The resident Turk vehicular thread

Strut your greasy stuff!
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:01 am The Countryman is pretty shitty, I don't get why everyone here loves them.
Ohhh noo, im not considering a slow ass school bus with apologies for $36k minimum. or even at all. I had a small good run with a manual, which I missed for a while and that's about it. Ultimately im comparing brz with :manuel: vs cuntrymahman :manual: acceleration wise, as im kinda addicted to low end torque from a 4 banger 2.slow turbo. So going for a slightly slower with NA motor and :manuel: is something I will live with even if I get beaten with a Honda Oddysey, but I don't street race. Most of my spirited :stig: driving, I feel like I have more fun bombing off ramps and backroads that's just as curvy as kim kardashians fake booty than I do pure speed. Plus it is way more easier to be attainable, I'll take a carmax trip to test drive one.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:25 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:01 am The Countryman is pretty shitty, I don't get why everyone here loves them.
Ohhh noo, im not considering a slow ass school bus with apologies for $36k minimum. or even at all. I had a small good run with a manual, which I missed for a while and that's about it. Ultimately im comparing brz with :manuel: vs cuntrymahman :manual: acceleration wise, as im kinda addicted to low end torque from a 4 banger 2.slow turbo. So going for a slightly slower with NA motor and :manuel: is something I will live with even if I get beaten with a Honda Oddysey, but I don't street race. Most of my spirited :stig: driving, I feel like I have more fun bombing off ramps and backroads that's just as curvy as kim kardashians fake booty than I do pure speed. Plus it is way more easier to be attainable, I'll take a carmax trip to test drive one.
Regular Mini S is pretty sweet if you want that turbo torque in a fun package. Or you could go back to the Supra, :manuel: is $$ :doe:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Love is a strong word. I think some people here want a mini because it is arguably a really fun/quality/unique car. And a country man injects practicality through size.

So overall at least on paper it seems like a good idea.

The $5000 BMW ULTIMATE SERVICE quote at 30k miles quickly erodes that pipe dream and you're left wrenching in your driveway like a loser. And the "fun" gets eroded as a countryman is 1000lbs-1200lbs heavier than a cooper.
max225

IMO, don't take this the wrong way. But you won't like the BRZ or a MINI after the accord. They are too compromised...
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:05 am
Love is a strong word. I think some people here want a mini because it is arguably a really fun/quality/unique car. And a country man injects practicality through size.

The $5000 BMW ULTIMATE SERVICE quote at 30k miles quickly erodes that pipe dream and you're left wrenching in your driveway like a loser. And the "fun" gets eroded as a countryman is 1000lbs-1200lbs heavier than a cooper.
:dat: when you compare to a lot of crossovers, it does feel better. As far as space and storage, outside of the trunk compared to the pooper, there's not a lot of storage. Steering feels good, cornering on ramps felt sketchy when you pass a certain speed where GTI's and even :tits: fiesta would carve it no problem. Shifter feels good which I suspect as good as the pooper, granted never driven one. And it feels just as bumpy like you would expect in probably in a hype r. The one I rented off turo in particular had 2017 with 70k miles and parts of the interior already started peeling.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:44 am

Regular Mini S is pretty sweet if you want that turbo torque in a fun package. Or you could go back to the Supra, :manuel: is $$ :doe:
Supra is still an option and perhaps the mini, maybe s5 sportback, I know some dealers won't do :bs: markups according to fb b58 forums. I drove the cucktrek for a couple days and these thoughts kicked in. Especially considering that I will be getting a much shorter commute where probably on warmer days I'd go by my bike or get an electric bike. I'm talking less than 10 miles roundtrip. But then again, I don't plan to pull the plunge until probably I move first.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:08 am

IMO, don't take this the wrong way. But you won't like the BRZ or a MINI after the accord. They are too compromised...
Having a sedan with a back seat enough room to make magic happen with decent power, takes regular, drives good for it's own right is nice. On some rare occasions, whenever I have friends, family, :tits: friends its nice to have.

