Boats and Motorized Floaty Things

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

It's late July. Bump.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Petition to update thread title to “you motor-boating son of a bitch”
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Boat isn't allowed until :pinshit: is finished.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

We're on the boat all the time, I just don't take pictures much. It starts, we go out, we come back.

I do have some thoughts about the boat and boats in general after owning ours for a few years now but :whocares:

I'll take some pics when we go out tomorrow or Saturday (depending on water).
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:01 pm We're on the boat all the time, I just don't take pictures much. It starts, we go out, we come back.

I do have some thoughts about the boat and boats in general after owning ours for a few years now but :whocares:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRING
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:01 pm We're on the boat all the time, I just don't take pictures much. It starts, we go out, we come back.

Just getting it on plane the wife starts freaking out that it's going to flip. Same when I do get on plane and take it above 30mph. The fucker will do 50 ZFG, it's honestly too much for what she lets me do...putt around and stand in sandbars. We do not need a V8 for that. At least the engine is never even remotely worked.

A 23' pontoon with a 100hp engine would be perfect. :disgust:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:31 pm

Just getting it on plane the wife starts freaking out that it's going to flip. Same when I do get on plane and take it above 30mph. The fucker will do 50 ZFG, it's honestly too much for what she lets me do...putt around and stand in sandbars. We do not need a V8 for that. At least the engine is never even remotely worked.

Have you seen the modular Seadoo pontoon things? So choice.

https://www.sea-doo.com/us/en/pontoons.html
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Sounds like you need some personal hammer down time with this craft.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:33 pm

Look super dope, I'd love that thing on a smaller lake.
It would get obliterated on Lake Huron during a windy/wavy day :doe:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tar wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:04 am

F boating on the great lakes. Even though we lived a couple miles from lake Ontario it was our last option for boating.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:41 pm

I'm going to head out on my own one of these mornings when the water is glass to drop the hammer. Put a new prop on the thing this year that's better for the hole shot but worse for top speed. I think it ended up being too much because dropping the hammer from a standstill is a :plaid: experience (hence the :triggered: about the boat "flipping over"). So now I have to ease it on plane, which is BOOOORRRINNGGGG.

I got it up to 55mph last year, but the new prop might cap it between 45-50. Curious about that. But overall, the boat is too much to enjoy its full potential. I suggested selling it while it's still worth a fortune, but the :triggered: :howdareu: FAMILY BOAT :triggered: :howdareu: that ensued was :impressive:
ChrisoftheNorth

Yea, these things are sweet. I love the innovation, and I'd really like a jet boat since we spend a lot of time putting around shallow water on sandbars and whatnot.

I'd seriously consider a 21 footer if we didn't already have a boat.
ChrisoftheNorth

We're on a large bay of Lake Michigan, and just don't go out if it's windy/wavy, and I certainly wouldn't go out on a boat less than 20 feet. Our boat is 21 feet, and sometimes it feels too small for the water. The ideal minimum would be a 23 IMO.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:09 am

F boating on the great lakes. Even though we lived a couple miles from lake Ontario it was our last option for boating.
Well, our boat lives on a hoist on Lake Michigan, so it's the only water we boat on. F launching a boat every time, I wouldn't even own a boat if that was the requirement.

Fortunately, our bay is skinny, so the water doesn't usually get too bad. We've never gone out to the big open water, don't really see the need or have the desire.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:dat:

@Chris, I feel like you could really benefit from some 'me' time, maybe Infamous could as well? Everyone is different so I'm not here to judge, but the thought of spending every moment 24/7/365 with my spouse is pretty :disgust: and I think we actually have a pretty good/happy marriage by most standards.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:08 am

@Chris, I feel like you could really benefit from some 'me' time, maybe Infamous could as well? Everyone is different so I'm not here to judge, but the thought of spending every moment 24/7/365 with my spouse is pretty :disgust: and I think we actually have a pretty good/happy marriage by most standards.
For sure. Hardest part is we have very few friends where we live, so my doing something on my own is "abandoning her". We're both in therapy now, she's focusing on the abandonment thing while I'm tackling depression. I suspect an outcome will be a bit more alone time for both of us.

But on the boat side, I'm not sure I'm much of a boater. Most of the time we go out, I'm pretty nervous. Between the wife freaking out at any speed on plane and passengers freaking out if I do any sort of sporty maneuver (the boat turns crazy sharp, lateral G's can be :lolol: with this thing), it's really not enjoyable and it's really a waste with this boat. If we had some adrenaline junkie friends, it would be fun to go out with them, but everyone that visits just wants to putt out and stand on a sandbar. I'm kind of concerned that the engine NEVER revs, not sure if that's good for it or not.

When I go out by myself I'm more calm because I don't care what happens and I don't have to treat the throttle so gingerly, but I get bored. Top speed is cool for a minute or two, so are a few donuts and twisties, but after about 10 minutes it's all old and I don't know what else to do. I'd much rather strap in a BRZ and rip around our roads by myself for a few hours. More excitement, more to see, etc. :ohwell:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:20 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:08 am

For sure. Hardest part is we have very few friends where we live, so my doing something on my own is "abandoning her". We're both in therapy now, she's focusing on the abandonment thing while I'm tackling depression. I suspect an outcome will be a bit more alone time for both of us.

