Office Workouts

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:55 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:44 pm If you find that that’s too many carbs or you naturally eat more fat or less fat, you can change that % of fat to 20, 25, 35 or whatever suits your body type and eating habits.

Low carb/Keto isn’t the answer for everyone. Low fat isn’t the answer for everyone. Find what balance of those macros you feel best on and can easily stick to, and run with it.
I think low carb is great to kick off weight loss, but not ideal for long term weight maintenance or health.
Agreed. Especially since people tend to get more and more active as the weight comes off and moving becomes easier and more enjoyable. Carbs are quick energy and you need them to fuel that movement.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I'm pleased with weight loss. Diet changed radically with COVID resulting in steady but sustainable decreases. I'm eating way better in a way that I can make stick, so thats good. I suspect I'll be where I want to be with weight/fat by the spring. I'm down at least 30lbs since March and 60 lbs from the March before that (my heaviest). I'm 6'5 and 240 now, my goal is 220-230 and I'm confident that I'm on the course to get there.

So my jobba comment was more regarding flab not so much fat. My stomach in particular needs more weight loss, but also toning in general. Arms are just packing definition, same with my chest. My body has a propensity toward man boobs, and I want to keep that in check as much as possible.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:57 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:55 pm

I think low carb is great to kick off weight loss, but not ideal for long term weight maintenance or health.
Agreed. Especially since people tend to get more and more active as the weight comes off and moving becomes easier and more enjoyable. Carbs are quick energy and you need them to fuel that movement.
Once I reach the point where I need to maintain weight and balance with my cardio efforts, then I need to pay more attention to diet. I don't restrict myself from anything, but make conscious substitutions where it makes sense. I minimize bread and pasta replacing with lettuce and cauliflower broccoli and other sort of "high fill" (for me) veggies. I suspect that my carb intake will need to increase eventually, especially in the summer when I'm going non stop.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:25 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:21 pm I'm pleased with weight loss. Diet changed radically with COVID resulting in steady but sustainable decreases. I'm eating way better in a way that I can make stick, so thats good. I suspect I'll be where I want to be with weight/fat by the spring. I'm down at least 30lbs since March and 60 lbs from the March before that (my heaviest). I'm 6'5 and 240 now, my goal is 220-230 and I'm confident that I'm on the course to get there.

So my jobba comment was more regarding flab not so much fat. My stomach in particular needs more weight loss, but also toning in general. Arms are just packing definition, same with my chest. My body has a propensity toward man boobs, and I want to keep that in check as much as possible.
Just need to burn fat in general. Cardio and some high intensity stuff will help boost metabolism. Same thing I told :mahtroy:

The first place you put it on will be the last place it comes off.

Also, lay off the Badger Milk.
Been trying to replace Badger Milk with Fight Milk, but that's been a rough go. Dat crowtein :doe:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:05 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:02 pm

Standing desk would be a good start.
:rolleyes: :tits: said they're hideous and :nope: on the idea in the house. It's also tough being a giant to have something that you can both sit and stand at. Instead, I'm making it a point to get up and walk or exercise every 20 minutes. Seems to be working, but I do miss my stand up desk.

I was one of the first adopters of standing desks like 12 or so years ago at my first job. I maintained that until my last employer made it nearly impossible with open seating.
:wtf:

Your :tits: is off the rails these days.

That said, I hate standing while doing computer work. I'd rather just get up and take quick walk breaks or something and sit on my ass at the computer.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:07 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:05 pm
:rolleyes: :tits: said they're hideous and :nope: on the idea in the house. It's also tough being a giant to have something that you can both sit and stand at. Instead, I'm making it a point to get up and walk or exercise every 20 minutes. Seems to be working, but I do miss my stand up desk.

I was one of the first adopters of standing desks like 12 or so years ago at my first job. I maintained that until my last employer made it nearly impossible with open seating.

That said, I hate standing while doing computer work. I'd rather just get up and take quick walk breaks or something and sit on my ass at the computer.
That's the thing, WFH I'm at the desk way less than the office. It made sense when I was chained to my desk at the office, but at home I only sit there when I have to, which is maybe only a few hours a day on average. I make it a point to get up and walk around more or do house work or just push ups. Did 100 push ups yesterday (through the course of the day 5x 20), maybe for the first time in my life, which was :fuckyeah:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:30 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:07 am

That's the thing, WFH I'm at the desk way less than the office. It made sense when I was chained to my desk at the office, but at home I only sit there when I have to, which is maybe only a few hours a day on average. I make it a point to get up and walk around more or do house work or just push ups. Did 100 push ups yesterday (through the course of the day 5x 20), maybe for the first time in my life, which was :fuckyeah:
:nice:

Like Desert said, pushups are fantastic for overall fitness and strength. Be aware that it may aggravate your elbows if you start doing a bunch. Counteract them with some rows with your dumbells, this should help strengthen around your elbows and prevent any issues coming up from the pushups.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:40 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:30 am

Like Desert said, pushups are fantastic for overall fitness and strength. Be aware that it may aggravate your elbows if you start doing a bunch. Counteract them with some rows with your dumbells, this should help strengthen around your elbows and prevent any issues coming up from the pushups.
Excellent tip!

Elbows are fine today, muscles are a tad sore, but it feels like the right ones. I did 40 this morning, but will probably take a break the rest of the day because I don't want to overdo it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:44 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:40 am

Excellent tip!

Elbows are fine today, muscles are a tad sore, but it feels like the right ones. I did 40 this morning, but will probably take a break the rest of the day because I don't want to overdo it.
Early on in COVID when I was freaking a bit about losing gym access, I was doing 300-400 pushups/day at least three work days/week and my elbows were killing me, especially when riding my bike. I was definitely overdoing it, but wanted to make sure others avoided that.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:54 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:44 am
Excellent tip!

Early on in COVID when I was freaking a bit about losing gym access, I was doing 300-400 pushups/day at least three work days/week and my elbows were killing me, especially when riding my bike. I was definitely overdoing it, but wanted to make sure others avoided that.
I've got a ways to go to get to 3-400/day but I'll get there. I really appreciate the tip, I'll work on my elbows a bit so I don't run into road blocks as I work up to the 3-400 number.
ChrisoftheNorth

Yesterday was the third day in a row of 100 pushups and 100 crunches. My energy levels are quite a bit higher than they have been in the past, and I'm not even sore. Pretty incredible how much of a difference something small like this makes. And it's so easy while I'm working. :mindblown:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:43 am Yesterday was the third day in a row of 100 pushups and 100 crunches. My energy levels are quite a bit higher than they have been in the past, and I'm not even sore. Pretty incredible how much of a difference something small like this makes. And it's so easy while I'm working. :mindblown:
:fuckyeah: nice work man! Basics like that are really all you need.

Once you get that bike, the core strength will really help as well. :mahtroy: could learn from you :lolol:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:33 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:43 am Yesterday was the third day in a row of 100 pushups and 100 crunches. My energy levels are quite a bit higher than they have been in the past, and I'm not even sore. Pretty incredible how much of a difference something small like this makes. And it's so easy while I'm working. :mindblown:

Once you get that bike, the core strength will really help as well. :mahtroy: could learn from you :lolol:
Only made it through 60 of each today, my muscles got pretty sore, so I think it's time for a break. Can't tell if it's the 300 pushups/situps in 3 days or the 5 30+ foot tall trees I cut down and up over the same time frame. THAT'S a workout!

My goal is to be in pretty decent(ish) shape by the time I start riding again so I'm not just constantly kicking my ass. I want biking to be fun, not some time challenge that I need to beat. And to an extent, that's how I'm approaching my office workouts, I enjoy the learning and building the basics. Once I can effortlessly do 100 pushups a day I'll do a bit more and start adding in the kettle bells, bands, and other exercises to keep from getting bored. That's really all this is...a way to combat boredom.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:59 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:33 pm

Only made it through 60 of each today, my muscles got pretty sore, so I think it's time for a break. Can't tell if it's the 300 pushups/situps in 3 days or the 5 30+ foot tall trees I cut down and up over the same time frame. THAT'S a workout!

My goal is to be in pretty decent(ish) shape by the time I start riding again so I'm not just constantly kicking my ass. I want biking to be fun, not some time challenge that I need to beat. And to an extent, that's how I'm approaching my office workouts, I enjoy the learning and building the basics. Once I can effortlessly do 100 pushups a day I'll do a bit more and start adding in the kettle bells, bands, and other exercises to keep from getting bored. That's really all this is...a way to combat boredom.
You need to switch it up brah. Hit those lunges with the dumbbells
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:45 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:59 pm

Just curious as to why? Is it for muscle recovery? if so, how much time do muscles need to recover? My legs are like 100 year old oak tree trunks, the last part of my body that "needs work", but I don't want to sit idle for a day if resting the other muscles. Lunges would still be great for definition and stamina on the bike. Just curious as I'm somewhat new to this. Figured push ups could be a daily thing ZFG?
SAWCE