I have parents cucktrek to borrow every once in a while whenever I need to carry passengers or whenever they're out of the country it can be my winter beater. Also :tits: and I talked that we can take her car subie ute of sorts that she's dead set on whenever we go on a winery trip, her commute is pretty short and she wants a nfg johnny p style car, she really likes the wilderness bro edition with the cladding.

Also I plan on biking on my commute when the weather is nice for it
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:05 am

I get the Mini love... but the Countryman sucks. I rented one for five days and immediately rented a Cucktrek for five days after, the Cucktrek drives a lot better, has more room, etc. The Countryman isn't fun at all.
max225

Did the countryman have an engine or was it that 3 cylinder 120hp nub of a motor?

I for one don’t even like the regular cooper S. It doesn’t get “fun” until the 200hp barrier gets crossed. Chop off 25% of the engine and add 50% weight. It’s not even the same “brand” anymore. Might as well drive a Mitsubishi
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:08 am Did the countryman have an engine or was it that 3 cylinder 120hp nub of a motor?

I for one don’t even like the regular cooper S. It doesn’t get “fun” until the 200hp barrier gets crossed. Chop off 25% of the engine and add 50% weight. It’s not even the same “brand” anymore. Might as well drive a Mitsubishi
Yes, so it was slow as balls but the chassis also wasn't at all fun, inputs boring, auto nothing to write home about. The Cucktrek I compared it to also had a natty 2.0 and was slow as hell, but it still drove way better, even with a CVT. Countryman is still a turd regardless of powah.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:33 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:08 am Did the countryman have an engine or was it that 3 cylinder 120hp nub of a motor?

Yes, so it was slow as balls but the chassis also wasn't at all fun, inputs boring, auto nothing to write home about. The Cucktrek I compared it to also had a natty 2.0 and was slow as hell, but it still drove way better, even with a CVT. Countryman is still a turd regardless of powah.
Not sure which one you had but a full blown countryman is almost 4000lbs... in a small package... these cars are quite "dense" and heavy for what they are. Hell even my mini was 2600lbs and it was barely a car... You add 1000lbs to that and compare that to a 3100lb cross trek and of course that will be more fun. They are just different vehicles IMO.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:35 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:33 pm

Not sure which one you had but a full blown countryman is almost 4000lbs... in a small package... these cars are quite "dense" and heavy for what they are. Hell even my mini was 2600lbs and it was barely a car... You add 1000lbs to that and compare that to a 3100lb cross trek and of course that will be more fun. They are just different vehicles IMO.
Yes but the Crosstrek also has more space and is cheaper! It even had better tech. They are the same class of vehicle, not my fault if the 'MINI' is stupidly heavy for what it is.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:37 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:35 pm

Yes but the Crosstrek also has more space and is cheaper! It even had better tech. They are the same class of vehicle, not my fault if the 'MINI' is stupidly heavy for what it is.
Yea you're :notwrong: here. But the compare for a countryman is an X5 or X3, not a cross trek... It is a customer who doesn't want a behemoth SUV but needs/wants extra space from a fun quirky brand. Unfortunately BMW gave up on the brand circa 2019.;. As they picked up on the fact that everyone now wants SUVs.

All the tech dates back to the last refresh in 2014.. so it's nearly a decade old. It is quite sad... for ex the camera quality in my 2016 mini was WAY better than my 2022 Toyota... and the stereo quality was excellent as was most of the tech for the time... but as mentioned I am starting to get the feeling BMW is killing the brand so all you're seeing is legacy products to a glory time of the past.

I loved the mini for what it was, unfortunately it doesn't fit my lifestyle anymore. But the brand is dead... hell 2 dealers around me closed (SF+One near me), and another dealer got combined with BMW... that's UNHEARD of for any other brand here. I haven't seen a dealer close since 2008.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:44 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:37 pm

Yea you're :notwrong: here. But the compare for a countryman is an X5 or X3, not a cross trek... It is a customer who doesn't want a behemoth SUV but needs/wants extra space from a fun quirky brand. Unfortunately BMW gave up on the brand circa 2019.;. As they picked up on the fact that everyone now wants SUVs.

