OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Black box is good. But I can’t remember whether it was Franzia or not but that shit tasted like flipping wine flavored koolaid.

College days were consisting of taking the plastic pouch that holds the wine inside the box, and chugging it after giving it a slap like a giant titty
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:Black box is good. But I can’t remember whether it was Franzia or not but that shit tasted like flipping wine flavored koolaid.

College days were consisting of taking the plastic pouch that holds the wine inside the box, and chugging it after giving it a slap like a giant titty
Franzia makes both wine and a number of blends that are more like alcoholic fruit punch. Their red sangria is actually the only product from them that I buy. My normal wines are from Bota Box, costs a ton more than Franzia but tastes good to me.

A $10+ bottle is a special occasion item here - and in New York that's every bottle. The crappiest shit you can get here is generally $10.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:26 am
max225 wrote:Black box is good. But I can’t remember whether it was Franzia or not but that shit tasted like flipping wine flavored koolaid.

Franzia makes both wine and a number of blends that are more like alcoholic fruit punch. Their red sangria is actually the only product from them that I buy. My normal wines are from Bota Box, costs a ton more than Franzia but tastes good to me.

A $10+ bottle is a special occasion item here - and in New York that's every bottle. The crappiest shit you can get here is generally $10.
My go to is barefoot, $8.99 for 1.5liters of Pinot Grigio glory
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

There’s a really cheap cab bottle that Michelle or I will grab sometimes, Firefly Ridge... can usually be found for like $5-6. Not the best taste, but end result is the same so :aintcare:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:26 am

Yeah, I agree with all of this. Franzia has actual wine which is really not good, they have some sweet stuff that is kind of good in the right setting. Other boxed wines are actually pretty solid and, while 2-3X more than Franzia/liter, are still a pretty economical, tasty, and convenient way to achieve a buzz.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:31 am
troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:26 am Franzia makes both wine and a number of blends that are more like alcoholic fruit punch. Their red sangria is actually the only product from them that I buy. My normal wines are from Bota Box, costs a ton more than Franzia but tastes good to me.

My go to is barefoot, $8.99 for 1.5liters of Pinot Grigio glory
I'm more of a red wine man, but Barefoot is indeed not terrible and quite the bargain.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:54 am Whiskey is a better coat per drunk ratio FWIW. Lower calorie and no sugar too.
Is it though .... alcohol itself has tons of calories. A shot of vodka is 100 cals
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Yeah it is still the "healthiest" option as it doesn't have any calories outside of just the alc, beer, wine, etc. all have at least a bit of sugar/carbs/other shit.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:54 am Whiskey is a better coat per drunk ratio FWIW. Lower calorie and no sugar too.
:notsure:

3L of wine or 750mL whiskey cost about the same and there's a little more alcohol in the wine. Depends on what you buy and your local prices :doe:

Things I occasionally buy here:

Jim Beam Rye $28 for 750mL @ 45% alcohol = 338 mL alcohol = $.08/mL

Bota Box Redvolution $21 for 3000mL @ 13.5% alcohol = 405 mL alcohol = $.05/mL

The whiskey is 60% more expensive per volume of alcohol.
troyguitar

It's comparing 2 things that I enjoy equally, that are available in my local stores, at the prices they cost in those stores.

Never heard of Early Times but I can guarantee you it's not $20 here if it's available at all.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:27 am Happy Friday y’all! :fuckyeah:
:dat:
Heading into a 4 day weekend. :fuckyeah:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:45 am
troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:41 am It's comparing 2 things that I enjoy equally, that are available in my local stores, at the prices they cost in those stores.

Never heard of Early Times but I can guarantee you it's not $20 here if it's available at all.
Sure, but that's not the math I was doing.

Old Overholt Bonded Rye is identical (identical) to that Jim Beam Rye, just bottled at a slightly higher proof and will be $3 less than the Beam (even in NY).
Assuming that it is actually on the shelf here, sure. $3 less is still way more than the wine :doe: - it would need to be $10 less to be in the ballpark.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:41 am It's comparing 2 things that I enjoy equally, that are available in my local stores, at the prices they cost in those stores.

That is key... I like cheap beer (Miller High Life, etc) and fairly cheap wine like Bota/Black Box, Barefoot a lot. Cheap whiskey is not good, IMO. I haven't had Early Times but I've had many a $20 liter of hard liquor and never actually enjoyed it unless mixed with soda or something.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:35 am

3L of wine or 750mL whiskey cost about the same and there's a little more alcohol in the wine. Depends on what you buy and your local prices :doe:

This is the most Troy post ever. I love it.
:therapist:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:29 am JP Morgan is asking senior staff to return to office. Game over on WFH starts today.
Weird, here in Bank Town USA all of my friends working in finance have been told they won't be back until 6/2021 at the earliest - this is from TIAA, Wells Fargo, and BofA to name a few where people I know work.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:55 am

That is key... I like cheap beer (Miller High Life, etc) and fairly cheap wine like Bota/Black Box, Barefoot a lot. Cheap whiskey is not good, IMO. I haven't had Early Times but I've had many a $20 liter of hard liquor and never actually enjoyed it unless mixed with soda or something.
If only you knew a whiskey influencer who could tell you what $20 whiskey is actually very good.
:therapist:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I think I will actually have some wine while I work later this afternoon now that we're talking about it.
troyguitar

The cheapest whiskey that I kind of like, though not nearly as much as the wine, is the Old Grand Dad 100 proof 1 liter bottle. At $26/L it's almost exactly the same cost as the wine per volume of alcohol. I normally only enjoy it in coffee or a cocktail :doe: because I'm a pussy and 100 proof tastes more like burning than anything to me.

Seems like a combo of whiskey having higher markups here plus me liking cheap wine more than cheap whiskey. I'd rather have vodka if I'm going for super cheap. Sobieski is something like $15/L and I like it just fine... though the "no sugar" part is out the window when you mix it with gatorade.
Last edited by troyguitar on Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Calvinball wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:57 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:55 am

If only you knew a whiskey influencer who could tell you what $20 whiskey is actually very good.
I probably will try Early TImes since he mentioned it... although the current bottle I have of Makers Cask will probably last six more months, so it will be a while. That one was a gift, I think it's probably a $60+ bottle.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:35 am

:math: , motherfuckers
wap

troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:59 am The cheapest whiskey that I kind of like, though not nearly as much as the wine, is the Old Grand Dad 100 proof 1 liter bottle. At $26/L it's almost exactly the same cost as the wine per volume of alcohol. I normally only enjoy it in coffee or a cocktail :doe: because I'm a pussy and 100 proof tastes more like burning than anything to me.

Seems like a combo of whiskey having higher markups here plus me liking cheap wine more than cheap whiskey. I'd rather have vodka if I'm going for super cheap. Sobieski is something like $15/L and I like it just fine... though the "no sugar" part is out the window when you mix it with gatorade.
Sobieski is legit :notbad: , especially at it's price point.

Do you like gin? New Amsterdam is pretty fantastic, IMO, at low $20's/ 750ml.
wap

Come to think of it, Tito's is pretty good vodka at a similar price.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

The low cal/sugar Gatorade still tastes pretty good if you like mixing with that. Some :scrooge: LaCroix knockoff type stuff would be 0 cals and dece as well for a poverty-spec WhiteClaw.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:10 pm Come to think of it, Tito's is pretty good vodka at a similar price.
THis is usually what I get for vodka, but like the whiskey, a bottle lasts a year or two. I should pick up some gin :doe: , good idea.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

My favorite cheap bourbon that's available pretty much everywhere is Buffalo Trace.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.