the industry largely isn't building more cars that fit that description, so until all of the auto enthusiasts are dead, these kinds of cars aren't getting cheaper. You could probably find a car to fit every dollar range from $5k-$100k, though, so it totally depends on what you're looking for.
:notwrong: Pretty much any :manuel: depreciates little to none once they reach 10ish years of age, sometimes sooner.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I am quite interested in this discussion too...but ever time I look at things, it feels like the market for everything is still too hot.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I could see well maintained B5 S4s shooting to the moon. Hit me up if you wanna get in on the ground floor.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:04 pm
coogles wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:57 pm Broadly I think the cars that fall into this category are new enough to not drive like they're old (probably at least late 80s, like an E30), but are also old enough to still be engaging, and all of them have 3 pedals. TONS of stuff fits into this category, and although I do think values might be slightly inflated at the moment, the industry largely isn't building more cars that fit that description, so until all of the auto enthusiasts are dead, these kinds of cars aren't getting cheaper. You could probably find a car to fit every dollar range from $5k-$100k, though, so it totally depends on what you're looking for.
:notwrong: Pretty much any :manuel: depreciates little to none once they reach 10ish years of age, sometimes sooner.
And sometimes that third pedal makes the value of a car go to the moon. Take the F430, for example, which was the last Ferrari offered with a :manuel: in any real numbers. The flappy paddle cars can be had for barely $100k, maybe $150k for a really nice one. A F430 with a :manuel: can’t be touched for less than $200k, probably closer to $225-$250k. That clickety-clack is worth a WHOLE lotta money.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Jag XJ-S Or are they still depreciating like lead balloons, as they probably should?

Probably a horror show to maintain.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

wap wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:57 pm Jag XJ-S Or are they still depreciating like lead balloons, as they probably should?

Probably a horror show to maintain.
Most jags are horrible.. I mean if you look at the super rare V12 jags ... they are worthless even TODAY.
British cars seem to be excluded from appreciation. 1995+ anything is horrendous, and most RR are horrendous also.
max225

It really depends on the vehicle. But generally it does seem to be the case. I feel like 80s and 90s, and most pre 2010 vehicles have SHITTY automatics that are way worse than the manual counterparts. This hasn't truly been the case for most since.

So yes pre 2010 I would say :manuel: or bust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:08 pm

It really depends on the vehicle. But generally it does seem to be the case. I feel like 80s and 90s, and most pre 2010 vehicles have SHITTY automatics that are way worse than the manual counterparts. This hasn't truly been the case for most since.

So yes pre 2010 I would say :manuel: or bust.
Even new stuff - Corvettes, Porsches, Z cars, SS, G8, Mustangs, Camaros, Miatas, 86es, M cars... I could go on. The manuals are always worth significantly more.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Man I love this thread, I'm not going to recommend anything since many of you know cars better then I do. I would personally pick up a beautifully sorted MR2 gen 2, and have seen some between 15 and 23k, or a 997.2 911 for 60 to 80k, and the NSX has always topped my list and worth the 80k IMO, and will be worth more. I am fond of gen 1 R8s, and somewhat depreciated Evoras, anything mid-engine is special to me. But this isn't about me, it is about the shopper, and I believe it should be based on an emotional stir.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:49 pm Man I love this thread, I'm not going to recommend anything since many of you know cars better then I do. I would personally pick up a beautifully sorted MR2 gen 2, and have seen some between 15 and 23k, or a 997.2 911 for 60 to 80k, and the NSX has always topped my list and worth the 80k IMO, and will be worth more. I am fond of gen 1 R8s, and somewhat depreciated Evoras, anything mid-engine is special to me. But this isn't about me, it is about the shopper, and I believe it should be based on an emotional stir.
Evora is one of my attainable dream cars... but they seem to just drop in value up to this point. I'll be curious to see if that changes at any point.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:00 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:49 pm Man I love this thread, I'm not going to recommend anything since many of you know cars better then I do. I would personally pick up a beautifully sorted MR2 gen 2, and have seen some between 15 and 23k, or a 997.2 911 for 60 to 80k, and the NSX has always topped my list and worth the 80k IMO, and will be worth more. I am fond of gen 1 R8s, and somewhat depreciated Evoras, anything mid-engine is special to me. But this isn't about me, it is about the shopper, and I believe it should be based on an emotional stir.
Evora is one of my attainable dream cars... but they seem to just drop in value up to this point. I'll be curious to see if that changes at any point.
I'd be cool with one in the 50k range personally, honestly don't have a clue what their low point will be but they are new enough to still be reliable cars and can be enjoyed to their full capacity. Plus there are so few mid-engine cars built under 200k that they are all going to be appreciating sooner or later.