All the tech dates back to the last refresh in 2014.. so it's nearly a decade old. It is quite sad... for ex the camera quality in my 2016 mini was WAY better than my 2022 Toyota... and the stereo quality was excellent as was most of the tech for the time... but as mentioned I am starting to get the feeling BMW is killing the brand so all you're seeing is legacy products to a glory time of the past.

I loved the mini for what it was, unfortunately it doesn't fit my lifestyle anymore. But the brand is dead... hell 2 dealers around me closed (SF+One near me), and another dealer got combined with BMW... that's UNHEARD of for any other brand here. I haven't seen a dealer close since 2008.
THe bolded may be true but that's all the more reason that it is :disgust: that it is actually a far worse vehicle in every way but maybe style. :ohwell:

:pouroneout: for the actually Minis, they are quite cool cars IMO.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

That's the one I had, it doesn't feel like dogshit slow like I would expect, maybe the manual makes it seem like its quicker, at least thats what my butt dyno tells me. But I can clearly tell it's slow as balls.

After renting an outlander, I'd still take the mini :manuel: than the mitsu, atleast it's not as noisy. It was an experience, :manuel: was the best part along with decent steering ratio/feel/turn in, other than that meh in every other department. Not worth it.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Fellas, It has been a while.

Accord is still holding on great!
I have had a few dents on the car which I have just recently repaired via pdr. Nothing crazy to report. A couple of times when I tilt the sunroof it tends to make a rubbery noise on random times and doesn't do it again for a while. Did not bother me too much, just not expected for a Honda imo (wait it is built in the US).
She's 42k miles on the clock. Mileage has slowed down as I hadn't took it to any roadtrips since Chicago last January.

For the Clio, last time I've driven it was last summer. Right now my parents are being in Turkey more often this year. They were in Turkey for most of the fall, visited for a few weeks in January, then they're visiting today for another 2-3 weeks. My mom has survived her chemo, but her final operations hasn't been done yet, once that wraps up, they're coming back here towards end of may. So they've been using the Clio ever since, took the car to Greece on a roadtrip just recently, just nothing to report.

Even though my Clio may be a puny 1.3 turbo, the engine was discontinued about a year after we got the car, so when my dad took it to oil change, the service advisor asked if they're considering to sell the car. Because of our absurd tax, 1.3 Clio's have higher tax rate than the 1.0's (NA and Turbo) which are the only available engines now in Turkey. I've been seeing it on instagram, in turkish car pages, 1.3 clio's dominate the 320i's and a3's with 1.5t I think and the like. The 1.3 still exists on the Megane though, the Golf equivalent of Renault that also offers the sedan variant. We have been debating to trade it in for a Peugeot 308 as the new one looks fire af.

Since my parents aren't here as much this year, I drive their cucktrek from time to time.

I have driven it to my girlfriend parents house in Bluefield, VA, which is a 4 hour drive. The car handled the trip great, but compared to accord, I found the seats to me more uncomfortable compared to the accord. Went to a few wineries, which I had some fun on some rough gravel roads. It is a great city car filled with potholes nfg. I'd love to drive it to Philly for a day trip go try it on those rough roads before they are finalizing their consideration to :plac: for an outback. The cuck is a lease and our sales person is happy to accommodate whenever we make a decision as such.

:plac: plans.

My girlfriend and I have fully finalized on moving to Silver Spring, Maryland, which is right by the DC border of the north, it is really close to her work (school) and her barre studio + is a fairly walkable area with what you need. She doesn't wanna own the car for a while so we will pull the one car family plunge, so she will dump the Fiesta. Also leads me to a much shorter commute. I decided :plac: for lease a gr86/brz :manuel: of course once we are settled in. The move is strictly planned for this August, probably September I will :plac:

I will forever remember the accord :doe:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:40 am Fellas, It has been a while.

I have had a few dents on the car which I have just recently repaired via pdr. Nothing crazy to report. A couple of times when I tilt the sunroof it tends to make a rubbery noise on random times and doesn't do it again for a while. Did not bother me too much, just not expected for a Honda imo (wait it is built in the US).
She's 42k miles on the clock. Mileage has slowed down as I hadn't took it to any roadtrips since Chicago last January.