But on the boat side, I'm not sure I'm much of a boater. Most of the time we go out, I'm pretty nervous. Between the wife freaking out at any speed on plane and passengers freaking out if I do any sort of sporty maneuver (the boat turns crazy sharp, lateral G's can be :lolol: with this thing), it's really not enjoyable and it's really a waste with this boat. If we had some adrenaline junkie friends, it would be fun to go out with them, but everyone that visits just wants to putt out and stand on a sandbar. I'm kind of concerned that the engine NEVER revs, not sure if that's good for it or not.

When I go out by myself I'm more calm because I don't care what happens and I don't have to treat the throttle so gingerly, but I get bored. Top speed is cool for a minute or two, so are a few donuts and twisties, but after about 10 minutes it's all old and I don't know what else to do. I'd much rather strap in a BRZ and rip around our roads by myself for a few hours. More excitement, more to see, etc. :ohwell:
I definitely agree, I'd rather get my thrills in a car, boating doesn't do a ton for me. If I ever was going to get a boat, I'd likely just pontoon, but I really don't want one of those either. Maybe you would grow to enjoy hooning if you went out on your own a few times to get comfortable without anyone else getting all :howdareyou:

Sounds like Infamous just hates being alone, which is challenging. It's funny, I fucking love being alone. :tits: has been in Charleston with a friend since Wednesday morning (she's off for the summer) and it's just been me and the :doge: , haven't seen another soul in over 48 hours other than a group bike ride I did Wednesday night where I was with some people for two hours. I do have some phone time at work :doe: Some people just aren't wired for that though, hopefully the therapy helps her, but she may never really dig being solo.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:48 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:20 am

I definitely agree, I'd rather get my thrills in a car, boating doesn't do a ton for me. If I ever was going to get a boat, I'd likely just pontoon, but I really don't want one of those either. Maybe you would grow to enjoy hooning if you went out on your own a few times to get comfortable without anyone else getting all :howdareyou:

Sounds like Infamous just hates being alone, which is challenging. It's funny, I fucking love being alone. :tits: has been in Charleston with a friend since Wednesday morning (she's off for the summer) and it's just been me and the :doge: , haven't seen another soul in over 48 hours other than a group bike ride I did Wednesday night where I was with some people for two hours. I do have some phone time at work :doe: Some people just aren't wired for that though, hopefully the therapy helps her, but she may never really dig being solo.
Yea, she hates being alone, I love being alone. It's a bit of a problem, but she'll visit her family in CA for a few weeks and I stay home with the animals, We also have friends and family visit and she'll go off with them while I work or something (I don't make it a point to take time off if her family is visiting, she can handle that).

But on the boat...I dunno. I'm comfortable with it by myself, but pretty much only by myself. I'm surprised how sketchy people feel on a boat, or maybe it's just our boat? I really hate being "captain" because I have to work really hard to keep everyone comfortable and safe feeling. In a fucking 250hp 21' speedboat. People freak if you catch a bit of air off a wave, freak in slightly rough water when the bow slams down, freak when going WOT and the bow rises before getting on plane, Doesn't help when the wife starts yelling that I'm "out of control and unsafe" YOU FUCKING DRIVE THEN (we argue more on the boat than on land). I feel like I spend the entire time trying to make the boat feel like something it's not. IT'S DESIGNED TO DO THESE THINGS. It wants to go fast, and turn sharp and hop waves (within reason). A pontoon would be such a better fit for us, but ZOMG CAN'T SELL THE FAMILY BOAT :triggered: :howdareu:

Honestly, I don't think Michele likes the boat at all. But since we bought it from her family, she feels obligated to like it and keep it. If she'd calm the fuck down, I'd enjoy it more too. We've had the conversation a few times now, she always promises to be better, but then the freakouts inevitably start if I hit the throttle too hard getting on plane, or hop a wave and the bow slams down, or something THAT THE BOAT JUST DOES. :rolleyes:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:57 pm

Yea, she hates being alone, I love being alone. It's a bit of a problem, but she'll visit her family in CA for a few weeks and I stay home with the animals, We also have friends and family visit and she'll go off with them while I work or something (I don't make it a point to take time off if her family is visiting, she can handle that).

But on the boat...I dunno. I'm comfortable with it by myself, but pretty much only by myself. I'm surprised how sketchy people feel on a boat, or maybe it's just our boat? I really hate being "captain" because I have to work really hard to keep everyone comfortable and safe feeling. In a fucking 250hp 21' speedboat. People freak if you catch a bit of air off a wave, freak in slightly rough water when the bow slams down, freak when going WOT and the bow rises before getting on plane, Doesn't help when the wife starts yelling that I'm "out of control and unsafe" YOU FUCKING DRIVE THEN (we argue more on the boat than on land). I feel like I spend the entire time trying to make the boat feel like something it's not. IT'S DESIGNED TO DO THESE THINGS. It wants to go fast, and turn sharp and hop waves (within reason). A pontoon would be such a better fit for us, but ZOMG CAN'T SELL THE FAMILY BOAT :triggered: :howdareu:

Honestly, I don't think Michele likes the boat at all. But since we bought it from her family, she feels obligated to like it and keep it. If she'd calm the fuck down, I'd enjoy it more too. We've had the conversation a few times now, she always promises to be better, but then the freakouts inevitably start if I hit the throttle too hard getting on plane, or hop a wave and the bow slams down, or something THAT THE BOAT JUST DOES. :rolleyes:
I guess I kind of get it, I didn't grow up boating or anything and would likely feel antsy as well... but maybe I'd think it was a hoot, :iono: I tend to trust people to stay within their limits (maybe to a fault). I've ridden with [user not found] on the Tail of the Dragon going full 10/10 and it didn't bother me at all, I thought it was fun as hell. At least if we careened off the mountain we'd go out having an awesome time? :iono:

It's funny though, I love being by the water, swimming in the ocean, etc. but the water always still does make me a bit antsy.

I can see where this would be a point of contention :doe: I HATE back seat drivers and whenever :tits: gets :sass: about me 'doing something dangerous' or 'out of control and unsafe' (pretty much sounds like a direct quote between our :tits: :lolol: ) I am just like, whatever, you fucking drive. And then she goes way faster than me. She has hit way more shit and gotten more tickets than me, and never mind the fact that I have logged like 100 hours of driving at the limit on road courses and autox, much of it with pro instructors. That just makes me 'more dangerous'.

:rage:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:03 pm

I guess I kind of get it, I didn't grow up boating or anything and would likely feel antsy as well... but maybe I'd think it was a hoot, :iono: I tend to trust people to stay within their limits (maybe to a fault). I've ridden with [user not found] on the Tail of the Dragon going full 10/10 and it didn't bother me at all, I thought it was fun as hell. At least if we careened off the mountain we'd go out having an awesome time? :iono:

It's funny though, I love being by the water, swimming in the ocean, etc. but the water always still does make me a bit antsy.

I can see where this would be a point of contention :doe: I HATE back seat drivers and whenever :tits: gets :sass: about me 'doing something dangerous' or 'out of control and unsafe' (pretty much sounds like a direct quote between our :tits: :lolol: ) I am just like, whatever, you fucking drive. And then she goes way faster than me. She has hit way more shit and gotten more tickets than me, and never mind the fact that I have logged like 100 hours of driving at the limit on road courses and autox, much of it with pro instructors. That just makes me 'more dangerous'.

I'm an extremely cautious person...especially when out on the water. I took 2 boater safety courses and have spent some time with more experienced boaters learning how to read the water and not get in trouble. But the backseat driving, is a bit much...especially when it triggers the other passengers to get uneasy. She never wants to drive, soooo :ohwell:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:36 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:03 pm

I'm an extremely cautious person...especially when out on the water. I took 2 boater safety courses and have spent some time with more experienced boaters learning how to read the water and not get in trouble. But the backseat driving, is a bit much...especially when it triggers the other passengers to get uneasy. She never wants to drive, soooo :ohwell:
That is the :tits: logic :doe: ...

Someone who has taken the time to learn the limits, practices, and controls is somehow significantly less qualified to determine safety than their feelings.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:45 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:36 pm
That is the :tits: logic :doe: ...

Someone who has taken the time to learn the limits, practices, and controls is somehow significantly less qualified to determine safety than their feelings.
There's all the videos of stupid people not knowing the limits on boats and flipping them and she thinks we're going to replicate that every time. I've even watched the videos with her and pointed out everything the captain did wrong to put them in that terrible situation, but :nope: I'm hellbent on killing us when on the water.

:rolleyes:

So now, my refusal to go out on anything less than perfect water conditions and no wind means we use the boat once a week if that. I'd off the thing, but :howdareu: :triggered: ensues as soon as I mention it.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Not to get all up in your Captaincy, but do you trim the outdrive when you start out of the hole? That will get you on plane faster. Also trim tabs might be 4U.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:14 pm Not to get all up in your Captaincy, but do you trim the outdrive when you start out of the hole? That will get you on plane faster. Also trim tabs might be 4U.
Yep, always trim down before the hole shot then adjust up to find the sweet spot on plane. This new prop BITES, bow always rises a bit then it pops on plane pretty quickly. But since the prop bites so hard, the hole shot is quite exhilarating combined with the bow raising even just a bit it's apparently too much for the wife and anyone else I've had on the boat this year. So I'm learning to ease it on plane despite most people telling me that it's better for the hull to just blast up and get on plane ASAP (I also find it fun like launching a drag car, but I'm the only one). I should probably put the old prop back on, but it's pretty chewed up...which is why it didn't really bite as hard.

I'm not investing a thing in this boat outside of maintenance. Trim tabs :notsure: we don't really have issues with the boat being level on plane. Sometimes we need to adjust who's sitting where, but that's it.

We should really just have a pontoon.