Detroit Moves to the Woods?

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:43 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:07 am The whole wine host job and the lake view put the style points on this story to lift it over Brad's Airboat Ejection.
Apparently ye olde :fax: bailed on establishing his brain trust in the woods and bought some :haus: with 2 apartments or something.

:notsure:
:lolwut:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
wap wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:57 pm Imagewut:
:iono:

I heard through the grapevine, all I know.
People are saying that he came out as a black woman and moved to San Francisco.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:04 pm
[user not found] wrote:

People are saying that he came out as a black woman and moved to San Francisco.
:pftch: :lolol: :pftch:
wap

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:03 pm
wap wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:57 pm

:lolwut:

For a dude who seemed to be over :haus: maintenance shit to buy property that triples his maintenance requirement is just :wtf: to me.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:11 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:03 pm

For a dude who seemed to be over :haus: maintenance shit to buy property that triples his maintenance requirement is just :wtf: to me.
:dat: :wtf:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Just realized that I never updated this thread with the current state...

Been living in the new house up north for 2.5 months now. Absolutely love it, can't wait for it to be permanent. There's a myriad of reasons why I love it up here, which I'll probably go into a bit later maybe.

Selling the house downstate was anything but easy. Hard to say if we just miss timed the market, or if we were overpriced, or what...but it took 5 weeks to get a real offer, and it's quite a bit below what we were originally hoping for, but still making some money so whatever. Escaping is still the priority, and that's what we're focused on. The whole "real estate market on fire" thing really only applies to a few markets and certain price points. In Metro Detroit, houses over $500k are considered "luxury" and thus take longer to sell according to our real estate contacts. We definitely found that to be true. The buyers sold their smaller house on the other side of town for $300k in less than one day. The cool thing is it's a family buying the house and the husband and his dad are car guys...the garage was actually a massive selling point for him, and the wife loves the old house, so we found perfect buyers for the house. That's good to know.

Closing should take place within the next month (probably within a few weeks), then we'll close on the new house and projects begin. Not too mad about the timing because winter will be real here so being stuck inside working on the house will free up time in the summer to enjoy being outside.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

:notbad:

In4new :pinshit: projects
:popcorn:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:00 pm :notbad:

Wife has a renewed interest in saving the kitchen...floor and cabinets. She has a plan that makes me :notsure: but would easily save $10k if it works. Might try just to see. Basically just new appliances and counters.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

:fuckyeah: :tits: saving $ is 5/7
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:48 pm
wap wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:00 pm :notbad:

Wife has a renewed interest in saving the kitchen...floor and cabinets. She has a plan that makes me :notsure: but would easily save $10k if it works. Might try just to see. Basically just new appliances and counters.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:58 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:01 am The cool thing is it's a family buying the house and the husband and his dad are car guys...the garage was actually a massive selling point for him, and the wife loves the old house, so we found perfect buyers for the house. That's good to know.
GaRaGeS dOn'T AdD VaLuE :derp:
Didn't :fax: use to argue that?
ChrisoftheNorth

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:01 am The cool thing is it's a family buying the house and the husband and his dad are car guys...the garage was actually a massive selling point for him, and the wife loves the old house, so we found perfect buyers for the house. That's good to know.
Oh, they definitely don't. If I could go back in time a year, I wouldn't have touched the garage and spent $10k on adding another bathroom instead. The house probably would have sold for $50k more if we had even with the old sunken falling down garage. We had hundreds of people through our house over 5 weeks...most didn't even care to see inside the garage but bitched like crazy about the lack of bathrooms. The few people that did care about the garage couldn't afford the house. We knew it would take a special buyer, and it did. We're just lucky that we found them.

But we upgraded the house like we were going to be there in the long run...I never in my wildest dreams last year would have guessed that a global pandemic would hit and I'd WFH for the long term AND my buddy would sell our dream house AND he'd sell it to us for a great price. We're not losing money, but we're also not making a ton. The new house will be substantially cheaper in everyway plus saves my sanity, so it's absolutely a move worth making. One thing is for sure, I'm never ever building another garage. Waste. Live and learn.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:59 pm :fuckyeah: :tits: saving $ is 5/7
Yea, she really wants this move. As we had to reduce the price on the house downstate (giving us less to spend on the new), she was surprisingly willing to knock off upgrades. Kitchen is down to bare bones (though, I'm still debating just spending the money to do it all so it's done), window replacements are now bare bones, and we're even going to test ripping out the carpet and finishing the concrete underneath instead of replacing with new carpet. Major savings potential, and we'll dial up the spending as we feel out how permanent this move will be.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:50 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:59 pm :fuckyeah: :tits: saving $ is 5/7
Yea, she really wants this move. As we had to reduce the price on the house downstate (giving us less to spend on the new), she was surprisingly willing to knock off upgrades. Kitchen is down to bare bones (though, I'm still debating just spending the money to do it all so it's done), window replacements are now bare bones, and we're even going to test ripping out the carpet and finishing the concrete underneath instead of replacing with new carpet. Major savings potential, and we'll dial up the spending as we feel out how permanent this move will be.
I love the layout of your new place, nicely finished concrete floors will look cool and add to the ambiance of the home, kind of industrial like those cool NY lofts that every made for TV apartment mimics. Might be a little cold on the feet :doe:

