Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:49 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:14 pm
Is it up there too in real numbers? That's rather :|

I'm just amazed that people fall for this. She's a well educated individual with a history in journalism (undergrad in it even). She totally buys the stories through "deep research", which must be checking some box in her brain for legitimacy. I mentioned that anyone can write anything on the internet with no sources, but she claims I need to "do the research myself to see the truth". :wat: :nope: Ain't nobody got time for that :fullretard:

But if you have nothing but time on your hands, I can see how this could spiral.
If you've got nothing but time on your hands, you should be dividing it between becoming an accomplished woodworker, welder, and working on your garage full of classic cars. Not reading shit on the fucking internet.
Fucking Amen to that.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

There ain't nothin :wrong: with reading.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:13 pm There ain't nothin :wrong: with reading.
No, there isn't. But what is wrong is reading stuff with ambiguous at best sources and taking it for fact. I read some of this Qanon stuff, it makes shitty fiction if you can keep it in your mind as just that.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:22 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:13 pm There ain't nothin :wrong: with reading.
No, there isn't. But what is wrong is reading stuff with ambiguous at best sources and taking it for fact. I read some of this Qanon stuff, it makes shitty fiction if you can keep it in your mind as just that.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:56 pm Oh, met a QAnon believer (follower?) this weekend. Was...interesting.

She's a friend we've known for many years, lives up here not far from us. She and her husband came over this Saturday to see the house and hang. They're our age, DINKS, super normal and chill...we've always gotten along. Toward the end of the night after putting back a few bottles of wine between the 4 of us, she started asking questions about our time in California and if we'd ever witnessed devil worship out there. Wife and I glanced at each other and responded with a slow :wat: "nooooo.......?" Then she point blank asked if we we've done any "research into the truth and Qanon". Her husband rolled his eyes as hard as I've seen someone roll their eyes, tried to change the subject fast, and ushered them out within 30 minutes. Could tell we was NOT INTO IT. I was so curious that I kept asking her to elaborate, every time he tried to shut her down and change the topic. But from what I could gather, I get it. Not the conspiracy (that's :fullretard: to me) but I can see how someone might get into believing a conspiracy theory...any, and especially one so directly tied to current .gov leadership (and not directly denounced...that's the big thing here).

Isolation, boredom, and the internet being your only window to the outside world seems very dangerous. Michele said "they need more friends", and she's absolutely right. The fact that someone so normal in all other ways could be so :fullretard: with conspiracy is scary to me. Makes me wonder if this is more common than I realize.
:disgust:

The downside to living so remote and far away from normal (sub)urban life? :iono:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:49 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:14 pm
Is it up there too in real numbers? That's rather :|

I'm just amazed that people fall for this. She's a well educated individual with a history in journalism (undergrad in it even). She totally buys the stories through "deep research", which must be checking some box in her brain for legitimacy. I mentioned that anyone can write anything on the internet with no sources, but she claims I need to "do the research myself to see the truth". :wat: :nope: Ain't nobody got time for that :fullretard:

But if you have nothing but time on your hands, I can see how this could spiral.
If you've got nothing but time on your hands, you should be dividing it between becoming an accomplished woodworker, welder, and working on your garage full of classic cars. Not reading shit on the fucking internet.
:dat:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:49 pm If you've got nothing but time on your hands, you should be dividing it between becoming an accomplished woodworker, welder, and working on your garage full of classic cars. Not reading shit on the fucking internet.
Baking :bread:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
wap

Melon wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:39 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:49 pm If you've got nothing but time on your hands, you should be dividing it between becoming an accomplished woodworker, welder, and working on your garage full of classic cars. Not reading shit on the fucking internet.
Baking :bread:
:dat:
Or brewing beer, gardening, painting a room or 3 in your :haus: , learning a language, get in shape, etc, etc, etc...
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Got an oil change, rotation and inspection on the GTI. $95 before tax. :notbad:

And in and out within an hour. Service writer is getting a staycation for sure.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Conspiracy theories become dangerous when you shy away from factual items.

Flat-earthers, and moon landing deniers are just ridiculous, but harmless.

Anti-vaxxers parents, and climate change deniers who make policy are much more dangerous.
I know there's other concerns surrounding those issues, but some reject them out of conspiratorial beliefs.
Desertbreh

Melon wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:10 pm

Anti-vaxxers parents, and climate change deniers who make policy are much more dangerous.
I know there's other concerns surrounding those issues, but some reject them out of conspiratorial beliefs.
Wait, what?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:27 pm
Melon wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:10 pm

Wait, what?
You've never heard of this, Dirk? There are retards who swear that all the moon landings were faked on a Hollywood backlot. Because reasons.
Amusingly, there are also retards who swear that we have a secret moon base on the dark side of the moon.

And yes, that was a good album.
Desertbreh

wap wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:41 pm

Wait, what?
You've never heard of this, Dirk? There are retards who swear that all the moon landings were faked on a Hollywood backlot. Because reasons.
Amusingly, there are also retards who swear that we have a secret moon base on the dark side of the moon.