For the Clio, last time I've driven it was last summer. Right now my parents are being in Turkey more often this year. They were in Turkey for most of the fall, visited for a few weeks in January, then they're visiting today for another 2-3 weeks. My mom has survived her chemo, but her final operations hasn't been done yet, once that wraps up, they're coming back here towards end of may. So they've been using the Clio ever since, took the car to Greece on a roadtrip just recently, just nothing to report.

Even though my Clio may be a puny 1.3 turbo, the engine was discontinued about a year after we got the car, so when my dad took it to oil change, the service advisor asked if they're considering to sell the car. Because of our absurd tax, 1.3 Clio's have higher tax rate than the 1.0's (NA and Turbo) which are the only available engines now in Turkey. I've been seeing it on instagram, in turkish car pages, 1.3 clio's dominate the 320i's and a3's with 1.5t I think and the like. The 1.3 still exists on the Megane though, the Golf equivalent of Renault that also offers the sedan variant. We have been debating to trade it in for a Peugeot 308 as the new one looks fire af.

Since my parents aren't here as much this year, I drive their cucktrek from time to time.

I have driven it to my girlfriend parents house in Bluefield, VA, which is a 4 hour drive. The car handled the trip great, but compared to accord, I found the seats to me more uncomfortable compared to the accord. Went to a few wineries, which I had some fun on some rough gravel roads. It is a great city car filled with potholes nfg. I'd love to drive it to Philly for a day trip go try it on those rough roads before they are finalizing their consideration to :plac: for an outback. The cuck is a lease and our sales person is happy to accommodate whenever we make a decision as such.

My girlfriend and I have fully finalized on moving to Silver Spring, Maryland, which is right by the DC border of the north, it is really close to her work (school) and her barre studio + is a fairly walkable area with what you need. She doesn't wanna own the car for a while so we will pull the one car family plunge, so she will dump the Fiesta. Also leads me to a much shorter commute. I decided :plac: for lease a gr86/brz :manuel: of course once we are settled in. The move is strictly planned for this August, probably September I will :plac:

Yeah, those are :nice:

And the wagons are :jimp:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:22 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:40 am Fellas, It has been a while.

The wagon is :megusta: too. But turkish car market is basically in between European market vs American market(not much wagons compared to Europe as it used to be), meaning not much wagon offerings (especially 308 only being the hatch) :sad: We don't even get the Megane hatch anymore and yet Europe does. Also since I share with family, they want the 3008 which is a CUV :disgust: , sure it is more comfortable, but it seems to handle good as the 308 if not better.

Our vehicle taxes are embarrassingly ridiculous coupled with the shitty economy where more and more people couldn't buy new cars anymore. One month left for the election and to see which direction it is heading.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:20 pm It's been a while. I am now back on DFD on a regular, :sad: it ain't as active as it used to be, but feeling optimistic. I love ranting :lolol:

Onto the Accord. She is quite the mileage trooper. Ever since I met :tits: I go to DC constantly, maybe 4 times a week at best.
Roadtrips:
NYC - 4x
Boston > Maine
DC > Savannah > Tampa > Orlando > Daytona > back
Bumfuck nowhere in southern VA with West VA border.
Philly
Multiple trips to Rehoboth
Chicago
Dozen trips to the country wineries, breweries or hiking.
Multiple business trips for that certain gigs when she was new.
I managed to make 39k miles for 15 months. But the mileage is getting slower. The accord isn't gonna go anywhere other than maybe NY or Rehoboth.

Sometime in April my family wanted to visit Miami and wants to drive, but since the cucktrek is a lease, we're switching cars, so im gonna rock the cucktrek for that week.
I have 3 days off this week and Accord is taking a small break.

My commute is roughly 55 miles roundtrip for the new gig + if I work in the morning it could hit 60 (damned hov and :waxer: ez pass roads where I have to detour) / 36 to 40 roundtrip at my last gig (depending on which route to take).
But that commute won't be there for long as I'm going to move to the city or a lot closer to city in the upcoming fall.

--

Reliability, I truly have nothing to report, car still runs like the day I bought, granted it is practically a highway commuter car and not involved with traffic as much until recently. But I will say I found the paint to be weak. It doesn't crack, nor bubble. But I did find there, and I don't even know how the hell I have gotten that dent on the edge of my roof. Other than that I'm happy with what I have although it does feel boring at times, going :stig: helps but I don't do it as much, I do have the :plac: itch.