You can save your elbows a bit by varying your hand position and upper arm angle. Wider hands with your arms flared more will put more work on your shoulders and your elbows won’t bend quite as much. A closer hand position with your elbows tucked in by your sides will cause your elbows to bend more at the bottom and you’ll use more triceps. In the middle with your elbows slightly tucked will emphasize your chest more and will have your elbow bend between the two other variations.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:54 am

Just curious as to why? Is it for muscle recovery? if so, how much time do muscles need to recover? My legs are like 100 year old oak tree trunks, the last part of my body that "needs work", but I don't want to sit idle for a day if resting the other muscles. Lunges would still be great for definition and stamina on the bike. Just curious as I'm somewhat new to this. Figured push ups could be a daily thing ZFG?
At a minimum I’d say take 36 hours between training the same muscle group twice. So every other day is generally fine. You aren’t weight-lifting, and your total volume is relatively low, so you can probably get away with push-ups 4-5 days a week, but rather than muscle issues you’ll want to look for overuse issues in your joints like your elbows as mentioned before. Doing push-ups 5 days a week feels great, until you get tendonitis in your elbows and have to take a month off for it to clear up.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

You should work muscle groups hard enough that there is SOME residual effect the next day that needs to be healed. It doesn't have to be ZOMG total destruction, but if you're not hitting it hard enough to feel something the next day/need some recovery, what's the point?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The work/recovery cycle is something that becomes addicting. There are worse things to be addicted to.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:44 am
At a minimum I’d say take 36 hours between training the same muscle group twice. So every other day is generally fine. You aren’t weight-lifting, and your total volume is relatively low, so you can probably get away with push-ups 4-5 days a week, but rather than muscle issues you’ll want to look for overuse issues in your joints like your elbows as mentioned before. Doing push-ups 5 days a week feels great, until you get tendonitis in your elbows and have to take a month off for it to clear up.
This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I'm in a great groove right now and I REALLY don't want an avoidable injury fucking that up. I assumed that I wasn't at much risk because it's low impact and low volume, but I'm also rather green and don't want to mess anything up.

Should I let muscle groups rest entirely or just less volume? Like 3 days 100+ and then 2 days 20-40 im between? Or am I better off just doing none for the in-between days and focusing on legs/and/something instead?
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:49 am

This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I'm in a great groove right now and I REALLY don't want an avoidable injury fucking that up. I assumed that I wasn't at much risk because it's low impact and low volume, but I'm also rather green and don't want to mess anything up.

Should I let muscle groups rest entirely or just less volume? Like 3 days 100+ and then 2 days 20-40 im between? Or am I better off just doing none for the in-between days and focusing on legs/and/something instead?
I think letting them rest a full day between is the best option, but a single set of 20 (or two sets of 10 depending on where you’re at) on a few of those days just to move some blood should be fine. As soon as they start to feel achy, just give yourself and extra day or so off every week.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Do the legs. Trunks or no trunks, up and down the hall with dumbbells will light those things aflame. Get a pullup bar. Do some curls and tricep extensions. Get huge. Listen to Ted Nugent. Buy a large caliber hunting rifle.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:45 am
You should work muscle groups hard enough that there is SOME residual effect the next day that needs to be healed. It doesn't have to be ZOMG total destruction, but if you're not hitting it hard enough to feel something the next day/need some recovery, what's the point?
I need to learn what my body is telling me. I'm not entirely sure what too much or too little is. After 100/day, I can certainly feel some residual the next day, but it's not at all taking me down...I can do 100 more the next day no problem. So that's where I need to be smarter and/or understand when enough is enough.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:52 am

I think letting them rest a full day between is the best option, but a single set of 20 (or two sets of 10 depending on where you’re at) on a few of those days just to move some blood should be fine. As soon as they start to feel achy, just give yourself and extra day or so off every week.
Perfect, thanks dude!
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:53 am

Do the legs. Trunks or no trunks, up and down the hall with dumbbells will light those things aflame. Get a pullup bar. Do some curls and tricep extensions. Get huge. Listen to Ted Nugent. Buy a large caliber hunting rifle.
:lolol: I won't be getting huge with my routine, just trying to get less flabby.

Oh yeah, I've been doing curls with my 30lb dumbbells, but those are just 3x10 reps a day. There's been noticable improvement in arm/shoulder/upper body definition after just a week and a half...I'm surprised.