I was trying to feign amazement that somebody thought there were real moon landings but didn't quite land the jump.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:42 pm

I was trying to feign amazement that somebody thought there were real moon landings but didn't quite land the jump.
Yea, swing and a miss there, buddy. :lol:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Best response I heard to a moon-landing denier is to say "Oh, you're one of those that believes in the *finger quotes* "MOON." "
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Wait, what?
You've never heard of this, Dirk? There are retards who swear that all the moon landings were faked on a Hollywood backlot.
Buzz Aldrin punched one, fucking classic.
Rekt by an old man.
wap

Melon wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:48 pm

Best response I heard to a moon-landing denier is to say "Oh, you're one of those that believes in the *finger quotes* "MOON." "
Oh FFS. :rolleyes:
wap

Melon wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:49 pm

You've never heard of this, Dirk? There are retards who swear that all the moon landings were faked on a Hollywood backlot.
Buzz Aldrin punched one, fucking classic.
Rekt by an old man.
I think I remember that!
Served up a fistful of The Right Stuff. :lol:
:fuckyeah:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:09 am
SAWCE wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:56 pm Been stoned for a few hours.. got pizza, wings, and breadsticks on the way.. gonna keep the buzz rolling until I pass out
Wife went too far last night at a friend's house, threw up a few times on the way home and I had to carry her inside the house when we got home. First time that's happened, she's pretty shaken up about it.

One of the biggest hurdles for the cannabis industry is consistent outcomes for consumption.

Other than that, morning dudes!
Damn :( that sucks. Luckily I’ve never been that far gone. I spaced stuff out pretty well yesterday. Took a hit of my vape to get started, decided I wanted food, so took half an edible so that that would be kicking in around the time the ‘ a got delivered, then like halfway through eating I took two hits off a real small bowl.

Probably the most I’ve smoked in one day, but it was spaced out over several hours.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:35 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:56 pm Oh, met a QAnon believer (follower?) this weekend. Was...interesting.

She's a friend we've known for many years, lives up here not far from us. She and her husband came over this Saturday to see the house and hang. They're our age, DINKS, super normal and chill...we've always gotten along. Toward the end of the night after putting back a few bottles of wine between the 4 of us, she started asking questions about our time in California and if we'd ever witnessed devil worship out there. Wife and I glanced at each other and responded with a slow :wat: "nooooo.......?" Then she point blank asked if we we've done any "research into the truth and Qanon". Her husband rolled his eyes as hard as I've seen someone roll their eyes, tried to change the subject fast, and ushered them out within 30 minutes. Could tell we was NOT INTO IT. I was so curious that I kept asking her to elaborate, every time he tried to shut her down and change the topic. But from what I could gather, I get it. Not the conspiracy (that's :fullretard: to me) but I can see how someone might get into believing a conspiracy theory...any, and especially one so directly tied to current .gov leadership (and not directly denounced...that's the big thing here).

Isolation, boredom, and the internet being your only window to the outside world seems very dangerous. Michele said "they need more friends", and she's absolutely right. The fact that someone so normal in all other ways could be so :fullretard: with conspiracy is scary to me. Makes me wonder if this is more common than I realize.

The downside to living so remote and far away from normal (sub)urban life? :iono:
I think so. Our house is in an area with a bunch of wineries around, a few restaurants, and we're 15 min from Downtown Traverse City. It's really easy to feel normal and not isolated, but it's also easy to isolate yourself if you stop trying, or forced to like COVID. Our friends live in a more remote area...25min from downtown TC with absolutely nothing around them. They bought that far out because it was cheap, but there's downsides to that IMO. Becoming a conspiracy theorist for one.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:55 pm
wap wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:35 pm

I think so. Our house is in an area with a bunch of wineries around, a few restaurants, and we're 15 min from Downtown Traverse City. It's really easy to feel normal and not isolated, but it's also easy to isolate yourself if you stop trying, or forced to like COVID. Our friends live in a more remote area...25min from downtown TC with absolutely nothing around them. They bought that far out because it was cheap, but there's downsides to that IMO. Becoming a conspiracy theorist for one.
I don't think I could do full on middle of nowhere life. I love solitude and being in isolated places for vacation, but being around people is :nice: and certainly provides more perspective (lower likelihood of conspiracy concerns).
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:18 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:55 pm
I don't think I could do full on middle of nowhere life. I love solitude and being in isolated places for vacation, but being around people is :nice: and certainly provides more perspective (lower likelihood of conspiracy concerns).
I used to say I could go full off the grid ZFG. Now that we've been north for a few months, I don't think I could go more remote. It takes effort to get out and about. I like it because I do it on my own terms when I want to, but if it was more of a hassle, I'd probably go full blown reclusive.
troyguitar

This S20 is :plaid: compared to my old LG. I don't think I realized just how slow it was. It was like setting up a new windows PC used to be 15 years ago :doe: in that it required 7 different system update+restart cycles to get up to date. :fullretard:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:22 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:18 pm

I used to say I could go full off the grid ZFG. Now that we've been north for a few months, I don't think I could go more remote. It takes effort to get out and about. I like it because I do it on my own terms when I want to, but if it was more of a hassle, I'd probably go full blown reclusive.
Yeah, it sounds like a nice middle ground with a decent sized town nearby but still the nice in the woods vide.

I like my house in that it's suburban feel with a yard and it feels like we're not "in a city" but things are really close. I think I could be happy in a lot of areas, I wouldn't mind a more remote coastal or mountains location if there were things like bars/restaurants/gyms/other people to ride bikes with or do autox/track and stuff like that nearby.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:24 pm This S20 is :plaid: compared to my old LG. I don't think I realized just how slow it was. It was like setting up a new windows PC used to be 15 years ago :doe: in that it required 7 different system update+restart cycles to get up to date. :fullretard:
:nice:

I always liked my Samsungs pretty well. I think I had a Galaxy S, S3, and S6 or something.