We moved into our current house around this time last year and I'm really happy & thankful that we chose to take care of the floors. It was expensive for us and put us into the red zone to achieve. Different strokes though, I have little tykes running around so :troywax: is the lesser of two evils. One year later I feel like we have closed the gap on the financial ordeal and look forward to beginning to rebuild our finances. House prices still melting upwards, what rediculous world we live in.
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:46 pm

Oh, they definitely don't. If I could go back in time a year, I wouldn't have touched the garage and spent $10k on adding another bathroom instead. The house probably would have sold for $50k more if we had even with the old sunken falling down garage. We had hundreds of people through our house over 5 weeks...most didn't even care to see inside the garage but bitched like crazy about the lack of bathrooms. The few people that did care about the garage couldn't afford the house. We knew it would take a special buyer, and it did. We're just lucky that we found them.

But we upgraded the house like we were going to be there in the long run...I never in my wildest dreams last year would have guessed that a global pandemic would hit and I'd WFH for the long term AND my buddy would sell our dream house AND he'd sell it to us for a great price. We're not losing money, but we're also not making a ton. The new house will be substantially cheaper in everyway plus saves my sanity, so it's absolutely a move worth making. One thing is for sure, I'm never ever building another garage. Waste. Live and learn.
How many bathrooms/bedrooms did Balls Deep have?
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:50 pm
I love the layout of your new place, nicely finished concrete floors will look cool and add to the ambiance of the home, kind of industrial like those cool NY lofts that every made for TV apartment mimics. Might be a little cold on the feet :doe:

We moved into our current house around this time last year and I'm really happy & thankful that we chose to take care of the floors. It was expensive for us and put us into the red zone to achieve. Different strokes though, I have little tykes running around so :troywax: is the lesser of two evils. One year later I feel like we have closed the gap on the financial ordeal and look forward to beginning to rebuild our finances. House prices still melting upwards, what rediculous world we live in.
When we moved into our last house we had to get the floors redone before moving in...wasn't horrible, but was tough finding someone to do it quickly.

She tore the carpet up in the bedroom, and the concrete underneath wasn't terrible. Cleaned it a bit, and will take a bit more to make look :fancy: but we had a big area rug to put down from the last house that really warmed it up.

Will be interesting to try it out. Worst case, we just put carpet back over it. Out nothing but time.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:30 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:46 pm

5 bed rooms...1 full and 1 half bath. 1910, when it was built, it just had the 1 full and that was the thing. The half bath on the first floor was added in the 50's apparently. And it worked just fine for us...but most were :triggered: :nope: I'm confident that if we spent ~$10k to add a bathroom last year, it would have paid dividends when we sold it...but we didn't want another bathroom. We debated adding one now to sell, but our realtor thought that adding it now we'd run the risk of still not making people happy with placement or finishes or whatever, so it made more sense to just drop the price and let the buyers do it.

The buyers are adding a bathroom apparently before moving in because they have crotchfruit. Whatever, their house.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:48 pm I'd still build a garage, but I'd have to be there a long time to extract the worth out of it.

I'm not 100% on staying where we are (also contemplating a move somewhere) so aside from being poor, I'm not touching the garage for now. It's not falling down, that's all that matters.
I'm at the point where I'm not convinced we can stay in any place long enough to justify building a garage again. After this last time, I learned my lesson. Easier to just get out of cars and crap that require massive garages than it is to blow :fullretard: money building something to house it all. Focuses spending on areas that you can get it back, AND simplifies things drastically. I'd rather live simple in my new house than have all the shit and worried about money.

I'm :salty: :doe: That garage I built down state was epic and I didn't get to use it at all for what I built it for. Never again.