This is such a personal quest, I'm not sure what % of the purchase is for pure enjoyment vs ROI. :iono:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I should ask my friend was his will be worth when he turns his lease in. He's not in love with it.

Shit I'm sure he'd let you drive it Max
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:20 pm I should ask my friend was his will be worth when he turns his lease in. He's not in love with it.

I'd be curious to hear more of his perspective on the car. He want to sign up for DFD?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:24 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:20 pm I should ask my friend was his will be worth when he turns his lease in. He's not in love with it.

I'd be curious to hear more of his perspective on the car. He want to sign up for DFD?
I tried to get my car group chat friends here.

That's his IG feel free to message him about it.
max225

Whoa what’s going on ? Which car ? I have explored evoras but they seem to be depreciating like crazy. Would be nice to add the exact same V6 I already have to the stable 😅
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:43 pm

Whoa what’s going on ? Which car ? I have explored evoras but they seem to be depreciating like crazy. Would be nice to add the exact same V6 I already have to the stable 😅
Evora 400 :manuel:

He lives in San Mateo and likes to throw the keys.

Almost in the color you couldn't get the Taco in
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:09 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:31 pm
I tried to get my car group chat friends here.

That's his IG feel free to message him about it.
Wait, I thought he loved the Evora? What happened?
He does he just enjoys having to work harder to get speed out of a car. The Evora limits are so high, that not even trying is borderline too fast, and none of his friends can keep up. He said for him the SS is more rewarding.

Did you read hushys thread?
Last edited by CaleDeRoo on Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:jimp:
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:03 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:43 pm

Evora 400 :manuel:

He lives in San Mateo and likes to throw the keys.

Almost in the color you couldn't get the Taco in
Not going to lie I don’t hate it one bit 👀
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Yea that's hot.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Haven’t read through all the comments, so it may have already been mentioned, but there’s some speculation that 987 - particularly 987.2 - Caymans could be on the rise over the next few years.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:49 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:10 pm

He does he just enjoys having to work harder to get speed out of a car. The Evora limits are so high, that not even trying is borderline too fast, and none of his friends can keep up. He said for him the SS is more rewarding.

Did you read hushys thread?
I haven’t checked in there lately. Will have to go read.

But I get it, high limits on the street are tough to have fun with.
Yeah that is a good reason. It’s not what I think of when I think Lotus but the Evora 400 is up there. If I ever get one it would probably just be an earlier Evora, they are kind of affordable now and probably avoid the “too fast to have fun” thing.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

‘03 or ‘04 Mustang Cobra coupes. The Terminators. Find a nice coupe that hasn’t been messed with and doesn’t have a shitload of miles and I doubt they’re gonna lose any value.

As mentioned previously, 987 Cayman S. If you’re looking at a 987.2 a PDK is okay since it’s actually a good transmission but good God stay away from the Shitronic in the 987.1. Manual is best anyways. Find one that’s well optioned (no 5 speed, make sure it’s the 6 speed). There was a really nice yellow one that was well optioned, low miles, and completely stock that went for quite a bit on BaT a couple months ago

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006- ... yman-s-84/

Those 987’s are going nowhere but up which makes me kind of sad as they scoot out of reach for me.
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:10 am
4zilch wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:10 am Haven’t read through all the comments, so it may have already been mentioned, but there’s some speculation that 987 - particularly 987.2 - Caymans could be on the rise over the next few years.
I could see this.
I think they already have...

https://nmi.craigslist.org/cto/d/traver ... 19998.html

This just isn't a $27k car to me. But they're rather rare, so :iono:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Detroit wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:34 am
[user not found] wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:10 am

I could see this.
I think they already have...

https://nmi.craigslist.org/cto/d/traver ... 19998.html

This just isn't a $27k car to me. But they're rather rare, so :iono:
COVID could be skewing the price some, but probably not by much in this case.

Also, another :unicorn: that has evaded depreciation is the illustrious CTS-V wagon with a :manuel: