Office Workouts

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

My mid section is going to need the most work. Still a lot of fat to drop, but trying to work in more core stuff to give my arms/upper body a break.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:59 am
SAWCE wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:52 am

I think letting them rest a full day between is the best option, but a single set of 20 (or two sets of 10 depending on where you’re at) on a few of those days just to move some blood should be fine. As soon as they start to feel achy, just give yourself and extra day or so off every week.
Perfect, thanks dude!
Happy to help!!
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:53 am
Detroit wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:49 am
This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I'm in a great groove right now and I REALLY don't want an avoidable injury fucking that up. I assumed that I wasn't at much risk because it's low impact and low volume, but I'm also rather green and don't want to mess anything up.

Should I let muscle groups rest entirely or just less volume? Like 3 days 100+ and then 2 days 20-40 im between? Or am I better off just doing none for the in-between days and focusing on legs/and/something instead?
Do the legs. Trunks or no trunks, up and down the hall with dumbbells will light those things aflame. Get a pullup bar. Do some curls and tricep extensions. Get huge. Listen to Ted Nugent. Buy a large caliber hunting rifle.
This is the way.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:44 am

At a minimum I’d say take 36 hours between training the same muscle group twice. So every other day is generally fine. You aren’t weight-lifting, and your total volume is relatively low, so you can probably get away with push-ups 4-5 days a week, but rather than muscle issues you’ll want to look for overuse issues in your joints like your elbows as mentioned before. Doing push-ups 5 days a week feels great, until you get tendonitis in your elbows and have to take a month off for it to clear up.
This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I'm in a great groove right now and I REALLY don't want an avoidable injury fucking that up. I assumed that I wasn't at much risk because it's low impact and low volume, but I'm also rather green and don't want to mess anything up.

Should I let muscle groups rest entirely or just less volume? Like 3 days 100+ and then 2 days 20-40 im between? Or am I better off just doing none for the in-between days and focusing on legs/and/something instead?
If you want to do more volume, add more on the on days and take days off...

Like say:
M/W/F: 150 pushups, five sets of lunges, five sets over head press with the dumbbells
T/TH: Dumbbell curls, pull ups, rows

The easiest way to look at is is a "pull day" and a "push day". There will be a bit of overlap, but anything where you're pulling (rows, chin/pull ups, curls, etc) works your back/biceps. Push (bench press, push ups, over head press) will work your chest, shoulders, and triceps more. You can add in core or legs to either one, so maybe alternate between push/core days and pull/leg days or vice-versa. There is some crossover (i.e. pushups will work your back a little) but I wouldn't sweat that at all with what you're doing.

This is great as you can burn calories/exercise/feel good every day but still give the muscles 48 hours to rest.

Winter has fucked up my cadence a bit and I've been overtraining sort of, but generally since the pandemic, I like doing upper body lifting one day, cycling the next, repeat. It gives my muscles time to rest but I prefer to exercise daily and don't really like full-on off days (mostly because I like to eat a lot of calories).
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:39 am

If you want to do more volume, add more on the on days and take days off...

Like say:
M/W/F: 150 pushups, five sets of lunges, five sets over head press with the dumbbells
T/TH: Dumbbell curls, pull ups, rows

The easiest way to look at is is a "pull day" and a "push day". There will be a bit of overlap, but anything where you're pulling (rows, chin/pull ups, curls, etc) works your back/biceps. Push (bench press, push ups, over head press) will work your chest, shoulders, and triceps more. You can add in core or legs to either one, so maybe alternate between push/core days and pull/leg days or vice-versa. There is some crossover (i.e. pushups will work your back a little) but I wouldn't sweat that at all with what you're doing.

This is great as you can burn calories/exercise/feel good every day but still give the muscles 48 hours to rest.

Winter has fucked up my cadence a bit and I've been overtraining sort of, but generally since the pandemic, I like doing upper body lifting one day, cycling the next, repeat. It gives my muscles time to rest but I prefer to exercise daily and don't really like full-on off days (mostly because I like to eat a lot of calories).
I like this a lot, excellent suggestion. I think I'll work on this routine.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

140 pushups and crunches yesterday. I can't recall ever doing that in my life. Not even sore today, but focusing on "pull" weight stuff as griff mentioned.

This has been a revelation for me. I so much hate the gym and being forced to work out for XX minutes. Now, I just do a little bit here and there if/when I get bored or have a bit of down time. Cardio is achieved by walking/hiking outside and hopefully a new bike soon. I've never had issue with going outside for cardio, but this indoor weight type stuff was always a struggle for me.

It's only been a few weeks, but the increasing definition in my arms/shoulders/back/chest is :impressive:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:25 am 140 pushups and crunches yesterday. I can't recall ever doing that in my life. Not even sore today, but focusing on "pull" weight stuff as griff mentioned.

This has been a revelation for me. I so much hate the gym and being forced to work out for XX minutes. Now, I just do a little bit here and there if/when I get bored or have a bit of down time. Cardio is achieved by walking/hiking outside and hopefully a new bike soon. I've never had issue with going outside for cardio, but this indoor weight type stuff was always a struggle for me.

It's only been a few weeks, but the increasing definition in my arms/shoulders/back/chest is :impressive:
Excellent
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:25 am 140 pushups and crunches yesterday. I can't recall ever doing that in my life. Not even sore today, but focusing on "pull" weight stuff as griff mentioned.

:fuckyeah:

That is awesome, man!

I sometimes miss the barbells/gym stuff, but it has been pretty cool to find a similar rhythm during COVID where I can save time by working stuff into my regular routine.
ChrisoftheNorth

Been following the "push/pull" day plan griff posted earlier because it's easy for my simple brain to follow. 160 pushups yesterday, and Monday, curls/rows/lunges Tuesday and today. I do 140 crunches every day. Downside there is it doesn't burn fat, but I can feel underneath the fat some rock hardness going on.

I've never ever been in this kind of shape. 160 push ups in one day? Just a month ago I would have said :yeahok: The definition in my arms, chest, and especially shoulders and back is :impressive: for the level of effort (not that much TBH).

It's just amazing because I'm doing all of this while I work. It's so easy to step back and do a few reps of curls or 20 pushups or whatever and then resume working. And it's $free.99! There's really no excuse if you WFH all the time.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:26 am Been following the "push/pull" day plan griff posted earlier because it's easy for my simple brain to follow. 160 pushups yesterday, and Monday, curls/rows/lunges Tuesday and today. I do 140 crunches every day. Downside there is it doesn't burn fat, but I can feel underneath the fat some rock hardness going on.

I've never ever been in this kind of shape. 160 push ups in one day? Just a month ago I would have said :yeahok: The definition in my arms, chest, and especially shoulders and back is :impressive: for the level of effort (not that much TBH).

It's just amazing because I'm doing all of this while I work. It's so easy to step back and do a few reps of curls or 20 pushups or whatever and then resume working. And it's $free.99! There's really no excuse if you WFH all the time.
Yeah buddy! Keep it up!
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:06 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:26 am Been following the "push/pull" day plan griff posted earlier because it's easy for my simple brain to follow. 160 pushups yesterday, and Monday, curls/rows/lunges Tuesday and today. I do 140 crunches every day. Downside there is it doesn't burn fat, but I can feel underneath the fat some rock hardness going on.

Yeah buddy! Keep it up!
Oh I will, thanks for the motivation and expertise. I wouldn't be doing any of this without you!
ChrisoftheNorth

All you guys, really. This is why I love DFD.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:nice: man!

It doesn't have to be super complex, particularly if the goal is just general fitness.

There also tends to be diminishing returns with over training, sometimes less isn't necessarily more, but it is still plenty.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:50 pm

:nice: man!

It doesn't have to be super complex, particularly if the goal is just general fitness.

There also tends to be diminishing returns with over training, sometimes less isn't necessarily more, but it is still plenty.
Yea, I'm not really amping up anything, fully expecting diminishing returns. I'm really in this more for general fitness, a bit of physical definition, but mostly to do something other than sit on my ass all day.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:09 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:06 am

Yeah buddy! Keep it up!
Oh I will, thanks for the motivation and expertise. I wouldn't be doing any of this without you!
:wub:
SAWCE

I think I’ve shared this before in the main chat, but if I haven’t, if any of you need protein or other supplements I have a coupon code for the brand that I’ve used pretty much since I started lifting. ALIUS10 in the discount code box at check out gets you 10% off of everything at animalpak.com. I imagine you’re good for now, but if you ever do want to add in some whey protein or try their fat burner, joint supplements, or anything else you can sue that, and I’m always here to answer questions about the products/give first hand feedback. Full disclaimer, I get a kickback from purchases with my code as well, so we both win!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:55 pm I think I’ve shared this before in the main chat, but if I haven’t, if any of you need protein or other supplements I have a coupon code for the brand that I’ve used pretty much since I started lifting. ALIUS10 in the discount code box at check out gets you 10% off of everything at animalpak.com. I imagine you’re good for now, but if you ever do want to add in some whey protein or try their fat burner, joint supplements, or anything else you can sue that, and I’m always here to answer questions about the products/give first hand feedback. Full disclaimer, I get a kickback from purchases with my code as well, so we both win!
I just used this code yesterday and I will say, the Animal protein has been great. It's tasty, mixes well, works nicely in water/milk/yogurt. I don't think protein supplements are necessarily key to what Chris is doing, but it really comes down to the diet, IMO. I have cut back on meat a bit over the past year or two for environmental reasons and the whey really helps keep protein levels sufficient. It is also a great dessert substitute mixed up with some yogurt (and other stuff like fruit) if you have a sweet tooth. It's also a lot cheaper than :meat: as a protein source typically, and keeps fat intake down comparatively.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:38 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:55 pm I think I’ve shared this before in the main chat, but if I haven’t, if any of you need protein or other supplements I have a coupon code for the brand that I’ve used pretty much since I started lifting. ALIUS10 in the discount code box at check out gets you 10% off of everything at animalpak.com. I imagine you’re good for now, but if you ever do want to add in some whey protein or try their fat burner, joint supplements, or anything else you can sue that, and I’m always here to answer questions about the products/give first hand feedback. Full disclaimer, I get a kickback from purchases with my code as well, so we both win!
I just used this code yesterday and I will say, the Animal protein has been great. It's tasty, mixes well, works nicely in water/milk/yogurt. I don't think protein supplements are necessarily key to what Chris is doing, but it really comes down to the diet, IMO. I have cut back on meat a bit over the past year or two for environmental reasons and the whey really helps keep protein levels sufficient. It is also a great dessert substitute mixed up with some yogurt (and other stuff like fruit) if you have a sweet tooth. It's also a lot cheaper than :meat: as a protein source typically, and keeps fat intake down comparatively.
:wub: I love protein mixed into Greek yogurt. Amazing healthy “pudding” and ice head freezing it for a bit gives it an ice cream-like texture :notbad:

They’re doing a crazy deal on their protein bars right now. Buy two boxes, get one free, and my code stacks on that too, so you end up with 36 bars for $50.40 :notbad: works out to $1.40 per bar, and they’re seriously delicious. The berry crunch tastes like those dark chocolate covered berries, and the peanut butter crunch is like a Reese’s cup with a hint of more salt. They’re like candy bars, you’d never guess it was a protein bar.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:08 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:38 am

:wub: I love protein mixed into Greek yogurt. Amazing healthy “pudding” and ice head freezing it for a bit gives it an ice cream-like texture :notbad:

They’re doing a crazy deal on their protein bars right now. Buy two boxes, get one free, and my code stacks on that too, so you end up with 36 bars for $50.40 :notbad: works out to $1.40 per bar, and they’re seriously delicious. The berry crunch tastes like those dark chocolate covered berries, and the peanut butter crunch is like a Reese’s cup with a hint of more salt. They’re like candy bars, you’d never guess it was a protein bar.
Dang, I should've added some of those on, maybe I'll pick up an order.

:lolol: I didn't mention the "ice cream" comparison as I was crucified for saying that, but it is pretty 5/7.

Plain greek yogurt, a spoon full of crunchy peanut butter, a scoop of chocolate and maybe even a soft banana mixed up and thrown in the freezer for a bit is 5/7. It's still like 400+ calories, but at least pretty good macros for a dessert. Banana + berries + yogurt + vanilla protein is also really good. This local fast food place I love here, Cookout (think NC In N Out) has a shake called Banana Berry 3 that I love, this is my healthy at home version. I bet in a blender with ice it would really be almost the same.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:18 am
SAWCE wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:08 am

Dang, I should've added some of those on, maybe I'll pick up an order.

:lolol: I didn't mention the "ice cream" comparison as I was crucified for saying that, but it is pretty 5/7.

Plain greek yogurt, a spoon full of crunchy peanut butter, a scoop of chocolate and maybe even a soft banana mixed up and thrown in the freezer for a bit is 5/7. It's still like 400+ calories, but at least pretty good macros for a dessert. Banana + berries + yogurt + vanilla protein is also really good. This local fast food place I love here, Cookout (think NC In N Out) has a shake called Banana Berry 3 that I love, this is my healthy at home version. I bet in a blender with ice it would really be almost the same.
:fuckyeah: that sounds awesome
ChrisoftheNorth

Right now, I'm just trying to get fat off and get in a good workout routine. I literally started from nothing, and I know for ME to be successful, I need to take it a step at a time. If I go all the way too fast, burn out is real.

So right now, I've got a solid routine established, and weight loss appears to be stable. The scale indicates that I've lost nothing, but I can feel muscle mass in my arms, shoulders, and core so I'm sure that's the difference...I'm ignoring the scale and using the mirror to gauge fat loss, and that's actually been pretty motivating as I'm noticing small losses on an almost weekly basis (though I expect that to plateau at any moment).

For my diet, I'm just focusing on veggies and lean protien like chicken breast, fish, eggs, and occasional red meat. I'm staying conscious of calorie decisions, trying to stay in a deficit every day. I only eat when I'm hungry, which lately results in a late lunch ~2pm and light dinner before 8pm.

It's once I reach the maintenance portion where I'm most worried and I think I need to pay closer attention to what I eat and with an established workout regimen I'd like to work a bit on bulking up A TAD. Unfortunately, I just don't find this very interesting or entertaining, so it's never going to be a passion, but I want to look but more importantly FEEL like I'm in excellent shape. I almost hit 300lbs at 33 years old, and that was a scary moment that I vowed to never let happen again. That was 2 years ago now, I'm down in the 240's, still losing fat, but feeling great with the increased workouts.

Brandon, I'll hit you up for some diet/supplement/etc advice in a few months hopefully. Seriously appreciate the effort and will absolutely support where I can. :excited:
SAWCE

Going by the mirror instead of the scale is great. Like you said, there will be lots of times that the scale doesn’t move, but you can see changes happening. People who only rely on the scale won’t appreciate that progress and get frustrated when in reality they’re making an amazing change by swapping small amounts of fat for muscle.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:06 pm Going by the mirror instead of the scale is great. Like you said, there will be lots of times that the scale doesn’t move, but you can see changes happening. People who only rely on the scale won’t appreciate that progress and get frustrated when in reality they’re making an amazing change by swapping small amounts of fat for muscle.
This is what I believe is happening. I can wear clothes that haven't fit for YEARS right now, yet the scale indicates I've lost nothing in the last ~month. Feeling around my mid section, there's major hardness going on under the fat. Just need the fat to go to see it...it's happening.

The biggest thing is staying positive and having realistic expectations. If I've learned anything over the last few years it's that sustainable fat loss and improving fitness is really a long-term thing. Can't get discouraged if things plateau in the short term, and they have on me a number of times. I'm just glad to be where I am today and a workout regimen that should last.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:36 am Right now, I'm just trying to get fat off and get in a good workout routine. I literally started from nothing, and I know for ME to be successful, I need to take it a step at a time. If I go all the way too fast, burn out is real.

So right now, I've got a solid routine established, and weight loss appears to be stable. The scale indicates that I've lost nothing, but I can feel muscle mass in my arms, shoulders, and core so I'm sure that's the difference...I'm ignoring the scale and using the mirror to gauge fat loss, and that's actually been pretty motivating as I'm noticing small losses on an almost weekly basis (though I expect that to plateau at any moment).

For my diet, I'm just focusing on veggies and lean protien like chicken breast, fish, eggs, and occasional red meat. I'm staying conscious of calorie decisions, trying to stay in a deficit every day. I only eat when I'm hungry, which lately results in a late lunch ~2pm and light dinner before 8pm.

It's once I reach the maintenance portion where I'm most worried and I think I need to pay closer attention to what I eat and with an established workout regimen I'd like to work a bit on bulking up A TAD. Unfortunately, I just don't find this very interesting or entertaining, so it's never going to be a passion, but I want to look but more importantly FEEL like I'm in excellent shape. I almost hit 300lbs at 33 years old, and that was a scary moment that I vowed to never let happen again. That was 2 years ago now, I'm down in the 240's, still losing fat, but feeling great with the increased workouts.

Brandon, I'll hit you up for some diet/supplement/etc advice in a few months hopefully. Seriously appreciate the effort and will absolutely support where I can. :excited:
:nice:

You are likely getting plenty of protein in as-is based on that diet. It sounds like you've learned the fundamental thing, which is finding a good rhythm FOR YOU. I actually count all of my calories M-F every week. I eat a good bit (like 3K+ cals daily on average) but it helps keep me accountable and seeing it on my phone tracked keeps me away from going crazy with cookies and other sweets. A lot of people absolutely hate tracking their food, so, IMO, they shouldn't do it. If you pay attention to it for a bit, you learn enough to know what works for you. I like the accountability of tracking, but for others, it's so tedious that they give up and revert to bad habits.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:27 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:36 am Right now, I'm just trying to get fat off and get in a good workout routine. I literally started from nothing, and I know for ME to be successful, I need to take it a step at a time. If I go all the way too fast, burn out is real.

:nice:

You are likely getting plenty of protein in as-is based on that diet. It sounds like you've learned the fundamental thing, which is finding a good rhythm FOR YOU. I actually count all of my calories M-F every week. I eat a good bit (like 3K+ cals daily on average) but it helps keep me accountable and seeing it on my phone tracked keeps me away from going crazy with cookies and other sweets. A lot of people absolutely hate tracking their food, so, IMO, they shouldn't do it. If you pay attention to it for a bit, you learn enough to know what works for you. I like the accountability of tracking, but for others, it's so tedious that they give up and revert to bad habits.
Yea, no way am I tracking my food. But I also don't need to because I eat really infrequently and we keep bad stuff out of the house. I'm conscious about my food decisions, and that works. I'm trying to stay under 2k/day...which I've achieved for the last few weeks no problem with :tits: gone. She likes to cook, and that results in more larger meals. Still good/healthy stuff, just more calories.