If we spend a lot of money on a project on this house, it'll be adding on another bedroom and bathroom. ~$50k would probably increase the value by $100k. 1,500sq ft 2 bed 2 bath to 2k+ sq ft 3 bed/3 bath. Far more marketable to :waxer: breeders that spend big money on houses. It's just the opposite of what we really want and certainly not what we need. Our house is incredibly perfect for us.
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:38 pm
wap wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:30 pm

5 bed rooms...1 full and 1 half bath. 1910, when it was built, it just had the 1 full and that was the thing. The half bath on the first floor was added in the 50's apparently. And it worked just fine for us...but most were :triggered: :nope: I'm confident that if we spent ~$10k to add a bathroom last year, it would have paid dividends when we sold it...but we didn't want another bathroom. We debated adding one now to sell, but our realtor thought that adding it now we'd run the risk of still not making people happy with placement or finishes or whatever, so it made more sense to just drop the price and let the buyers do it.

The buyers are adding a bathroom apparently before moving in because they have crotchfruit. Whatever, their house.
Yea that ratio is just :wrong: for most buyers these days. Guess we got lucky with our 1906 :haus: - 4 bedrooms, 2 full and 2 half baths. But it didn't even have indoor plumbing when it was built, just a well and pump in the yard. Indoor plumbing was added around 1920 and the previous owners had a kid who was a plumber and he added the 2 half baths and possibly one full bath some time in the last several decades.
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:48 pm
[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:48 pm I'd still build a garage, but I'd have to be there a long time to extract the worth out of it.

I'm not 100% on staying where we are (also contemplating a move somewhere) so aside from being poor, I'm not touching the garage for now. It's not falling down, that's all that matters.
I'm at the point where I'm not convinced we can stay in any place long enough to justify building a garage again. After this last time, I learned my lesson. Easier to just get out of cars and crap that require massive garages than it is to blow :fullretard: money building something to house it all. Focuses spending on areas that you can get it back, AND simplifies things drastically. I'd rather live simple in my new house than have all the shit and worried about money.

I'm :salty: :doe: That garage I built down state was epic and I didn't get to use it at all for what I built it for. Never again.

If we spend a lot of money on a project on this house, it'll be adding on another bedroom and bathroom. ~$50k would probably increase the value by $100k. 1,500sq ft 2 bed 2 bath to 2k+ sq ft 3 bed/3 bath. Far more marketable to :waxer: breeders that spend big money on houses. It's just the opposite of what we really want and certainly not what we need. Our house is incredibly perfect for us.
:dat: makes me :(.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:04 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:38 pm

Yea that ratio is just :wrong: for most buyers these days. Guess we got lucky with our 1906 :haus: - 4 bedrooms, 2 full and 2 half baths. But it didn't even have indoor plumbing when it was built, just a well and pump in the yard. Indoor plumbing was added around 1920 and the previous owners had a kid who was a plumber and he added the 2 half baths and possibly one full bath some time in the last several decades.
That is an :impressive: ratio for a house built in 1906, but I bet they started with one and added over the years like you said. Indoor plumbing was fancy back then.
wap

Detroit wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:24 am
wap wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:04 pm

That is an :impressive: ratio for a house built in 1906, but I bet they started with one and added over the years like you said. Indoor plumbing was fancy back then.
:dat:
The 2 :fancy: things the :haus: came with when it was originally built was electricity and hot water radiator heat. :impressive:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:44 pm
Detroit wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:24 am
The 2 :fancy: things the :haus: came with when it was originally built was electricity and hot water radiator heat. :impressive:
Hot water radiant is rather :impressive: but from my research was short lived because it was a stop gap between "unsafe" steam (there were a number of boiler explosions in the late 1800's that made steam "scary") and "safe" low pressure steam like our old house.
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:30 am
wap wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:44 pm

Hot water radiant is rather :impressive: but from my research was short lived because it was a stop gap between "unsafe" steam (there were a number of boiler explosions in the late 1800's that made steam "scary") and "safe" low pressure steam like our old house.
:iono: , but hot water radiant lives on today with low profile wall mounted radiators (common in Europe), baseboard, under floor, etc.

I'm not aware of residential steam heat still in use in any form today. Does it still exist?
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:48 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:30 am
:iono: , but hot water radiant lives on today with low profile wall mounted radiators (common in Europe), baseboard, under floor, etc.

I'm not aware of residential steam heat still in use in any form today. Does it still exist?
Oh true...I was just thinking about the time before forced air existed in the US.

Steam is too complex and expensive these days, but was all the rage back when electricity was minimal and running a water circulation pump was likely tough. Modern times it's NBD, and I think we've discussed before the virtues of hot water radiant...which are still real today.

I spent a lot of time analyzing the engineering drawings for the new house this weekend with my dad. The HVAC system (forced air) is really unique...I'll have to nerd out on it here one of these days.