--

As for the french shitbox.
My family has been driving it around since the summer as I hadn't been there and ultimately I will be there shorter in Turkey for this summer due to the new job and I have plans during the summer here as well, plan on doing one trip by car and one by plane, cause time is valuable.
My engine in particular, which is a 1.3t 4 banger was only available for the first 2 years of that gen, then they discontinued. Especially in Turkey, my Clio is in high demand and people constantly ask for it. Just last winter, the car went there for service and the service advisor asked my dad if they're planning on selling the car, claimed that you have a really good spec, people go crazy for these as these engines aren't offered in the Clio anymore. Yes some people in Turkey thinks 130 hp is powerful. it is faster than a lot of cars in it's class, that's for sure. She's just gonna be there whenever I visit, nothing to report for reliability concerns.

Just my update.
I ALSO realized I have posted dents I've found (1 pictured) and found couple more. They bothered me so I took it to a pdr and they're now flawless, Now I'm looking into detail with paint correction as one of the stealers fucked up the paint with swirl marks and it just kills on the inside by looking at it. So I'll look into that soon but surely. Maybe if it was white I might careless, but swirlmarks are a fucking eyesore once your car is caked with swirls.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:09 pm
wap wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:22 am

The wagon is :megusta: too. But turkish car market is basically in between European market vs American market(not much wagons compared to Europe as it used to be), meaning not much wagon offerings (especially 308 only being the hatch) :sad: We don't even get the Megane hatch anymore and yet Europe does. Also since I share with family, they want the 3008 which is a CUV :disgust: , sure it is more comfortable, but it seems to handle good as the 308 if not better.

Our vehicle taxes are embarrassingly ridiculous coupled with the shitty economy where more and more people couldn't buy new cars anymore. One month left for the election and to see which direction it is heading.
3008? :blech:
:popcorn: on the bolded.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

40k miles in 18 months is pretty wild… how much would you estimate was the commute
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:51 pm 40k miles in 18 months is pretty wild… how much would you estimate was the commute
I have had multiple commute changes and I also used to take more roadtrips (especially beginning of the ownership) hence the mileage. Now since I've only been commuting to DC, my monthly average is more 1,500 miles now. Which is how I used to be when I had my GTI's.

Ever since I jumped on the hotel bandwagon, the shithole I used to work was 17-20 miles roundtrip depending on route, but I was also visiting my girlfriend in DC frequently as well, so from my house it's 25 miles one way (30 being the highest depending on route choosing to avoid in case of traffic or hov).

Now that I work close to downtown DC (literally 8 blocks from White house), my roundtrip ranges from 50-60 depending on which route to take. Roughly 1,200 a month just to commute alone, but one of the off days I spent the night with :tits: but I also stay say about couple nights and have the accord sit and take a scooter to work as its only a hair over a mile from work.

Once we move, our commute will be much shorter, mine estimated as 8 miles one way.
max225

Yea you should run the :math: around moving too.. 50 cents a mile or so is the cost (post tax)or prob 70 cents pre tax … if you’re spending 1200miles a month commuting it can be a yuge extra expense.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

FWIW I would think long/hard before leasing a BRZ. Now that cars don't depreciate, leasing seems quite ill advised. You can just buy a car and drive it free.

I just got a Carvana offer for the lolz on the :jeep: and we could dump it and be at $138/month depreciation and $200 in maintenance for 40K miles. Leasing it would've been like $500+.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:23 pm FWIW I would think long/hard before leasing a BRZ. Now that cars don't depreciate, leasing seems quite ill advised. You can just buy a car and drive it free.

I just got a Carvana offer for the lolz on the :jeep: and we could dump it and be at $138/month depreciation and $200 in maintenance for 40K miles. Leasing it would've been like $500+.
Here is a new :math: equation for ya.

50k car … can now make you 5.15% risk free. That’s $215 a month in interest. But yea obviously tons of other variables. I’m kind of regretting buying it that way. But cost of cash spiraled upwards after I got it …